Rashford considering his future...

glasgow 21

remember he got dogs abuse after his penalty miss at the euros, from 'fans' - i use the term loosely, and media alike. that's bound to have an impact. it's no coincidence either that maguire, shaw, sancho et al had poor starts to their seasons also, as did the likes of harry kane.
i hope he pulls through whatever funk he's on and ETH plays him properly this season.
i think we can write off last year poor performance to the year he played with injuries. So it is all square with me as we go forward. To balance that, if he doesn't respond to opportunities given under Ten Hag in a manner we expect then we can all agree time to shift him on. At least there is a possibility that his value will increase if Utd play well in general.

For one game, the coaches had worked intensively on what they wanted Rashford to do, in and out of possession. Rashford was a substitute and when he entered the play it quickly became clear he was not going to follow the plan. Again, it was a source of considerable frustration on the touchline. More than anything, it was just perplexing for Rangnick and his coaches. Rashford, it was concluded, did not seem to take on board instructions.
For his part, Rashford felt there were times when Rangnick overloaded the players with instructions. A lot of those players were never convinced by the man who had been brought in to replace Ole Gunnar Solskjaer. Some had to search his name on Google. Rangnick just did not have the authority that was required to manage an elite club.
Then we flashback to Ole's time after a bit about Rashford's shoulder injury:

Rashford was back in contention by October, returning for the 4-2 defeat to Leicester City that was the beginning of the end for Solskjaer. After that, nothing really went right. Rashford saw himself as match-fit but not match-sharp. He wanted a run of games to sharpen his mind and told Solskjaer he would not be back to his best until he had three consecutive 90-minute performances. It never materialised and, when he made the same request to Rangnick, it was denied him again. Rangnick’s view was that an elite player should not need this kind of special treatment, especially when he was not playing well enough to stay in the team.
Towards the end of the season, Rashford talked to Rangnick and said the problem was that he was being asked to play on the right. Rashford’s belief has always been that he can operate on the right, and that he understands the need to be versatile, but that he is a more dangerous player on the left. Jose Mourinho, United’s former manager, used to tell him the same. Rashford’s belief is that he can be among the best players in Europe in that left-sided role.
Others feel that he has become too predictable in that position and too reliant on his trick of stepping inside to shoot with his right foot. Either way, a frustrated Rangnick pointed out that he had never asked Rashford to stick rigidly to one side of the pitch. Rashford, it was explained, always had a licence to roam and the freedom, in the correct moments, to drift infield, swap flanks and find space. It was seen as a failure on the player’s part that he did not make it work.
From a piece in The Athletic that also includes bits about his preseason, thinking of leaving last year etc.

Yakuza_devils

Good to see him and Martial doing very well under ETH. Need to work harder and put in more efforts to get back to his best.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
To be honest I have absolutely no doubts that Ten Hag will get Rashford firing again. Last season was a fluke season from all. Before that, Rashford had back to back 20 goal seasons. Add an attacking system where we dominate the play, he'll be more consistent and have more chances in better positions. He'll be fine.

Withnail

To be honest I have absolutely no doubts that Ten Hag will get Rashford firing again. Last season was a fluke season from all. Before that, Rashford had back to back 20 goal seasons. Add an attacking system where we dominate the play, he'll be more consistent and have more chances in better positions. He'll be fine.
Those were always my thoughts to be honest. There's definitely talent there and he's a proven goal-scorer. EtH can surely get him back to his best or even a level above what we've seen from him thus far. It'd be a shame if his drop-off in form was permanent.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Those were always my thoughts to be honest. There's definitely talent there and he's a proven goal-scorer. EtH can surely get him back to his best or even a level above what we've seen from him thus far. It'd be a shame if his drop-off in form was permanent.
Yeah. And you look at our team, Sancho, martial, Bruno/Eriksen/Frenkie.... I think they'll all do well having Rashford alongside them providing the pace in behind. He's always been class at making those runs, and it keeps defences guessing and it'll be vital to Ten Hag. Can't have all the players wanting to come short and be playmakers, Rashford provides a nice direct/off the ball threat with his movement.

I just think Ronaldo was not a good fit with any of our other attackers. Bruno goes into little brother mode, Ronaldo takes up the same positions as Rashford but with no pace or movement (and assigned to be a striker), martial no longer is on the pitch.... There's a spot for Ronaldo in the squad, but i think it's more as an impact player. We'll see how Ten Hag uses him since nobody else wants him, but i just think the others will just be a better fit with each other and get the best out of each other. Rashford more than anyone.