Rashford | Food for kids campaign continues

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Having led a successful campaign to continue free school meals/food vouchers through the summer holiday, Marcus is back in action. This time with a series of demands to provide continuing support to all families on universal credit.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Having led a successful campaign to continue free school meals/food vouchers through the summer holiday, Marcus is back in action. This time with a series of demands to provide continuing support to all families on universal credit.

This lad should be prime minister.

reelworld

So proud of him.
And also what an absolute shambles is the govt that it took a 23 year old footballer to make them do this

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Needs to get off social media and focus on football. Or something.
It’s an amazing thing he’s doing. Couldn’t be more impressed by him as a person. And one in the eye for all the dickheads who were judging his personality by his choice of clothes. He deserves all the plaudits he’s getting and more.

Buuuuuuuut, his form has declined since he started this campaign. It must take a hell of a lot of time and emotional energy to do what he’s doing. We hear a lot about how important rest is to reach and maintain peak performance and Rashford seems to be pouring his heart and soul into this, so it has to be eating up his downtime. Is it really outrageous to wonder if maybe this is the sort of distraction that might affect the level of performance an elite athlete can produce?

passing-wind

He's got a wonderful spirit and a good heart. 23 years of age is young and many people in his position would be overcome by the gratification of his career but he's using his status to positively influence communities and societies.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Sir Marcus Rashford. His maturity at young age is just brilliant. Hope he is successful in his campaigns.

Rolaholic

One of the best role models in sport right now,so glad he's a Red and Manc born and bred :drool:

RashyForPM

It’s an amazing thing he’s doing. Couldn’t be more impressed by him as a person. And one in the eye for all the dickheads who were judging his personality by his choice of clothes. He deserves all the plaudits he’s getting and more.

Buuuuuuuut, his form has declined since he started this campaign. It must take a hell of a lot of time and emotional energy to do what he’s doing. We hear a lot about how important rest is to reach and maintain peak performance and Rashford seems to be pouring his heart and soul into this, so it has to be eating up his downtime. Is it really outrageous to wonder if maybe this is the sort of distraction that might affect the level of performance an elite athlete can produce?
No doubt. However, this gesture is still absolutely admirable, so I have no qualms (obviously) with him pursuing it during recuperation from injuries or holidays. During the season though, he has to first and foremost ensure he plays to the best of his abilities, and we all know how good that is.

For what it’s worth, we know what some people are like, so I must clarify that there is absolutely no hidden dig here. It’s just my opinion and if he would rather do this instead of relaxing during his downtime while still scoring 25 goals next season, it’s all good.

Turnip

likes to be spanked with games consoles
I get people's concerns about whether this is effecting his form, but lets be honest no 23 year old millionaire is sitting and watching Friends eating an apple on his days off. Better this than getting wasted and shagging prostitutes, or his brother's wife. When you only train a few hours a day and then have nothing planned you've got to keep yourself busy somehow.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!

It seems far more likely for that to be linked to him having injured his back and not being entirely comfortable yet.

Rolaholic

It seems far more likely for that to be linked to him having injured his back and not being entirely comfortable yet.
Agreed. People seem to forget that there were serious worries about his back injury possibly being career threatening long term.

The fact he was even able to finish the season, when he wasn't planning on it and looked in doubt for the Euros, was only due to extraordinary circumstances.

Not to mention the fact that the team played a double digit amount of games in the span of a month and I genuinely think his drop in form had much more to do with recovering from serious injury rather than his focus off the pitch affecting his play on it.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
I think you're confusing the timeline there. He's been involved in the campaign for a while but started to take a more active role and look like a campaign leader while he couldn't play while he was still on rest/rehab for his back injury. He wasn't expected to come back from that injury until May, at earliest. As it turned out, no one was playing in May - so the layoff continued. Meanwhile, the issues he already cared about were getting more pressing. But by the time we started playing again, he'd already won round one of his food campaign.

Now, here we are again - a big moment in publicity terms with the schools going back, but also during a lull while he does physio on his ankle and gets ready for a new season. So, he's not playing golf, he's on zoom chatting to supermarket bosses and deciding when to do an interview with the BBC. Hopefully he finds it energising and it tops up his mental energy rather than drains him.

At any rate, I hope his friends/family and his sponsors/the club are looking after him. I think he knows what his job is, and for now I trust that he can get the right support if he does need to step back a bit from the campaigning once the season is underway,

United Hobbit

Definitely hope to see him on the honours list, his mum must be so proud of him. Possible contender for sports personality of the year as well?
I dont think he could win our player of the year award as there are a couple of others who have been more consistent over the season, however I hope the club do a special award for him to recognise his charity work (bit like Jose did a special award for McT hopefully we do one to recognise Rashy's charity work)

Am a little concerned about it affecting his form as it must take a lot of emotion and planning but hopefully he has a strong team of people helping him so can delegate during game periods but it must be hard as part of the success is due to him being high profile so it's "easier" to get the message across so needs his personal input. I also dont think his back was 100%. However id much rather he was spending his free time so productively and for good rather than going out drinking etc

Footballers are so often criticised for "abusing" their position so its great to see one of our home grown players doing such good for so many families.

KennyBurner

Nice what he is doing. Also hope he gets to relax before the start of the season. I don’t want to hear any stories about how his back is still not healed when the season starts.

Dan_F

Don’t footballers train 9-12 and then go home for the rest of the day mostly? Do you really think he’s sitting in face to face meetings with supermarkets discussing what to do next. I’m sure he’s got plenty of people involved to help him out with that stuff.

That said, it’s an absolutely fantastic thing to be doing, and I’m dead proud of him as a United player that he is being vocal about social issues, and then backing it up, rather than just firing off a tweet or two.

He’s also doing bits for Sally Nugent’s career on BBC news too.

SuperiorXI

You'll still find people saying he should stick to football... put that into context, you'd rather he stuck to football than helped starving children.

Some people need to give their heads a massive fecking wobble.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Love it.

I made this mistake of reading Twitter comments about this, thinking it would be unanimous praise. But nah. He supposedly needs to "focus on football", "stop thinking he's a politician" etc. Grim.

For years, many have whinged about how footballers don't act like role models, and when one genuinely tries to do good by marginalised and under-privileged people, it's still criticised.

The kid is doing great things. I hope it continues.

Red Royal

Love it.

I made this mistake of reading Twitter comments about this, thinking it would be unanimous praise. But nah. He supposedly needs to "focus on football", "stop thinking he's a politician" etc. Grim.

For years, many have whinged about how footballers don't act like role models, and when one genuinely tries to do good by marginalised and under-privileged people, it's still criticised.

The kid is doing great things. I hope it continues.
Totally agree.

Would rather hear about this then a player arrested in Greece, breaking lockdown, speeding or drink-driving kind of headline.

I hope Rashford is actually the front for this and that he has or will employ someones services to help with the administrative side of all of this.

Does it impact his football - I doubt it, I keep hearing these players have so much spare time to use up on things like Playstation/Xbox, twitter or Instagram.

No doubt if he goes 3 games without scoring it will be attributed to this by some 'fans' but I am all for it.

Snuffkin

Hope the club is getting him a secretary to do the work on this campaign. Needs to focus on his day job.

Jam

FFS Lads he isn’t sat in an office doing the accountancy or arranging all the logistics. Of course there’s a team involved doing the actual operations.

He’s the driving force behind it, he isn’t skipping training to go audit it and going on HR courses.

Big credit to him and long may it continue.

Zlatattack

Best of luck to him. I'm really pleased with the effort he's putting into this.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
If Marcus Rashford randomly decides to just quit football tomorrow to focus on this alone, I'll be the first one to applaude the man. I want Marcus to play for the club the next 15 years and be a force in the league, but if form comes at the expense of this, then it's a very easy choice to make. The social implications for hundreds of thousands of families cannot be overstated.

Of course his public reach goes hand in hand with success on the pitch, so it's in everyones interest that he scores 30 next season.

Dread Devil

What an amazing young man. I am proud he is a born and bred red . What a great role model and professional, being involved in this will only help his development as a man and a footballer.

Sea-Cow

Its unfortunate that OT won't be full for a few more months (hopefully). Because it would be great to have a new banner up praising him for whats he done so far, with the whole crowd singing and calling him Doctor Rashford etc.

He deserves to be praised and loved by United fans for this.

And, I think it should be said, Juan Mata didn't get enough credit from fans / media / everyone really, for his initiative. It had to be awkward with his worthless teammates when no one was signing up for his goal. Granted they probably do their own charity and have their own contributions already, but still, its 1 freaking percent.

VivaObertan

Transfer Voyeur
Its unfortunate that OT won't be full for a few more months (hopefully). Because it would be great to have a new banner up praising him for whats he done so far, with the whole crowd singing and calling him Doctor Rashford etc.

He deserves to be praised and loved by United fans for this.

And, I think it should be said, Juan Mata didn't get enough credit from fans / media / everyone really, for his initiative. It had to be awkward with his worthless teammates when no one was signing up for his goal. Granted they probably do their own charity and have their own contributions already, but still, its 1 freaking percent.
Agree on both parts that it'd be great to celebrate Rashford back in OT when safe to do so, and that no current United players (to my knowledge) signed up for CG is very sad indeed.