Rashford and the offside conundrum

SouthernRedDev

If we start making plenty of chances, i have no problems with our strikers being off side a few times each per game.

darko

Forwards who run in behind will always get flagged off many times in a game. The few times they will get it right will create good opportunites for the team - like the way Rashord provided for Ronaldo to get a strike on goal.

My problem with Rashord is his decision making once he does have the ball. More often than not, he chooses the wrong option.

Hopefully RR can coach him to make better decisions - because think about it, after LvG, we have not had a proper coach who can train attacking players. That's 5 years of no coaching at all.
Rashford will beat one defender and try to beat another and then lose the ball.

passtheball

Rashford will beat one defender and try to beat another and then lose the ball.
True.

And it is a matter of coaching. Ronaldo was the same early on in his career, but Fergie and the senior players at United drummed it out of him. I am surprised that Ole, great striker that he was, wasn't able to make our forwards play beyond their instinct. Hopefully RR will.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
True.

And it is a matter of coaching. Ronaldo was the same early on in his career, but Fergie and the senior players at United drummed it out of him. I am surprised that Ole, great striker that he was, wasn't able to make our forwards play beyond their instinct. Hopefully RR will.
Ronaldo was miles ahead in decision making even from a start. Yes he needed some honing down and was frustrating but you simply can't compare to rashford.

People always think Ronaldo became a lethal goal scorer later on but from a young age he had a knack of scoring smart goals. He just built upon it.

Not to nation Ronaldo genuinely had ability to beat defenders quite consistently. Rashford doesn't have that skill.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
True.

Rashford is not a junior anymore

passtheball

Ronaldo was miles ahead in decision making even from a start.
Rashford is not a junior anymore
Sure, the point of my comparison was that Rashford needs coaching. As a forward, he hasn't had any for 5 years now. We know Mourinho only coached the defensive shape and never the forwards, and Ole didn't coach altogether. A world class attacking coach will significantly improve Rashford because his talent is undeniable - it is his decision making that needs work.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Sure, the point of my comparison was that Rashford needs coaching. As a forward, he hasn't had any for 5 years now. We know Mourinho only coached the defensive shape and never the forwards, and Ole didn't coach altogether. A world class attacking coach will significantly improve Rashford because his talent is undeniable - it is his decision making that needs work.
I think Rashford is the problem. He is not able to show consistency over a longer time period nor does is he good at decision making. Either he steps up or needs to sit on the bench imo

mancan92

And that's not because he is getting more offsides than normal - he is still only getting one per game at 1.1 and the only thing that's changed is the amount of time he plays because of him being subbed on and subbed off rather than finishing a full 90 mins like salah does or even Rashford did last season.

You reduce the time Rashford plays and suddenly 1 offside per match looks worse due to the amount of time he played rather than him increasing the amount of offsides he makes. Because the amount of offsides he makes is the same, what has changed is him either not starting the game or him not finishing the game.

Then you look at this thread and how it was made in January this year, not now talking about a few games that people suddenly think he has a problem about just after 8 games, 8 games where he comes on as a sub to run behind the tired defence.

When you look at his last season stats (when this thread was made) - he was getting less offisdes than matches 27 in 37 games.

It was mathematically never a problem then, and suddenly only a problem in people's head now not because Rashford is making more offsides than ever (the same quantity as so so so many players ) but because of the amount of time Rashford stays on the pitch which is less than so so so many. What would happen if he just gets one offside per match (as is his stats right now) but finishes the game for a full 90 mins? The offside per min ratio drops. That doesn't happen, he gets low match mins coming on as a sub or coming off as one and No one even contemplates what he tries to do when he comes on in the second half as an attacking substitute.

Anyway, I'm done here. You believe whatever you want, that he has a problem from one mathematical perspective including just 8 games with hardly minimal finishing of matches for 90 mins.

Then I've bought up his career stats, his last season full stats and how his stats are not bad this year because he didn't increase by quantity but more from a decrease of time on the pitch.
I don't think you understand how statistics work mate. The minutes he plays is vital to the context of the statistics.