Rashford - New contract or sell?

What to do with Marcus Rashford...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m not sure what ‘literally gave up’ means (do you know the meaning of ‘literally’?). The stats posted by another poster above suggest his work rate was fine. And regardless of the options in the poll, no one made anyone choose an option. I didn’t vote in the poll as both options were daft. I would have played it exactly how it has gone, I.E. get a competent manager in and see if Rashford gets back on track, as he has always had huge, obvious potential.

I can’t see any sensible way to spin selling Rashford as a sensible option. It was silly then and silly now.
100% this post, I made the same argument last week. Why vote when both options were daft at the time? No-one had a gun against their head and was forced to make a stupid choice.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Always liked him and was convinced he would find his form again :)

He didn't stop running and trying for what it's worth, his defensive stats were as good as ever last season.
We were beyond shite last season, totally in the dark and rudderless, it had the effect of making people believe everyone but Ronaldo gave up.
In reality most players were of course trying but were in the middle of an absolute clusterfeck, trying to find form when everyone is playing like utter shite is almost impossible.

Pretending he wasn’t trying is the 85%’s way of justifying making a daft vote in the poll rather than just abstaining.

Posh Red

We were beyond shite last season, totally in the dark and rudderless, it had the effect of making people believe everyone but Ronaldo gave up.
In reality most players were of course trying but were in the middle of an absolute clusterfeck, trying to find form when everyone is playing like utter shite is almost impossible.

Pretending he wasn’t trying is the 85%’s way of justifying making a daft vote in the poll rather than just abstaining.
Correct

Doracle

It’s notable that those still trying to justify their kneejerk opinions generally try and say his poor form lasted two years. I think that’s probably because they’ve now realised that trying to justify selling a player based on a bad 6 month period when recovering from an operation, when the whole team was struggling, sounds completely unreasonable.

Assessing how Rashford performed this season was always the correct non-answer to this poll. It was always possible that he had lost something permanently after his injuries but 85% of the voters giving up on one of our best players over the past few seasons in the circumstances was absolutely remarkable.

OlsensHummelBoots

I prefer the other 8887 tom posters to you to be honest.

If you can't see he's seriously revitalised and on a huge run of form, i pity you.
He's on a fishing trip, throwing out bait, looking for bites.

In fairness, he landed me in the net yesterday.:D

RuudTom83

If the rumoured 200k cape is real then wouldn’t Marcus need to take a pay cut to sign any new contract United offer? haha

Rockets Redglare

If the rumoured 200k cape is real then wouldn’t Marcus need to take a pay cut to sign any new contract United offer? haha
I think it’s 200k flat, but the big stars will make a lot more with bonuses and add ons.
Basically if you play well you get paid more, which is a much better model.

MegadrivePerson

Incredible how page one of this thread is almost all made up of people saying sell!

I'd imagine that a new poll would look very different!

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
The other option was a little bit unnecessary since we had time to wait and see, but really it was a 'keep or get rid' vote.

The other option was a little bit unnecessary since we had time to wait and see, but really it was a 'keep or get rid' vote.
Or abstain, no-one stuck a gun to people’s heads :lol:
I abstained, because a new contract for anyone last season would’ve been daft as feck, but selling Rashford before getting in a new manager would also have been daft as feck.

EtH

If he gets injured we are in massive trouble. It’s ridiculous how important he is right now. So happy he’s turned it around.
Really is an amazing turnaround. He is absolutely killing it this season. We really need Bruno and Martial amongst others to start chipping in though. Can’t rely on one player to carry the scoring load.

glazed

Or abstain, no-one stuck a gun to people’s heads :lol:
I abstained, because a new contract for anyone last season would’ve been daft as feck, but selling Rashford before getting in a new manager would also have been daft as feck.
Well I agree the 15% were perhaps being unstrategically premature, but it was more a statement of intent than an actual contract that was being called for. So abstaining was honourable. But the 85%-ers were clearly daft as fek.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
He does seem to be the flavour of the month right now, but I'd wait till the Summer and assess at that point.

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
I never really got the hate for Rashford. If he really was lazy then fair play, I didn’t watch enough of your games to get that impression.

To me he looked out of position, especially early on. I just didn’t see him as a winger.

But ETH seems to have him playing well all around. Good for him.

SAFMUTD

I'll fight anybody that still argues that we shouldnt renew his contract. Just not on thursdays but twice on sundays.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
With one year contract left and on this kind of form, he holds all the card. fecking Glazers won't care because they'll be gone anyway.

Frank Grimes

Just read that 40% of Rashford's league goals have been winners. That's the highest % of any player in the league.

The idiot who created this thread should be hung, drawn and quartered.

Last edited:

redIndianDevil

He seems to be an all instinct kind of player. That’s what worries me and puts me off him. I just feel he will have these bursts of form and then become quiet. But I’m inclined to change my mind since I believe EtH can get the best out of him. But relying on Rashford to be our Kane, De Bruyne or Salah is a recipe for disaster.

He could have had two goals or two assists in the first half if he had some composure. But when it’s pure instinct and he has no time to think he does amazing stuff.

MiracleInMadrid

Gotta give it to him. What a turnaround, what a man.

He’s had some absolutely brilliant goalscoring moments for the club throughout his time here.

His problem is that it haven’t led to any major trophies yet.

So far, I’d go as far as saying that he’s having a Van Persieesque season this year. But in the grand scheme of things it will be forgotten unless we end up doing something amazing.

Swiss_Red89

He seems to be an all instinct kind of player. That’s what worries me and puts me off him. I just feel he will have these bursts of form and then become quiet. But I’m inclined to change my mind since I believe EtH can get the best out of him. But relying on Rashford to be our Kane, De Bruyne or Salah is a recipe for disaster.

He could have had two goals or two assists in the first half if he had some composure. But when it’s pure instinct and he has no time to think he does amazing stuff.
ah feck off.

justboy68

Ten Hag has totally turned him around. Couldn't be happier to have been wrong about wanting to cash in on him in the summer. Just hope he stays fit and doesn't get ran in to the ground. We'll have to try and rest him at some point.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Extremely happy to have been proven wrong so far.

Incredible heads up play to not engage & touch the ball before Bruno scored. One of my gripes with Rashford was his lapses in football IQ, but he had gone a long way in correcting such this season.

Ronaldo would have taken a shot & fecked everything up.

Rayman96

Supports
Also supports Rangers
But we want to laugh at you forever.
If we lock the thread this balloon would literally have nothing to do. He has been living here for months.
I gather he must get a helluva lot of things wrong cos he is milking this to death.
3 cheers for Glazed

glazed

If we lock the thread this balloon would literally have nothing to do. He has been living here for months.
I gather he must get a helluva lot of things wrong cos he is milking this to death.
3 cheers for Glazed
As an 85%-er you need to get back to your corner and put your dunce cap on, not cheek your betters.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters

So Kane, De Bruyne or Salah always take their chances or make their assists do they?

Best get back on your spaceship because you're making no sense on this planet!

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Every top club will be offering him £500k-£600k a week if this form continues.

We need to get him tied down to a new contract right now.

Rayman96

Supports
Also supports Rangers
As an 85%-er you need to get back to your corner and put your dunce cap on, not cheek your betters.
:lol: You took 5 mins to respond there. Your slipping.
Were you taking a dump or something. C'mon next time take the laptop in with you.

glazed

:lol: You took 5 mins to respond there. Your slipping.
Were you taking a dump or something. C'mon next time take the laptop in with you.
*You're

It's called notifications. Now back to your idiot corner and stfu

But relying on Rashford to be our Kane, De Bruyne or Salah is a recipe for disaster.

He could have had two goals or two assists in the first half if he had some composure.
I've always thought this is the wrong way around.

Kane and Salah miss chances like those two first-half ones in pretty much every game (which is also why they're invariably at or near the top of the league for big chances missed every season).

The reason they post elite goal tallies is that they get into those positions four or five times a game and convert one or two - this is something Rashford has lacked over the years.

Even earlier in the season, people were saying Rashford's lack of finishing/composure was costing us points when he missed those chances against Newcastle and Chelsea. It was always a volume problem - partially because we were struggling badly as a team to create quality chances, and partially because Rashford himself hasn't historically been great at getting himself into goalscoring positions when he doesn't have space to run behind defences. He's looked noticeably better at it in the last couple of months - long may it continue.

andy0

Blimey, first time i saw this thread, and was stunned by the vote, then saw it closed months ago

Maybe it could be reopened, and see how far it swings in the other direction?

Edit: Or if it's possible, but not been done, is it a wind-up reminder to people who voted wrong?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.