Rashford must be dropped!

Lentwood

I’ve been one of Rashford’s biggest critics and let’s face it, as a CF he wouldn’t get in a Championship side on ability. Just doesn’t have a strikers instinct and in fact, doesn’t actually have any of the qualities required to play CF

Having said that, the lad is not awful as a winger and can at least contribute if we play him out wide on the right with Dan James on the left

Looks like another thing one of the greatest managers of our time may know more about than some people in the media and/or on the Internet....

dogwithabone

He’s in the England squad because he hasn’t let Southgate down and he’s still young and very obvious playing in an out of form team.

What we really should be asking is why his bad form has lasted so long. He clearly is better than what he is showing.

Is he better than he’s showing though ? Football - particularly on the international stage - is littered with players who have burst on the scene, got too big for their boots and just fallen away.

I hope I’m wrong but I think Rashford is one such example. Any striker who goes through barren spells with the frequency he does is not the real deal. Cash in and get rid

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
Spanish papers reported from Barca point of view and it was from their source. They didn't mention any English paper.

You can search those reports.

This is from mundo deportivo which is Barcas main newspaper. Basically it says, in England they are talking of a mega offer from Barca for rashford with the daily mirror being the sourse. Another Barca newspaper el sport is quoting the daily mail as the source. And Madrids newspaper AS is quoting el sport as the source. Nothing directly from Spanish papers.

https://www.mundodeportivo.com/futb...lan-de-un-oferton-del-barca-por-rashford.html

Mainoldo

Is he better than he’s showing though ? Football - particularly on the international stage - is littered with players who have burst on the scene, got too big for their boots and just fallen away.

I hope I’m wrong but I think Rashford is one such example. Any striker who goes through barren spells with the frequency he does is not the real deal. Cash in and get rid
He’s definitely better than he is showing he’s no better than Mendez-Liang on current form. He is not that level.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
He’s in the England squad because he hasn’t let Southgate down and he’s still young and very obvious playing in an out of form team.

What we really should be asking is why his bad form has lasted so long. He clearly is better than what he is showing.
Purple patch works both ways. Maybe his good forms are the outliers. When he burst into the scene he has the unknown effect defenders dont know what to expect from him, even we dont know who he was before that. Sure.. our player but he really comes out of of the dark.

If he's that good he can replicate his form, even inconsistently. Something he failed to do now that teams are aware of who he is and starts to take him seriously

Mainoldo

Purple patch works both ways. Maybe his good forms are the outliers. When he burst into the scene he has the unknown effect defenders dont know what to expect from him, even we dont know who he was before that. Sure.. our player but he really comes out of of the dark.

If he's that good he can replicate his form, even inconsistently. Something he failed to do now that teams are aware of who he is and starts to take him seriously
Purple patch doesn’t last over 2year. If he’s crap for two years he’s just crap. So let’s wait and see.

Sir Scott McToMinay

He is an inside forward, not a number 9.
He could do well enough in a 2 striker formation, but not as a lone striker.
He is only starting matches up top because Solskjær doesn’t trust his backup striker (Greenwood) in the absence of his inconsistent and injury prone starting striker (Martial).

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
This is from mundo deportivo which is Barcas main newspaper. Basically it says, in England they are talking of a mega offer from Barca for rashford with the daily mirror being the sourse. Another Barca newspaper el sport is quoting the daily mail as the source. And Madrids newspaper AS is quoting el sport as the source. Nothing directly from Spanish papers.

https://www.mundodeportivo.com/futb...lan-de-un-oferton-del-barca-por-rashford.html
You just picked the report that sourced their info from English media.

Here is Sport.es reporting their own story.

June 6th.
https://www.sport.es/es/noticias/comunicacion/esta-nuestra-portada-hoy-7493512

English version
https://www.sport-english.com/en/ne...hford-to-solve-their-attacking-issues-7493377

They also reported Barca's interest back in 2017.

Mundo deportivo's own report.
https://www.mundodeportivo.com/futb...r-united-dos-cartas-fichaje-fc-barcelona.html

Mundo deportivo's report from Feb.
https://www.mundodeportivo.com/futb...23/rashford-el-sueno-imposible-del-barca.html

There will be few more if we search for more reports.

Also Sportwitness have translated many reports, few of them are sourced from English media and few of them are from Spanish papers.
http://sportwitness.co.uk/tag/marcus-rashford/

AFC NimbleThumb

He certainly does have an ego. You can tell from body language (if you watch the games) when things don't go his way.
Comments like this are unbelievably damaging.

We witness them for one, rarely two sets of 90 minutes a week & draw such disparaging conclusions.

I don’t know if he does or does not have “an ego” but the way it’s become an unequivocal fact round here doesn’t sit right.

The club has been blessed with egos; I happen to think you should have abit of one if you’re going to wear the shirt but him being not so good at aspects of football shouldn’t be attributed to ‘an ego we see when he plays’, he’s selfish on the ball; an ego that does not make.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
You just picked the report that sourced their info from English media.

Here is Sport.es reporting their own story.

June 6th.
https://www.sport.es/es/noticias/comunicacion/esta-nuestra-portada-hoy-7493512

English version
https://www.sport-english.com/en/ne...hford-to-solve-their-attacking-issues-7493377

They also reported Barca's interest back in 2017.

Mundo deportivo's own report.
https://www.mundodeportivo.com/futb...r-united-dos-cartas-fichaje-fc-barcelona.html

Mundo deportivo's report from Feb.
https://www.mundodeportivo.com/futb...23/rashford-el-sueno-imposible-del-barca.html

There will be few more if we search for more reports.

Also Sportwitness have translated many reports, few of them are sourced from English media and few of them are from Spanish papers.
http://sportwitness.co.uk/tag/marcus-rashford/

I suppose its one thing we'll never know unless Rashford writes a book. Those links you gave still are no where near conclusive. The el sport articles are very different when translated. In the Spanish version it says, "in our headline this Friday we open with the possibility that the number 9 that Barca could be looking for is Rashford". It's basically saying that el sport are reaching their own conclusions.

From mundo deportivo's own report it says "IF barca decide to go for rashford, coutinho could maybe be used as leverage."

It's the same at all top clubs. Top players are spoken about even if the clubs aren't interested as we've seen at United for years. Some of its true, some of it's for players trying to get a better contract and some of its utter bull. It's impossible to separate the chaff from the wheat.

Sorry I can't reply to any other posts. Being a newbie this is my last for today unless you can loan me a few more :rolleyes:

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers

Absolutely right.
If Ole, as an ex striker is such a good coach then why has this young man's form dropped so much.

el3mel

The problem is we have been trying too much to shoehorn him into the "English icon" of the team and putting in the state of Rooney in his peak years. Making him the main main in the lineup, giving him the number 10 shirt and all the FKs. Way too much overhype and overrating of a decent at best player that led to an overinflated ego and becoming selfish with more and more time. We put him in a place he doesn't deserve. He's a decent squad player with good pace and inconsistent finishing. We should have kept him in such state for now, but we managed him completely wrong, and now he has bought into his hype and he's thinking himself the new Rooney/Ronaldo of United.

dogwithabone

Pere... Greenwo... Ashley Yo...

Good point.

That’s the problem. It really is unbelievably reckless management by Solskjaer. Here we are, Manchester United biggest club in the world and all that, relying on an unproven number 9 in terms of goal output (Rashford), a sort of striker who’s injury prone (Martial) and a kid nowhere near ready.

I’m absolutely serious when I say we must be one of the only top flight clubs, never mind elite clubs, in Europe without a proper recognised number 9 in our ranks. It’s madness.

Enigma_87

You know who
Rashford needs a rest... kid doesn't look fit
We have next what? 5 games in 13 games or something? Rashford will be run to the ground I imagine. He's our only option up front and Martial has no match fitness.

He definitely needs to play once a week in the next month to gain some confidence and rest.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
If Rashford is going to be played then play him upfront with a partner so it makes their life easier.

Let Greenwood & Rashford subdivide the attacking pressures and the spaces to beat the defence. They can atleast attempt to create chances for each other if nothing comes from midfield - which hardly ever does.

Make a Cam play - someone who can create chances like Pogba or Gomes because Mata nor Lingard can't do that for the front two aswell.

Rashford played as a target man in a 4231 with James on one side & Pereira on the other isn't going to do anything for him & I feel sorry for the lad trying to make runs for passes that don't come, crosses that are not that great all the whilst not being that type of CF anyway.

Reactions: SteveJ

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
I can't believe there are some who still believe this nonsense of Barcelona being interested in Rashford at any point in his career. :houllier:

I mean, just think about it, what does Rashford bring to the table that Barcelona would ever be interested in, or could get somewhere else, especially for the price that was being quoted? It's the epitome of delusion to think he would be of any interest to them or any top club in the world. You can quote any articles you want to, the media will spout nonsense at any turn, especially if it involved two of the biggest commercial clubs in the world so they can get as many clicks as possible.

If that's the reason United signed him to that ridiculous contract, then they are bigger fools than expected.

HowieC

The things you mention are all skills. Skills wich has to be coached and taught. Put an in form Rashford with quality players around him, and we will see a good player.
Imo, he´s just really bad coached. The players around him does not help the case in the slightest.
The core abilities of touch and ball control are innate and are almost fully formed by 18 or earlier. Other aspects of technique such as passing derive from that base of touch and control. Rashford's ability is just poor. Only marginal technical improvements are possible at his age.

As another poster pointed out, his level is ludicrously poor to the extent that he has to look down at the ball while running or it gets jumbled up at his feet.

Can you imagine him running the ball straight out of touch at the Nou Camp?

HowieC

Spanish papers reported from Barca point of view and it was from their source. They didn't mention any English paper.

You can search those reports.
Some critical thinking is required here. Even high level technicians often fail to make it at Barca due to their extremely high (less in recent years) technical demands.

Do you think Rashford's kick and run would be able to make it in the Nou Camp?

As another poster pointed out, those reports seem to be merely conjecture anyways.

roonster09

Scout
I can't believe there are some who still believe this nonsense of Barcelona being interested in Rashford at any point in his career. :houllier:

I mean, just think about it, what does Rashford bring to the table that Barcelona would ever be interested in, or could get somewhere else, especially for the price that was being quoted? It's the epitome of delusion to think he would be of any interest to them or any top club in the world. You can quote any articles you want to, the media will spout nonsense at any turn, especially if it involved two of the biggest commercial clubs in the world so they can get as many clicks as possible.

If that's the reason United signed him to that ridiculous contract, then they are bigger fools than expected.
:lol:

Clueless post as usual.

roonster09

Scout
Some critical thinking is required here. Even high level technicians often fail to make it at Barca due to their extremely high (less in recent years) technical demands.

Do you think Rashford's kick and run would be able to make it in the Nou Camp?

As another poster pointed out, those reports seem to be merely conjecture anyways.
Some common sense is needed too. Barca are not faultless in transfer market. Going by their signings in last few years its easy to believe they were interested.

Also just because you and bunch of others think he is kick and run merchant doesn't make him one.

roonster09

Scout
I suppose its one thing we'll never know unless Rashford writes a book. Those links you gave still are no where near conclusive. The el sport articles are very different when translated. In the Spanish version it says, "in our headline this Friday we open with the possibility that the number 9 that Barca could be looking for is Rashford". It's basically saying that el sport are reaching their own conclusions.

From mundo deportivo's own report it says "IF barca decide to go for rashford, coutinho could maybe be used as leverage."

It's the same at all top clubs. Top players are spoken about even if the clubs aren't interested as we've seen at United for years. Some of its true, some of it's for players trying to get a better contract and some of its utter bull. It's impossible to separate the chaff from the wheat.

Sorry I can't reply to any other posts. Being a newbie this is my last for today unless you can loan me a few more :rolleyes:
From the links i posted.
Another of the names that FC Barcelona has in its portfolio and that it likes a lot in the culé sports direction is that of Marcus Rashford , a 21-year-old striker who currently plays for Manchester United . The English player has won the game to Romelu Lukaku and is devoting himself as a reference of the 'Red Devils', with whom he has already scored ten goals in the 32 games in which he has participated so far during this campaign.

In Can Barça they are realistic and today they see it as a very complicated signing, because it does not have a clause of recision and the price would be marked by Manchester United . The spill of the operation, in case they agreed to negotiate, would exceed 100 million euros long.
Which makes it clear that Barca were interested but it was complicated to operation because of asking price. There are other links too which says Barca want him as a back up for 3 positions.

Of course not every report is true but this was in reply to someone said Spanish papers copied only English papers or the story was planted by his agent.

Also from the Sport link I posted.
The latest name which has come up at Barça as they look to overhaul their forward line is Marcus Rashford. The England international, currently at Manchester United, is a striker who is able to play anywhere across the front line and that's something which impresses Ernesto Valverde.
Barça have begun talks with United over a deal for Rashford as talks between the player and the English club have stalled in recent months. He ticks the boxes of what Barça are after. He's capable on either flank, dragging defenders out of position, but also with an eye for a goal and the workrate to get back and help in defence.
Not sure what conclusive evidence you are looking for when the article said Barca talked to ManUtd for Rashford.

FutbolFan

Supports
Chelsea
Is Martial fit enough now for Rashford to be rotated?

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
From the links i posted.

Which makes it clear that Barca were interested but it was complicated to operation because of asking price. There are other links too which says Barca want him as a back up for 3 positions.

Of course not every report is true but this was in reply to someone said Spanish papers copied only English papers or the story was planted by his agent.

Also from the Sport link I posted.

Not sure what conclusive evidence you are looking for when the article said Barca talked to ManUtd for Rashford.
Because I look more at the Spanish papers than I do the English translation. I'm not saying Barca weren't in for him but on the Spanish side it's all ifs, buts, maybes and club sources.

If you look closely enough at possible Barca targets it's impossible to say what's true.

https://www.besoccer.com/new/barca-considering-pound-60m-martial-move-412635

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/foo...nited-Victor-Lindelof-Barcelona-transfer-news

https://www.devonlive.com/sport/foo...arcelona-bid-manchester-uniteds-jesse-1703099

Last edited:

roonster09

Scout
Because I look more at the Spanish papers than I do the English translation. I'm not saying Barca weren't in for him but on the Spanish side it's all ifs, buts, maybes and club sources.

If you look closely enough at possible Barca targets it's impossible to say what's true.

https://www.besoccer.com/new/barca-considering-pound-60m-martial-move-412635

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/foo...nited-Victor-Lindelof-Barcelona-transfer-news
The post you quoted have report from Spanish papers which didn't use any ifs and buts. It even says Barca negotiated with Manutd for the player.

lsd

The Oracle

Imagine him pushing aside Messi to take a vital free kick in the last minute and sending it skywards

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Pardon my language.

"Makan noh ole, pas jose runner up aja gayanya sengak banget udah kayak barcelona, skrg udah merangkak di papan bawah bela2in ole, gemes gua lama"

:D for your eyes only
Siapa yg sengak kaya barcelona pas jose runner up?

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
His biggest problem is he just hasn't developed. He's no better now than he was when he burst onto the scene in 2016. No player should be the same level from 18-21, that's a big window for development.

HowieC

Some common sense is needed too. Barca are not faultless in transfer market. Going by their signings in last few years its easy to believe they were interested.

Also just because you and bunch of others think he is kick and run merchant doesn't make him one.
Coutinho is an extremely talented player. Dembele is a dangerous dribbler, ambidextrous and can sometimes destroy a defence on his own. His control cam be loose at times and his passing isnt the best.

These recent flops at Barca are miles beyond Rashford in the technical department.

Rashford has trouble running with the ball(hard to classify his kick and run as dribbling) without looking down. When he looks up he trips or the ball is funbled. His touch isnt great and he isnt good at receiving the ball in shooting positions which accounts for him getting tackled or losing the ball when taking an eternity to shift it to his right.

I really wonder what he is good at besides being fast. Maybe you could enlighten me.

I wonder why so many take umbrage over criticism of rashy. We all wanted him to succeed and hes a good guy. Hes just a bad footballer.

I see his career as being a downward trending sine curve, with perhaps a couple of good games a season where his fans would be saying “I told you so” and most mediocre but not as bad as he is now, and periods like hes playing now.

Sold or released by 25

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
His biggest problem is he just hasn't developed. He's no better now than he was when he burst onto the scene in 2016. No player should be the same level from 18-21, that's a big window for development.
Still as inconsistent as ever. In fact He was more clinical back then.

Luffy

Gomu Gomu
Coutinho is an extremely talented player. Dembele is a dangerous dribbler, ambidextrous and can sometimes destroy a defence on his own. His control cam be loose at times and his passing isnt the best.

These recent flops at Barca are miles beyond Rashford in the technical department.

Rashford has trouble running with the ball(hard to classify his kick and run as dribbling) without looking down. When he looks up he trips or the ball is funbled. His touch isnt great and he isnt good at receiving the ball in shooting positions which accounts for him getting tackled or losing the ball when taking an eternity to shift it to his right.

I really wonder what he is good at besides being fast. Maybe you could enlighten me.

I wonder why so many take umbrage over criticism of rashy. We all wanted him to succeed and hes a good guy. Hes just a bad footballer.

I see his career as being a downward trending sine curve, with perhaps a couple of good games a season where his fans would be saying “I told you so” and most mediocre but not as bad as he is now, and periods like hes playing now.

Sold or released by 25
You wrote what I believe and said it in a way that I was struggling to find. Long live new members.

DatIrishFella

Band of Brothers, Thief
He's awful. He'll soon be found out and sold. 200k a week for a mediocre player sums up just how shite this club is atm.