What to do with Marcus Rashford...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I see we still have lots of doubters on here.

Just imagine where we'd be this season without Rashy. He's literally the only attacker that has come to the party. I made a comment the other day that ETH would be hanging onto his job without Rashy and it was scoffed at. But it's actually true. Martial hasn't been fit, Weghorst hasn't worked out and Antony has been average at very best. Without Rashford finding his form again we'd not even be in the top 6 let alone top 3.

He won't be leaving anyway. He's our best attacker by a million miles and he's a red through and through.
Apart from when he's sat on the bench and PSG come knocking? Or was he just pretending to want out to strong arm us into playing him more? Never judge a personality when they're on top and all is well. It's how they react when it's not going well, and we all saw how that played out last season.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Apart from when he's sat on the bench and PSG come knocking? Or was he just pretending to want out to strong arm us into playing him more? Never judge a personality when they're on top and all is well. It's how they react when it's not going well, and we all saw how that played out last season.
You're exactly who I was referring to. Clearly you don't like the guy and hold this against him despite the fact we don't even know it's true. The press make up 95% of the stuff about this club after all.

Where would we be this season without his form? In the mud.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
You're exactly who I was referring to. Clearly you don't like the guy and hold this against him despite the fact we don't even know it's true. The press make up 95% of the stuff about this club after all.

Where would we be this season without his form? In the mud.
I don't like him. And I don't get how so many can quickly forget last season. It's pointless discussing football on here because people change their opinion like the wind. The majority wanted him out last season after his disgraceful behaviour and performances. His attitude on the pitch was rotten, I think you've just forgot the feeling at that time of watching him. I don't forget, but it's your problem if you do. To me, he's just a guy that plays for the club I support now. I have no loyalty to him and I reckon I've seen enough of his character on the pitch over the last however many years to know what he's about. He acts great if things are going well, he's a spoilt brat otherwise.

Let's see how he reacts when he's in a bad patch again.

Yes we would be stuck without his goals this season. He's having one of those seasons where everything he hits is flying in. In terms of goals he is obviously doing well.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
I don't like him. And I don't get how so many can quickly forget last season. It's pointless discussing football on here because people change their opinion like the wind. The majority wanted him out last season after his disgraceful behaviour and performances. His attitude on the pitch was rotten, I think you've just forgot the feeling at that time of watching him. I don't forget, but it's your problem if you do. To me, he's just a guy that plays for the club I support now. I have no loyalty to him and I reckon I've seen enough of his character on the pitch over the last however many years to know what he's about. He acts great if things are going well, he's a spoilt brat otherwise.

The whole season was rotten for EVERYONE. How many times does this need explaining? It was a car wreck. It was an utter disaster. The season before he got 35 goals and assists combined and obviously this season he's already bettered that. His stats are very good for someone who isn't an out and out striker.

Such a weird hate you lot have for him. If you can't see he's not the best attacker we have at this club then maybe Rugby or Golf might be worthwhile taking up.

Then again you were probably one of the ones saying that Sancho was going to come in and show him up. Didn't happen did it?

Rashford is the best we have whether you like it or not. He ain't leaving either.

Weird fanbase we have. It must be killing you when he scores every week.

Strelok

Yes we would be stuck without his goals this season. He's having one of those seasons where everything he hits is flying in. In terms of goals he is obviously doing well.
Most fans didn't like him last year because he was shit. So it's logical for people to like him this year because he's doing great now. That's how being a fan works. You simply don't like him. And tbh I don't get how our own fans don't like or hate Rashford.

Tbf people like you is the reason why if Rashford leave we shouln't blame him.

Eddy_JukeZ

Saka just got 300k and is 4 years younger. Rashford is worth no more than that. As great as Rashford has been this season, the issue has always been consistency. Great one season, mediocre the next. This is just one season of greatness. He needs to confirn that he is on a new level by dragging us over the line the rest of this season AND putting together another 25+ goal season next year. Otherwise, he is no different to the other pretenders to the winger throne.
He was great in 19-20, 20-21 and now this season. That's 3 great seasons.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

Weird fanbase we have. It must be killing you when he scores every week.
Tbf people like you is the reason why if Rashford leave we shouln't blame him.
I hope pocco isn't a season ticket holder, just for the sanity of matchgoing fans. Imagine being the poor sod sat near him every week. "BOOO!", he shouts, as Rashford celebrates scoring his 27th goal of the season, "I won't forget how shit you were last season!"

Frank White

Not being funny but it's clearly not just about football for you, looking at your post history there's something deeper than that when it comes to Rashford. The fact you're trying to hide behind the guise of his bad season last season to hate him forever is just pathetic tbh.

Brightonian

This 'most fans didn't like him last season' thing is insane. Speak for yourself. Not one United fan I know in real life would agree with that.

Like pretty much everyone, he played badly last season. But I've always been a fan of his, keen for him to succeed as a talented homegrown player, and believed that he had the capacity to fulfil that talent as he had started to before suffering a serious - and then compounded - back injury. Two seasons of struggle after an injury like that isn't at all unusual. Many top-level players - especially if their game relies on pace - never really recover from a back injury.

The fact that this thread even exists demonstrates the huge difference between United fans in real life and the strange subculture of the Caf. Yes, we're all 'fans in real life' too but ask the away game regulars or a crowd of United fans watching a game in a pub if they thing we should sell Rashford this summer and they'd laugh you out of the room.

glasgow 21

Not being funny but it's clearly not just about football for you, looking at your post history there's something deeper than that when it comes to Rashford. The fact you're trying to hide behind the guise of his bad season last season to hate him forever is just pathetic tbh.
Correct , and "Pocco" is totally disregarding that Rashford was carry the shoulder injury previous season and played with it and had the operation so last season would have been the recovery resulting in the dip coupled with the all round poor performances for the whole team. It is a fact that the analysis of Rashford poor season last year can be laid at the door of just about every player and not him alone. I fine it hard to accept that some are suggesting this year is an anomaly for Rashford when its clear to see Ten Hag has most everyone turning out better performances.

Reactions: oates

Strelok

This 'most fans didn't like him last season' thing is insane. Speak for yourself. Not one United fan I know in real life would agree with that.
My bad. I should have said 'some fans' instead. I'm a big fan of Rashford btw. Still remember his debuts and imo he's a very humble down to earth fantastic lad. Tbh I always find it so weird how some of our own fans seem to really hate him.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude

Like pretty much everyone, he played badly last season. But I've always been a fan of his, keen for him to succeed as a talented homegrown player, and believed that he had the capacity to fulfil that talent as he had started to before suffering a serious - and then compounded - back injury. Two seasons of struggle after an injury like that isn't at all unusual. Many top-level players - especially if their game relies on pace - never really recover from a back injury.

The fact that this thread even exists demonstrates the huge difference between United fans in real life and the strange subculture of the Caf. Yes, we're all 'fans in real life' too but ask the away game regulars or a crowd of United fans watching a game in a pub if they thing we should sell Rashford this summer and they'd laugh you out of the room.
Nah if you asked away fans last summer there would be a good chunk of people who would want to sell Rashford and there were plenty of reasons at the time as to why. He had been poor for almost two years, was playing through injury, had a back problem, contract running down, part of the worst performing united team in pl history, barely giving any effort on the pitch. United fans will be happy he has turned it around and is having a fantastic season but last summer was not this summer where we will do everything to tie him down long term.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

Nah if you asked away fans last summer there would be a good chunk of people who would want to sell Rashford and there were plenty of reasons at the time as to why. He had been poor for almost two years, was playing through injury, had a back problem, contract running down, part of the worst performing united team in pl history, barely giving any effort on the pitch. United fans will be happy he has turned it around and is having a fantastic season but last summer was not this summer where we will do everything to tie him down long term.
Most fans where I sit in the stadium were bemoaning the lack of tactics/an actual gameplan rather than specifically digging out players. I was in the away end at Brighton watching Varane drop a comically bad performance as we were torn apart 4-0. Nobody was saying "we should sell Varane because he's part of the worst United team in Premier League history". It was more along the lines of "jesus, Rangnick has turned us into a laughing stock".

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Most fans where I sit in the stadium were bemoaning the lack of tactics/an actual gameplan rather than specifically digging out players. I was in the away end at Brighton watching Varane drop a comically bad performance as we were torn apart 4-0. Nobody was saying "we should sell Varane because he's part of the worst United team in Premier League history". It was more along the lines of "jesus, Rangnick has turned us into a laughing stock".
We were a laughing stock well before Ralf. His first couple months were actually a slight improvement before we went out of the europa and the players downed tools.

As for your Varane example plenty of people were worried about Varane; his poor play and injury record and felt we needed another center back. Also varane is also less of a sellable asset than Rashford.

roseguy64

I think it was more than a season. He was poor second half of 20/21. Awful all last season. Average this season until the world cup.

That's two years of rubbish/average.

But you're right, he does usually end up with a good amount of goals and there is a lack of players who do so in football right now.

So yeah he should be paid well, should be up there as the best paid at our club. But in negotiations we'll hopefully remember his transfer value will be inflated way above his actual ability. More likely is us giving him whatever he wants though.
Rashford was not average pre-World Cup or Southgate wouldn't have picked him having dropped him for poor form previously.

TheReligion

Abusive

It’s also pointless discussing anything with people who are that entrenched in their opinions and agenda they fail to view things any other way.

People can and should change their mind on things. If they didn’t we’d live in a strange world.

Marwood

Rashford was not average pre-World Cup or Southgate wouldn't have picked him having dropped him for poor form previously.
So being selected for an international squad by Gareth Southgate automatically means you're performances are above average? Even if you barely got a kick in the actual tournament.

I think I'll go off what I watched week in week out. He was average. His goal return poor.

No big deal as he's completely turned it around second half of season.

But it's enough for me to still question his consistency.

TheReligion

Abusive
So being selected for an international squad by Gareth Southgate automatically means you're performances are above average? Even if you barely got a kick in the actual tournament.

I think I'll go off what I watched week in week out. He was average. His goal return poor.

8 goals and 3 assists pre World Cup. Not as bad as you suggest especially when you consider the Ronaldo issue of that period.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.

His goal return was poor but his underlying data was very good. Every man and his dog could see a massive upturn coming if he just kept playing like that.

You don’t worry about the forwards consistently missing good chances, you worry about those consistently not getting them in the first place.

roseguy64

FFS, if you thought Rashford was average in his performances then I don't think we can trust your football opinions.

He's not turned it around. He's just started scoring more and been overall slightly better.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

I think it was more than a season. He was poor second half of 20/21. Awful all last season. Average this season until the world cup.

That's two years of rubbish/average.
He was the most in-form English player going into the world cup: scoring the winner vs Liverpool, twice vs Arsenal, the winner vs West Ham, as well as a MOTM performance vs Spurs.

Marwood

8 goals and 3 assists pre World Cup. Qas bad as you suggest especially when you consider the Ronaldo issue of that period.
How bad did I suggest he was? I said average didn't I? Not that bad.You can include the goals against FC Sheriff and Omonia Nikosia if you like but its' still 4 league goals. Scored in three games.

He was the most in-form English player going into the world cup: scoring the winner vs Liverpool, twice vs Arsenal, the winner vs West Ham, as well as a MOTM performance vs Spurs.
Buddy all you've done there is list his entire league goals from start of the season to world cup. Which is three games. What about all the other games? The eleven he didn't score in? How does that make him the in form player in the country.

FFS, if you thought Rashford was average in his performances then I don't think we can trust your football opinions.

He's not turned it around. He's just started scoring more and been overall slightly better.
His performances were better than the previous 18 month but they were still just ok. Was there a clamour for Rashford to start in the world cup? I don't think so. He'd scored in 3 out of 14 league games. If that's not average what is?

Look I want Rashford to stay. He should be amongst the top earners at the club.

But he definitely shouldn't be amongst the top earners in the world. His form from Jan 21 to Jan 23 really doesn't warrant that.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
How bad did I suggest he was? I said average didn't I? Not that bad.You can include the goals against FC Sheriff and Omonia Nikosia if you like but its' still 4 league goals. Scored in three games.

Buddy all you've done there is list his entire league goals from start of the season to world cup. Which is three games. What about all the other games? The eleven he didn't score in? How does that make him the in form player in the country.

His performances were better than the previous 18 month but they were still just ok. Was there a clamour for Rashford to start in the world cup? I don't think so. He'd scored in 3 out of 14 league games. If that's not average what is?

Look I want Rashford to stay. He should be amongst the top earners at the club.

But he definitely shouldn't be amongst the top earners in the world. His form from Jan 21 to Jan 23 really doesn't warrant that.
No idea what you are trying to say all the time. Yes he should be among the top earners at United which would already give him 350/400 k per week.
No one said he should be among the top earners in the world. Which would be what anyway? Mbappe level? Don’t worry, we will not be that stupid and pay Rashford anything close to that, but I am sure you already know that.
If salaries should be questioned everytime one of our players has a (longer) period where they underperform or worse, don’t play at all, then maybe apart from 1 or 2 players (if not zero players) no player would justify their contract/wages.

Rashford with his numbers alone (yes including in 2019/2020 and 2020/21) should be one of our last players whose (potential) wages should be questioned and not one of our first.

FattyFooty

He was great in 19-20, 20-21 and now this season. That's 3 great seasons.
He has been good, not great. If he reaches 20 PL goals and helps us secure 4th. (He likely do both) That would be hes first great season with us imo. He also seems to be a bit more consistent now.

Marwood

No idea what you are trying to say all the time. Yes he should be among the top earners at United which would already give him 350/400 k per week.
No one said he should be among the top earners in the world. Which would be what anyway? Mbappe level? Don’t worry, we will not be that stupid and pay Rashford anything close to that, but I am sure you already know that.
If salaries should be questioned everytime one of our players has a (longer) period where they underperform or worse, don’t play at all, then maybe apart from 1 or 2 players (if not zero players) no player would justify their contract/wages.

Rashford with his numbers alone (yes including in 2019/2020 and 2020/21) should be one of our last players whose (potential) wages should be questioned and not one of our first.
You've probably only started reading the conversation halfway through. Hence the confusion.

I was only saying the club shouldn't just hand over whatever Rashford's team wants, which has been the clubs way for a few years. Partly because his game has been so up and down and partly because his transfer value likely outstrips his actual ability.

But going off Rashford's tweet about negotiations it looks like they're not asking for anything too silly.

Abraxas

Isn't it fairly simple? He's been our best player all season. He's undoubtedly one of our most talented players, maybe the most talented. So there's not a parallel universe in which we would let him go or not do our utmost to keep him. So that's the starting point. No other club would do anything different, it would be delusional to think they would as it makes no business sense and no sporting sense to lose Rashford.

We negotiate hard. But we do have to go to the levels that the football market is dictating that we have to for an attacker that would be sought after by top clubs and is a Manchester United player. It's not quite Mbappe levels, but it's certainly eye watering levels because that's the monster the football world has created. No point standing round moaning about the nature of things unless we're going to take a stand as a football club and act on principle. Which we won't because it is very isolating and compromising to do that.

It's a completely normal situation in football. Your best performers leverage their situation to suit them. To be fair clubs do the same thing. They're all out to get the most for themselves and that's why you need good negotiators.

95% he gets a massive contract, we all move on.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

I highlighted those games because they were match winning performances. He was also arguably the best player on the pitch in games he didn't score in vs Spurs, Chelsea & Everton. That's 6 league games out of the 14 going into the world cup where he was a standout performer. To say he was average until the world cup started is clearly false. Surely you must remember the consensus going into the world cup was that he was in fantastic form?

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Seriously? He is your best player and the only goal scorer. Is sell him an option at all?

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
You've probably only started reading the conversation halfway through. Hence the confusion.

I was only saying the club shouldn't just hand over whatever Rashford's team wants, which has been the clubs way for a few years. Partly because his game has been so up and down and partly because his transfer value likely outstrips his actual ability.

But going off Rashford's tweet about negotiations it looks like they're not asking for anything too silly.
No, I have read several times from you now something along „I want him to stay but not at any costs“.
Apart from that everybody’s - at least every top player’s - transfer value outstrips their ability and we are not buying Rashford anyway so transfer value has no relevance here.

Yes I also don’t want us to pay him 1 mil per week, but that doesn’t need to be written 10 times as it goes without saying.

I am sure the club will keep him. Negotiations will take longer - base salary, bonus, image rights, maybe it will also be linked to appearances, awards, trophies, etc. plus many more aspects to be considered.

Threesus

Saka, who is a better player than him already, is negotiating a 300k/wk contract, if reports are to be believed. I wouldn’t go more than that for rashford as well.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Saka, who is a better player than him already, is negotiating a 300k/wk contract, if reports are to be believed. I wouldn’t go more than that for rashford as well.
So you’d let him leave on a free then?

To replace him we’ll need to spend about £100 million and then pay that player at least £300k-£400k a week.

Renewing Rashford is the best footballing and financial decision.

Marwood

I highlighted those games because they were match winning performances. He was also arguably the best player on the pitch in games he didn't score in vs Spurs, Chelsea & Everton. That's 6 league games out of the 14 going into the world cup where he was a standout performer. To say he was average until the world cup started is clearly false. Surely you must remember the consensus going into the world cup was that he was in fantastic form?
You can't just pick out the good bits and pretend that was a players form. You mentioned those three games because they were literally the only three games he scored in.

He scored four goals(in theee games) and had two assists in fourteen league games before the world cup.

Nobody but big Marcus Rashford fans would call that fantastic form. If that's fantastic how would you describe his post world cup form? He wasn't selected to start in the world cup and nobody was surprised.

I'm not saying this to have a pop at Rashford. I'm just pointing out how the club should be looking at this. That they should move away from the usual contract method of giving the player whatever they want because of a good run of form.

Like we did with Martial, DDG, Sancho etc.

Last edited:

AFC NimbleThumb

You can't just pick out the good bits and pretend that was a players form. You mentioned those three games because they were literally the only three games he played in.

He scored four goals(in theee games) and had two assists in fourteen league games before the world cup.

Nobody but big Marcus Rashford fans would call that fantastic form. If that's fantastic how would you describe his post world cup form? He wasn't selected to start in the world cup and nobody was surprised.

I'm not saying this to have a pop at Rashford. I'm just pointing out how the club should be looking at this. That they should move away from the usual contract method of giving the player whatever they want because of a good run of form.

Thank feck fan ownership isn’t a realistic option.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
You can't just pick out the good bits and pretend that was a players form. You mentioned those three games because they were literally the only three games he played in.

How do you think club should look at player like Rashford?

He has consistently contributed almost 35+ goals and assists in 3 out of last 4 seasons, before that he wasn't played enough to produce big numbers.

He has averaged 102, 115 and 90 mins per G+A in last 3/4 seasons and overall his career he averages 124 mins. In PL he averages around 130 mins and that's a very good record considering the age he started, the kind of coaches we had in his career.

Any player we sign who contributes to as many goals will be commanding huge fee and as much as Rashford would be asking in his new contract.

AFC NimbleThumb

How do you think club should look at player like Rashford?

He has consistently contributed almost 35+ goals and assists in 3 out of last 4 seasons, before that he wasn't played enough to produce big numbers.

He has averaged 102, 115 and 90 mins per G+A in last 3/4 seasons and overall his career he averages 124 mins. In PL he averages around 130 mins and that's a very good record considering the age he started, the kind of coaches we had in his career.

Any player we sign who contributes to as many goals will be commanding huge fee and as much as Rashford would be asking in his new contract.
Encapsulates it perfectly. Any shiny new toy posters would see him replaced with would cost a ton & then some i’m wages.

This obsession with contracts is hilarious, we rarely know exactly what they are being paid & due to letting it run down as we have coinciding with World Class form the club are hardly in a position to dictate to the guy.

It’s widely accepted he was bad, no terrible, at points last season but as you point out earlier 3 out of the last 4 seasons would show that to be an anomaly. Fortunately EtH knows the score.

Status
Not open for further replies.