Rashford must be dropped!

17Larsson

Not a malefactor just a lagomorph
Is there any position he actually plays well at? He's rubbish at right wing, mediocre at the left and has absolutely zero striker's instincts to play up top. It's infuriating the number of times there are crosses played in and he's not even remotely close to the 6 yard box or anticpating a cross coming in.
That's what pisses me off the most.
If you're playing as a striker you need to be on the last man/in the six yard box when that cross comes in but he rarely is.
He has no strikers instinct at all.
How is Ole not teaching him that?

redshaw

Did well for the assist, that's kind of his game these days, not assisting goals as such but occupying defences and just being a body up front to pick the ball up. It's what Welbeck turned into.

I hate to mention Welbeck as Rashford was looking nothing like him in his first two years but now he's wilting in front of goal and just an okay person to have up there.

What's crazy is the amount we're allegedly paying him for this. He's getting wages for the striker attacking player he never turned into.

We have no one to drop him for though. Martial plays ahead of him and James was again the best player yesterday so I think Rashford is on the right. Doesn't seem as though Greenwood is ready and will take to the second half of the season to find his feet.

A Jan signing would help a lot.

Last edited:

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
He's been struggling for a while now. He never really seems fit but doesn't seem to have a specific injury, its bizarre.

I actually think he was hiding a bit tonight, whether it's due to no confidence or fitness levels or both, I'm not sure. When he's in with a chance on goal I don't even react at this point, he's unlikely to get a shot off let alone score.

I'd look to give him some time out of the side upon Martial's return.

Sparky Rhiwabon

We arent exactly stocked with options to be honest. However based on the last few weeks I don't see why Ole would start Rashford ahead of Greenwood. I think the team is more important than his reputation or ego. Besides, we could easily play Rashford as part of the attacking trio behind the CF given his confidence infront of goal looks shot.

It's really very strange. Most clubs play the inform striker up top. We continue to play the out of form one.
If only we'd just had a transfer window eh?

koop

I fancy Maguire upfront. Ya'll see that shot?

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
We should give him a rest, let Sanchez or Lukaku cover for him for a bit ... oh, hang on ... :rolleyes:

On a serious note, he should be dropped for a bit, something is clearly wrong. Physical or mental or both? I pray for Greenwood now because thanks to the stupid decision to let both Lukaku and Sanchez leave without replacement he is going to have to carry the goal expectations of this team more than he should.

Kostov

I think the question is if its fair to put in an 18 year old when there's so much negativity and pressure around the club.
Is it fair to a 18 year old highly competitive super talented striker to sit on the stands while a 3-4 years senior striker can't score a goal to save his life and still plays week in week out? I don't think so. I also think Rashford can benefit from a bit of time out to relieve the pressure from him.

meamth

I found it so ungrateful, unrealistic and pathetic when people talking like these about Rashford. And I see a lot of posters here seem to hate him.

He's having a bad run and suddenly he became shit. They seem to already forget the time he was our biggest hope and this very team, even under Mourinho was relying on him. Remember the last matches of the last Europa League for example? Or the first matches under Ole?

They seem to forget that this guy always run his socks off, give his all to the team. Always.

They seem to forget the amazing moments he gave us when he scored against Arsenal, City, Chelsea, Liverpool, Spurs.

They seem to forget he's currently evaluated at 80 £m by most transfer sites. Yeah he's a player at Championship level.

They seem to forget he was on a 25 £k a week deal while he was playing week in week out at the PL level, especially while some players like Sanchez or Lukaku was on ridiculous contracts doing and giving basically nothing.

They seem to forget that he is our only striker now and Greenwood, despite probably huge potential is only 17 and far from physically ready for the league. Especially speed.

This is pathetic.
I'm a very patient guy. Always believed in him.

But this year is different for him because he wears the no.10 and the main starting forward for Man Utd.

You don't have to remember the past to appreciate him, what matters is the future.

Right now it doesn't look good for Rashford, he needs someone else to score the goals. Not him.

RoyH1

And replace him with who exactly? Not replacing Sanchez and Lukaku is another one of Woodward/Ole's blunders. The striker cupboard is pretty bare.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
I found it so ungrateful, unrealistic and pathetic when people talking like these about Rashford. And I see a lot of posters here seem to hate him.

He's having a bad run and suddenly he became shit. They seem to already forget the time he was our biggest hope and this very team, even under Mourinho was relying on him. Remember the last matches of the last Europa League for example? Or the first matches under Ole?

They seem to forget that this guy always run his socks off, give his all to the team. Always.

They seem to forget the amazing moments he gave us when he scored against Arsenal, City, Chelsea, Liverpool, Spurs.

They seem to forget he's currently evaluated at 80 £m by most transfer sites. Yeah he's a player at Championship level.

They seem to forget he was on a 25 £k a week deal while he was playing week in week out at the PL level, especially while some players like Sanchez or Lukaku was on ridiculous contracts doing and giving basically nothing.

They seem to forget that he is our only striker now and Greenwood, despite probably huge potential is only 17 and far from physically ready for the league. Especially speed.

This is pathetic.
Easy there top red. I replied to a comment saying he stopped running lately and lately doesn't have the desire that he had before. Arguments to this are he's unfit (same reply for a while) and being run to the ground (true because of lack of cover).

My reply is completely logical to the related post and doesn't insinuate the latter posts' hate or shit or championship level player etc. whatever else you're claiming.

Withnail

I agree but if he’s getting dropped then JlingZ needs to be dropped also, I don’t know how this guy has blagged a career at United.
Well exactly. Drop Rashford for mythical experienced striker who doesn't bleedin exist.

This really should be a drop Young and Lingard thread. They are much more culpable for our poor performances. Was there an attacking move that went through Young that he didn't balls up?

settembrini

This stupid 'Rashford can constantly change between multiple attacking positions' idea needs to die. We've already done irreparable damage to his development by constantly shifting him between left wing and striker and last night we had him play both those positions plus the right as well.

I guess if the plan is to turn him into some sort of attacking version of O'Shea then good job United you are well on your way to doing so but why on earth would that be the plan in the first place?

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Like I said, anybody. Greenwood, somebody from the youth set up. I'd play Jones up top over him at this point.
He's nowhere near as bad as being made out.

Absolute shocking thread.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
This stupid 'Rashford can constantly change between multiple attacking positions' idea needs to die. We've already done irreparable damage to his development by constantly shifting him between left wing and striker and last night we had him play both those positions plus the right as well.

I guess if the plan is to turn him into some sort of attacking version of O'Shea then good job United you are well on your way to doing so but why on earth would that be the plan in the first place?
I dont think there's a plan,once a player is integrated into the first team squad.
Look at Axel last night for example. Why on earth was he playing the role of a left sided centre back in his first full PL game against Arsenal ?
Its stupid decisions like this that question whether the people coaching these players have any idea.

Oldyella

He plays up front for a team that creates no chances. I wouldn't say it has been a phenomenal opportunity up to now.
Some of that is down to him though. For all his running he's got terrible movement in the box. Whenever a ball is fizzed across the box he seems to be stood on his heels around the penalty spot.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.

This is pathetic.
You seems to forgot he is actually shit and rarely score goals. No one in this world, except Sanchez perhaps, get to paid a lot while playing like a headless chicken week in week out. He is never good or consistent anyway, just showing glimpse of talent occasionally, while being shit most of the time.

Chillosophy

Rashford isnt the biggest 'culprit' in this team. Lingard and to an extent Pereira is. And we have shite attacking fullbacks, particularly yesterday.

Volumiza

Rashford isnt the biggest 'culprit' in this team. Lingard and to an extent Pereira is.
Does it matter is he's the 'biggest' culprit? He is one of the problems. His job is to create goals for the team and score goals himself. He is doing very little of either. There are so many cuplrits in our club, top to bottom, it's is astonishing.

But somehow, next year, five years, ten years, who knows? We'll be back :)

MUFC OK

He needs completely taking out of the firing line, he needs resetting. He's still young for a striker and has shown he can do it but it's not working right now.

MUFC OK

And replace him with who exactly? Not replacing Sanchez and Lukaku is another one of Woodward/Ole's blunders. The striker cupboard is pretty bare.
This was negligent. they werent necessarily right for us but they are top players who have proven themselves. It reeks of Woodward trying to balance the books for the Glazers. The wool cant be pulled over our eyes on this one.

Chillosophy

Does it matter is he's the 'biggest' culprit? He is one of the problems. His job is to create goals for the team and score goals himself. He is doing very little of either. There are so many cuplrits in our club, top to bottom, it's is astonishing.

But somehow, next year, five years, ten years, who knows? We'll be back :)
I was referring to the "Rashford must be dropped!". For who exactly? Much rather drop Lingard and Pereira. Should play Pogba further forward instead of Messe and move Rashy back so he can utilize his pace (and play Greenwood at 9). Poor timing on that Tony-injury considering we were so dire even before it.

Withnail

This was negligent. they werent necessarily right for us but they are top players who have proven themselves. It reeks of Woodward trying to balance the books for the Glazers. The wool cant be pulled over our eyes on this one.
Did I read recently that the club were only in profit for the year due to the Lukaku money? This is the club gambling on getting to Jan with a threadbare squad, if so.

MUFC OK

Did I read recently that the club were only in profit for the year due to the Lukaku money? This is the club gambling on getting to Jan with a threadbare squad, if so.
Of course, and then you can bet your life we won;t reinvest £73m in Jan (quality not available). In fact the Lukaku money is probably our net spend for NEXT SUMMER.

I actually hope we are forced to appoint a top manager who will demand funds, the ex player sentimental appointment hasn't borne fruit. We need results now.

Ole90+3

Many more important issues to be addressed, however it's very clear that Rashford isn't, and may never be, ready to lead the line for United. He'll likely stay at the club for the foreseeable future as a first team attacker - primarily playing on the LW, filling in as ST when needed.

Volumiza

I was referring to the "Rashford must be dropped!". For who exactly? Much rather drop Lingard and Pereira. Should play Pogba further forward instead of Messe and move Rashy back so he can utilize his pace (and play Greenwood at 9). Poor timing on that Tony-injury considering we were so dire even before it.
Ok. It's a very poor situation to be in for a club of our size. Some very poor decisions have been made at all levels of the club. I'm surprised anyone though that Rashford and Martial could be relied on to provide enough goals seeing that neither had been anywhere near prolific beforehand.

iHicksy

Did well for the assist, that's kind of his game these days, not assisting goals as such but occupying defences and just being a body up front to pick the ball up. It's what Welbeck turned into.

I hate to mention Welbeck as Rashford was looking nothing like him in his first two years but now he's wilting in front of goal and just an okay person to have up there.

A Jan signing would help a lot.
You know what's really worrying is Welbeck for us was actually a much better striker than Rashford. Sure Welbeck had his bambi on ice moments and when he had too much time to think he could fluff 1v1s. But he also scored some great instinctual goals but more importantly his strength and holdup play and dribbling was actually far, far better than Rashford's. Which considering how Welbeck's career has gone is very, very depressing.

Zlatattack

I think we should try fitting random caf members into the team. Try it for a week at a time, see how it goes. I'd happily take 100k for 90 minutes of looking like i'm trying hard but not actually producing anything.

Chillosophy

Ok. It's a very poor situation to be in for a club of our size. Some very poor decisions have been made at all levels of the club. I'm surprised anyone though that Rashford and Martial could be relied on to provide enough goals seeing that neither had been anywhere near prolific beforehand.
I agree, it was doomed already during the summer as many other forumthreads points out. This time there wasnt even a "galactico"-type signing from Woodward to try to hide the fact our squad is still mostly filled with shite players.

Stookie

Nurse bell end
It was obvious that when Lukaku left we were going to be light up top. But which world class striker is going to want to come to this shit show?

Alabaster Codify7

I'm worrying about Rashford because Ole's insistency on playing him every single game is going to prove costly soon - I can see a long-term injury on the horizon. The issue is, Rashford and Lingard have become something of a public emblem of Ole's 'United Way' - one is young, British and a academy product, the other ticks 2/3 boxes. They're almost a symbol of what Ole is apparently trying to turn this team into, so he seems to feel he has to play tem every single game to prove he's sticking to his plan. That's my take on it anyway.

RedEM10

Sweaty Foot Monster
Never ever ever ever ever be a striker. He wants to play Striker apparently buy when he does he always wants to drop off to the edge or whatever for a shot, which leads to no one running across defenders for the balls James put in early on.

Withnail

Never ever ever ever ever be a striker. He wants to play Striker apparently buy when he does he always wants to drop off to the edge or whatever for a shot, which leads to no one running across defenders for the balls James put in early on.
Rashford has stated a couple of times in interviews that he doesn't see himself as a number 9. He's only put there by Ole because Martial isn't fit. Why do you think he wants to play striker?

Bearded One

I think he would be playing less as a number 9 if Martial was available. I may get pelters for this but if I may ask, did Alexis get enough games in the center forward position for us to make a valid judgement about him?