Rashford - New contract or sell?

What to do with Marcus Rashford...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

SAF is the GOAT

If he doesn't perform next season - I can really "see" us selling him in 2 years and buy Antony so we could have Sancho and Elanga on the LW and Antony and Amad on the RW

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
We aren't freakin rehabilitation center ffs.

Of we can find better player to replace him, then we should move him on. If not, as we have many other positions to fill, he will get another season to prove his worth.

Only then would it makes sense if to extend.
Typical United. One last season. Plays well for 3 games. Contract extension accomplished. Continue to shit for the next 2.5 seasons.

Exactly how we ended up with Jones, Mata, mcT and the rest.

But sure. One clean slate + another clean slate at another position for the sake of it

skc_18

If this is really a new regime and learnt from past mistakes, we would either sell him or renew his contract this summer.

JeffFromHK

Well mate. Lets hope he finds his form. I refuse to believe he is this poor of a footballer after watching him for years now.

Ryan Giggs went through something similar in his late twenties.
Ryan Giggs had good interlinking play at least. Rashford this season is like a blackhole on the pitch, pass to him is almost guaranteed a loss of possession.

Cloud7

Saw this tweet and it really got me thinking. A couple of years back, there was a pretty big debate around who was the better player and who had the higher ceiling; Rashford or Jesus.

Looking at where they are in their careers now, Rashford has regressed massively whereas Jesus seems to have kicked on a bit, still certainly not the world beater that some predicted.

What I find more interesting though is the dynamics of the club. Rashford has had an appalling couple of years and yet, there doesn’t seem to be any sign of him being ditched. Jesus has had a pretty decent season, seems to have got better as the season has went on and looks like he’ll end the season with a PL medal, and yet, City are looking to move him on.

Kinda shows where we are as a club just now. We need to bring the ruthless streak back, far too many passengers in this club with Rashford very high on that list.
We always hang on to players for far too long. Only exception recently has been Lukaku who was sold in a sensible and timely manner.

-Supreme-

McClaren said: "I hate that attitude in a player. Body language is so important and that was the criticism of United players in the last few weeks, but [Marcus] Rashford has probably had this problem throughout his career in terms of questioning his attitude.
It will be interesting to see how they get along if both are here next season.

Last edited:

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
How many hours until we see a story about 'United players' not rating McClaren because he's never achieved anything do we think?

jesperjaap

I think uless he asks for a move, he is staying.

He is a talented player and has had some good moments here, but his whle career here gets over rated fo rme. Reasonable goals and assist record, but nothing to write home about, worked under four managers now and in that time, lots of it he has been competing with Martial and it was pretty even race....he really has only had 6months of standout performances under Ole here and this season.....any single working person on this forum that did there job to the level he has here, would have been fired months ago.

Personal opinion, a new contract would be mandess, faith in a manager that hasnt even come here yet to turn him round s a little hopeful at best and at worst naive and back to the player he was.....against the player Sancho can be....he is still on the bench anyway.....If £60m is true it should be a really really easy decision in my opinion. He was considered one of or the most valuable player in the world a year or so ago.....could role off twenty better left wingers than him

marcus agrippa

Well mate. Lets hope he finds his form. I refuse to believe he is this poor of a footballer after watching him for years now.

I wouldn't look to Giggs as a point of hope. The reason he could transition into central midfield in the latter part of his career was because he had football intelligence; he could think about the game even when he was playing badly. My criticism of Rashford is he hasn't developed this part of his game at all. Still head-down and try the same thing over and over and over and over .... and again.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
He has had the exact same dribble success rate for the past 5 years. It's amateur playground footballing ability for him. Are you not sick of him pretending to dribble?

We would put up with it if he had any footballing IQ but the kid is dumb as a brick. No awareness on the pitch.

For a progressive team that will be fully dependent on spatial awareness under ETH, he is the first one that should be dumped.

Ted Lasso

This was posted after that situation at the Euros. That's how he responded to criticism, albeit the Englanders went absolutely wild. Now, after dealing with criticism and adversity, he and his team added to the fire (allegedly). I think the team needs to see some return to his old self before awarding him with more money.
Really? Why are some posters saying it's from a holiday they went on recently?

Would be helpful to get honest context.

If it is after the Euros then I feel even more strongly that it's inappropriate. The amount of racist abuse that came from the shootout, who am I or anyone else to say how two young lads should cope with it. Credit to them for not backing down like the majority of society has for decades

Ted Lasso

It will be interesting to see how they get along if both are here next season.
Sources from within the club are critical of McClarens training methods which fall short of Rangnik and Carrick and McKennas.

ReallyUSA

Really? Why are some posters saying it's from a holiday they went on recently?

Would be helpful to get honest context.

If it is after the Euros then I feel even more strongly that it's inappropriate. The amount of racist abuse that came from the shootout, who am I or anyone else to say how two young lads should cope with it. Credit to them for not backing down like the majority of society has for decades
I’m black and there are thousands of videos of all races enjoying hip hop music. The timing of flossing your financial prowess with your friend as a response isolated isn’t a big deal. When you tie it to the other egotistical nonsense, then you have to be worried.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
How many hours until we see a story about 'United players' not rating McClaren because he's never achieved anything do we think?
And some of the idiot fans will get on the sack the manager bandwagon in no time. Sometimes it feels right we're being served turd because of these fans.

Hammondo

Talent and potential, he’s on higher ceiling than James. On his CV, he has better stats than James. And it’s not like he is 30 years old where player’s 2-3 seasons past stats shouldn’t be counted.

You mentioned Newcastle and other poster also mentioned PSG. Both clubs can afford Rashford wages easily.
PSG have much higher standards than Rashford.

Hammondo

He's never had the talent, he's just been fast.

Ted Lasso

I’m black
I don't find this relevant. If anything, I think it's inappropriate to use this as some sort of authority for deeming Rashford and Sancho's behavior as bad.

and there are thousands of videos of all races enjoying hip hop music. The timing of flossing your financial prowess with your friend as a response isolated isn’t a big deal. When you tie it to the other egotistical nonsense, then you have to be worried.
I thought we established it was tied directly to racial abuse from their own countrymen and supposed fans?

That's my point - if you're saying it's after the Euros, and you have to try and link it to recent footballing events then it's a nose up at the awful and unacceptable behavior of "fans". Which I applaud them for.

If we're now saying it wasn't after the Euros and is just a random sing along on some holiday and you still want to tie it to the football then I think it's silly. Just kids doing their thing. There's plenty on field evidence to criticize Rashford. Obsessing over their social media highlights that don't specifically talk about Man United and the football is a waste of energy.

Lee565

The difference in mentality, man City are willing to move Jesus on who is not doing too bad for them for a back up striker and they will make good money on his sale as they capitalize on his stock still being relatively high and replacing him with a genuine world class talent.

us on the other hand are still reluctant to move on a player that is going downhill fast for the past two season and would still be able to sell at a fair price based in reputation but will inevitably keep hold of him in hope he comes good until he almost becomes unsellable due to one too many poor seasons and being on by far undeserved wages that no non big club can't afford.

Litch

No point selling him, too much bollocks has gone on in the club to fully understand who it’s impacted on player’s performances. Let the new manager make that assessment of the players once the dust has settled.

Gurtej

Sell with closed eyes…. I am never more convinced about any other player …. He has to go….. he is bang average and for 200k a week…. Plz pack your bags and go….

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Sources from within the club are critical of McClarens training methods which fall short of Rangnik and Carrick and McKennas.
Yet when he was coach, Fergie hired him as the best progressive coach in the country. Plus Ten Hag has him as his assistant at Twente so is well aware of his coaching capabilities.
I know which version I believe. Stop with the silly narrative

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I haven’t read the last few pages so can someone explain how this seems to be swinging towards post about racism? What’s the colour of his skin got to do with his inability or lack of motivation to even do the basics such as fun after the ball or press?

Telsim

Yet when he was coach, Fergie hired him as the best progressive coach in the country. Plus Ten Hag has him as his assistant at Twente so is well aware of his coaching capabilities.
I think he was meme-ing on the attitude of our players being "unimpressed" with every coach.

Ted Lasso

That was a parody of the leak about Rangnik...

ReallyUSA

I don't find this relevant. If anything, I think it's inappropriate to use this as some sort of authority for deeming Rashford and Sancho's behavior as bad.

I thought we established it was tied directly to racial abuse from their own countrymen and supposed fans?

That's my point - if you're saying it's after the Euros, and you have to try and link it to recent footballing events then it's a nose up at the awful and unacceptable behavior of "fans". Which I applaud them for.

If we're now saying it wasn't after the Euros and is just a random sing along on some holiday and you still want to tie it to the football then I think it's silly. Just kids doing their thing. There's plenty on field evidence to criticize Rashford. Obsessing over their social media highlights that don't specifically talk about Man United and the football is a waste of energy.
We don't have to agree, and I am not changing my stance.

UpWithRivers

Even if he stays where is he going to play? RW? Thats just pointless shoving another player out of his preferred position

Dannn411

No need to sell him because he can be a good squad player with his speed but IMO, it's clear that he cannot be a starter in a team that is serious about challenging for titles. He has lost focus and is more attracted to the celebrity of being a footballer rather than the actual football side. Same issue with a few players in this team. We need to go back to signing football-first footballers.

lex talionis

Quite revealing how in a recent match there was a ball to be in the penalty box for a relatively easy tap in but he just stood there, standing still. Chance list and we dropped points.

Ted Lasso

We don't have to agree, and I am not changing my stance.
You could count on one hand the number of times anyone has changed their mind on the interwebs because someone with a contradicting viewpoint exchanged their ideas.

Why would I expect you to agree with me on a subjective issue? I hope I didn't give the impression I was trying to change your mind about how you feel about Rashford or even the kind of posts young athletes of color make on social media. You're very well entitled to them and there's not really a right or wrong answer is there.

I only replied because you quoted me originally to say the video was from a different time than another poster had (unless I'm mixing up the replies). That is a factual piece of information that ultimately determines how I feel on these things. And in both cases my personal feelings are that it's silly of someone to get their feathers ruffled bout it. Perhaps I should have known better that talking about how feel on the issue would have completed derailed the original intent:

When in tarnation is that video actually from? Can nobody validate without tripping over their hatred for Rashford?

Wilt

Rashford has seen all the managers he’s played under sacked and as a supposedly main player must take partial responsibility in their dismissal. I fear ETH will be gambling his own future at Utd if he Rashford stays. Sell now while we can or he’ll be just yet another player stinking the place up running down his contract in order to leave on a free.

Far too much focus/attention has been spent on Rashford this season. A clean break is needed and feel it would be best for both player and club if they part ways.

choccy77

I'd give Rashford this pre season and season with a new manager and better quality squad to step up.

If he doesn't, then he has no more excuses left to hide behind and is just shite.

Nordmore

Imo we should sell. He's played more than 60 matches in a year through various injures. Torres, Owen did the same and fecked up their body then became shit at quite an early age. My bet is it'd be the same with Rashford. Or it's already been.

We should sell when he still has the market value and reinvest.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
We're getting the stage with Rashford where I start thinking 'has any player ever come back after 2 full seasons of meh?'
I genuinely can't think of many. Especially players whose game was at least partly based on blistering pace.

It's so sad, because when he was at his best, people seem to have forgotten how skillful he was. He was able to play as a true winger, beating his man with skills and trickery. Now his worst enemy appears to be the byline :(

studs

Ten hag is going to want 100% from this fella. I don't see that happening.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
I'd give Rashford this pre season and season with a new manager and better quality squad to step up.

If he doesn't, then he has no more excuses left to hide behind and is just shite.
I think if we were going to keep Rashford, your not looking at making that decision based on if he improves over a few weeks of preseason, Rashford came up got a few months under Van Gaal, then spent the next 5 years working under Mourinho (who has zero interest in developing players) and Ole ( who goeing by his stint isn't capable of developing first-team players). Rashford is never going to get those key years of development, we are now at the stage of what the best player he can be with a lowered ceiling, if Ten Hag comes in and Rashord shows he is ready to bust a gut trying to begin to catch up on the development he has missed then that's the best we can hope for this summer. We arnt going to see significant improvements in his decision making, positioning so expecting results on the pitch at that stage is not really on the cards.

Status
Not open for further replies.