Rashford | Back in training (22nd May 2020)

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
There's no evidence online that this injury affected him later in his career. It might have been uncomfortable but it's doubtful the injury had anything to do with his persistent knee and ankle problems or muscular issues in his legs.
That's good news. I checked Van Persie's injury record too on TransferMarkt and there was no mention of back problems also. It's still not ideal even if he has to manage it though. He's only 22. Let's just hope Rashford recovers well, has a deserved rest and can come back stronger next season. Talk of Euros is silly.

Zlatans Knee

Absolutely gutting to know it could screw us over long past when Ole is gone. Will curse everyone involved to no end
Oh for God’s sakes man. He had a slight injury which was not enough for the medical team and the player himself to decide was enough to miss out on playing. Of course as a Manager you want to then play him. It was then unlucky that he was more severely injured due to a badly timed tackle.
Ole should however avoid any questions about injuries in future because he does make himself look silly when the time to return is considerably worse than first thought.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
That's good news. I checked Van Persie's injury record too on TransferMarkt and there was no mention of back problems also. It's still not ideal even if he has to manage it though. He's only 22. Let's just hope Rashford recovers well, has a deserved rest and can come back stronger next season. Talk of Euros is silly.
Agreed. I can see that the spongier spinal bone might not heal to a stronger state like a leg bone but let's hope that any potential mismangement of this condition is recognized by the club, managment, medical staff and the England squad and that he stays home until full healed and rehabilitated.

Jericholyte2

If he doesn’t make it before the last game of the season, United need to pull rank on England and block any potential call-up for the Euros.

If he’s not fit at that point to play for club he isn’t fit enough to play for his country.

Champagne Football

The season is possibly a write-off already. The Chelsea result was huge, but we tend to lose at home to teams in the bottom half of the table. Bruno gives us a boost but.......... On a brighter note, a fully fit and fresh Rashford next season, added to possibly Grealish, Sancho and Dembele could be a blessing in disguise next season, even though I don't think we're getting Sancho.

tjb

I don't understand why people are so up in arms about this injury. I know there was a misdiagnosis, and Ole underestimated the time he would be back. But are we really going to start holding managers accountable for injuries. In 2002-03 we had half of our starting xi having surgeries due to injuries they had sustained previously. It's normal. Where it hurts us more than in the past is that we don't have the quality in depth to keep playing well when members of our xi go down. That too is not on Ole.

iKeano

Ole ran him into the ground.
This. Solskjaer flogged him to the death, same with James and AWB.
Every man and his dog could see Rashford wasnt moving well for weeks... Except the medical "experts" and coaching clowns at OT.

Amir

Ole should however avoid any questions about injuries in future because he does make himself look silly when the time to return is considerably worse than first thought.
Who cares though. Remember Fergie's 'he's two weeks away' regular comment which became a bit of a joke?

peridigm

The season is possibly a write-off already. The Chelsea result was huge, but we tend to lose at home to teams in the bottom half of the table. Bruno gives us a boost but.......... On a brighter note, a fully fit and fresh Rashford next season, added to possibly Grealish, Sancho and Dembele could be a blessing in disguise next season, even though I don't think we're getting Sancho.
Yeah, I don't think we're getting Sancho either. Would not even entertain muppetry over that one unless we see a Here we go from Fabrizio.
I'm more worried about Rashford's long term status. Back injuries are nothing to mess with and a double fracture could be one of those injuries that nag him for the rest of his career. He was presumably 100% fit at the start of the season. Do we know when the first injury occurred and why he continued to play with such a risky injury to begin with?

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Rashford is very good but I felt our Euro starting XI would be Sterling Kane Sancho regardless. Or even Sterling Ings Sancho if Kane is injured + Given Ings' amazing form.
Isn't Sterling also out long term injured...and I really don't get why people keep thinking Sancho is better than any of him, Rashford or Kane. He's not even close.

That's not even really a criticism of him either. All three of those guarantee you 20+ goals a season at any level, plus a whole bunch of assists on top of that. Sancho guarantees you some nice pieces of skill and running quite fast...except Sterling and Rashford also do that anyway.

Sancho could well be challenging one of them when he's around the age Rashford is now, but he's got a way to go to get there. The bar is probably higher in that area of the pitch than it is for any other national team in the world.

Gasolin

It's not a matter of luck. We've had far too many random injuries and mismanaged returns from injury for it to be that. Its incompetence from our medical team.
But that's not just with Ole though. So our medical team needs a review, that's all. Stop saying Ole ran him on the ground, he didn't. The medical team thought it was OK to sub him, that's the problem.

Gasolin

Is it just me or our injuries almost always "worse than originally expected"?

Other than Maguire every single one has been longer than initially thought. Who the feck have we got in our medical dpt.

England never learn from past mistakes, Rashford and Kane will both go and be nowhere near their best, while Danny Ings will be sat on his couch.
Scott is earlier than the others but yeah, we need to have a talk with the medical staff. Why can't they properly address issues with our injured players? They are the ones giving recommendation to the manager.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Isn't Sterling also out long term injured...and I really don't get why people keep thinking Sancho is better than any of him, Rashford or Kane. He's not even close.

That's not even really a criticism of him either. All three of those guarantee you 20+ goals a season at any level, plus a whole bunch of assists on top of that. Sancho guarantees you some nice pieces of skill and running quite fast...except Sterling and Rashford also do that anyway.

Sancho could well be challenging one of them when he's around the age Rashford is now, but he's got a way to go to get there. The bar is probably higher in that area of the pitch than it is for any other national team in the world.
That's a bit of a stretch, given Rashford has never scored 20+ in a season (yet).

the chameleon

The medical staff need to be fired. But the real culprit here is Ole who decided to take a risk knowing he was injured and we had a big game. His whole bring subs on after the 80th minute is a major concern. I was neutral in the Ole in debate and didn't mind him here. But the way he has dealt with Rashford has set alarm bells ringing about Ole as our manager. He's had some major players injured. I would be surprised if he runs Fred down until he gets injured too. He doesn't seem to learn from his lessons.

Gasolin

The medical staff need to be fired. But the real culprit here is Ole who decided to take a risk knowing he was injured and we had a big game. His whole bring subs on after the 80th minute is a major concern. I was neutral in the Ole in debate and didn't mind him here. But the way he has dealt with Rashford has set alarm bells ringing about Ole as our manager. He's had some major players injured. I would be surprised if he runs Fred down until he gets injured too. He doesn't seem to learn from his lessons.
Tell me how the manager can be at fault when the staff tells him he can be selected? Do you think Ole can select a player who doesn't have a go from the medical staff? How does that work? Do you think our managers overrule, all of our managers btw, all overrule the medical staff opinions?

And Ole is known for rotating already. If we cannot rotate, that's because the squad is thin and our rotating players are not that good. But we will reach that point at some point, that's about it.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
As a medical professional, I cringe every time Ole talks about any injury. I really really hope he doesn't have any authority behind the scenes with decision making behind injury management/game playing.

Honestly, I would blame the organizational structure more than Ole if he has power to make medical decisions behind the scenes.

I just can't see anyone with a credential looking at Rashford's scans, seeing signs of spondylolysis, knowing he's had it before, and think to himself "Oh yea, I can tell the boss he's good to go against Wolves, no doubt". It just doesn't happen. You'd lose your medical credentials with such a clear mental brainfart - unless of course you were a football manager and didn't have to be accountable to your medical credentials (or lack thereof with Ole).

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Every man and his dog could see Rashford wasnt moving well for weeks... Except the medical "experts" and coaching clowns at OT.
Agreed. It’s plain obvious Rashford should have rest in some games when he looks tired and unfit from overplaying. But Ole kept playing him regardless.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
Is there any indication from the club that they are looking to address the extraordinary injury rate we have and have had? Any articles about new tech or updating data collection, anything?

I can't believe the club isn't sleuthing around for answers to why half the team is always out.

meamth

Just want to say one thing.

Those blaming and insulting Ole is immature pricks.

Shut up.

JoeyJoJoJrShabadoo

Hope we just let Rashford rest from here until start of next season. Hope he doesnt go to Euros. He has a serious chance to be a worldie for us and I hope he doesnt go the way of Norman Whiteside. It's back not knee thankfully, but It can be incredibly problematic.

TheGodsInRed

Is there any indication from the club that they are looking to address the extraordinary injury rate we have and have had? Any articles about new tech or updating data collection, anything?

I can't believe the club isn't sleuthing around for answers to why half the team is always out.
This was last season:

https://www.90min.com/posts/6389205...-each-club-suffered-during-the-2018-19-season

United had 61 injuries! As for this season, top of the table again...

https://talksport.com/football/483205/number-of-injuries-suffered-premier-league-club-this-season/

JoeyJoJoJrShabadoo

All the injuries are different. If it was similar things like 4 or 5 ankle strains then the surface may need replaced. But it's a variety. Rashford back fracture. Dalot hip issues. Pogba ankle. McT knee. Martial was hamstring. Tuanzebe also hamstring. Bailly knee.

If anything we are actually lucky the only serious injury was TFM on loan.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Really? I love to know who every man and his dog was who could see he wasn't moving well for weeks before the injury against Wolves on Jan 15th.

He won PFA player of the month in December, no mention of not moving properly then, and a quick glance through the threads leading up to the injury, no one mentioned he wasn't moving properly, to be fair a couple of posters said "I hope we don't burn him out" but far more were comparing him to Ronaldo, which suggest he was playing and moving pretty well. In fact the Norwich game before the injury against Wolves he scored twice, he was then taken off and Ole said he was struggling slightly.

There are plenty of sticks to beat Ole with but this post is just plain wrong,there is some serious revisionism going on here!

Beans

Supports
Neutral
All the injuries are different. If it was similar things like 4 or 5 ankle strains then the surface may need replaced. But it's a variety. Rashford back fracture. Dalot hip issues. Pogba ankle. McT knee. Martial was hamstring. Tuanzebe also hamstring. Bailly knee.

If anything we are actually lucky the only serious injury was TFM on loan.
Apparently players are much more likely to pick up an injury when they're in the "red" as far as pushing themselves to the limit of their energy and endurance. I can't help but wonder if we're pushing players to their limits too often. Many people were expecting McT to get injured when he did because he was almost never rested.

One year I would call an anomaly. It's been 10 years, I can't believe we're utilizing best methods.

Tarrou

It's just not worth the risk is it? Even if he came back just before the end of the season, he wouldn't have time to get up-to speed.

The clubs poor squad management has directly led to this. Going into the season with so few forwards has obviously put too much strain on the ones we do have.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Just want him fit and firing at the start of next season. That has to be the priority rather than getting him back at the fag end of this one.

MittenCrab

I'm surprised we haven't heard anything about Rashford being booked in for an ankle operation to clean out those bone fragments that have been a known issue for a while. I would have thought now would be the perfect moment to do it and get him back 100% fit, whether at the end of this season or the start of the next.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
We don't know what's going on behind the scene. People are making non-logic assumption.

Ole is a former player. He knows more than you lot that he shouldn't be playing injury players. If Rashford is not allowed to play then it's physio job or the medical department task to inform the manager. The football manager has no knowledge about medical thing.

The fact that Rashford was on the bench against Wolves, it shows that the medical department must had informed the manager that he's okay to play but not 90 minutes.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Players get a huge say in matters. I used to know a fella played for Fulham, he told me players who don't want to train or play in a game can say their calf muscle is tight. Impossible to prove it isn't.

Players who are feeling any kind of pain can excuse themselves from matches. If Rashford played then it's because Ole asked him if he felt okay and wanted to play and he said yes.

The big bad Ole schtick is really tiresome.
Fecking this. I guess most people on here have been in some kind of pain in their life, it is kinda hard for others to tell how much pain you are in. If Rashford was in so much pain could barely walk or sit down as some people claimed, i highly doubt he would have played. Seen a player go down on the pitch? They are the ones who have to signal to the bench if they need to come off or not, then and there the doctors can only make a guess

Im not a doctor, but seeing as its a stress fracture it has been gradually caused over time, and thus have been poorly managed and treated for a long time. If he did not get injured vs Wolves, he probably would have vs Liverpool (if he played). People also seem to forget these guys train for 4-5 hours, 5 days a week. The time they are on the pitch is only a small fraction of the physical activity and stress their bodies undergo.

Yes, he was poorly managed/treated, but it had nothing to do with with the Wolves game, it was done over a long period of time and it should have been picked up and handled much, much earlier

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
I'm surprised we haven't heard anything about Rashford being booked in for an ankle operation to clean out those bone fragments that have been a known issue for a while. I would have thought now would be the perfect moment to do it and get him back 100% fit, whether at the end of this season or the start of the next.
I thought he has had the ankle surgery no?

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
I know there was a misdiagnosis, and Ole underestimated the time he would be back.
There was no mis-diagnosis, an ITK broke the news about his stress fracture 2 days before our match. I even created a thread which was locked down. Henry Winter also confirmed on match-day that he suffered a double stress fracture while he was carrying a single stress fracture in his back.

Ole tried to downplay this as you can see here:

And he was subsequently called out by Jamie O'Hara and van Persie for it.

Van Persie said "'Then with the first team after I made my debut I played another six months, Sunday-Thursday, Sunday-Thursday. And then I had a similar injury, a stress fracture in my lower back. I was out with that for four months."
Time-frame put by Ole was always in cuckoo land as anyone who'd suffered a stress fracture told how lengthy the rehab process is.

But are we really going to start holding managers accountable for injuries.
Yes we can, if they are continuously gambling on players fitness. Many folks on here think medical team convey their message to manager in absolutes when it doesn't work that like that, many time managers risk a player when the game is of importance while understanding if it could backfire. See Rooney playing with a fecked ankle v Bayern, or Diego Costa starting a CL final 10 days after pulling his hamstring. The sad part is that managers generally do so for big must-win matches whereas Ole risked him for a 4th round FA Cup replay at home to Wolves... That is after playing him through the entire Christmas period...

If it was an isolated incident I would give him benefit of the doubt, but that's not the case as I highlighted it in one of my earlier posts.

Solskjaer admitted he took a risk in introducing a less than 100 per cent Rashford, who is now doubtful for the trip to runaway Premier League leaders Liverpool on Sunday afternoon.

“I didn’t want to play him. I think he got a knock, a knee or something, in his back, but he’s been struggling for a little while,” the United manager said of Rashford, who has scored 19 times for United this season.

“That’s why we’ve kept him away (from starting against Wolves), but we needed the win. He was involved in the goal so that was a positive but it backfired.

He’s a quick healer and he’ll play through some pain, definitely, if he’s capable and it’s not a bad, bad injury, but we’ve seen that he’s struggled lately.

“But that’s been more when he’s been tired. He wasn’t on long enough to be tired so it might be something that just happened there and then.

“He’s been absolutely top this season so we’ll do anything and everything we can to get him fit for Sunday. If he’s not then we’ll play without him.”
This is not an isolated incident. We have precedents on the same issue, he rushed Pogba vs Rochdale because he was under immense pressure to get a result and it ended up with us only scraping a draw and Pogba injuring his ankle. Three days later, he played him again versus Arsenal at home. Again result was a draw but this time Pogba fecked his ankle and missed 4 months of football. McTominay played additional 40 minutes vs Wolves with a knee-injury and is now out for few months. He repeated the same mistake with Maguire few weeks back, thankfully he didn't aggravate his injury too badly.

Going back to last season, he did the same with Lingard when he rushed him out at home to Liverpool, he got injured like 5 mins after coming on. I mean how many incidents do these people need before they realize that this has been a constant theme under Ole?
Just like his in-game management, his injury and squad management is also full of naive mistakes.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Agree but we needed him and he was still effective. He’s one of the main players now and it’s good he’ll play through knocks.
Shite management though.

Gasolin

As a medical professional, I cringe every time Ole talks about any injury. I really really hope he doesn't have any authority behind the scenes with decision making behind injury management/game playing.

Honestly, I would blame the organizational structure more than Ole if he has power to make medical decisions behind the scenes.

I just can't see anyone with a credential looking at Rashford's scans, seeing signs of spondylolysis, knowing he's had it before, and think to himself "Oh yea, I can tell the boss he's good to go against Wolves, no doubt". It just doesn't happen. You'd lose your medical credentials with such a clear mental brainfart - unless of course you were a football manager and didn't have to be accountable to your medical credentials (or lack thereof with Ole).
So Ole overrides medical advices ?!?
The same medical team who didn’t know Évra had an allergy to eggs?

Deery

Dreary
Give him the season and the summer off to valuable to take a chance on make sure he is fully healed for next season.
A back injury could haunt him for life but here’s hoping it doesn’t..

Red00012

Wait .....

Can we start a thread saying “ Is Rashford as good as gone “?