Rashford is going ahead with surgery and could be out until October

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Do none of you have jobs? I find it remarkable that people are criticizing Rashford for taking a holiday after putting in work for 10 months straight. Workers have the right to vacation time.

choccy77

I wonder how many of you have had elective surgeries. Surgeries are not as easy to recover from. There are a multitude of reasons why you hold off on them as much as possible. Pre-op prep, swelling management, post-op recovery, rehab, muscle training, football fitness... these are the steps. It takes time and it can be risky.

The reason Rashford was willing to wait it out was because he was hoping for there to be no need for it. No matter how far medicine has advanced, I assure you as someone coming from a family of doctors, that it's not straightforward. Especially with muscle injuries. He's had no time to rest his muscles for the waiting period to even start. For the first time in a long long time, Rashford finally relaxed away on holiday having gone through an injury laden, punishing season. You can only assess it now. So take it easy guys. There's more to this than what meets the eye.
True.

I never recovered from my last knee op in terms of playing sports again and am currently still recovering (as is my friend) from a hip operation that has been a year and a half already for us both.

It's always a credit for professional sportsman to overcome the physical and mental aspects and still perform at high levels again.

POF

Disappointing decision from Rashford. Going to the Euros for that contribution was an absolute waste of time.

Hopefully Greenwood, Sancho and Martial go gangbusters to start the season and Rashford can't get back in the team.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
We've depth to cover him and Dan James is better than a half fit Rashford
Could even play Sancho on the Left and Greenwood on the Right, and there's also Martial, so plenty of cover.

TrustInOle

Can't change the bad decisions of the past in relation to Rashfords health/fitness

He 100% needs to go into a season with a clean bill of health. If it is October so be it.

We've depth to cover him and Dan James is better than a half fit Rashford
Agreed! If it is serious enough to affect performance, it's in everybodies best interest for him to have the surgery. Between James or Sancho left and Sancho or Greenwood right, we have enough cover for a few months, especially if one of Elanga or Amad stick around too.

RiqCantona

In hindsight, having the surgery and with that an extended lay-off isn't bad. I agree with point made that if he had the surgery right after the Euros, he might have made it for the beginning of the season. But then he wouldn't have had any vacation time. It is important for footballers to unwind and relax after intense seasons - and Rashy deserves this break.

I think that the injury is a strange one - it isn't one which stops him from playing football, but then again, it hampers him from performing at his peak. Surgeries are always tricky for this sort of thing. Chances are that 3-4 weeks off might help him to heal, which is why he decided to come back from vacation and then decide on the surgery.

In any case, I don't think that the surgery will have a major impact on his game because it's in the shoulders and not in a critical joint like knee, ankle, or hip. He will recover from this without a doubt. If he has the surgery in the first week of August, and he's out for 8 weeks - he'll miss 10 games at best. But he will be better in the long run and hopefully perform at his peak by October.

RiqCantona

He needed a vacation.....to calm down like every player after this coronavirus-season.

Operation after the Euros = Rehab and no vacation

The only problem is that there is still no decision what will happen with him.....according to reports he couldn't put his boots on in some matches in the last few months + of course the shoulder problems.

We supporters are far away but he wouldn't be the first player to make the totally wrong decision about his body.
Andy Murray made the wrong decision with his hip a few years ago.
I wonder how many of you have had elective surgeries. Surgeries are not as easy to recover from. There are a multitude of reasons why you hold off on them as much as possible. Pre-op prep, swelling management, post-op recovery, rehab, muscle training, football fitness... these are the steps. It takes time and it can be risky.

The reason Rashford was willing to wait it out was because he was hoping for there to be no need for it. No matter how far medicine has advanced, I assure you as someone coming from a family of doctors, that it's not straightforward. Especially with muscle injuries. He's had no time to rest his muscles for the waiting period to even start. For the first time in a long long time, Rashford finally relaxed away on holiday having gone through an injury laden, punishing season. You can only assess it now. So take it easy guys. There's more to this than what meets the eye.
It doesn’t risk his long term future. Every article says it isn’t going to get worse without surgery. It’s about whether he can manage the injury without impacting his performance due to the mobility issues it creates. One of the treatments is simply to rest - from what I’ve read surgery is rarely required for this injury - so I’d assume he’s been asked to take the three weeks off and then they’ll have another check to see if it’s made any impact before deciding to jump in to a course of action that could see him miss 12 weeks of football. It obviously isn’t the simple decision everyone on here and in the media makes it out to be - As per usual there’s nuance and context involved.
Some it up for me!

Superden

fans moaning at him for not playing well when clearly not match fit. fans moaning that hes picked. fans moaning that he's gonna miss matches for having surgery. fans moaning that he's taken a few weeks to rest and recuperate. fans moaning.

Rob Bowman

fans moaning at him for not playing well when clearly not match fit. fans moaning that hes picked. fans moaning that he's gonna miss matches for having surgery. fans moaning that he's taken a few weeks to rest and recuperate. fans moaning.
^This :D

Bird Nerd

The only moan I have is going to the Euros when this could have (should have) been addressed well before that. Instead of this 2 month delay.

Anustart89

More like: Fans moaning about player blaming injury for poor performances and then declining treatment for it because it would mean being unavailable for selection.

Now, I’m not saying that surgery is definitely the best choice here, but the above is what I’ve seen being the criticism.

hobbers

All basically the same legitimate moan though.

He shouldn't have been played at the end of the season with his foot swelling up inside his boot. He shouldn't have gone to the euros to just train hard and miss a penalty. He should have had the surgery earlier and, since he hasn't, he should be having it as soon as possible because that's probably going to be the only way he gets his career back on track.

Gator Nate

Do none of you have jobs? I find it remarkable that people are criticizing Rashford for taking a holiday after putting in work for 10 months straight. Workers have the right to vacation time.
Yeah, it's sad to watch, but...

Spot on.

We're the Moan United fans!
:lol::lol::lol:

I'm just glad it's going to get taken care of, and I can't wait to see what he becomes upon his rehab and return. And I'll be patient...

It'll be like a new signing!!! obligatory white text

RedDevil@84

Is this even happening? All this talk about Rashford and club evaluating things makes me feel we will again try to force him to play half fit, half doubtful for an entire season.

Andersonson

Disappointing decision from Rashford. Going to the Euros for that contribution was an absolute waste of time.

Hopefully Greenwood, Sancho and Martial go gangbusters to start the season and Rashford can't get back in the team.
I agree with hos decision. And so did the club. Every football player wants to play in the big tournaments.

Silly to say it was stupid imo

Withnail

Yeah, it's sad to watch, but...

Spot on.

:lol::lol::lol:

I'm just glad it's going to get taken care of, and I can't wait to see what he becomes upon his rehab and return. And I'll be patient...

It'll be like a new signing!!! obligatory white text
What’s the update? When is it happening
Is this even happening? All this talk about Rashford and club evaluating things makes me feel we will again try to force him to play half fit, half doubtful for an entire season.
I came here to see if a decision had been made yet. There was supposedly a meeting to finally decide this a few days ago but no news.

POF

I agree with hos decision. And so did the club. Every football player wants to play in the big tournaments.

Silly to say it was stupid imo
But he hardly played in the big tournament and he clearly wasn't fit enough to do so. When it got to the business end he was nowhere to be seen, despite Southgate having 5 subs available.

His only contribution to the knockout stages of the tournament was coming on at 4-0 up vs Ukraine and being brought on like an NFL kicker for a penalty in the final.

Whatever anyone at the club says in public, there won't be anyone at United who would rather he play a tournament for England than 2 months of United's season.

frostbite

I believe he made the right decisions.

Can you imagine if England had won the cup after 50 years, and Rashford missed the opportunity to be part of it?

Halftrack

"He should have skipped the Euros and gotten the surgery and be ready for the new season."
"A player will always want to play in big international tournaments, it was an understandable decision"
"But he wasn't fit and didn't even play. It was a waste and he should have had the surgery instead."
"A player isn't going to miss the chance at experiencing a tournament that his country is one of the favourites for"
"But he didn't..."

Repeat forever, and you have this thread.

wolvored

True.

I never recovered from my last knee op in terms of playing sports again and am currently still recovering (as is my friend) from a hip operation that has been a year and a half already for us both.

It's always a credit for professional sportsman to overcome the physical and mental aspects and still perform at high levels again.
Yes my back op stopped me playing squash 16 years ago and my knees went 4 years after so football swimming went as well. Put 4 stone on as well.

Bondi77

"He should have skipped the Euros and gotten the surgery and be ready for the new season."
"A player will always want to play in big international tournaments, it was an understandable decision"
"But he wasn't fit and didn't even play. It was a waste and he should have had the surgery instead."
"A player isn't going to miss the chance at experiencing a tournament that his country is one of the favourites for"
"But he didn't..."

Repeat forever, and you have this thread.
Spot on mate.
It beats me how posters cannot seem to read what has been posted previously and if they have nothing to add then just move the feck on!

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
This can't be stressed enough really. Footballers are people leading human lives, just as we are.

Number32

Well, I have no right to vacation time since the pandemic as they said everyone had more rest during the lockdown and so many travel restrictions anyway.

People here aren't criticizing him for taking a holiday, but his decision not to take the surgery as soon as it was necessary. He could have his vacation time after the surgery since it would be 16 weeks off for him. Only needs 3-4 days at hospital then take his arse wherever he wants

Lost bear

I sometimes think that people have forgotten just how good Marcus Rashford can be- he is, at his best, close to unplayable.
Last season was poor, and it seemed to me obvious that he was playing with an injury. His performances were pretty excruciating at times, and I for one ( albeit your humble newb) would rather he missed 2 or 3 months and got his full fitness back. We still need our Marcus missile! But in full functioning order, please.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Really silly situation all round. Needs surgery but not only keeps playing for us but also goes to the Euros to be a mere cheerleaders. Been 3 weeks since those finished and it's still undecided. Pure madness.
:lol: Don't dare to question how Club handling stuff, man.

Flytan

Yeah not sure why he wouldn't just get the surgery. He wasn't gonna play at the Euros anyways. Seems like a terrible decision.

georgipep

But he hardly played in the big tournament and he clearly wasn't fit enough to do so. When it got to the business end he was nowhere to be seen, despite Southgate having 5 subs available.

His only contribution to the knockout stages of the tournament was coming on at 4-0 up vs Ukraine and being brought on like an NFL kicker for a penalty in the final.

Whatever anyone at the club says in public, there won't be anyone at United who would rather he play a tournament for England than 2 months of United's season.
But that's not anyone at United's decision to make. And it's easy to say that in hindsight. He surely thought he would have a more important role to play.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Wishing him a speedy recovery. So it’s surgery on the shoulder and simply rest/recovery on the ankle?

Reckon that means James and possibly Lingard stay now — if either were even close to moves away.

Compton22

Knows that he knows nothing.
The right decision for himself, get rested and come back better than ever!