Rashford - New contract or sell?

What to do with Marcus Rashford...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

spe88

Okay. Lets assume he wont accept 120k a week because that seems likely since he is on higher wages now. Rashford leaves on a free.

Manchester United needs to replace Rashford. Players who are at Rashford his level are costing atleast 40m i would imagine. Certainly if Manchester United is interested in that player. Gakpo would be an excellent replacement since he fills in the same role at LW and CF and he will cost even likely will cost even more than 40m. Will Gakpo accept 120k a week or is he deserving of more? Im not even sure if Gakpo is better than Rashford.

Rashford might not be a world class player but he has specific qualities that make him very good in certain tactics (speed and decent finishing in counter mostly) and he is a good enough player in a non-counter tactic. He certainly is better than just a ''decent squad option'' like he is some John O'Shea.
I think that’s why we need to be decisive this summer and don’t make mistakes of the past. If he isn’t interested in a pay cut he should be placed on the transfer list

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Chill out guys a few scruffy goals versus a shite goalkeeper and a Championship level team is not worth the hype. Even average players like Kramaric and Enner Valencia bagged a brace at this World Cup. Did he play well apart from the goals?
This is called doubling down. When one has gone so far in their criticism and there's no way back. Hahahaha.

You could make that arguement about some of Mbappe's goals. The one off his hip was hardly goal of the year contender or great defending either. Another one deflected in off a defender's ankle.

Rashford was always going to rediscover his goalscoring form and you nitwits are looking silly now.

Todd

He is looking a threat and scoring goals regularly and people are still complaining.

As it stands today he is our greatest scoring threat in the squad and he should be given a new contract for sure.

Frank Grimes

He is looking a threat and scoring goals regularly and people are still complaining.

As it stands today he is our greatest scoring threat in the squad and he should be given a new contract for sure.
1 league goal in 3 months is not scoring regularly.
Personally I feel Garnacho is twice the player and its only matter of time before that becomes obvious to all at the club.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Personally I feel Garnacho is twice the player and its only matter of time before that becomes obvious to all at the club.
Twice the player already? He's scored 1 league goal in his career. Hahahaha.

Potential is huge but let's not go overboard....oh wait you already did.

There's definitely some Tories among us on here. The hatred towards Rashford really ramped up with him helping out the less fortunate.

Frank White

Twice the player already? He's scored 1 league goal in his career. Hahahaha.

Potential is huge but let's not go overboard....oh wait you already did.

There's definitely some Tories among us on here. The hatred towards Rashford really ramped up with him helping out the less fortunate.
Wish we'd stop with this, they don't have to be Tories to be against giving him a fat new contract coming off of a really bad last year. I love Rashford but fact is he was terrible last year (wasn't alone mind) so you surely can understand why people are apprehensive? Now this doesn't apply to certain posters, we all know who.

As for the Garnacho call that is just ridiculous tbh.

Swiss_Red89

It would be interesting if the vote would start today again. I assume the 85% that want him sold would go down quite a lot.

Pronewbie

Peep
I'd still sell since his stock has risen. He's easily countered at elite level, but appears world class against fodder or teams that give him space to run in behind.

Swiss_Red89

Chill out guys a few scruffy goals versus a shite goalkeeper and a Championship level team is not worth the hype. Even average players like Kramaric and Enner Valencia bagged a brace at this World Cup. Did he play well apart from the goals?
Always excuses from guys like you when he scores. When he scores in the big games: "yes but he is clueless vs the smaller teams who park the bus.".

When he scores vs them at the worldcup, then they are shite and the goals are worth nothing.

Frank Grimes

I'd still sell since his stock has risen. He's easily countered at elite level, but appears world class against fodder or teams that give him space to run in behind.
Exactly, now is the perfect time with the emergence of Garnacho. My great fear is he keeps the young Argentine out of the squad undeservedly and he decides to go to Spain.

Frank Grimes

Always excuses from guys like you when he scores. When he scores in the big games: "yes but he is clueless vs the smaller teams who park the bus.".

When he scores vs them at the worldcup, then they are shite and the goals are worth nothing.
I never said they're worth nothing just that use his Utd form to assess him. He has scored 1 poxy league goal since the start of September. That's all I care about. Harry Maguire plays well for England against some rinky dink teams like Wales and Iran, the doesn't mean I want him starting ahead of Varane.

Last edited:
He has scored 1 poxy league goal since the start of September. That's all I care about.
Another lie Frank.

We played Arsenal on 4th Sept, he scored two that day & had an assist.

Actually on the subject of Arsenal, their main centre forward has just two league goals since the start of September (that’s an actual fact mind, not a Grimes made up one), Rashford’s outscored him in that time.

Son has as many as Rashford since the start of September though Rashford leads him for the season, all three came in one game mind.

Is this proof all these players are good enough :confused:

Last edited:

Threesus

Can we all agree to give this thread a rest. Let’s evaluate at the end of the season.

Hopefully Sancho remembers he is a footballer so that we can be in a better place if something changes with respect to rashford.

Frank White

Exactly, now is the perfect time with the emergence of Garnacho. My great fear is he keeps the young Argentine out of the squad undeservedly and he decides to go to Spain.
What about ETH has said that he's unwilling to bench someone off of reputation? If Rashford does displace Garnacho then it won't be because he's playing because he's Marcus Rashford.

Even then your logic behind selling him is questionable at best. Say we sell Rashford for what 40/50m? We'll be left with Elanga who many don't rate, Sancho who has yet to do anything here in 18 months, Martial who's injury record is iffy and even then has been MIA for about the same time as Rashford, Antony who tbf has been fine and then Garnacho.

If anything we need more options opposed to sellong off players who, fingers crossed look like they've turned a corner. Hopefully with more coaching from a proper manager Rashford can finally find some consistency.

Frank Grimes

Another lie Frank.

We played Arsenal on 4th Sept, he scored two that day & had an assist.

Actually on the subject of Arsenal, their main centre forward has just two league goals since the start of September (that’s an actual fact mind, not a Grimes made up one), Rashford’s outscored him in that time.

Son has as many as Rashford since the start of September though Rashford leads him for the season, all three came in one game mind.

Is this proof all these players are good enough :confused:
I'd take Jesus over Rashford every day of the week and twice on a Sunday if he never scored a goal between now and the end of the season. Much better player, you have to really not understand what you're watching to think otherwise in my opinion.
Also I consider the first week of a month the start of a month ( as opposed to the middle or end). Can't see why you would make an issue of this.

Todd

He's our leading scorer in the league, and our leading scorer in the Europa. As far as our squad goes across all competitions, he's scoring more regularly than anybody.

You can argue that this is testament to how futile our attack has been, but I don't think you can single him out as a problem when he's contributing as much or more than anyone (11 total goals/assists if I counted right). Our total goals scored number is abysmal and we absolutely need to bring in a striker in January if we have any dreams of top 4, I wouldn't argue with you on that point.

I'm not saying the lad deserves Neymar money, but at worst he'll be a valuable attacking option to rotate in the coming seasons. I'm all for seeing Garnacho continue to impress and become a star.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
He will never leave United unless if he asked for it himself or if he becomes really bad (Lingard level). He is the poster boy of United academy.
So I really hope he's turned it around and get back to his best.

SWE-Chucky

Supports
AIK Stockholm
Re-sign a new 6 years contract;
- Give him the 7 - He stands for much what Manchester United stands for
- His 10 comes to the world class striker our new owners are buying summer 2023
- Eventually make him captain after Bruno

He had a bad season last year, his season for the last one was probably one of his best, then all suddenly he became the face for the fight against covid-19, the face to organize food and water and even a place to sleep for homeless and family´s with bad economics.

After all this, every Englishman loved him and saw him as role model for the young people in England (you could say that he got recognized all over the world for a while....

He was on the top of world, everything went his way, at a age of 22-23 years old. What he probably dreamed about since he was 4-5 y old was suddenly right in front of him - Euros 2020 in England - where he was the hero and biggest biggest name. His biggest dream ended up with it becoming his nightmare. The lightning was still on him, as well as the paparazzis and all newspapers in the world.
But this time they came to blame a young man that had so much on his shoulders already that he couldn't handle more, that penalty miss ruing the next season for him, and we was not longer the Hero in England.

I was pretty sure that he had enough of England after this last season and that he con cindered the move to PSG (also Real Madrid and Barcelona would be a option for him, but the Mbappe situation had RM and PSG busy all summer, and Barcelona didn't know hoe much they could spend).
I also believe or more likely know that the real Manchester United supporter wanted Marcus to stay and he felt the support from our fans.
And that combined with a new trainer that loves and he seems to like the play we play right now. I still believe that Marcus Rashford belongs to here and that 9t hopefully be his one and only professional club that he plays for - so the new generation growing up with todays United can feel the feeling we had during the 1990-2013. Sorry this got a little bit to long but i just hope he keeps playing his game and score more goals and stays here for ever!

maverickjesus

Replace a 25 year old with a 33 year old.

Glad you're not in charge.
Being 25 instead of 33 doesn't matter if he's shite. Plenty of great players doing the business well into their thirties.

We should do more in this space really. Phil Jagielka would be excellent centre back depth, for example.

EasyE

Being 25 instead of 33 doesn't matter if he's shite. Plenty of great players doing the business well into their thirties.

We should do more in this space really. Phil Jagielka would be excellent centre back depth, for example.
Funniest thing I've read all week.

Swiss_Red89

I never said they're worth nothing just that use his Utd form to assess him. He has scored 1 poxy league goal since the start of September. That's all I care about. Harry Maguire plays well for England against some risky dink teams like Wales and Iran, the doesn't mean I want him starting ahead of Varane.
"He has scored 1 league goal since the start of september."
It's not even true. He has 3 since start of September. (2x Arsenal, 1x West Ham) But anyway, what kind of argument is that? Is there some contest going on in your mind about who has scored how many since start of september?

If you focus that much on goal stats, you should care more about goals in total. He has 4 in the PL in total, most of the whole squad.

In total he has 8 goals this season. Also most of the whole squad.

He has also scored 3 at the worldcup to remind you. No one has more so far.

Last edited:

noodlehair

"It's like..."
This thread might just be the most perfect example yet of why its impossible to take this forum seriously.

Well I mean apart from that one from years back where people were convinced Rooney was secretly picking the starting line ups.

Although actually this one might even be worse than that. Imagine the mess we'd be in now if we'd "cashed in" on Rashford. This place really is genuinely astoundingly dumb at times.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
This thread might just be the most perfect example yet of why its impossible to take this forum seriously.

Well I mean apart from that one from years back where people were convinced Rooney was secretly picking the starting line ups.

Although actually this one might even be worse than that. Imagine the mess we'd be in now if we'd "cashed in" on Rashford. This place really is genuinely astoundingly dumb at times.
For others, please replace dumb with 'opinion I disagree with and have not got the mental capacity to engage with, so I need to make myself sound like some intelligence edgelord'.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
His form says he deserves a new contract. Ain’t it funny how many people have changed the tune about him. A few months ago people wanted us to sell him. I always knew once he got over his injury fully and under a decent manager like Ten Hag he would thrive.

Posh Red

For others, please replace dumb with 'opinion I disagree with and have not got the mental capacity to engage with, so I need to make myself sound like some intelligence edgelord'.
It is a very daft opinion though, and one that I’m sure our new manager would be massively against. The manager that appears to be getting all of the big decisions right at the moment.

jackal&hyde

His form says he deserves a new contract. Ain’t it funny how many people have changed the tune about him. A few months ago people wanted us to sell him. I always knew once he got over his injury fully and under a decent manager like Ten Hag he would thrive.
He thrived under Ole too, had his best season to date under him; same as Martial.

The issue was the injury and I suspect some personal situation. Crazy how cutthroat people are after a few months to a year with a player that was decent to good for a long time. 85% want him gone...jeez louise

noodlehair

"It's like..."
85% of people wanted us to sell Rashford, despite knowing Ronaldo wanted to leave, having no idea if Martial would return or be of any use at all, and without knowing we'd sign Antony and be able to call on Garnacho.

Considering that Rashford was (very obviously) going to be of vital importance this season even with all of the above applying, I actually think "astoundingly dumb" is quite apt.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but as this thread demonstrates, its sometimes quite important to recognise when an opinion is a stupid one, and not act on it....and as this thread also demonstrates, apparently 85% of the people who posted in it at the time, wouldnt have been able to do that.

This is one of those threads opposition fans look at and are flabbergasted by. Not just that united fans would be so weirdly hostile to their own players, but more so this arrogant assumption that we could just flog off our main goalscorer and easily replace them with someone significantly better, when we can't even offer CL football and there isn't even anyone realistic available. It's the thinking/logic of someone who lives in a reality where doughnuts rain from the sky on demand and you can make 2+2 = the metric mass of the sun

jackal&hyde

85% of people wanted us to sell Rashford, despite knowing Ronaldo wanted to leave, having no idea if Martial would return or be of any use at all, and without knowing we'd sign Antony and be able to call on Garnacho.

Considering that Rashford was (very obviously) going to be of vital importance this season even with all of the above applying, I actually think "astoundingly dumb" is quite apt.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but as this thread demonstrates, its sometimes quite important to recognise when an opinion is a stupid one, and not act on it....and as this thread also demonstrates, apparently 85% of the people who posted in it at the time, wouldnt have been able to do that.

This is one of those threads opposition fans look at and are flabbergasted by. Not just that united fans would be so weirdly hostile to their own players, but more so this arrogant assumption that we could just flog off our main goalscorer and easily replace them with someone significantly better when we can't even offer CL football and there isn't even anyone realistic available.
We are in a time I think where if almost any player has 6 to 18 months of poor form/ displays he is considered finished/ was never good/ etc, regardless of any situation. Football fans, like me too, were never patient or known for having a longer term view, but now days this has been taken to much higher level.

YSB99

Supports
Machester United FC
We are in a time I think where if almost any player has 6 to 18 months of poor form/ displays he is considered finished/ was never good/ etc, regardless of any situation. Football fans, like me too, were never patient or known for having a longer term view, but now days this has been taken to much higher level.
Sorry but 18 months of poor form shouldn’t be accepted at a team like United,

he hasn’t pulled the wool over my eyes anyway and hopefully he’s out the door in the summer,

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I can understand that part though and it has always been the case. If you're shite for 5 games it doesn't even matter if you're still a teenager, fans will still write you off.

And we still have this English thing of building players up too much, then labelling them as rubbish or useless if they don't meet the unrealistically high expectations set. Instead of just accepting maybe they won't be quite as good as hoped but are still actually pretty decent.

Hence why most of redcafe spent most of the time Rooney was at United, accusing him of being shite and wanting us to replace him with x or y player.

What I don't get in this instance though is the full down in basic logic. I.e. that selling your most consistent goalscorer of the last 3-5 years, at the same time as your current top goalscorer is nearly 40 years old and doesn't want to play for you, and when you already dont havd ebough players who score goals, just isn't a smart thing at all to do, and in fact would create a bit of a self made crisis.

Similar for example to how if you had 3 pairs of walking shoes, and two pairs had massive holes in them, and you had a long hiking expedition coming up, you wouldn't chuck the third pair in the bin the night before, after all the shops are closed, just because you suddenly didn't like them anymore. Or at least if you did do that, people would be quite entitled to point out that you're an idiot.

jackal&hyde

I can understand that part though and it has always been the case. If you're shite for 5 games it doesn't even matter if you're still a teenager, fans will still write you off.

And we still have this English thing of building players up too much, then labelling them as rubbish or useless if they don't meet the unrealistically high expectations set. Instead of just accepting maybe they won't be quite as good as hoped but are still actually pretty decent.

Hence why most of redcafe spent most of the time Rooney was at United, accusing him of being shite and wanting us to replace him with x or y player.

What I don't get in this instance though is the full down in basic logic. I.e. that selling your most consistent goalscorer of the last 3-5 years, at the same time as your current top goalscorer is nearly 40 years old and doesn't want to play for you, and when you already dont havd ebough players who score goals, just isn't a smart thing at all to do, and in fact would create a bit of a self made crisis.

Similar for example to how if you had 3 pairs of walking shoes, and two pairs had massive holes in them, and you had a long hiking expedition coming up, you wouldn't chuck the third pair in the bin the night before, after all the shops are closed, just because you suddenly didn't like them anymore. Or at least if you did do that, people would be quite entitled to point out that you're an idiot.
I actually laughed out loud at the shoes metaphor :lol:

I think the answer to your question, so to speak, is the same as to why fans are so fast to write players off. There simply is a lack of actual reason. No actual thinking was happening when writing a very young player off, or one that had a nr of good seasons but now is off form (like Rashford) or indeed like what the hell do you actually do if you sell everyone and then have games to play.

Fans "think" with emotions a lot IMO and, that's ok; not smart, but ok. It's just super funny to see the results of this thread though...85% sell :lol:

EDIT: The part about the English players is true but incomplete. The one thing I will give United fans is that they are not Nationalistic. They will kill any player regardless of place of birth. Rashford does not take it any harder then Martial, or Dalot, or even young Amad that had 30 mins of pro football when he came here. Bruno was and is a phenomenon since he signed and he has threads that he is not good enough :lol: . United fans might have a lot of issues, but they are Universal in both hate and praise. We are progressive like that :angel:

Last edited:

Irwin99

Regarding the 85%, I think it's easy to criticize those who got fed up of him last season but even the season before that his goals masked some seriously dire performances and workrate and I always insisted he looked fecking injured for the majority of the time.

All players go through rough patches, you only have to think of Giggs in 2002-03 or in 2007-08 or Rooney in early 2010 but geez, that was a LONG period of bad form for Rashford where he didn't even looked arsed half the time last season. In this instance I can't blame fans for losing patience.

Status
Not open for further replies.