Rashford must be dropped!

redshaw

Was surprised to see him come on for England if he's being overplayed or carrying an injury.

RedCoffee

Rants that backfired
Yeah but how are we gonna sell him. Even people discussing his inflated stats on fifa are calling him Rashford in real life and overrated.

He is on 200k. There will be no takers.
Barcelona were looking at him in the summer which is why we bumped up his salary to a ridiculous amount.
He is overrated because he is young and English. He needs to look carefully at himself in the coming months.

Jonno

In an ideal world, Rashford breaks into the team by working hard and trying to dismantle a peak Van Nistelrooy or Rooney or Tevez or Berbatov or Cole or Van Persie or Ibrahimovic - by learning from world class players and coming off the bench and starting 10-12 games.

Sadly he’s being expected to lead the line every week, with an awful midfield behind him that can only create 1-2 good chances per game. As a result he’s losing his belief when making runs behind, losing confidence when the balls at his feet, he’s clearly not being coached very well.

It’s not all his fault, but he’s playing very badly.

dogwithabone

How is Rashford getting selected by Southgate ? Is he watching matches or just picking his squad on guesswork ? I agree with the above post that Rashford is among the worst strikers in the PL, not just on current form but from a good chunk of the back end of last season too.

Although OGS made catastrophic mistakes in shedding our strike force he, unlike Southgate, has no option but to play him. We have literally no one else fit or up to it but Rashford shouldn’t be anywhere near an England squad.

Mainoldo

How is Rashford getting selected by Southgate ? Is he watching matches or just picking his squad on guesswork ? I agree with the above post that Rashford is among the worst strikers in the PL, not just on current form but from a good chunk of the back end of last season too.

Although OGS made catastrophic mistakes in shedding our strike force he, unlike Southgate, has no option but to play him. We have literally no one else fit or up to it but Rashford shouldn’t be anywhere near an England squad.
He’s in the England squad because he hasn’t let Southgate down and he’s still young and very obvious playing in an out of form team.

What we really should be asking is why his bad form has lasted so long. He clearly is better than what he is showing.

GlasgowCeltic

Mourinho used him the right way but took stick for not using him up front ahead of Zlatan

InspiRED

Supports
Outraged snowflakes
Some posts from earlier in this thread talking about the ego point and saying that it's a bizarre notion that he has this inflated ego.

I don't think it is though I think it's a bit on the money, though in many ways don't blame Rashford. He started out really humble player, I remember watching interview with him and Lukaku and the interviewer asked if Lukaku was worth £75m how much would Rashford go for. And Rashford laughing said "on a free".

Fast forward to now though, the english press hype machine has done a number on him. He's obv had his agent in his ear since he had that hot patch in Jan last year telling him he's the next superstar and needs a wage to match. And over time we now have Rashford who looks like he's trying way too hard and doing silly things like knuckle ball freekicks and strops when he doesnt get exact ball he wants. That's also in part, like others said, because there are no experienced elite forwards in the side for him to learn from and contend with and he is not mature enough to be relied upon.

So yeah I reckon there is an ego problem. But i blame the unique circumstances mostly. Agree with others don't like to see him written off, because he obviously has potential. You don't win PL player of the month without it.

HowieC

Barcelona were looking at him in the summer which is why we bumped up his salary to a ridiculous amount.
He is overrated because he is young and English. He needs to look carefully at himself in the coming months.
Barcelona were not looking at him. The athletic was wrong. This guy is so bad technically can you imagine him in a rondo? He would be in the center all the time.

Dont even mention his tactical cluelessness.

el3mel

Maybe his agent was spouting nonsense to make us give him a giga contract. We are idiots and keep falling in this trap all the time.

elnorte

Freaky fly day
I queried a little while back whether this Barca rumour was even true. The response was not a chance.

Alabaster Codify7

I queried a little while back whether this Barca rumour was even true. The response was not a chance.
It was never,ever true. The rumour was put out there by Rashy and his agent to panic the club into offering him a big deal. He's nowhere near a good enough footballer to excel at s club like Barca. They don't do hit and run merchants, especially not for the sort of wage he wanted.

Alabaster Codify7

Some posts from earlier in this thread talking about the ego point and saying that it's a bizarre notion that he has this inflated ego.

I don't think it is though I think it's a bit on the money, though in many ways don't blame Rashford. He started out really humble player, I remember watching interview with him and Lukaku and the interviewer asked if Lukaku was worth £75m how much would Rashford go for. And Rashford laughing said "on a free".

Fast forward to now though, the english press hype machine has done a number on him. He's obv had his agent in his ear since he had that hot patch in Jan last year telling him he's the next superstar and needs a wage to match. And over time we now have Rashford who looks like he's trying way too hard and doing silly things like knuckle ball freekicks and strops when he doesnt get exact ball he wants. That's also in part, like others said, because there are no experienced elite forwards in the side for him to learn from and contend with and he is not mature enough to be relied upon.

So yeah I reckon there is an ego problem. But i blame the unique circumstances mostly. Agree with others don't like to see him written off, because he obviously has potential. You don't win PL player of the month without it.
When i look at him I agree, I don't see an egomaniac but what I see is an impressionable bloke who seems to think he SHOULD carry himself like he has a big ego. Sort of like trying to act the part now he's our 'main man'.

This is also not a good character trait to have. Arrogance,if natural and warranted, can be acceptable. But when you're blatantly trying to blag arrogance,it stands out like a sore thumb.

Nevilles.Wear.Prada

Supports
JDT
Can you imagine him running looking straight ahead in nou camp? (By the way anyone else noticed he tend to clutter the ball when he is not looking at the ball directly when he moves with the ball,wtf was that). Then he gets stuck into dead end there? The crowd will kill him there. I don't know if he is mismanaged, over hyped or over played or under supplied but he cannot lead the line here. Maybe not ever, but thats just me.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
It was never,ever true. The rumour was put out there by Rashy and his agent to panic the club into offering him a big deal. He's nowhere near a good enough footballer to excel at s club like Barca. They don't do hit and run merchants, especially not for the sort of wage he wanted.
So rumor was put out by Rashy and his agent and they planted that rumor in Spanish media, even more in the papers who runs Barca agenda? Such an odd thing to do.

Velvet Revolver

So he loves united because of money and not because he is a Manchester born lad and gets the club and all that jazz? Shocking! Why is ole so naive?

Velvet Revolver

Can you imagine him running looking straight ahead in nou camp? (By the way anyone else noticed he tend to clutter the ball when he is not looking at the ball directly when he moves with the ball,wtf was that). Then he gets stuck into dead end there? The crowd will kill him there. I don't know if he is mismanaged, over hyped or over played or under supplied but he cannot lead the line here. Maybe not ever, but thats just me.
If you look at his vidoes when he sprung into the lime light. His movement in and around the box is quite good ( some credit to LVG's coaching staff) but ever since that with Jose and ole he seems to be doing his own stuff upfront. Too much pressing when everyone else is backing off, making runs and getting annoyed when ball is not played at the moment he wants ( Even though there are 2 defenders covering him), Holding the ball too long and then making tricks to lose the ball and now his movement in the box is horribly bad it's like he stops himself from doing anything. Currently he is just a speed merchant! I would say a good coaching team can get him to do more only if he is humble enough to learn ( he already thinks he is the next best thing)

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
So rumor was put out by Rashy and his agent and they planted that rumor in Spanish media, even more in the papers who runs Barca agenda? Such an odd thing to do.
Happens all the time. Ramos did it to us. All it takes is a few words from their agents and rumours start to spread. Even if it is clearly BS. These rumours started in English tabloids which were then picked up by Spanish papers not the other way round.

Sanche7

Ole trusted Rashford blindly and now we are paying the price for that. IMO he will never be a top player, his technique is not good enough and his finishing is inconsistent to say the least. I agree too much is asked of him too often. I actually like him even less after the whole stunt he pulled to get a huge contract. I know this has been said more than enough times, but we have the worst contract negotiation team ever. I mean, why give him 200k per week? At least they could have made him sign a 6+1 year contract or something. Kane had no problem signing a similar contract for 6 years when he's in his prime, why was Rashy, who is living the dream of playing for United, reluctant to do the same

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
So we're agreed then, he's the worst player in the history of the game.

Am I doing this right?

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Happens all the time. Ramos did it to us. All it takes is a few words from their agents and rumours start to spread. Even if it is clearly BS. These rumours started in English tabloids which were then picked up by Spanish papers not the other way round.
Spanish papers reported from Barca point of view and it was from their source. They didn't mention any English paper.

You can search those reports.

MisterLupus

When i look at him I agree, I don't see an egomaniac but what I see is an impressionable bloke who seems to think he SHOULD carry himself like he has a big ego. Sort of like trying to act the part now he's our 'main man'.

This is also not a good character trait to have. Arrogance,if natural and warranted, can be acceptable. But when you're blatantly trying to blag arrogance,it stands out like a sore thumb.
Yeah it takes being "quite impressionable" (and that's an understatement) agreeing to do that "Beanz Beanz Beanz" video with Lingard. I mean seriously posting that not knowing how utterly cringe it is tells you something about a person - at the very least that they're most likely surrounded by yes-men and have never heard the words "dude you look ridiculous what the feck is wrong with you?" in their lives :lol:

As for topic - too much is expected of Rashford and for the last three-four games he's had absolutely no quality support whatsoever. He's not a bad prospect at all - he'd be an awesome rotation option, much like that's where both McTominay and James would sit as well had this been a title-challenging United. This transfer window... Sheesh... It's hit us even harder than I imagined it would. Imagine how good we'd look if we managed to get some real quality signed up front and in midfield.

elnorte

Freaky fly day
Spanish papers reported from Barca point of view and it was from their source. They didn't mention any English paper.

You can search those reports.
Nonetheless it does seem peculiar that Barca would be interested.

racimovic

i don't think Rashford must be dropped, even if you want to drop him their is no other player in the bench.
i think that he needs more suport in the pitch and from our fans, he is one of the few players that have some kind of creativity in the squad.

Classnordic

Barcelona were not looking at him. The athletic was wrong. This guy is so bad technically can you imagine him in a rondo? He would be in the center all the time.

Dont even mention his tactical cluelessness.
The things you mention are all skills. Skills wich has to be coached and taught. Put an in form Rashford with quality players around him, and we will see a good player.
Imo, he´s just really bad coached. The players around him does not help the case in the slightest.

AFC NimbleThumb

Rashford coming into a Fergie side in the Welbeck role would be a revelation.

There’s simply no comparison between the players & look how talented Welbeck looked in a settled/good team.

The rashford hate is misguided to a point where it boarders on. . . questionable vs other ‘limited talents’ being widely touted on here.

iHicksy

Agree with this. He certainly does have an ego. You can tell from body language (if you watch the games) when things don't go his way. But it's certainly of the clubs making. Giving a 21 year old ridiculous wages and pimping him out all over social media whilst telling him he's first choice, and seems to be untouchable no matter what will certainly do things to someone that age. Christ, I dread to think what I would have been like at his age with all this adulation and money. He's not good enough as the finished article and that's not his fault. However, I do feel that we may have permanently harmed his development by creating this ego and judging by his finishing/movement around the box, it doesn't seem like he's being coached particularly well either.

vangagal

The things you mention are all skills. Skills wich has to be coached and taught. Put an in form Rashford with quality players around him, and we will see a good player.
Imo, he´s just really bad coached. The players around him does not help the case in the slightest.
If he skills enough, he would be just fine around mediocre players better yet, around mediocre players he should be shine because of his quality. In reality, he just a average player bad coach or not.

vangagal

Agree with this. He certainly does have an ego. You can tell from body language (if you watch the games) when things don't go his way. But it's certainly of the clubs making. Giving a 21 year old ridiculous wages and pimping him out all over social media whilst telling him he's first choice, and seems to be untouchable no matter what will certainly do things to someone that age. Christ, I dread to think what I would have been like at his age with all this adulation and money. He's not good enough as the finished article and that's not his fault. However, I do feel that we may have permanently harmed his development by creating this ego and judging by his finishing/movement around the box, it doesn't seem like he's being coached particularly well either.
Its all on Ole, he makes him his 1st choice clear since day 1. Judge him as such, not a young player anymore.

iHicksy

Its all on Ole, he makes him his 1st choice clear since day 1. Judge him as such, not a young player anymore.
I mean, yeah that's certainly true. But by no means is it all on Ole. The club gave him a crazy contract and made him the face of social media.

JPB

He's absolutely terrible. Greenwood is 10x the player than he is.

vangagal

I mean, yeah that's certainly true. But by no means is it all on Ole. The club gave him a crazy contract and made him the face of social media.
Put his crazy contract aside, his on pitch performances just so inconsistent to be warranted status as no.1. Its all on coach.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
So if you're shit you cant be dropped because it wont help.

If you're in poor form you need game time so you can't be dropped.

If you're not match fit you need game to be fit.

If you're shit you need game time to improve.

So um... when can we drop him?

vangagal

So if you're shit you cant be dropped because it wont help.

If you're in poor form you need game time so you can't be dropped.

If you're not match fit you need game to be fit.

If you're shit you need game time to improve.

So um... when can we drop him?
When he retired from football. Obviously. :D