Rashford is going ahead with surgery and could be out until October

stw2022

But then I'd this is true, then what would explain the dramatic decline in Rashford's mobility from being one of the most explosive players in the world to basically playing like a lamp post.
There’s lots of reasons why a player’s form can fall off a cliff. Not saying there isn’t a niggle or knock it doesn’t make sense for the club to simultaneously conclude he has an injury they recommended surgery for whilst also not thinking he needs to miss any game time to manage an injury severe enough they think he needs surgery to fix.

Real Name

Just get it done ffs.

Not doing it could cause more problems in the long run.

It's a more serious injury but Vrsaljko decided to play in Russia although he needed a surgery on his knee then and fast forward he's half a player he was before and he endangered his career basically.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Get it done for feck sake. Pointless having him playing if he’s going to be what he was like towards the end of last year which was poor.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich

I can’t believe it’s as simple as Rashford being ‘undecided’. That stinks of BS to me. You don’t get to be undecided as a Premiership player on 200k/week. More likely they want to see how he responds to a period of time without training. Rotator cuffs can heal by themselves, and they must believe there is a chance of that happening or surely he’d have been in surgery within days of returning from the Euros.

GlasgowCeltic

Seems best to just let him have the op, this expectation for him to continuously play through injury is a bit Mourinho-y really, credit to Rashford for wanting to though

CG1010

Just do the right thing and let him have the operation / have rest.

We can't make such crucial long-term calls for few games. Anyways Martial should be back from injury, we have Cavani, Greenwood and also Sancho. And if Pogba stays, he is capable of playing left wing too. We can win games without Rashford, in fact the second half of last season was played without significant contribution by Rashford.

If true that’s absolutely crazy. He should have opted out of the Euros really to have the op and be ready for next season.
You can understand him wanting to compete at the Euros...Very few International tournaments in a players career.

Also, plenty of athletes play with completely torn rotator cuffs. Rashford's is only a small, partial tear according to Harris.

Patty Mills, an NBA player, played a season with a complete tear. He ended up playing 96 games and winning a Championship. And basketball is obviously a lot more reliant on shoulder mobility. Paul George did similar recently but without the ring at the end.

edcunited1878

If there's any indecision, it seems to be coming from Marcus's camp. He doesn't want to be out for so long, yet that's part and parcel of recovering from injury and surgery.

The club's medical staff have suggested surgery. Ole wants him to be optimal and healthy, that's pretty obvious. Ultimately, it's up to the player because it's their choice even if they are getting all the advice from the club saying do the surgery.

I hope that Marcus is not hesitating to have surgery because he's afraid of the recovery timeframe and what it means to get his place back into the starting XI. His place is genuinely up for grabs with and without him because the competition for places with the addition of Sancho and continued emergence of Greenwood and Amad, Martial is still here, etc.

Marcus has not engaged in challenges and pressed as much as his teammates because of his injuries. He cannot afford to engage and work so hard off the ball without the lingering risk of further injury.

A healthy and well rested and clear minded Marcus is what the club needs.

Irwin99

Hope he gets the operation and the rest he needs/deserves soon.

Said it a billion times but the decision to go into season 19-20 with just three strikers (and one of those an 18 year old promoted from the youth team) was just astonishing for a club like United. We got away with it in one sense as Bruno transformed us in the January of that year but for two years running Rashford has been clearly injured at several points and still playing. Naturally it's up to the player, manager and medical team but there could be shades of what Sir Alex said about Michael Owen's career if this keeps going on.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

This suggests to me he won’t do it, and he’ll just ‘rest up’. Which is fecking ridiculous. Interesting re: Martial. I thought he came back at the end of the season - didn’t realise he’s still out?

Annoyingly, Amad is with Ivory Coast at the Olympics too, God knows when he gets back.

RedDevilRoshi

Blimey if that is true then Rashford is just doing himself more harm than good the more reluctant he is in undergoing this surgery because of how long he is going to be out of action for.

Ole's screen

Supports
KC Chiefs
Ole needs to sit Marcus down and tell him 12 weeks is a drop in the ocean compared to the rest of his career. I don't mind if we keep Jesse as additional cover, but Rashford needs some time off to completely heal or he'll be finished in the next 3 years.

Big Andy

Bloke
Ole needs to sit Marcus down and tell him 12 weeks is a drop in the ocean compared to the rest of his career. I don't mind if we keep Jesse as additional cover, but Rashford needs some time off to completely heal or he'll be finished in the next 3 years.
:lol: finished at 25 because he didn’t have a shoulder operation?

Tibs

If he needs this op, he should have had it at the end of the seaosn, feck England and the Euros.

Not going to be good if he doesn't....has a so so few months in the season and then goes under the knife...

UnitedRepublic

Wish him a speedy recovery if he gets the operation done, If he choose not to have the operation and play this season I wish him well. If he plays without the operation and plays badly then I don’t want anymore excuses.

CM10

Not sure how Sancho 'coming back late' is justification for Rashford not having surgery when they presumably arrive back at the same time.

I really think it's a bad idea to make him play through again. Rashford's form was horrible for a decent chunk of last season from doing this, and we are hardly lacking in options for the left wing.

Marcus

We should get this done, I agree. We have plenty of options for the wing. Martial (granted injured), James, Elanga, Sancho, Pellistri, Lindgard, Diallo...

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
To me it’s simple either he gets the operation and comes back 100% fit, or he isn’t good enough anyway. People will point to the stats last season but for the last 6 months his performance levels have been shocking and he should be nowhere near the side. Greenwood finished the season playing far better as did Cavani. He needs to get the surgery, have a break and actually start playing well again.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Ridiculous that he spends weeks thinking over whether he should have the operation because he's scared of missing playing time when the delay is just extending the actual time he spends out during the season.

Whoever is advising him needs to be fired.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Ridiculous that he spends weeks thinking over whether he should have the operation because he's scared of missing playing time when the delay is just extending the actual time he spends out during the season.

Surgeon isn't available now anyway right?

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley

Strats

This sounds a bit weird or is my lack of sleep fecking with me? Why is the club telling him to “not rush into decision” If Rashford himself is keen on doing it?

Seems like they want him to play through his pains for another season. Feels like the coaching staff are behind this since they had no issues vastly overusing him last season when it was obvious that he wasn’t fit.

Kajus

This sounds a bit weird or is my lack of sleep fecking with me? Why is the club telling him to “not rush into decision” If Rashford himself is keen on doing it?

Seems like they want him to play through his pains for another season. Feels like the coaching staff are behind this since they had no issues vastly overusing him last season when it was obvious that he wasn’t fit.
Furthermore, the tweets from a week ago suggest that it's the club that wants him to get the surgery done, but he himself does not want to be out for 12 weeks and wants to play through the pain. I think that as per usual none of these reporters actually know anything and we'll find out when/if he actually gets the surgery.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
We and Rashford seriously fecked up here. As i said earlier, i fully understand player's desire to play for NT but this is amateurish stuff by both sides.
He should have missed Euro and do surgery straight after season ended. At least he needed to talk with Southgate and see is he in his plans.
Club also made a mess of it. By investment so far and new contract to Ole, club see this season as very important. So we should have had a talk with Rashford about going to Euro and explain to him how things stand.

Again, i can't blame a player for wanting to play for NT but he is a pro and he needed to do a pro thing here.

Duncan Castles has dodgy reliability, at best, but it's seeming more possible that he might be right about the club not being happy that Rashford went to the Euros and now wants to have, what our doctors and the England doctors consider to be an elective surgery, during club time.

Oldtraffordboy

I love the doctors in this thread saying Rashford should have missed the Euros and the chance to make history so he could have surgery early and play a couple of extra league games for us

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Why is "what's best for the club" a category, when the health of Rashford, and how to best care for it, is considered? Weird thing to say. Second time he's said that now.

Grande

If true that’s absolutely crazy. He should have opted out of the Euros really to have the op and be ready for next season.
This is unacceptable. Who is calling the shots?
If there's any indecision, it seems to be coming from Marcus's camp. He doesn't want to be out for so long, yet that's part and parcel of recovering from injury and surgery.

The club's medical staff have suggested surgery. Ole wants him to be optimal and healthy, that's pretty obvious. Ultimately, it's up to the player because it's their choice even if they are getting all the advice from the club saying do the surgery.

I hope that Marcus is not hesitating to have surgery because he's afraid of the recovery timeframe and what it means to get his place back into the starting XI. His place is genuinely up for grabs with and without him because the competition for places with the addition of Sancho and continued emergence of Greenwood and Amad, Martial is still here, etc.

Marcus has not engaged in challenges and pressed as much as his teammates because of his injuries. He cannot afford to engage and work so hard off the ball without the lingering risk of further injury.

A healthy and well rested and clear minded Marcus is what the club needs.
This suggests to me he won’t do it, and he’ll just ‘rest up’. Which is fecking ridiculous. Interesting re: Martial. I thought he came back at the end of the season - didn’t realise he’s still out?

Annoyingly, Amad is with Ivory Coast at the Olympics too, God knows when he gets back.
Blimey if that is true then Rashford is just doing himself more harm than good the more reluctant he is in undergoing this surgery because of how long he is going to be out of action for.

How about this rule of thumb: If some assumed-supposed-hearsaysounds crazy, it most likely is crazy, i.e.wrong, and the truth is closer to something else.

Something like: As many who’ve had injuries know, gradual restitution and traing have their strengths and risks, operations have other risks, and quite often it is a touch-and-go gamble wether it’s best (for player and team) to wait, heal and train, or operate and hope for no repercussions.

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
If Rashford needs the operation then he should do it.

If Solskjaer doesn't trust Amad then why have we signed him??????

Sancho, Greenwood, Martial, Amad and Elanga (He could go still go on loan in January) are enough good options.

pcaming

United are an embarrassment.
It will be gross negligence to not have him undergo the surgery. There's no benefit to him playing through the injury.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Why is "what's best for the club" a category, when the health of Rashford, and how to best care for it, is considered? Weird thing to say. Second time he's said that now.
Yeah, it's crazy. For any player. But it so happens this is a player who has played through the pain barrier for a season and a half and been run into the ground.