Rashford is going ahead with surgery and could be out until October

You don't think a keane in the current line up is what we need to win trophies? Interesting.
For a few years now we’ve apparently been a ”right winger and CB away”, now we have them we’re suddenly a ”DM away”. Once we pick up a DM the focus will switch to full backs and it’ll go on an on, we’ll forever be a player away.
I don’t look at this team this season and see a one player solution to the clusterfeck of our performances. It’s so much like Liverpool in the 90’s and 00’s, always one player away and this year will be their year.
Much more likely is that like them, we’re a top class management team away.

But sure man, be all scouse and kid yourself for a few more years that the next signing will be the magic bullet.

Last edited:

stw2022

If they were that bad he wouldn't be playing. As a pro player it is apparently rare that you okay without any knocks, niggles, injuries or pain.

You see players have an injury that they play with until the next break when they get surgery. He even went to the Euros, the lack of urgency says it wasn't a severe injury. Or just plain stupid medical staff at United and England.
It’s the ongoing Rashford paradox where anyone who suggested he was playing poorly at the time got shouted down but are now told his injuries were the reason he played poorly.

I don’t remember that at the time. I recall pretty much the consensus being that unless you thought Rashford was playing well you hated Manchester United.

Suggesting he wasn’t playing well in a period now everyone seems to admit he wasn’t playing well was at the time a highly inflammatory thing to say. People literally switched from going after anyone who were suggesting he was out of form to arguing the reason he was out of form was because of his injuries, as if they didn’t spend the period when he was out of form losing their shit at anyone who dare suggested he was out of form.

Last edited:

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Few of posters would be very good politicians, twisting all the words and outright lying about the posts.

It’s the ongoing Rashford paradox where anyone who suggested he was playing poorly at the time got shouted down but are now told his injuries were the reason he played poorly.

I don’t remember that at the time. I recall pretty much the consensus being that unless you thought Rashford was playing well you hated Manchester United.

Suggesting he wasn’t playing well in a period now everyone seems to admit he wasn’t playing well was at the time a highly inflammatory thing to say. People literally switched from going after anyone who were suggesting he was out of form to arguing the reason he was out of form was because of his injuries, as if they didn’t spend the period when he was out of form losing their shit at anyone who dare suggested he was out of form.
I’m pretty sure I recall differently, the majority of posters admitted he was out of form but could still pop up with important moments, but the vitriol aimed at him by some as a shite player that shouldn’t be anywhere near this side was what got people’s backs up.
I don’t remember anyone losing their shit at someone simply suggesting he was out of form, fairly certain you’ve made that up in your own head.

roonster09

Scout
I’m pretty sure I recall differently, the majority of posters admitted he was out of form but could still pop up with important moments, but the vitriol aimed at him by some as a shite player that shouldn’t be anywhere near this side was what got people’s backs up.
I don’t remember anyone losing their shit at someone simply suggesting he was out of form, fairly certain you’ve made that up in your own head.
Exactly, many posters got lot of alerts when they came up with hilarious posts like "Rashford hasn't improved in 3 years" "Rashford won't start for any top 7 clubs in top 5 leagues" "Brain-dead player or posts close to that".

No one gets the shit for saying "Player x is playing poorly and looks out of form".

wolvored

For a few years now we’ve apparently been a ”right winger and CB away”, now we have them we’re suddenly a ”DM away”. Once we pick up a DM the focus will switch to full backs and it’ll go on an on, we’ll forever be a player away.
I don’t look at this team this season and see a one player solution to the clusterfeck of our performances. It’s so much like Liverpool in the 90’s and 00’s, always one player away and this year will be their year.

But sure man, be all scouse and kid yourself for a few more years that the next signing will be the magic bullet.
Yes agree with we will always be one player away. This club has lived on that since Fergie. The never gets old excuse by some fans to support whatever manager we have had, to cover why we never challenge for the top trophies.

Nevilles.Wear.Prada

Supports
JDT

yea.. But KEANO?!

SuperiorXI

How the hell does this “concentrate on his football” bullshit still persist? FFS that and his campaigning are not mutually exclusive and there’s been zero suggestion that he’s ever let it get in the way of his football.
Just block and ignore them. Cut from the same cloth as 'all lives matter'.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.

This is what fans don't want to hear. They think it's like football manager where once you get all the missing pieces, try a formation and eventually the team will get used to it and play well. It just doesn't happen like that and besides I see other problems on the pitch completely unrelated to a dominating defensive midfielder.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Rashford is the missing piece.

Once fully fit, him Ronaldo and Sancho will be scary to play against
On Fifa.

We'll have Ronaldo, Ronaldo-lite and Sancho up front, not doing a tap to press or help out.

This isn't Fifa where you can put three 90+ pace players up front and score loads.

Play those three and watch teams bypass them with ease and then attack McFred time and time again.

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
On Fifa.

We'll have Ronaldo, Ronaldo-lite and Sancho up front, not doing a tap to press or help out.

This isn't Fifa where you can put three 90+ pace players up front and score loads.

Play those three and watch teams bypass them with ease and then attack McFred time and time again.
Watch those three (Rashford left, Sancho right in his actual position) take apart teams on the counter

Chief123

I honestly don’t think Scholes or Keane would make much difference, the pair of them though… well then you’d have a squad just making the tactics themselves.
This is quite possibly the most bizarre post I've seen on here. Keane or Scholes to replace a Fred or Mctominay would make little difference? You can't be serious! 2 of the greatest midfielders to ever play in the league would be a huge difference to what we currently have!

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout

It's not to say I wouldn't crawl over crack needles for a prime Keano but I agree; very few if any squads in history are perfect, winning is about using what you have to its best effect, making a better sum out of the parts. We haven't done that at all post-Fergie, we're certainly not doing it now and the fact the parts are currently than they've been at any time since 2013 is a source of mounting frustration.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
He has nearly 90 goals for us already, what is he supposed to be proving?
He’s scored 1 goal less than Martial in the PL, having played 7 games more. Surely he has to prove that he’s better than Martial, let alone Rooney etc?

roonster09

Scout
He’s scored 1 goal less than Martial in the PL, having played 7 games more. Surely he has to prove that he’s better than Martial, let alone Rooney etc?
And in last 2 seasons very few players have more goals and assists than Rashford in PL.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
And in last 2 seasons very few players have more goals and assists than Rashford in PL.
I like Rashford, don’t get me wrong. Especially because of what a rounded, socially conscious person he seems to be. But I was responding to someone asking what he needed to prove, and purely as a footballer he needs to prove an absolute ton before he can be compared to the really top forwards your club, and this country, have produced.

roonster09

Scout
I like Rashford, don’t get me wrong. Especially because of what a rounded, socially conscious person he seems to be. But I was responding to someone asking what he needed to prove, and purely as a footballer he needs to prove an absolute ton before he can be compared to the really top forwards your club, and this country, have produced.
That's why you should see the context of the post. It was when some numpty journalist comes up with "He should answer on the pitch, not off the pitch", he has already answered on the pitch.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
He has nearly 90 goals for us already, what is he supposed to be proving?
In recent years he's spent half of each seemingly way off form.
Surely you were around to see the 100s of threads debating it?

"Hopefully", it's due to him having not been even remotely fit and playing through injuries in those spells, and we've got him healed now.

Also, premier league footballers constantly have to prove their current level.
Heck, we've even seen people doubting Ronaldo after he's started with 5 in 5!

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Well that excludes Martial then.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
That's why you should see the context of the post. It was when some numpty journalist comes up with "He should answer on the pitch, not off the pitch", he has already answered on the pitch.
Ok, fair point, I’m with you on that. The idea that you have to choose one or the other is divisive and illogical, probably deliberately so. I didn’t see someone make that point and I certainly don’t agree with it.

roonster09

Scout
Ok, fair point, I’m with you on that. The idea that you have to choose one or the other is divisive and illogical, probably deliberately so. I didn’t see someone make that point and I certainly don’t agree with it.
Yeah, it's always good when players who are influential makes the difference, especially such a fantastic campaign.

RUCK4444

He’s a feckin excellent player. When in form would get into most of our rivals teams imo.

He’s not going to be Ronaldo levels of consistency but who is, people are quick to turn on him even though we know he’s been carrying injuries for a long time and largely ignore the likes of Martial and others who don’t give half as much effort and desire (and not to mention nowhere near his output of goals/assists.)

Jackal981

It's not to say I wouldn't crawl over crack needles for a prime Keano but I agree; very few if any squads in history are perfect, winning is about using what you have to its best effect, making a better sum out of the parts. We haven't done that at all post-Fergie, we're certainly not doing it now and the fact the parts are currently than they've been at any time since 2013 is a source of mounting frustration.
Agree. Liverpool has Henderson as their captain when they won the CL and league. No team is perfect full of superstars like in FIFA.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
How do the assists stack up?

Ibi Dreams

In all competitions Rashford has 9 more goals in 8 more games. Remarkably similar stats. The difference, though, is that Rashford's output every year has either improved or remained the same as the previous season. Martial has been very up and down in comparison

stw2022

Sorry just go back and read the performance thread during a time when apparently everyone now accepts his form was poor due to injury. Every single criticism was reacted to with absolute horror. To the point it actually became a toxic environment for anyone who dared to notice he wasn’t playing well.

It’s still there to read. It’s absolutely not a record of people calmly accepting his form had nose-dived. Much of it was people mocking those who opined he was not playing well by quoting assist or ‘goal contribution’ stats and using this: :lol:

Isn’t to say all criticism was valid, my own included, but to pretend it wasn’t full on ‘leave Britney alone’ is delusional. Quite bizarre now given how you now apparently no longer need the witness protection programme to admit you don’t think he was very good in second half if season. Wasn’t like that when it was happening

Last edited:

RUCK4444

Sorry just go back and read the performance thread during a time when apparently everyone now accepts his form was poor due to injury. Every single criticism was reacted to with absolute horror. To the point it actually became a toxic environment for anyone who dared to notice he wasn’t playing well
He was never that bad ffs :lol:

This topic is only a ‘thing’ becuase how over the top the criticism was.

Even when out of form and injured he was still one of our most productive players and gives his 100% every game.

We had and still have far bigger issues and worse performing players than that version of Rashford.

Cloud7

+1

C'est Moi Cantona

Yes we are clearly short of a decent DM, but otherwise usually have the abillity to have 10 top class players on the pitch, yet people keep coming back to the one 'missing' player.

We can always improve, but there is alot more wrong with us right now than not having Declan Rice in the team.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

Yeah, agreed.

We were also apparently desperately in need of the “final piece in the jigsaw” throughout the Fergie era. And this was also a tough-tackling central midfielder (Essien, Hargreaves etc) The thing is, we kept on winning things despite this.

No team is ever perfect. There’s always areas that can be improved. If we have to wait until we have the perfect squad to start winning trophies we’ll be waiting a very long time.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
If Liverpool can do it with Milner Ox and Henderson then the system is clearly greater than the sum of its parts. Even a cheap punt like Tsimikas comes in and looks at ease. They are all physically playing flat out but technically they are in their comfort zone in well drilled and familiar patterns. They know their roles inside out. They are confident their press will destroy the low block and gets them in amongst it battling away from the off. Their percentage crosses are turned in game after game. There is always someone busting a gut on the overlap giving an out ball or someone gambling with a selfless run. Better than us just signing player after player seemingly without a plan as to how we will use them.