Rashford - New contract or sell?

What to do with Marcus Rashford...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Id give him one last chance under the next manager.

Doing himself no favours though with his off the pitch exploits. He should really just concentrate on his football.
There will be a new excuse out. Last year of contract, future ain't secured so the lad needs help blah blah.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Stock at an all time low. I'd rather wait and see if he can recapture his form under a new manager. If we were serious about a cultural reset and getting rid of all the high earners to start afresh with a sensible wage structure, I'd be fine with it. But as is, I think there's a host of players ahead of him in the out queue.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Neither.

We wouldn’t get the money for him due to the way he’s playing, and I still believe his form will return, at which point renew.

mikeyt

Rashford has been poor for nearly two years now but his recent form isn't just poor it's like watching an under 11s player against adults. There's poor and then there's Rashford's form over the last 6 months. He's lost the ability to control the ball, pass the ball or make any kind of good decision. Basically he runs at opposition players and gives it away. This isn't a recent thing for him, if we have any interest at £40-£50 million we should be selling regardless of who the new gaffer is.

elnorte

Freaky fly day
Neither.

We wouldn’t get the money for him due to the way he’s playing, and I still believe his form will return, at which point renew.
Highly improbable but even if it did to what level and to what end? It's certainly not going to come in the form of winning any trophies.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Similar to the Pogba thread. If it was your choice should we renew his 250k pw contract or look to sell?
A lot of fans seem split it would be interesting to see a poll added by a mod.
Sell Rash and let Pogba go. We should have sold Pogba a few years ago and got a committed DM in his place. We should do the same thing with Rashford. Sign a committed all action winger in his place for around the same wages he is on now. Chances are we just double down and give him a major new deal and try and wait it out with him for him to rediscover his form but on paper I really think we need to go a different route to stand off ish players like Pogba Greenwood Rashford and Martial. I think it’s been a major flaw in our recruitment and development.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
If the contract is based on performance bonus and isnt huge, then i would want Rashford to stay. There is a player in there but there is huge question mark on his attitude and motivation.

If he wants guarantees and large contract, then i wouldn’t mind letting him go.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Giving a new contract to a player in the worst form of his career and showing a poor attitude just sends a terrible message

Irwin99

Would be extremely surprised if he left but would not be disappointed. But let's have a look at United's striking situation:

Martial- might have a chance under a new manager but wants to leave and is liking the sunshine in Spain according to interviews
Greenwood-:nervous:
Cavani-Leaving
Ronaldo- Can't see him staying without top 4, would be astonished if he stuck around to play in the Eurpoa League
Rashford- absolutely dire form

I can't see all five of them going in one window. It would be unprecedented. Like it or not Rashford seems to be the safest bet to stay. Can see Martial staying too.

-Supreme-

We have got to be decisive this summer, can’t let him run his contract down as he will hold all the cards if he’s still here after the summer transfer window.

Tarrou

We should sell him but I’m not sure who would buy him on the last two years of form/injuries

Maybe Newcastle?

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Sell him to arsenal, he'd fit in there.

Question is can be con them again like we did with welbeck ?

led_scholes

Sell. We have a one year optional extension, but if we keep him next year,
a) even if he regains some form, he will not justify his current wages. Thus, next summer he will have one year left and high demands. No club will pay a fee when they know they can get him for free 12 months later, or no club will pay the fee we would like. We will be again in a Lingard situation.

B) most probably he will not regain his form, so he again no club would spend alot for him.
So no matter what his value is now, in both situations next year his value will be far lower.

redshaw

He has to show consistent performances before the club should entertain a new contract even on the same money let alone an increase. We've seen no evidence he can play well since being out.

It's a chance for the club to start acting serious and not let another contract get out of control. If this is his level now then I wouldn't renew for even 50k a week. It's ok for Rashford to say no one is more critical than himself and talk a good game of trying to improve but actions speak louder than words, we've seen no action. If he can't pick himself up under the new manager before Jan I'd be looking to sell. Really we need to let him go this summer if we want some dosh to reinvest.

A lot can depend on whether he can play really well to push Sancho to the right. If he can't sustain it well then any manager will want Sancho on the left. Rashford will no doubt sulk again and be almost doing protest performances on the pitch, non of that is good either party. His prior success on the left and England status will mean he has to look elsewhere, I don't think he wants to be a squad type player and is seeing his roles fade away but he has no-one to blame but himself.

Last edited:

hp88

He's contracted until 2024 so there should be no talk of offering him a new deal, if he wants to leave then cash in on him in summer, if he doesn't improve under a new manager then bin him off in January 2023.

foolsgold

Sell him to arsenal, he'd fit in there.

Question is can be con them again like we did with welbeck ?
Might have been funny 2 or 3 years ago, but right now Arsenal are well ahead of us and improving. Arteta is starting to deliver. He wouldn't get near their team.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Id offer him lower wages on a new deal

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
If the club wants to move to the right direction then it has to be sell. We can't keep giving players new contract especially big one if they don't deserve them. You look at other clubs who won trophies, lot of their players are on lower wages than Rashford.

InspiRED

Supports
Outraged snowflakes
100% sell. It’s bad enough the lack of effort and appalling form, but the pr sideshow is last thing club needs, to improve as a team at any rate, I’ll be delighted if he goes. Became a superstar thanks to Ole and a team of fiction writers. There’s dozens of players could replace him with same potential and likely hunger to make a career by being good at football not commandeering a load of media space.

Foxbatt

Sell him. The circus would never end otherwise. Let some other club deal with it.

Frank White

You can't justify paying a £50k a week player (and that's being fecking generous) £200k+ a week.

Not unless you want to be a joke club.

How the hell do we retain players like Sancho or Bruno, or sign new talents on manageable wages, if Rashford is sat earning more than them?
Sancho earns 350k a week and also cost 72m.

Would personally sell if the money was to be used properly and reinvested wisely which knowing United it won't but his form doesn't justify a new contract, at least a new and improved contract.

L1nk

If he's pulled his "considering his options" stunt just to get a new contract then absolutely sell. It's becoming a circus around him and for what? He puts no effort in on the pitch, get rid asap I'd say

MoskvaRed

Sell. Judging purely on football criteria and age, he is not good enough to play as a highly paid starter for a side with ambitions to win big prizes.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Highly improbable but even if it did to what level and to what end? It's certainly not going to come in the form of winning any trophies.
none of us can predict the future and know whether he’d win trophies, but I personally would keep him.

I don’t think it’s a surprise the standard of clubs that are mooted to be interested in taking him off us.

Id go if I was him, feck the fans that turned on him as soon as he started to play poorly.

If we have any kind of ambition then we will sell and buy a better player. It’s not just him though, it’s most of the team that apply’s too. There’s no room for sentiment if we want to be back on top.

Fitchett

Sell. It's time to send out the message that under performing players will be shipped out, not offered increased contracts, to "preserve their asset value".

Trequarista10

Pragmatically, part of me thinks it makes sense to keep him. Still young, resale value, local lad, academy product, has shown periods of quality before, somewhat versatile.

On the other hand, his form has been tragic for a while. His workrate seems appalling. Even if he recaptured his past form he's only a squad player for a truly top side. Possibly involved in dressing room leaks. Doesn't suit a lot of tactical roles. The team is so awful and in need of an overhaul that I'd rather give a new manager a clean slate to bring in their own players and clear out virtually all of the current batch of failures.

Status
Not open for further replies.