Rashford is going ahead with surgery and could be out until October

Ayrshire Red

Right decision, however should have done this back in May. United should have insisted and Solskjaer shouldn’t have persisted with him injured, and Rashford himself should not have went to the Euros. It’s now us who are missing a crucial player for a few months now all because he’s sat on a bench since the end of May.

If Greenwood and Sancho start well and Martial gets another crack, he’ll possibly come back into the squad further down the pecking order.

Varun

Staff
Utterly infuriating and ridiculous that he went to the Euros for about 67 seconds of playing time.

He should have has this surgery months ago.
Yep, daft as feck. He should have had this discussion with Southgate and gone for surgery when told he's only going to be backup.

padzilla

Hipster
Nearly any player would put playing in a tournament for their country ahead of club commitments.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He won’t come back fully fit until Christmas. Missing pre season is huge nowadays. Maybe he needs time out of the spot light for more reasons than one.
That's a bit shit for us, really. I'm hoping Martial starts the season well. Would make up for Rashford's absence to a good degree if he regains his 19-20 form.

PoTMS

It wasn't even confirmed that he'd be in the 26. That's a weird comparison to make.
No it really isn't, it just doesn't suit your point hence why you find it "weird". Mason was included in the provisional 33 and was widely reported to have sneaked into the 26 with his end of season form. Regardless of whether you think he would've made it, he's an example of an elite sportsman who decided to skip a home international tournament (which he was most likely going to be picked for) because of injuries.

Tony Babangida

Hope he comes back really strong. He wasn't right last season, he can still be great for us.

Skills

Snitch
Having a refreshed Rashford for Christmas could be massive. You always need someone to pick up the baton around that time

Theo88

100% this. Even moreso when you consider the amount of minutes he played.

I suspect he wasnt really expecting to be benched for England.

If you’re Ole and one of your best lads wants to play for his country at the cost of delaying a surgery by a month, you offer that.

lets be realistic he’s been a soldier for us, most likely an one team player, we’re not effing up the dynamic for 10 games. And the guy clearly wants to represent his country.

Commentary

Good to hear.

I was bothered by the fact Ole kept overlaying him when it was clear he was struggling with an injury.... surgery should have been done sooner, but I guess he wanted to play at the Euros?

I have faith in Martial, I'd rather he takes an extended leave to heal up.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I know its not comparable, but for the sake of argument, let's try.

You know you're injured, and your employer knows that as well. You then go and "work" for somebody else, pro bono by the way, you actually don't "work" at all, because the guy that wanted you there doesn't even need you and then, you come back to your employer and say, "i'm gonna go on a holliday for a while, and when i come back, i'm gonna go on a surgery and won't come back for a couple of months, that's ok, right?"

Tldr, just saying, could have been done with more consideration to United, but ok.

Maybe its just me.
:lol:

The White Pele

Obviously very frustrating that this has been delayed by his participation at the Euros where his only real match involvement was the penalty. Even more frustrating for him personally than for us as supporters.

I’m glad he gets a mental break now as much as the surgery he desperately needs.

This has been the most challenging period of his young career. He’s had that real low point at the end of the season with United losing on pens, following a few months of indifferent form. He’s taken a lot of criticism in that period, which will have really eaten at him knowing that he’s nowhere near fully fit, and to top it off he then had unacceptable racist abuse on social media following the Europa final.

So he goes into England duty on a low point and then doesn’t really get any chance on the pitch to release any of that negative feeling. Instead he has watched on for 6 weeks, still carrying that frustration and with the added insult of knowing that every day he is there is another day he’s delaying the surgery he needs.

Then he gets rolled out to take a pressure penalty in England’s biggest game for 55 years after only a minute on the field, gets made a scapegoat by many and again receives disgusting racial abuse on social media.

He must be carrying a lot of anger right now. Any human being would be. So like I said, I’m glad he’s getting a mental break as worried he might snap soon otherwise.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
All the best to Marcus

How can the club be happy with this?

Playing him in this condition could seriously effect the rest of his career, he's still so young ffs.

We aren't all stupid and clearly he has been struggling, and he's admitted himself he knows he isnt right.

He should be getting his arm and ankle both repaired ASAP, then hopefully he can get his confidence back. I hate seeing him playing scared and weak as he's so much better than that.

DickDastardly

And this is where it becomes clear why you have an issue.

Stupid comment.
Of course i have an issue. It's not like it's a secret. I've been telling you all along I have an issue with this specific matter.
Except you're making it look like I have an issue with Rashford per se.
And that's a bit cnutish of you to be fair.

Let me make this clear, again.

Southgate should have been honest in his current rating of Rashford. (as in, "son, you aint playing. period.)
Given THAT information, Rashford should have reconsidered going to EURO and getting under the knife ASAP, in order to kickstart his United playing time.
United and Ole should have nudged him in the right direction.

And I can not, for the life of me, fathom why is this so hard to comprehend.
I'm not saying he should have slapped Gareth across the face and tell him to feck off.
He's carrying an injury for over a long period of time. An injury which is hampering his play. The same play that is paying his bills. For the same club that is paying your salary. Give it some consideration at least. (maybe he did, i dont know. What i'm saying is - you're the one constatly calling my opinion narrow minded and stupid. Without giving it consideration.)

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Better he fixes that now and starts playing at his best after. A not fully fit Rashford is no use

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
How the hell was he allowed to join up with the England squad? We've known for weeks that he was injured and needed surgery. And given how little game time he got at the Euros, he should have been under the knife the day after the Europa final. And what is this crap in some papers that "the surgeon isn't available until the end of July"? Err, is there suddenly a shortage of doctors the country should know about?

ICHM

The last half of the season his form deserted him, perhaps a rest will be good for him.

TheReligion

Abusive
How the hell was he allowed to join up with the England squad? We've known for weeks that he was injured and needed surgery. And given how little game time he got at the Euros, he should have been under the knife the day after the Europa final. And what is this crap in some papers that "the surgeon isn't available until the end of July"? Err, is there suddenly a shortage of doctors the country should know about?
Why the hell has he been allowed to play for United for the past few months whilst injured?

As I said earlier when the club decided to allow that they were basically accepting be could go away with England too.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
No issue with rashford - I get why he wouldn’t withdraw and I’m sure he thought he could contribute. He didn’t deserve to be there on merit though - a 70% fit rashford is of little use and I don’t understand why he was selected. Unless Southgate didn’t know the extent of the injury on his movement or because 26 were allowed and the fact he’s been part of the group building to this he didn’t want to leave him out - that’s not an excuse though. I’m reminded of a scene from mighty ducks when the best player is injured and hides this injury - coach Bombay discovers it and sits him out. Gareth should give that film a watch for some tips. Think they won in a shootout too.

padzilla

Hipster
No issue with rashford - I get why he wouldn’t withdraw and I’m sure he thought he could contribute. He didn’t deserve to be there on merit though - a 70% fit rashford is of little use and I don’t understand why he was selected. Unless Southgate didn’t know the extent of the injury on his movement or because 26 were allowed and the fact he’s been part of the group building to this he didn’t want to leave him out - that’s not an excuse though. I’m reminded of a scene from mighty ducks when the best player is injured and hides this injury - coach Bombay discovers it and sits him out. Gareth should give that film a watch for some tips. Think they won in a shootout too.
Southgate would get tips from watching Donald Duck never mind the Mighty Ducks he's that bad.

JakeTheRed

Yeah, Euros was a bad decision then all things being equal.

Hope he comes back fresh and raring to go.
In another universe, Rashford stays at home, misses the Euro's & gets his surgery. Jack Grealish steps up and scores his penalty, resulting in England winning the Euros. 55 years of hurt is no more. Rashford returns from injury in the August, finding his previous form & thus helping United get a strong lead on the league early on.

TheReligion

Abusive
I'm not sure why people can't see this. Maguire and Henderson both went away with England injured with the former ending up in the team of the tournament. The England squad has little experience and Rashford has 40+ caps so despite his young age he's actually one of the more seasoned players.

It's obvious why Rashford wanted to go and quite obvious why England wanted to take him. Anyone who thinks the club should have tried to stop that is a massive hypocrite given we've been running him into the ground ourselves for our end of season run in.

Devil81

This is where the club has to be stronger than the players, Marcus would always choose to hold off the operation, who can blame him for that given he wanted to be part of the Euro's squad.

United pay his day to day wage and they should have insisted he had this operation straight after the Europa final, absolutely insane of the club and the manager to allow this to happen.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
No it really isn't, it just doesn't suit your point hence why you find it "weird". Mason was included in the provisional 33 and was widely reported to have sneaked into the 26 with his end of season form. Regardless of whether you think he would've made it, he's an example of an elite sportsman who decided to skip a home international tournament (which he was most likely going to be picked for) because of injuries.
Sorry I used the wrong word in weird, it's actually an idiotic comparison.

Greenwood was a player who wasn't even confirmed to be in the final 26(even you said *likely*) and wasn't in any of the England squad for more than year, Rashford is someone who when fit has been in every England squad since the last three years and has also started quite a lot of the matches before this Euros. There's actually loads of difference between the two situations.

TheReligion

Abusive
This is where the club has to be stronger than the players, Marcus would always choose to hold off the operation, who can blame him for that given he wanted to be part of the Euro's squad.

United pay his day to day wage and they should have insisted he had this operation straight after the Europa final, absolutely insane of the club and the manager to allow this to happen.
Again you're failing to recognise that the club has been allowing him to play with an injury for months! Then you expect it to say PS you can't go the Euros?

That's not how you manage people.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
I'm not sure why people can't see this. Maguire and Henderson both went away with England injured with the former ending up in the team of the tournament. The England squad has little experience and Rashford has 40+ caps so despite his young age he's actually one of the more seasoned players.

It's obvious why Rashford wanted to go and quite obvious why England wanted to take him. Anyone who thinks the club should have tried to stop that is a massive hypocrite given we've been running him into the ground ourselves for our end of season run in.
Entirely different. They both had injuries that were expected to heal during camp - and both did. Rashford had an injury that was clearly impacting his ability for the last few months of the season - and one which wasn’t going to get better without surgery. Is that version of Rashford better than Lingard who was fit, in fantastic form and had all the experience you’re mentioning? And yeah we ballsed it up too. I’d argue he should have had surgery as soon as we looked shoe-ins for top 4.

stevoc

Utterly infuriating and ridiculous that he went to the Euros for about 67 seconds of playing time.

He should have has this surgery months ago.
Yep I can understand why Rashford wanted to delay it but Southgate had no plans to really use him and also had Foden and Sancho so he should have told Marcus to get his operation and sit the Euro's out.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Yep I can understand why Rashford wanted to delay it but Southgate had no plans to really use him and also had Foden and Sancho so he should have told Marcus to get his operation and sit the Euro's out.
Yup ideally Southgate would've told him to do that but if we see in the group stages, Rashford was his first attacking change in all of the matches, it was only when he didn't turn out to be effective, he turned to other options.

Devil81

Again you're failing to recognise that the club has been allowing him to play with an injury for months! Then you expect it to say PS you can't go the Euros?

That's not how you manage people.
He was needed during the season, the summer months should have been his chance to recover for the new season.

United pay his wages at the end of the day, they should have been clear you can help us achieve what we need to achieve this season but come the end of May that operation needs to happen.

Born2Lose

Was a waste of time him going to the Euros.

Glad he's getting the surgery and glad to see so many on here supporting the decision.

Of course the real test will be if Martial carries on last season's form and we're 1-0 down at some point and all Ole has off the bench is Mata and James.

Idxomer

Hearing about his ankle's injury before the Europa final infuriates much more than him going to the Euros.

Why the hell did he play this game? Pogba should've started on the left and if Fred wasn't ready, play Matic in the middle. I mean if you can't trust him against fecking Capoue, you shouldn't have renewed his contract. Terrible management from Ole.