Rashford is going ahead with surgery and could be out until October

bosskeano

I know you want to play for your country and especially in a massive tournament liek the Euros where you play at Wembley almost all of your matches. What would have been nice though was Southgate being upfront and letting him know that he may not play very much during the tournament and giving him the choice of playing for country or having surgery. Instead of missing the first two months of the season, he would have just missed only a handful of matches.

Looks like we will see a lot of cavani, sancho, greenwood, james, amad and martial(if he is still around).

Devil may care

Makes sense and hopefully the time off will give his other lingering injuries a chance to heal as well. Sancho can start the season on the left for us.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
It's baffling how a silver medal in the Euro ends up being described a waste of time. Many a great players don't have a pot to show for it.
If another Euro was to start next week I'd encourage him to postpone the surgery. Call me delusional but country always takes precedence over club.
Rooney rushed to play in an international tournament, and it's seen as a huge contributory factor in his sharp drop off in form.
Was that worth it? Probably not.

At least Rashford can now have a few months off. This way he might still be playing decently by 30.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
It's baffling how a silver medal in the Euro ends up being described a waste of time. Many a great players don't have a pot to show for it.
If another Euro was to start next week I'd encourage him to postpone the surgery. Call me delusional but country always takes precedence over club.
You're delusional.

Marwood

Players bodies are their livelihoods, so they are obviously very particular about who they use for surgeries. Go back to Ole's comments during Pogba's injury when Pogba used his own doctor, Ole said he did the same over club doctors, all the players have doctors they trust for certain situations. They just don't go find the next doc in line even if they are reputable.

We also don't know all the details behind what is required pre-op. There could be inflammation that needs to reduce through rest or any number of things. Everyone is speculating as what is best not thinking about the player, the human being, but, rather the club and what would be best for the club. The man has already been playing through injuries for 2 years, a little understanding might be in order to let him heal properly. He's 23, probably got another 10+ years to give to us, we can certainly be okay with a couple extra weeks.
Time has got a little mixed up for me with all this but didn't he have a 5 month break in 2020 with his back injury and lockdown?

He can't have been playing through injury for two years if that's the case. That's a bit harsh on the United staff.

It's been a long season but with that 2020 break and the one he's got coming up I think that's plenty of body healing time(plus the euros were kind of a break).

Reallu looking forward to seeing a fresh Rashford this season. I hope he gets a rest from being in the newspapers as well.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
This should have been done immediately after the season. There was absolutely no point in him going to the Euros. He's now going to be a huge miss for us.

Hopefully it goes well for him though.
He actually played a pivotal role in the Euros for me.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Has the ‘hope we don’t rush him back’ echo started yet?

Beans

Supports
Neutral
He was probably hoping it would heal naturally.

Most problems with the human body will get better over time. Surgery is usually a last resort because cutting into somebody often requires a longer recovery time.

Speaking personally, I had a tendonitis in my wrist a couple of years ago that I seriously considered going under the scalpel for. But I kept putting off the appointment due to indecision. Thankfully, it ended up getting better on its own... not only just as quick as if a surgeon had dealt with it, but also without the need to remove any tissue.

I know it's not the same kind of injury, but you look at somebody like Ledley King who had bits of cartilage removed from his knees during successive operations. By the end of his career, he had nothing left. Not only did it cut his career short, it also affected his quality of life after he hung up his boots. I wouldn't blame any player for hesitating before making the decision.
You gotta be careful with fencing cartilage, I remember when Bo Jackson from the NFL lost his and had to retire, though that was a while ago, no one talks about how good he was!

I'm sure Rashford felt pressure to "be available" for his country, he started on the left a lot for England. But with how much use that make gets, taking pain injections to keep playing for months, that's not a good situation. When it was clear United wasn't winning the league I would have had it done then. But it's not an easy decision I agree.

sport2793

You don't think Martial gets his place back immediately?
I think it depends on how good Greenwood is to start but honestly Martial was not very good last season. If the latter can find form similar to what he had during project restart then he will start.

DomM

Surely he should have had his operation weeks ago and miss Euro 2020, he didn't play much and his impact was minimal. I can understand him wanting to go but his responsibility lies with his club not country, England don't pay his wages, United do, so he really shouldn't have gone.
Badly handled by both club and Country and now United suffer because of it.
Imagine Cavani getting injured, we are left with Martial and Greenwood as our only recognised forwards.

Reactions: Penna

UpWithRivers

Good for Rashford but put a lot of pressure on Sancho to perform from day 1. I could see Ole start with Martial---Cavani---Greenwood and ease him in.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Good for Rashford but put a lot of pressure on Sancho to perform from day 1. I could see Ole start with Martial---Cavani---Greenwood and ease him in.
There's already pressure from the high fee but that's part of stepping up to the big time.

Shimo

For whatever reason, Martial's not even back in training based on the training pics and the latest club update about who will be available for Derby game on Sunday, so who knows if he'll even be ready for start of the season.

Scholsey2004

Time has got a little mixed up for me with all this but didn't he have a 5 month break in 2020 with his back injury and lockdown?

He can't have been playing through injury for two years if that's the case. That's a bit harsh on the United staff.

It's been a long season but with that 2020 break and the one he's got coming up I think that's plenty of body healing time(plus the euros were kind of a break).

Reallu looking forward to seeing a fresh Rashford this season. I hope he gets a rest from being in the newspapers as well.
Actually if its a ligament or something else that'll never heal without surgery then he definitely can be playing with pain for years. Ive had a slight knee ligament injury for about a decade now that aggravates from use.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I really enjoy watching him and felt just before he got his back injury he was in sublime form playing like a player that would score a goal at least in each match he played. After that he was still an important player but a bit less consistent than he looked during that uprise in form.

Hope he can come back and go back to being that player I was starting to get scared of - and that's whilst being in the same team I support.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Yeah there are also some injuries you can have forever that aren’t worth the risks of getting surgery on. You just have to manage them. I fractured my heel a few years ago. Surgery for that isn’t that advanced and can often lead to complications and recurring pain from the metal in your foot. It depends how extreme the injury is, I guess I was lucky it wasn’t that bad that I needed pins. I can do almost everything to the same standard as before but it definitely gets sore after a few hours of exercise and some days are worse than others and I suppose it’ll always be like that.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
For me, as a fan, country comes before club. But for players it is very tricky topic.
It is huge thing to play for your country but on the other hand, club pays your salary and club payed (not in Rashford's case) huge transfer fee for you.

So to sum it up; i 100% understand Rashford to go on Euro but if i am an owner of club, i wouldn't be happy. If he went on that surgery in June, he would be ready for PL start. Now, club will be 2 months without him. 2 months without one of key players on huge salary.
As i said.....very complicated situation.

Fahad Jawaid

Its good that he is having his operation done, because he has been in pretty awful form during last season, and in order to win the league next year, we would require all of our top players firing, unlike last year where we had Martial stinking the place and Rashford was hit and miss (performance wise), albeit scoring goals.

we have plenty of options now, we can play Martial (LW) Cavani (ST) & Sancho (RW) or Pogba can also play LW, or we can also shift Sancho on the left and play Greenwood on the right. Therefore its essential he gets proper rest and come back like a new signing during tough run in.

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
For me, as a fan, country comes before club. But for players it is very tricky topic.
It is huge thing to play for your country but on the other hand, club pays your salary and club payed (not in Rashford's case) huge transfer fee for you.

So to sum it up; i 100% understand Rashford to go on Euro but if i am an owner of club, i wouldn't be happy. If he went on that surgery in June, he would be ready for PL start. Now, club will be 2 months without him. 2 months without one of key players on huge salary.
It's a tricky situation to be in to be honest. Majority of players won't pass off the opportunity to represent their country irrespective of who they play for.
Seemed the club understood his situation and gave their blessing. Let's hope he come back fit and sound for the rest of the season.

pacifictheme

It is difficult but I think Southgate could have taken Greenwood instead, knowing Rashford wasn't fit. Seems like a waste of everyone's time as he barely got a look in and clearly wasn't in Southgates plans at all.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
As if you but a player for close to 100mil but don't start him on day 1 :lol:

UpWithRivers

As if you but a player for close to 100mil but don't start him on day 1 :lol:
He's 21. Coming to a new league off the back of the sht he got at the Euros. He is a slow starter normally. He was 70 mill not 100. What happens if we loose the first few games and he's he's not playing well. And I said I could see Ole easing him in. I would probably play him. But Ole tends to do weird sht and I just said I could see him doing it and the reasoning for it.

Glorio

He shouldn't have played the latter end of our season at United either but he did and everyone was okay with that.
Were we? I'm quite certain a lot of fans were saying if he wasn't fit, he shouldn't have been playing

Last edited:

Lee565

With the arrival of sancho and cavani staying on, both martial and Greenwood who had the chance to rest this summer have a golden opportunity to make a strong claim to be the long term first choice left winger this season with rashford out for two months.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
It's Leeds so he might go with James!
Our first game is against Leeds? feck sake. Bielsa is probably on PowerPoint 36 to his players right now

Womp

idiot
With the arrival of sancho and cavani staying on, both martial and Greenwood who had the chance to rest this summer have a golden opportunity to make a strong claim to be the long term first choice left winger this season with rashford out for two months.
Martial has had that opportunity for years now, Marcus has shown he is simply the better and more efficient player, whilst being younger too. Mason's future is still up front imo, I wouldn't be surprised to see him start getting more games up front.

Reiver

Has looked like he's carrying an injury for some time now and needs a rest. I'm sure this is the best thing for him and when he comes back he'll be firing on all cylinders. He's a big player for us despite what some threads and comments suggest.

Mylock

The time out injured will do Rashford a power of good. He'll get a chance to sort out his injuries as it was clear to see that he wasn't able to run at full throttle for the last 18 months, he tried to modify his game, but it didn't work.
Rashford has been by and large a big player for United over the last five seasons. With a little bit of composure and better decision making which will come with the experience and age, he can get to the top 5 in the world. He comes across as a brilliant and outstanding human being who can handle the ups and downs that football brings. He'll go down as a legend at OT; mark my word.

Polar

Really annoys me… Rashford should have taken responsibility himself and prioritised recovery and being fit for fight next season - instead of Euro. When he didn’t, someone should have stopped him and thought of the interest of the club - like Liverpool and VVD (but maybe VVD also realised it himself).

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Really annoys me… Rashford should have taken responsibility himself and prioritised recovery and being fit for fight next season - instead of Euro. When he didn’t, someone should have stopped him and thought of the interest of the club - like Liverpool and VVD (but maybe VVD also realised it himself).
You're having a laugh right. Right? He's played through injuries for his club for a year and a half now, carrying all sorts of injuries. Been run into the ground by his manager. I'd say he's entitled to choose whether or not he represents his country at a major tournament played at home. And VVD wanted to make the Euros but Klopp saw early on that it would be madness to risk his career like that.

RUCK4444

This is the steaming turd right in the middle of a potentially great transfer window.

We need him fit.

I can see what will happen here, Sancho will come in and play LW and will do well, then when Rashford comes back we will FOREVER have people saying we need to play Sancho left and drop Rashford.

Would have wanted them to all slot into their required positions from the off. :(

Polar

I'd say he's entitled to choose whether or not he represents his country at a major tournament played at home. And VVD wanted to make the Euros but Klopp saw early on that it would be madness to risk his career like that.
Rashford is entitled to choose, but VVD isn’t. Don’t see the logic.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Rashford is entitled to choose, but VVD isn’t. Don’t see the logic.
To rush a come back from a career threatening injury is a bit different to delaying surgery for a much lesser injury.

Highfather_24

I dont blame Rashford. I blame Southgate for not letting him know that he didnt plan on using him. England's attack was spoilt for riches, would have easily managed without him.