Rashford - New contract or sell?

What to do with Marcus Rashford...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chairman Steve

I feel like he’s turned into our Walcott and we run the risk of doing what Arsenal did and convince ourselves that ‘next year hell be better’ and ‘we should try him here’ and it goes back and forth, and then before you know it, he’s 28 and he’s the same player as he was at 22 and your peers have all overtaken you, with much better players that you could have bought.

In hindsight, I’m certain the gooners would have much preferred to have bought someone like Son for cheap back in 2015 than have persisted with Walcott.

Last edited:

romufc

I feel like he’s turned into our Walcott and we run the risk of doing what Arsenal did and convince ourselves that ‘next year hell be better’ and ‘we should try him here’ and it goes back and forth, and then before you know it, he’s 28 and he’s the same player as he was at 22 and your peers have all overtaken you, with much better players that you could have bought.
There is actually nothing wrong if he is the same player as he was at 22.

If a 28 year old is giving us stats like a 22 year old.

19/20 - 22 goals 12 assists
20/21 - 21 goals 15 assists

I'd 100% take that.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich

In hindsight, I’m certain the gooners would have much preferred to have bought someone Son for cheap than have peristed with Walcott.
From an outside perspective this is exactly what I think. I don’t think he’s good enough to be anything other than a Walcott type player for you- if you can raise £50m by selling Bissaka and and Rashford you absolutely should.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours

I'd 100% take that.
My lord what beautiful stats :(

edcunited1878

Quite revealing how in a recent match there was a ball to be in the penalty box for a relatively easy tap in but he just stood there, standing still. Chance list and we dropped points.
Another defining moment from this past season and since last season. Everyone had the same reaction of dumbfoundedness and quizzical look of how, why. He's truly switched off and it became a liability.

Needs the season to end asap and have time away to really find himself mentally and be true to himself about his football. Next year will be a defining year in his career, hope he prepares for it.

Utuhu

We should know how to move players on as at when due without any emotions attached. The culture of hanging unto some players who are no longer of immense value to us as a club should be eliminated.

He is an arrogant average player who thinks that he is untouchable irrespective of his embarrassing performances of late. His body language and lazy attitudes on the pitch especially during defensive transitions is enough red flag to move him on.

lex talionis

Another defining moment from this past season and since last season. Everyone had the same reaction of dumbfoundedness and quizzical look of how, why. He's truly switched off and it became a liability.

Needs the season to end asap and have time away to really find himself mentally and be true to himself about his football. Next year will be a defining year in his career, hope he prepares for it.
Does anyone remember the opponent and/or have a clip of that moment? It should be required viewing around the world by all United supporters as one of the defining moments -- if not THE defining moment of our malaise in the post-Ferguson era.

We all understand mistakes -- the Memphis Depay header back to De Gea that led to a damaging goal conceded or any number of missed chances last season (there was a Pogba missed glorious chance against Liverpool that was significant in that fixture) or mistakes by Maguire this season. But it's quite another thing to literally -- literally, "literally" -- stand still when a winnable ball was there to be won for a shot on goal in point blank range in a match when that goal was needed to secure points. We're too far adrift of fourth now to argue that that goal would have made the difference between fourth and sixth, but it was a moment when we all could see Rashford's head was not into the match, which has been the case the entire season.

Hopefully he can head his head back into football next season.

choccy77

I think if we were going to keep Rashford, your not looking at making that decision based on if he improves over a few weeks of preseason, Rashford came up got a few months under Van Gaal, then spent the next 5 years working under Mourinho (who has zero interest in developing players) and Ole ( who goeing by his stint isn't capable of developing first-team players). Rashford is never going to get those key years of development, we are now at the stage of what the best player he can be with a lowered ceiling, if Ten Hag comes in and Rashord shows he is ready to bust a gut trying to begin to catch up on the development he has missed then that's the best we can hope for this summer. We arnt going to see significant improvements in his decision making, positioning so expecting results on the pitch at that stage is not really on the cards.
You misunderstood re preseason.

Rashford has used not having any pre season this and previous year as an excuse why his form has been bad, along with bad back, bad shoulder, babysitting Jesse Lingard and also having to make the school dinners for everyone in the country each day (just kidding on that last one)

That's why I said, let him have a pre -season and full season to see if he can get back his form, or not etc

Alvaro Maestre

Last Man Standing 2 finalist 2023/24
We give players too many opportunities while other teams sell after 2 bad years. Rashford and Lingard should have been sold 2 years ago and help us with the rebuilt.

Caesar2290

Call me crazy, but I think the whole Lingard thing is what got him to his current self.

I've had my fair share of toxic relationships, and I can tell you that if you hang around with the wrong people you always looks lethargic, lack confidence and always tired.

Knowing how close Rashford and Lingard are I wouldn't put it down to the fact that Lingard is just being a very toxic about the way "the club is treating him" and that is affecting Rashford's performance. Also I imagine Marcus might disagree with how the club has treated Lingard, so he is probably going through a falling out of love phase.

Personally I don't see any other reason as to why Rashford turned to shit for a while now.

I also think that once Lingard will be gone and ETH will get his training methods tailored for him, we will see a slow rejuvenation. Oh, and some summer rest will definitely help.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
Played god knows how many games for us with a fractured back.

You're allowed a bad season. Let's show some faith in the guy.

Hammondo

I'd 100% take that.
Really doesn't give an accurate picture though.

Idxomer

Played god knows how many games for us with a fractured back.

You're allowed a bad season. Let's show some faith in the guy.
That injury was 2 and a half years ago and he never played with it.

Belisarius

If we can get 35m or higher we should definitely sell.

Between 20m and 35m I would still sell if only to send a message about lack of effort and professionalism.

Less than 20m then we're probably shooting ourselves in the foot to sell.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
You misunderstood re preseason.

Rashford has used not having any pre season this and previous year as an excuse why his form has been bad, along with bad back, bad shoulder, babysitting Jesse Lingard and also having to make the school dinners for everyone in the country each day (just kidding on that last one)

That's why I said, let him have a pre -season and full season to see if he can get back his form, or not etc
Fair enough. For me it’s down to weather he recognises that he is way behind in a develop and isn’t a young player any more and need to really put in the work now he has a coach who atcually has a history of developing players.
if he doesn’t recognise that then cash in if we can.

FerociousCorgis

If we can get 35m or higher we should definitely sell.

Between 20m and 35m I would still sell if only to send a message about lack of effort and professionalism.

Less than 20m then we're probably shooting ourselves in the foot to sell.
35 million for rashford would be pretty much giving him away in this market.

choccy77

Fair enough. For me it’s down to weather he recognises that he is way behind in a develop and isn’t a young player any more and need to really put in the work now he has a coach who atcually has a history of developing players.
if he doesn’t recognise that then cash in if we can.
I think with so many changes happening at the club, there will be a whole new level of professionalism throughout, which I hope will really make some players stand up and take the opportunities given

Nordmore

We're getting the stage with Rashford where I start thinking 'has any player ever come back after 2 full seasons of meh?'
I genuinely can't think of many. Especially players whose game was at least partly based on blistering pace.

It's so sad, because when he was at his best, people seem to have forgotten how skillful he was. He was able to play as a true winger, beating his man with skills and trickery. Now his worst enemy appears to be the byline :(
Yeah he was a fantastic player when he was at his best.

Most people have an impression that he's only fast but his passing and general gameplay is actually also pretty good. That's why he's consistently among the top assister at United, of course when he's still good. His one vs one was also very very good.

Problem is his body is no longer the same imo. He's played too many matches through injury and that's always really really destructive to the body. It's really sad but imo he's finished now and we should sell when the stake is still high.

Scholsey2004

Ive been a big fan but he looks like he's lost a bit of enthusiasm for the club, his form has been patchy for some time, we've got a lot of right footed left wingers and with his mate Lingard leaving in a huff it feels like the right time to part company. We create problems for ourselves by holding onto players too long. If Sancho is first choice left winger then Elanga is a perfectly good back up.

stw2022

In hindsight, I’m certain the gooners would have much preferred to have bought someone like Son for cheap back in 2015 than have persisted with Walcott.

Said this before but I know now people say that ironically about Lingard - “he’ll come good, just needs games, still a kid hahaha” - but we’re not that far removed from fans saying that about him without any sense of irony, sarcasm or humour whatsoever

Everyone who didn’t think Lingard would ‘come good’ up until 18 months ago was a Busby hating secret City fan and/or a plastic. It was only really once that sentiment became a meme that most gave up the ghost

Same will happen here. It’s like there’s Top Red points on offer for being the longest to hold out admitting an academy player isn’t going to live up to potential

Last edited:

Rayman96

Supports
Also supports Rangers
Seriously who advises this guy.

Hey Marcus, why dont you show your engagement by doing a photo shoot in a tacky Disney format. All your followers, especially the Utd fans will just love it.
It will really improve your image of being a man of the people and wont make you look like a faker who head is clearly up his own arse at all.

Honestly that is unbelievable :lol:

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Seriously who advises this guy.

Hey Marcus, why dont you show your engagement by doing a photo shoot in a tacky Disney format. All your followers, especially the Utd fans will just love it.
It will really improve your image of being a man of the people and wont make you look like a faker who head is clearly up his own arse at all.

Honestly that is unbelievable :lol:
You think he was advised on his personal proposal?
You're a bit broken mate. Its his personal life and every proposal is a personal, subjective matter too. He and his partner likes it, a congratulations is in order not a fecking review :lol:

Olecurls99

Yeah he was a fantastic player when he was at his best.

Most people have an impression that he's only fast but his passing and general gameplay is actually also pretty good. That's why he's consistently among the top assister at United, of course when he's still good. His one vs one was also very very good.

Problem is his body is no longer the same imo. He's played too many matches through injury and that's always really really destructive to the body. It's really sad but imo he's finished now and we should sell when the stake is still high.
Hopefully Teny can get this form out of Rashford again. Him at his best and Sancho could give defenses nightmares if they play to their ability.

Status
Not open for further replies.