Rashford - New contract or sell?

What to do with Marcus Rashford...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaos

There’s no way he’s world class.If he stays, hopefully he can be a useful squad player with better coaching and management.
Is it worth keeping him as a squad player considering his alleged propensity to leak things left right and centre to the press, often at the expense of the manager or his teammates? What happens if he doesn't establish himself as a starter and drops out of the England setup altogether? Do we genuinely expect him to quietly crack on and try to work himself back in the team? Because precedence has shown that what we get instead are leaked stories to the usual journalists about him being 'bemused' at lack of game time and how other players are supposedly confused as to why he's not playing.

We don't need that kind of presence in the dressing room. He's not good enough to carry that risk and I'd rather we just bin him off to give Ten Hag the best possible chance. We're gracefully freeing ourselves of the likes of Pogba and Lingard, why not complete the snakepit clearout?

facchiano

Marriage is a good thing. Hopefully it can force him to focus on his football and less on his fashion and clubbing/partying endeavours. He should also ditch this PR agency and remove his social media accounts.

Olecurls99

He has been poor for 2 years straight. Can you recall a player who after playing poorly for 2 years, made a comeback?
Genuine question.

This guy needs to be transfer listed and when he leaves, it'll send shockwaves through the dressing room. The players will understand that if they play poorly, they will be sold.

I don't care about his personal life - I judge him by what he does on the pitch, not what he does off it.
Jordan Henderson was bang average for about 8 years and then took off. I can't really think of somebody coming back from a big dip though

It definitely seems like an attitude problem with Rashford. Teny needs an inspirational Rocky speech and a couple of montages to get him going

Last edited:

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
For a start I said hypocrisy. Pay attention to detail.

Why didn't he post a normal photo announcing his engagement? Not spend a fortune for tacky sets and candles.

It's attention seeking of the highest order and I'd not like it from any player.
HOw Dare MArCUS GEt mARRiED hE neeDs tO CONceNTRaTE On foOTBAll

Frank Grimes

This thread seems more relevant than ever now. Surely United won't offer him a new contract before he regains his form? Giving the last 18 month Rashford a contract would be basically saying we don't care about football performances.

Suv666

Sell. We might struggle for a bit but better in the long run. Otherwise we'll be begging around Europe for someone to take him in a year or two like Bailly.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
A part of me wants to see how he does under Ten Hag but the next 12 months might not be that pretty and he's not the type of player to suddenly be inspired to run through a brick wall for the team on his own so..... Bye.

clarkydaz

This thread seems more relevant than ever now. Surely United won't offer him a new contract before he regains his form? Giving the last 18 month Rashford a contract would be basically saying we don't care about football performances.
we offered Pogba 300k a week to stay, he barely plays half a season

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Interesting stress test for the new hierarchy. Woody would have clung on until his value had plummeted and then let him go out on loan before getting desperate and offering him a whopper extension. Hopefully the new regime gets rid while he's still worth something.

Droid_Repairs

Cavani has gone, Ronaldo wants to leave and Eriksen was played out of position up-front on the first day.

If things are so desperate that United were close to signing Arnautovic, I'd say Rashford needs to stay - not to be used on the flanks but as a backup striker.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I wonder if the tweets from today about Garnacho have anything to do with this? Sounds like he'll definitely be getting his chances now this season. If he brings the same desire and beliefas he did Vs Rayo, he'll genuinely havea big chance of displacing Rashford, because he has the quality to go with it.

CloneMC16

I don't think Rashford will leave. I think he's doing what other players usually do to us. Using another club to get a better contract offer.

If he actually does have a desire to leave, I would sell him while we can. I don't think he's going to get back to the level he was at a couple years back. The main issue is, we're so light upfront. I don't trust the club to bring in a good replacement, but this is our best opportunity to sell him for a half decent price.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
I voted for the first time and to sell. His PR shenanigans, which by the way is super transparent, has pissed me off.

Worried the club will give him a better improved contract which is the most stupid thing we could do. Need to stop rewarding under performers. There's no reason for them to be motivated if we constantly give in to them.

clarkydaz

I voted for the first time and to sell. His PR shenanigans, which by the way is super transparent, has pissed me off.

Worried the club will give him a better improved contract which is the most stupid thing we could do. Need to stop rewarding under performers. There's no reason for them to be motivated if we constantly give in to them.
after first game of the season, here we go

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
after first game of the season, here we go
what do you mean? He's been PRing from last season. Nothing to do with the first game of this season.

clarkydaz

what do you mean? He's been PRing from last season. Nothing to do with the first game of this season.
point being this season was supposed to be a fresh start wasnt it, but here we are. As if the club havnt enough shit to deal with

LARulz

Depends on the offer.

I would sell him but I don't think we should sell him for what we would have to pay. I imagine if roles were reversed we'd be forking out over 70 million and it's not like PSG are skint

Chief123

I still think with the right manager he has a big chance of being world class, hopefully he stays and kicks on next season under Ten Hag
I would bet my house and family on him never ever becoming world class. The highest ceiling he has is just very useful. He’s never been world class even when he’s played well.

Water Melon

Do we believe that Rashford will become an elite attacker, capable of starting for City, Pool, Madrid or Bayern? If the answer is no, then sell him if decent amount is offered and re-invest wisely. I doubt that Marcus is irreplaceable.

mikeyt

Cavani has gone, Ronaldo wants to leave and Eriksen was played out of position up-front on the first day.

If things are so desperate that United were close to signing Arnautovic, I'd say Rashford needs to stay - not to be used on the flanks but as a backup striker.
While I agree it leaves us shorter on numbers, keeping players who are in poor form and then panicking into a new contract to protect their value is why we've ended up with so much dross that we can't shift.

Rashford may yet turn himself around on the pitch but imo he needs a change of scenery as I simply don't see him turning it around here, frankly I don't actually think he's a very good footballer. If PSG or anyone else are prepared to take his salary off our hands and give us £40-£50million we'd be mental to turn it down.

Ultimately if we don't sell him (if the opportunity presents itself) one of two things happens, he gets an even bigger contract that he doesn't deserve or he goes on a free. Neither of which we want to be doing.

Lee565

I don't see the panic in losing him this summer, honestly has elanga been any worse than him over the year, he can take over over from him in the team and wouldn't make no negative difference and we also garnacho.

If we cling to this massively overhyped player by raising his wage even further then a. It makes it harder for managers to bench him on those wages and b. If we up his wages and he continues to be a flop then good luck shifting him and we will carry on struggling shift players on for any half decent fee, let him go now even at 40 million.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
If he doesnt go this window then Hopefully this is the last season we see this complete fraud.

Ceeps

Sell, what’s the point in holding onto him, marketing would likely be the only reason and that values likely to fall of a cliff as quickly as his absolutely awful performances have. We need a reboot and that involves clearing out most of the team, deadwood, especially ,so when we can sell them for decent money. Does anyone confidently believe there’s going to be some Lazarus style resurrection of a once decent footballer here? Leaves us short yes, but only in terms of bodies, certainly not as much in ability.

paulscholes18

Should cash in, he's on big wages and is a worse player now than he was when he first broke into the team under LVG. Unfortunately the club don't want to lose him and Ten Hag would probably want to replace him with Bernardeschi.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
You’re spot on but sadly this is exactly how we’ve operated time and again at this club. Undeserved wages and renewals for mediocre and/or inconsistent performances.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
It warms my heart to see so many people have seen through this fraud's veil of PR.

I would love it if we sold him or even better, just didn't offer him a new deal. MInd you, if he goes to PSG, he can also ruin their chances of winning the CL (again) from the inside this time.

cyberman

You’re spot on but sadly this is exactly how we’ve operated time and again at this club. Undeserved wages and renewals for mediocre and/or inconsistent performances.
He might be underperforming but he’s still a major asset that would command high fees in the market.

Status
Not open for further replies.