Rashford is going ahead with surgery and could be out until October

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Was a waste of time him going to the Euros.

Glad he's getting the surgery and glad to see so many on here supporting the decision.

Of course the real test will be if Martial carries on last season's form and we're 1-0 down at some point and all Ole has off the bench is Mata and James.
Well if Martial is starting then that would mean one of Greenwood or Cavani is on the bench which aren't bad options honestly. Also you forgot Amad.

TheReligion

Abusive
Hearing about his ankle's injury before the Europa final infuriates much more than him going to the Euros.

Why the hell did he play this game? Pogba should've started on the left and if Fred wasn't ready, play Matic in the middle. I mean if you can't trust him against fecking Capoue, you shouldn't have renewed his contract. Terrible management from Ole.
Yeah this for me. I'm amazed people aren't taking more issue with how the club have handled this given what we know.

It seems some are okay with United running him into the ground whilst injured "because we pay his wages" but think we should have told him he couldn't fulfill his dreams and go away on international duty after doing so. Crazy.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Good.

In hindsight he should have pulled out of the England squad but he wasn't to know he'd get barely any playing time.

PoTMS

Sorry I used the wrong word in weird, it's actually an idiotic comparison.

Greenwood was a player who wasn't even confirmed to be in the final 26(even you said *likely*) and wasn't in any of the England squad for more than year, Rashford is someone who when fit has been in every England squad since the last three years and has also started quite a lot of the matches before this Euros. There's actually loads of difference between the two situations.
You really are a weird poster. Actually, I also probably used the wrong word.

You said no elite sportsman would turn down the chance to represent their country in a home tournament. Well, that's exactly what Greenwood did it. Whether or not he would've got chosen is besides the point (he would've seeing as we had only two strikers in the squad), he withdrew before the squad was cut down. Thus it was his and United's decision which was ultimately the right one.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Good.

In hindsight he should have pulled out of the England squad but he wasn't to know he'd get barely any playing time.
Exactly this. Shame he couldn't have been 6 weeks or so through that period already.

But he looked wrong for massive periods of last season so it needs doing.

Definitely no chance Martial goes now. And Sancho may spend a lot more time on the left than we thought.

KM

You really are a weird poster. Actually, I also probably used the wrong word.

You said no elite sportsman would turn down the chance to represent their country in a home tournament. Well, that's exactly what Greenwood did it. Whether or not he would've got chosen is besides the point (he would've seeing as we had only two strikers in the squad), he withdrew before the squad was cut down. Thus it was his and United's decision which was ultimately the right one.
Aye that's why Ollie Watkins who was in the originally in 33 man squad was selected in the 26 man squad as there's no way Southgate would've gone with two strikers in the squad for Euros. Oh wait.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Pecking order in front three this season imo
LF - Rashford > Sancho > James > Martial
CF - Cavani > Greenwood > Martial
RF - Sancho > Greenwood > James > Mata

Amad, Elanga, Shoretire, Hugill (?) - scraps or out on loan.

smi11ie

Not a philogynist
Supports
Rangers
Arguable and flimsy at least. Another reason for his critics to vilify him.
Should that not be "flimsy at most"? Anyway I support Marcus but i think injured players requiring surgery should not be allowed to go on international duty in the closed season.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
I suspect he wasnt really expecting to be benched for England.

If you’re Ole and one of your best lads wants to play for his country at the cost of delaying a surgery by a month, you offer that.

lets be realistic he’s been a soldier for us, most likely an one team player, we’re not effing up the dynamic for 10 games. And the guy clearly wants to represent his country.
I can fully understand the sentiment, but I don't agree with it. If you're so injured, that it's effecting your form, IMO, you need to get it sorted out.

At United, I can understand why he was overused a little, as we don't have strength in depth out wide (though Martial/Pogba could have covered his absence on the left) but if you're Southgate, and you have all those options, the decision is a bit clearer.

On the plus side, I am sure he's received enough expert medical advice to ensure the injury couldn't be made "worse" by playing through it. So i am sure the recovery will be fine.

PoTMS

Aye that's why Ollie Watkins who was in the originally in 33 man squad was selected in the 26 man squad as there's no way Southgate would've gone with two strikers in the squad for Euros. Oh wait.
Strawman. The drop off in quality between the two players is huge. Your words exactly were that no elite sportsman would turn down the chance to represent their country in a home tournament. Mason Greenwood literally did that. Why can't you accept that what you initially said was wrong?

laughtersassassin

Pecking order in front three this season imo
LF - Rashford > Sancho > James > Martial
CF - Cavani > Greenwood > Martial
RF - Sancho > Greenwood > James > Mata

Amad, Elanga, Shoretire, Hugill (?) - scraps or out on loan.
Amad should definitely be ahead of Mata and for me James as well.

To me he is clearly better and can contribute more.

But I can see why some night argue otherwise on James as some people get value experience more than myself.

KM

Strawman. The drop off in quality between the two players is huge. Your words exactly were that no elite sportsman would turn down an opportunity to represent their country in a home tournament. Mason Greenwood literally did that. Why can't you accept that what you initially said was wrong?
Because nothing I've seen or read in news suggests that he was gonna be selected for the 26 man squad. It seems Southgate plan was always to take two strikers and mostly play five at the back. He hardly used players like Sancho and Foden so it clearly suggests that there was no space for more attacking players.

Besides it's fairly convenient to call people strawman when the whole reason on which you based your whole argument on falls flat.

BigBebe

Good.

Or perhaps the reason he barely got any playing time was that he was not fully fit.

It has been the worst of all worlds:
- his performances in the latter part of last season were poor/inconsistent
- his Euro contribution was negligible (and probably demoralising)
- he will miss the first month or two of the next season

I cant see how this could have been handled worse.

I am not blaming Rashford for this, I blame the club medical staff/Ole for not being brave enough with him.

PoTMS

Because nothing I've seen or read in news suggests that he was gonna be selected for the 26 man squad. It seems Southgate plan was always to take two strikers and mostly play five at the back. He hardly used players like Sancho and Foden so it clearly suggests that there was no space for more attacking players.

Besides it's fairly convenient to call people strawman when the whole reason you based your whole argument falls flat.
What on earth are you blabbing on about? How many times does it have to be explained to you? He WITHDREW from the squad, he wasn't dropped. You said elite sportsmen wouldn't do that. I gave you an example of someone who did exactly that. That literally is the entire argument. Mason was in phenomenal form at the end of the season and was one of our best players so there's no reason why he wouldn't have got into the squad. Rashford on the other hand had been shite for several months and was clearly not gonna start most games for England.

KM

What on earth are you blabbing on about? How many times does it have to be explained to you? He WITHDREW from the squad, he wasn't dropped. You said elite sportsmen wouldn't do that. I gave you an example of someone who did exactly that. That literally is the entire argument. Mason was in phenomenal form at the end of the season and was one of our best players so there's no reason why he wouldn't have got into the squad. Rashford on the other hand had been shite for several months and was clearly not gonna start most games for England
Okay since you're clearly getting worked up, let me explain it to you in your own language:

What on earth are you blabbing on about? How many times does it have to be explained to you? He WOULDNT have got into the squad. You said Southgate would have picked him cos he only had two other strikers in the squad. I gave you an example of why it didn't matter in the end. That literally is the entire argument.

Bored of this now, have a nice day.

redpatron

Hearing about his ankle's injury before the Europa final infuriates much more than him going to the Euros.

Why the hell did he play this game? Pogba should've started on the left and if Fred wasn't ready, play Matic in the middle. I mean if you can't trust him against fecking Capoue, you shouldn't have renewed his contract. Terrible management from Ole.
hindsight is 20/20, if he scores than its a non issue. If he sits, you call him a coward trying to rest for the euros. Marcus on one leg is still better than matic and james on two legs. look at the NBA finals, Giannis is putting up astronomical numbers on one bag leg that people were screaming the Bucks to sit him out for the year. these athletes at this high level are mentally and physically built different than regular people.

PoTMS

Okay since you're clearly getting worked up, let me explain it to you in your own language:

What on earth are you blabbing on about? How many times does it have to be explained to you? He WOULDNT have got into the squad. You said Southgate would have picked him cos he only had two other strikers in the squad. I gave you an example of why it didn't matter in the end. That literally is the entire argument.

Bored of this now, have a nice day.
That wasn't the initial argument, the one you conveniently consistently ignore which is that he withdrew from the squad, but nice to know you still won't admit when you're wrong. Ta ra.

El Jefe

Remember how Pogba was called selfish for having surgery during the season and he could have waited till season ended but, was only thinking of himself. Now Rashford waits so he can finish the season and play for his country and people are unhappy with that. There is no winning with the fanbase, any choice that was made would have rubbed some part of the base the wrong way.

Hope for surgery to go well and a fast recovery with no more issues down the road for him.
The difference is we were expecting Pogba to leave the club and was doing his surgery mid-season to be fit for the Euros. His priority was France and himself rather than us. You could say the same about Rashford too. He's had a rotten 2021 and has progressively gotten worse each month. Both Ole and Rashford were extremely irresponsible with the handling of his treatment and ultimately Rashford has been the biggest loser in this situation. Lost two finals, relegated to a reserve for England and might come back to Sancho or Greenwood taking his place in the team.

Eddy_JukeZ

Hopefully he comes back fired up and ready to prove his haters even more wrong.

Flanders Devil

For me the bit that’s puzzling is why another orthopaedic surgeon couldn’t be made available to perform the operation immediately after euros. That’s 3 wasted weeks which is probably going to cost him 4 or so games depending on exact timing.

Posh Red

For me the bit that’s puzzling is why another orthopaedic surgeon couldn’t be made available to perform the operation immediately after euros. That’s 3 wasted weeks which is probably going to cost him 4 or so games depending on exact timing.
He hasn’t had any time off for about a year and will be doing rehab work after the surgery. Do you not think he deserves a break at some point?

Flanders Devil

He hasn’t had any time off for about a year and will be doing rehab work after the surgery. Do you not think he deserves a break at some point?
I’m talking about the orthopaedic surgeon not being available until end of July. Based on the article I read, it seemed like the only reason it’s been delayed for 3w because of the surgeons availability not Rashford wanting 3w off.

seegoblu

Given the story earlier that Rashford’s ankle was so swollen he couldn’t get a boot on, in addition to the shoulder injury, he should have withdrawn from the Euros, but I can’t blame him for wanting to be involved in a title challenging team this summer.

I think the delay in surgery until the end of the month is likely due to pre-surgery treatment trying to reduce the swelling in the shoulder joint as well as some strengthening therapy designed to improve post-surgical recovery.

as for the line up to start the year, I’d prefer Sancho getting bedded in at RW immediately, have Pogba on the left and Cavani/Martial (depending on form) in the middle. Greenwood can provide support on the RW (with Amad) and striker, Martial support on the LW (with James) if he’s not starting at striker. Still an extremely strong front line. Once Varane is locked up, any improvement in the double pivot should set the club up to challenge for silverware.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
clown shit. wasted the end of season to take one pen in the Euros. Dont know why he couldnt do this last season when he was playing shite
Because, obviously, he scored our second highest number of goals last season and our second highest number of assists. Whether or not you thought he was “playing shite” we almost certainly wouldn’t be playing in the CL if he’d had this operation in the middle of last season.

GiddyUp

Hopefully he comes back fired up and ready to prove his haters even more wrong.
I think he will. I was so annoyed, sad and frustrated watching him being played while obviously being hampered by multiple injuries. Rashford will be a very important part of this club going forward and could very well retire here. He needs to be managed correctly though as well as being protected from the scum.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Excellent. Better late than never buy let's hope to see him come back when he's fully recovered and not rush back needlessly.

Get In Scholesy

If you read back through the thread you'll see he is going in for shoulder surgery, but they will probably look at the ankle at the same time as he couldn't get a boot on towards the end of the season and his ankle ballooned in the build up to the Europa League final.
Very rare that doctors operate on two places at once, I feel that it can have an affect on the rehab process and that you would likely require 2 different doctors each specializing in a specific area.

I remember Rashford having issues with both his ankle and his shoulder, for some reason I felt like the ankle was the main issue but it seems as if it's his shoulder.

Regardless, wish him a speedy recovery, need him back and firing asap.

Josep Dowling

To say it is the right time is simply wrong. Should have been done months ago, well before the Euros. He hasn’t been right since Christmas. And the fact he had such little involvement in the Euros makes me wonder why he didn’t pull out of the England squad anyway. If I was Rashford I’d be fuming with Southgate to be honest. It’s not like England didn’t have options on the wing if Rashford pulled out.

Acole9

Outstanding
Annoying but not a surprise. Wouldn't have wanted to begrudge the lad of potentially a winners medal though had England won.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Good lad. Needs a break. I think he’s in the top ten of matches played across the last two seasons. It’s not a big injury in career impact terms. A shoulder will heal well, his body can rest.

IWat

I’m talking about the orthopaedic surgeon not being available until end of July. Based on the article I read, it seemed like the only reason it’s been delayed for 3w because of the surgeons availability not Rashford wanting 3w off.
Non-emergency ortho is one of those areas that was put on the back burner during covid. I imagine there is quite the backlog, even in Private and paticularly if after specific surgeons. They aren't just going to re-schedule other operations where patients have also paid and had to wait.

saivet

To say it is the right time is simply wrong. Should have been done months ago, well before the Euros. He hasn’t been right since Christmas. And the fact he had such little involvement in the Euros makes me wonder why he didn’t pull out of the England squad anyway. If I was Rashford I’d be fuming with Southgate to be honest. It’s not like England didn’t have options on the wing if Rashford pulled out.
Why would he be fuming with Southgate? Rashford knew he was carrying injuries and could have pulled out yet he told Southgate he was fine for the Euros.

Matt007a

If Rashford had pulled out of the squad and England had won the tournament, he’d have regretted it for the rest of his life. Can’t blame the guy for wanting to play, even if it was off the bench.

Doesnt Sancho have better stats when he plays from the left anyway? I can see us playing a front 3 of Sancho/Cavani/Greenwood with Martial being backup for both Sancho and Cavani.