Rashford: Manchester United are back to normal

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
A good interview with Rashford ahead of new season, some excerpts:

"Then under Jose I feel like we all understood the game a bit better, especially defensively. And now under Ole we're trying to combine the two, and at the same time he knows the club for what the club is so he can spread his own messages too. For me it's like it's back to normal, and that is the most important thing.
Asked how the pre-season differs to that under Mourinho, Rashford said: "I'd say the intensity change, from how we were towards the end of last season, to where we are now. It's so clear to see the difference in terms of intensity, especially without the ball. That's where we've taken a lot of strides forward.

"It definitely feels different. For starters, physically we're at a much better position than we were this time last year, going into the season. We're already three or four steps ahead of where we were last season, and now it's about putting the fundamentals down about how we're going to play."
More here: https://www.skysports.com/football/...xclusive-manchester-united-are-back-to-normal

Shark

@NotShark
I appreciate the positivity and attitude, but let’s wait to see hoe things turn out on the pitch before saying it’s back to normal.

izec

Hope they did some training with the ball as well. All i hear is fitness, intensity and without the ball. Thats important of course, but without confidence on the ball, movement and attacking patterns it isnt worth a lot, especially against sides parking the bus

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
We really have morphed into Liverpool, pretty sure all their players talked the talk but could never walk the walk, maybe our PR team could perhaps tell these guys to stop spouting this stuff in the media? People already have enough crap to sling back at them without using these puff pieces.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
Talk is cheap. Everything will be back to normal when we win the league.

I think average was the word he was looking for rather than normal. :smirk:

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
We really have morphed into Liverpool, pretty sure all their players talked the talk but could never walk the walk, maybe our PR team could perhaps tell these guys to stop spouting this stuff in the media? People already have enough crap to sling back at them without using these puff pieces.
Maybe people need to chill and not analyse every word. They give intervjues, it's part of the cause.

Stadjer

A normal starting Manchester United striker is expected to score 20 goals during the season... so lets see if he is right about Manchester United back to normal.

Womp

idiot
Rashford didn't really know what the club was like when it was 'normal', though, really. He came into the fray under LVG and the club wasn't normal by any means then or since then.

Positive signs though that players have been speaking out about the increase in intensity, hopefully they show it on the pitch though.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
I’ll start listening to Rashfords analysis of progress when he’s started banging in the goals. I’d much rather see progress than be told about it.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Maybe people need to chill and not analyse every word. They give intervjues, it's part of the cause.
I am chill? Just saying that these interviews have been given with the same things said for the past 5 years, it would be best for them not to say how "normal" United feel now, as United fans certainly don't feel it's normal, when they win the first 10 games then start saying things feel normal for United.

Not really hard to grasp my point? I know what you're saying though so I understand your reply.

Dante

Average bang
I am chill? Just saying that these interviews have been given with the same things said for the past 5 years, it would be best for them not to say how "normal" United feel now, as United fans certainly don't feel it's normal, when they win the first 10 games then start saying things feel normal for United.

Not really hard to grasp my point? I know what you're saying though so I understand your reply.
If you can say that from a different country, surely a player within the club should beallowed to share their opinion on the same topic?

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!

Not you but people get so hung up with what they say. They have to give intervjues and I guess it's part of building up some positives for the new season.

AgentSquirrel

Rashford didn't really know what the club was like when it was 'normal', though, really. He came into the fray under LVG and the club wasn't normal by any means then or since then.

Positive signs though that players have been speaking out about the increase in intensity, hopefully they show it on the pitch though.
How could he not know what the club used to be like? He's been here for what, 14 years? He may not have been involved in the ins and outs of the first team, but the atmosphere around the entire club will be something he's keenly aware of.

Chicharito_

It's clear Ole has spoken with Rashford about being a leader to the younger guys, I've always liked the way he's spoken in the press but I think this is the season to show if he is the real deal or not. I'm not talking about 14 goals 7 assists, we've backed him with his new contract and sold a proven goalscorer for him to be the main man - you have to show it now Marcus. If he stays fit all season then he has to hit 25 goals in all comps.

Snafu17

A player with extensive media training gives a positive noncontroversial answer in an interview, fans of a struggling club get pointlessly annoyed, time and energy are wasted around the world.

Kag

Hope they did some training with the ball as well. All i hear is fitness, intensity and without the ball. Thats important of course, but without confidence on the ball, movement and attacking patterns it isnt worth a lot, especially against sides parking the bus
I reckon they spent two months running between cones.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Yes Rashford, we know you and the rest of our squad are well versed in public relations.

Try doing on the pitch though eh.

Woodzy

Give him a break. Just a case of a player being positive ahead of a new season - all players do these sorts of interviews.

Putting that aside, we haven't kicked a ball yet. If he's still saying shit like this 3/4 into the season and we are clearly shite then maybe we can start having a go.

tenpoless

Nothing wrong with what He says. It's nice to see some positivity coming from our own players.

I can understand how people are skeptic about it though.

SecondFig

A player with extensive media training gives a positive noncontroversial answer in an interview, fans of a struggling club get pointlessly annoyed, time and energy are wasted around the world.
Fecking this. What the hell does anyone expect him to say? "We all feel that Woodward is a clueless Muppet and the gaffer is just a marketing scape-goat for the board"?

And for those saying "I wish they'd do the talking on the pitch" - we've not had a bloody game yet! The players face constant media engagements - interviews with journalists, fan groups, sponsorship partners. They have to say something, and these days they're coached extensively to say something that's positive, on-brand, non-controversial.

So Rashford saying "we're feeling good and looking forward to the season" is literally meaningless. And yet it still somehow infuriates countless fans who were expecting him to take a vow of silence until he'd hit their 20 goal target for the season.

Womp

idiot
How could he not know what the club used to be like? He's been here for what, 14 years? He may not have been involved in the ins and outs of the first team, but the atmosphere around the entire club will be something he's keenly aware of.
There's a huge difference between simply being situated around something and actually living/experiencing it.

LVGWay

Normal for Manchester United is winning the league, challenging for every trophy and going far in the CL, and not having players like Marcus Rashford up top

Funky Futurista

Everyone here bashing him for talking about the fitness part of it just ignores the fact that he says that the focus under Mourinho was defensive and that the focus has now been on combining that with going forward. Is it that hard to understand we've also been training attacking scenarios?

We also need to be much fitter than we were under Mourinho. Looking at the other top 5 in the league proves that much, our own end to the season proves that. Unless Ole comes up with the most genious plan in the history of football, we need to be fit to fight for the ball for 90 minutes.

He also seems happy going into the new season, and that is very important as well. Going into the new season with a good attitude instead of hanging his head can do wonders for his confidence in front of goal.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
I wish we'd do the talking on the pitch and not off it.
Well the team has won all 7 of its pre-season games. I'm not sure how much more talking he can possibly do? We have a season opener today.

Can't the players come out with some positivity?

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
If you can say that from a different country, surely a player within the club should beallowed to share their opinion on the same topic?
I didnt say they shouldnt have their opinion? It's just a little excessive when the same lines are said each summer? If the feeling within the club is back to where it was under Fergie, then great, and he will have more of a valid opinion than me, but we've all heard the same story before, all I'm saying is that this topic could be brought up after a long winning streak.

@Catt I know that the negative vibe around here is getting tiresome, and that players have to give interviews, but them saying it feels like United are back to normal (as in, our successful days) is going to rub a lot of fans the wrong way when they haven't even kicked a ball in anger yet.

Like I've said, after a 10 game winning streak then come out with it, but the past 6 years are more proof of where we're at right now than Rashford saying it feels like the old United.

I hope he's right btw, and no doubt Ole is putting the feel good factor into this squad, let's just pray that these players can cope with the first negative result as they haven't been able to do so this far.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
These individual mistakes are killing us, we dominate the other side and then one error out of nowhere completely kills us. First with Lindelof, later with De Gea.

Still, this is 'normal Man Utd for past 6 years. Devoid of ideas in attack.