Rashford | Back in training (22nd May 2020)

Gasolin

You should smell under my duvet when I eat eggs.
Are you aware of the Évra story or not at all? The medical staff has not been great for sure. It has been the case for several managers now.

oz insomniac

Ok, here's the picture.
Norwegian player, Norwegian manager, manager is someone who the player grew up looking up to.
Woodward to negotiate the deal.
What could go wrong, after all one of them can do things others dream of.
The longer we keep a couple of virus at the club, one player/one CEO, the more difficult and long term improvement will be .

Godfather

God these comments from O'Hara and RvP are grim. Sounds like this could hunt him for a long time. Poor guy.

JoeyJoJoJrShabadoo

Our medical staff is probably up there with all the others in club football. Take Phil Jones shopping list of injuries out the equation and we probably are on similar level to everyone else. I imagine Wolves are about to be hit with serious injury problems as the games come in thick and fast as they have been crazy crazy lucky so far.

zenith

I hope he rests it out properly and there is no hurry to return any time soon. The boy has his entire career ahead of him and we have no business risking him.

England too has great options in sterling and Sancho and don't have to rely on rashford.

Wish him a smooth and swift recovery, if not a speedy one.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Isn't Sterling also out long term injured...and I really don't get why people keep thinking Sancho is better than any of him, Rashford or Kane. He's not even close.

That's not even really a criticism of him either. All three of those guarantee you 20+ goals a season at any level, plus a whole bunch of assists on top of that. Sancho guarantees you some nice pieces of skill and running quite fast...except Sterling and Rashford also do that anyway.

Sancho could well be challenging one of them when he's around the age Rashford is now, but he's got a way to go to get there. The bar is probably higher in that area of the pitch than it is for any other national team in the world.
Sterling doesn't have a serious injury, if I'm not mistaken he started training already.

And let's not over hype our player, Sancho is a far superior player to Rashford. Rashford can't operate intricate 1-2s, wriggle out of tight positions or maintain his decision making anywhere near as consistently as Sancho can. Sancho is phenomenal, and Rashford can be phenomenal in patches.

Out of the two, it would have been Sancho starting on the right anyway for the euros anyway.

But that's not just with Ole though. So our medical team needs a review, that's all. Stop saying Ole ran him on the ground, he didn't. The medical team thought it was OK to sub him, that's the problem.
When did I say he did???

Grande

As a medical professional, I cringe every time Ole talks about any injury. I really really hope he doesn't have any authority behind the scenes with decision making behind injury management/game playing.

Honestly, I would blame the organizational structure more than Ole if he has power to make medical decisions behind the scenes.

I just can't see anyone with a credential looking at Rashford's scans, seeing signs of spondylolysis, knowing he's had it before, and think to himself "Oh yea, I can tell the boss he's good to go against Wolves, no doubt". It just doesn't happen. You'd lose your medical credentials with such a clear mental brainfart - unless of course you were a football manager and didn't have to be accountable to your medical credentials (or lack thereof with Ole).
Are you a physician? A nurse?

Would you imagine that managers had the task of looking at scans and making prognosis at football clubs, not the doctors and medical staff? And if a doctor said: Looking at the scans, this player is fit to play - would you expect the manager to look at the scans and say, 'no, these are signs of spondylosis, I think I'm a better judge of that than you.'

Or what, as a medical professional, do you expect have happened?

Not even Mourinho was responsible for injury management at clubs, even if he's run a quite a few players into the ground to win trophies, he had to opt for a wrongful dismissal once because even he couldn't get past the medically responsible physician.

Mike Smalling

Terrible news. Was hoping for a real boost towards the end of the season, which could help us in the fight for 4th. I guess we should only bring him back this season if we are actually still in contention when he is ready. Otherwise there would be no need to risk him.

I fear we won't be in for a lot of goals in the remainder of the season. Hopefully Martial can step up his overall game, and even more contribution from Greenwood would also be welcome.

RedDevilRoshi

I hope he rests it out properly and there is no hurry to return any time soon. The boy has his entire career ahead of him and we have no business risking him.

England too has great options in sterling and Sancho and don't have to rely on rashford.

Wish him a smooth and swift recovery, if not a speedy one.
This

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
I'm sure he'll be targeting to come back for the Euros.
Feck that. Season off and summer off needed. The next 10 years at United is far more important than the next 4 months and especially England. Who honestly cares that much about England? I'm an Englishman and couldn't give a rats about the national team.

redDNA

Supports
Enyimba FC of Aba
Something is definitely wrong with the way Ole manages players or our medical team needs a review .
Ole does rotate but in the wrong areas and wrong players. Didnt Ole rush Lingard back early last season suffered a setback?What of Pogba?Was he not rushed back again Rochdale?It was obvious that McT needed s break before he got injured.
Thank God for the winter break he would have ran Maguire and Fred to the ground, didn't Maguire have an injury scare against Tranmere in a match that he should have rested?
I'm not a medical person, but something doesn't seem right with our medical team.I mean we couldn't detect that Lukaku had a digestive issue making him to gain weight until he moved to inter.
As a club we need a proper review at all levels in all departments.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Feck that. Season off and summer off needed. The next 10 years at United is far more important than the next 4 months and especially England. Who honestly cares that much about England? I'm an Englishman and couldn't give a rats about the national team.
I'm Welsh so I certainly don't care! But realistically that's how players think, he won't want to risk missing the Euros but may want to get a few games under his belt at the end of the season to build match fitness for them.

ThinkTank@Cafe

Sterling doesn't have a serious injury, if I'm not mistaken he started training already.

And let's not over hype our player, Sancho is a far superior player to Rashford. Rashford can't operate intricate 1-2s, wriggle out of tight positions or maintain his decision making anywhere near as consistently as Sancho can. Sancho is phenomenal, and Rashford can be phenomenal in patches.

Out of the two, it would have been Sancho starting on the right anyway for the euros anyway.
Sancho is phenomenal in a much weaker league. Sancho over Rashford on England’s right is as safe bet as Brazil winning against American Samoa. Rashford is useless on the right wing, not his position. They are different players whose strengths and weaknesses compliment each other.

tenpoless

I hope this injury won't haunt him for the rest of his career. That would be a tremendous shame. He's also our only hope for this season (because Pogba is too busy planning world domination with his fat feck agent).

I'll watch Lukaku play 10 matches if it means preventing Rashford from playing through injuries and risking his future.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Sancho is phenomenal in a much weaker league. Sancho over Rashford on England’s right is as safe bet as Brazil winning against American Samoa. Rashford is useless on the right wing, not his position. They are different players whose strengths and weaknesses compliment each other.
Which is why I don't think Rashford would start in Euros anyway. It would be Sterling left and Sancho right under a full team. That's what I had expected anyway.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Which is why I don't think Rashford would start in Euros anyway. It would be Sterling left and Sancho right under a full team. That's what I had expected anyway.
I think the feeling was that He'd play as the 9 for England after Kane got hurt. No chance of that now though. Be surprised if either of them go to the Euros.

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron
Something is definitely wrong with the way Ole manages players or our medical team needs a review .
Ole does rotate but in the wrong areas and wrong players. Didnt Ole rush Lingard back early last season suffered a setback?What of Pogba?Was he not rushed back again Rochdale?It was obvious that McT needed s break before he got injured.
Thank God for the winter break he would have ran Maguire and Fred to the ground, didn't Maguire have an injury scare against Tranmere in a match that he should have rested?
I'm not a medical person, but something doesn't seem right with our medical team.I mean we couldn't detect that Lukaku had a digestive issue making him to gain weight until he moved to inter.
As a club we need a proper review at all levels in all departments.
Of course something is wrong.

Only the naive believes in freak coincidences and repeatedly long term injuries. This problem is on a bigger scale and unless we let some independent authority look into it our problems will continue.

One Gunnar Solskjaer is a huge part of the decision process so to call him blameless is delusion of highest order.
It's easy to understand a managers will to play the best team available but it's in these situations we separate a naive and short sighted manager from an experienced and professional manager. Using a exhausted and partly injured star player in the last final of the season is one thing, it's another dimension of failure to play your star player when he's unfit and fragile and play your biggest talent and best goal scorer into the ground in the middle of the season. That's borderline incompetence. No two ways about this.

noodlehair

"It's like..."

Not really. Sancho is another one of these players on here who people make out is about 10 times better than he is. He's skillful and very promising but that's where you're at with him. He's playing in an easy league for a team it's easy to play for and still not really matching the other three in terms of output. Kane has been carrying Spurs for years. Rashford literally winning games on his own for United against some of the best teams around. Sterling a leading player in a team that's dominated English football for 2 years.

Rashford based on this season would be ahead of Sterling based on performances for club. He'd be ahead of Sterling and Kane based on performances for England. It's not overhyping, it's just how things have gone this season...over the past year really. In reality all three would obviously start because they are England's three best players by a fecking mile, and for once you can actually fit all three of them into a startling line up in positions they are suited to.

You don't play forwards because they can wriggle out of tight spaces and maintain decision making. You play them to score goals and win you games. Otherwise you'd be picking someone like Mhikitaryan over peak Ronaldo, and someone like Harry Kane would never get a game for anyone. Someone like Martial would be considered a better player than Lukaku (which of course people on here claimed until this season when the truth was thrown into their face).

I don't know if people don't watch Sancho or these players play properly and just make silly assumptions, or do and just don't understand what they are watching, but it really isn't an area of debate. For a start Sancho would play on the right for England. Rashford plays on the left for England. So you'd actually drop Sterling for Sancho, and again, just no.

Doracle

Rashford outperformed Sancho in the England matches pre Christmas and both have been in phenomenal form for their clubs since. If fit, Rashford would start on the left and Sterling on the right, with Sancho being a fantastic option to replace either of them if it wasn’t working.

Red Star One

Shouldn't have risked him against Norwich, shouldn't have played against Wolves. I remember people more knowledgeable than me on this forum mentioning that we shouldn't take too many gambles with Rashford when he's not fully fit or only coming back to fitness. Well, all I can hope for is that Ole's gamble will not ruin this boy's career and will not cause some long term damage.

wolvored

Isn't Sterling also out long term injured...and I really don't get why people keep thinking Sancho is better than any of him, Rashford or Kane. He's not even close.

That's not even really a criticism of him either. All three of those guarantee you 20+ goals a season at any level, plus a whole bunch of assists on top of that. Sancho guarantees you some nice pieces of skill and running quite fast...except Sterling and Rashford also do that anyway.

Sancho could well be challenging one of them when he's around the age Rashford is now, but he's got a way to go to get there. The bar is probably higher in that area of the pitch than it is for any other national team in the world.
Has rashford scored 20 goals a season yet?

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Has rashford scored 20 goals a season yet?
To be fair he has already scored 19 goals midway through the season.
If not for his injury, could have scored 35+ goals by end of season, to be very honest.

Lee565

Of course something is wrong.

Only the naive believes in freak coincidences and repeatedly long term injuries. This problem is on a bigger scale and unless we let some independent authority look into it our problems will continue.

One Gunnar Solskjaer is a huge part of the decision process so to call him blameless is delusion of highest order.
It's easy to understand a managers will to play the best team available but it's in these situations we separate a naive and short sighted manager from an experienced and professional manager. Using a exhausted and partly injured star player in the last final of the season is one thing, it's another dimension of failure to play your star player when he's unfit and fragile and play your biggest talent and best goal scorer into the ground in the middle of the season. That's borderline incompetence. No two ways about this.
We see it with the best managers who good ability to manage a squad over an entire season to keep their best protected as much as possible, fergie use to be great at it to have strong end of season run ins, we've seen klopp doing it this season.

ThinkTank@Cafe

Rashford outperformed Sancho in the England matches pre Christmas and both have been in phenomenal form for their clubs since. If fit, Rashford would start on the left and Sterling on the right, with Sancho being a fantastic option to replace either of them if it wasn’t working.
This is what Southgate thinks too, it seems. England have best wing forwards in the world. Sancho as a bench option is a sign of phenomenal quality of depth.

Robertd0803

Im not surprised. Considering the type of injury its probably better that he doesnt come back this season and certainly doesnt play at the Euros so he is set for next year instead of rushing back like Rooney in 2010 for example.

iKeano

Really? I love to know who every man and his dog was who could see he wasn't moving well for weeks before the injury against Wolves on Jan 15th.

He won PFA player of the month in December, no mention of not moving properly then, and a quick glance through the threads leading up to the injury, no one mentioned he wasn't moving properly, to be fair a couple of posters said "I hope we don't burn him out" but far more were comparing him to Ronaldo, which suggest he was playing and moving pretty well. In fact the Norwich game before the injury against Wolves he scored twice, he was then taken off and Ole said he was struggling slightly.

There are plenty of sticks to beat Ole with but this post is just plain wrong,there is some serious revisionism going on here!
There's a thread about our fitness regime and injuries, Olé & the medical team have been called into question numerous times about injuries to Shaw, Maguire, McTominay when they were left on the pitch. Same goes for Rashford in January. I was mostly refering to talk on the stands as opposed to forum threads in any event.

Speaking of January, it comes after December. 15th January being some two WEEKS after December.

Plenty of sticks to beat Olé & his clown-medics with and the over-use and treatment of injured players is most definitely a valid one.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Let’s get this post out the way: Give him extra time if needs be. Only have him back when he’s absolutely ready.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Let’s get this post out the way: Give him extra time if needs be. Only have him back when he’s absolutely ready.
Unfortunately the way we've rushed players back this season this won't be the case, I can see us going into next season with a half injured Rashford.

If the club had any sense they'd do what you suggested.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Coming back in May makes sense tbf. Out all of February, March, April and half of January when the injury came. 3.5 months. Not much time to do anything for us, might get back in time for the last league game or 2, or the cup finals if we make them.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Yeah, rushing him back would be absolutely criminal. I'm actually hoping he gets a break over the summer to fully recover for next season, no England business.

Snafu17

The actual fracture was suppose to heal in about 6 weeks wasn't it? So he should just about be starting the physical therapy or whatnot.

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
So Rashford and Pogba are both likely to be back for the Euros?

They're gonna come back injured, aren't they?

L1nk

Rushing him in was what caused this in the first place for crying out loud, what the hell are we doing as a club if we are trying to rush him back in again.