Rashford - New contract or sell?

What to do with Marcus Rashford...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

acnumber9

Jesus, the poll wasn’t even close. This thread is evidence of why fan based ownership isn’t always a great idea.

Fully Fledged

Wonder how much he's worth now?
Rio said in one of his YouTube videos that we missed the trick in the summer. Rashford was suffering from a run of bad form and you could have probably got him to sign a long contract on the same money he was on.

6 months later and he's got to be out top earner.

Fully Fledged

So basically the only people who are carrying this thread are those that still think it matters whether they are right or wrong about something on an anonymous forum
No. What's carrying this thread are the numpties who can't admit they were wrong.

Zed 101

Who would you replace Rashford with? how many players are there like for like performing at the top level? Mbappe?..... it is not even a close call Rashford's wages or spunking £100m-£150m on a replacement who demand just as much in wages or even more... what they call a no brainer!

AFC NimbleThumb

This thread has aged wonderfully. I’ll be gutted should he leave but feck me it’d serve some right.

Let’s hope he signs then a number of you can move onto Sancho &/or Antony.

Vapor trail

The thread is a strong reflection of an online forum with fans. Think what it really shows is a lack of discernment to understand judging a bad player from effort and perhaps an unmotivated player with non-effort. Rashford was playing poorly giving zero effort. That is a massive contrast from a player who lacks quality.

Having watched the Lingard interview on diary of a CEO there's clearly lots of pressure on players and expectation that many can't quantify because of a football player being viewed as a success simply for monetary gain. However, the consensus is because they are highly paid athletes they supposedly should be incapable of experiencing lows. Rashford has been fantastic this season and it's a true reflection of his ability not just form because he has replicated these levels of performances with consistency in the past.

The thread and the ridiculous poll serves as a good barometer for a learning experience for fans to apply with the likes of Sancho / Antony.

RedDevil@84

Good to see this thread is still being dragged on by the "told you so" crowd. I dread the day Pogba scores a fancy goal or gives a good assist for Juventus. Couple of the threads will be full of the "told you so" lot.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
I do think people are getting a little carried away with his current form.

He's only scored 9 league goals in 20 games this season. Only 1 away from home too.

He very rarely scores more than one goal a game too.

I'm not knocking him by the way, I'm just saying that hopefully this is just the start for Rashford, and not him hitting his peak. He still needs to show more to justify a big contract extension in my opinion.
Wolves away and Arsenal away were in the last few weeks alone.

Hahahahaha

Flexdegea

He's absolute unplayable at the moment.

He's had good spells before but none like this. So electric, looks huge too.

Can't believe at one stage last season I was thinking maybe he could move on.

Most exciting on form player in Europe at the moment in my opinion.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Good to see this thread is still being dragged on by the "told you so" crowd. I dread the day Pogba scores a fancy goal or gives a good assist for Juventus. Couple of the threads will be full of the "told you so" lot.
I mean, feel like I just make the same post every time I come in this thread, but he had around the 20 goal mark for the 2 seasons before this thread was even started, despite being predominantly a wide player. That's almost impossible to replace.

There hasn't been a point since Rashford burst onto the scene where selling Rashford wouldn't have meant having to fork out stupid money on a (most likely inferior) Rashford replacement. So there's not much of an I told you so about it. Well there is, but it's like telling someone that punching themselves in the balls will hurt. There's no hindsight involved it's just satisfying/funny to watch them make an idiot of themselves by doing it anyway...although slightly concerning when 80% of their mates copy them.

Wolves away and Arsenal away were in the last few weeks alone.

Hahahahaha
Also like how 9 goals in 20 games is trotted out like its a bad thing. That would be good for a striker never mind a wide player.

That sort of rate would put him on nearly 30 goals for the season across all competitions, and actually if he kept up his overall scoring rate this season he'll end up on 30+ :lol:

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Tissue?

RedDevil@84

although slightly concerning when 80% of their mates copy them.
An out of form Rashford who seemed to have problems for 18 months or so and more importantly someone who was looking for a better contract over his already existing high salary of 200k pw, and then just 2 choices in the poll, one of which is not "wait and watch for improvement"
The numbers are hardly surprising.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
An out of form Rashford who seemed to have problems for 18 months or so and more importantly someone who was looking for a better contract over his already existing high salary of 200k pw, and then just 2 choices in the poll, one of which is not "wait and watch for improvement"
The numbers are hardly surprising.
They're only not surprising if you pre assumed most people are idiots, which to be fair would be a fair assumption given the history of wrong general opinion on here...but Rashford had one poor season during the same season literally all of our players had a poor season, so there wasn't even qny logical basis to single him out to start with.

If we needed to offload a forward he would literally have been last on the list to anyone with some sense. Especially as we knew we'd be losing Pogba, Cavani and Lingard, and had resorted to loaning Martial, and had no idea Garnacho would step up.

I mean, take this season's form out of the argument, and assume its opening day and we'd sold him in the Summer. We'd have been instantly fecked, and it's obvious we would have been.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
I mean, feel like I just make the same post every time I come in this thread, but he had around the 20 goal mark for the 2 seasons before this thread was even started, despite being predominantly a wide player. That's almost impossible to replace.

There hasn't been a point since Rashford burst onto the scene where selling Rashford wouldn't have meant having to fork out stupid money on a (most likely inferior) Rashford replacement. So there's not much of an I told you so about it. Well there is, but it's like telling someone that punching themselves in the balls will hurt. There's no hindsight involved it's just satisfying/funny to watch them make an idiot of themselves by doing it anyway...although slightly concerning when 80% of their mates copy them.

Also like how 9 goals in 20 games is trotted out like its a bad thing. That would be good for a striker never mind a wide player.

That sort of rate would put him on nearly 30 goals for the season across all competitions, and actually if he kept up his overall scoring rate this season he'll end up on 30+ :lol:
Some people seem to really really dislike the guy. Probably Tories who don't like kids. Hahaha

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Some people seem to really really dislike the guy. Probably Tories who don't like kids. Hahaha
Its a redcafe thing. Other players I remember the caf hating include young Ronaldo, Nani, Rooney, Hernandez....basically any forward who might show a bit of inconsistency, due to being a forward.

Also Evra until he turned amazing although I was one of the guilty parties on that.

Dread Devil

It was obvious he had a difficult time after missing that penalty in the Euros compounded with all and sundry telling him to stick to football and not politics…. I believe it affected him mentally…and that could be nod to why he is celebrating the way he does…..

Then last season the Glazers / Woodward brought Ronaldo back. Rashford was a huge fan of Ronaldo. Ronaldo upset the whole atmosphere around the club, would visibly complain on the field when Rashford didn’t pass to him even if Rashford had the better opportunity. It was a very difficult season for all of the players and fans.

I hope he stays, and becomes a legend for the club….he is red through and through and this season he is back to his best..

Let’s hope Ten Hag and McCarthy can get Martial and Sancho rolling again…we will be unstoppable..

Last edited:
Reactions: jojojo

Doracle

Yes, sorry its two away goals rather than one!
Why is it relevant that he has 7 goals at home and 2 away? Do the winning goals v Arsenal, Liverpool and City count less to you because they were at home? Also why are you ignoring cup competitions, where he has 9 in 9? I’ve no doubt you’d be including them if he had 0 in 9.

The desire of some fans to try and cherry pick stats, just to try and cast a negative light on our players, is truly astonishing.

cyberman

To be fair we’ve played 4 away games in this time and he’s scored in 3 of them.
What’s he meant to do? Sneak off to away grounds on non match days and sneakily score when nobody’s looking?

MegadrivePerson

Why is it relevant that he has 7 goals at home and 2 away? Do the winning goals v Arsenal, Liverpool and City count less to you because they were at home? Also why are you ignoring cup competitions, where he has 9 in 9? I’ve no doubt you’d be including them if he had 0 in 9.

The desire of some fans to try and cherry pick stats, just to try and cast a negative light on our players, is truly astonishing.
Have you actually read what I originally said? It wasn't meant to try and be negative, it was just to give a sense of balance and perspective.

No, not at all Rashford's ability to score in big games is a really big positive.

The reason I'm not counting the EFL cup or Europa league is because sometimes these stats are essentially stat padding. I'm not interested in what he did against Charlton or Sheriff Tiraspol.

In the same way I didn't think Rashford was completely useless and needing selling last season, I'm not getting carried away and pretending that he's world class and we should give him whatever he wants to stay based on half a league season.

hopefully he continues his upward trajectory this season.

OmarUnited4ever

Three games to go, if RR selects him to start, he has to show the effort that would impress a coach like ETH, he has to press hard, make runs non stop and track back for 90 mins.

I don't care about quality for the last games of the season, Rashford must build a base of a 100% effort as minimum, from there maybe ETH will give him decent minutes next season to gain confidence and improve his performances.

As of now, my opinion on him is that he should be sold, his last chance is the minutes RR will give him in the remainder of this season, if he gets any.
The bolded was my view in May 2022, and I have to admit it was wrong to write him off during a period where the whole club was shambles, I didn't even expect EtH will turn it around as much and as quick as he did, let alone see Rashford's revival, I am not gonna make excuses for my vote back then and I am very pleased to see Rashford playing well again.

Doracle

Have you actually read what I originally said? It wasn't meant to try and be negative, it was just to give a sense of balance and perspective.

No, not at all Rashford's ability to score in big games is a really big positive.

The reason I'm not counting the EFL cup or Europa league is because sometimes these stats are essentially stat padding. I'm not interested in what he did against Charlton or Sheriff Tiraspol.

In the same way I didn't think Rashford was completely useless and needing selling last season, I'm not getting carried away and pretending that he's world class and we should give him whatever he wants to stay based on half a league season.

hopefully he continues his upward trajectory this season.
What you said initially was that we should think carefully about renewing the contract of a player who (in all likelihood) will pass 30 GA for us, mainly playing left wing, for the 3rd time in four years under his current contract - because apparently this is just “current form”.

The reality is that to replace Rashford will cost us £100 million + and a £300k salary. Even then we won’t be able to sign anyone who can come close to guaranteeing his consistent level of contribution.

It was correct to wait and see whether his form returned after the poor last season, as the injury problems he suffered could have had a long term effect. However, it’s bizarre to suggest we should still be checking if our best forward is only on a hot streak that’s covered 3 of the last 4 seasons, before renewing. We should now be taking steps to ensure that we get to a position asap where he is happy and we have him tied down.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Do you get double for away goals then? Hahaha.

Only Haaland has scored more goals than Rashford in all comps this season out of all PL clubs.

I can't understand this constant attempt to knock the guy. We'd be mid table without his form this season.

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout
Anyone still thinking we should sell him needs to go and sit in a quiet, dark room and think about their life choices.

We need to ensure the lad knows how much he is wanted and valued and pay him accordingly. I'd much rather pay someone like Marcus high wages than grifters like Ronaldo.

Reward talent, attitude and commitment over name.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Anyone still thinking we should sell him needs to go and sit in a quiet, dark room and think about their life choices.
Anyone who ever thought this should have a badge of dumbness added to their caf profiles forever. Like the mark of Cain.

OldSchoolManc

Revisionism is great in hindsight.
Rashford is brilliant this season, but for 18 months he WAS trash and disinterested. You can’t just rewrite that part. He seriously looked finished as a player. For a loooooooong time.
Fair play to Ten Hag and his team for turning Rashford round, because he sure didn’t look like doing it by himself.
Now give him a sensible contract offer loaded with incentives.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Rashford is brilliant this season, but for 18 months he WAS trash and disinterested. You can’t just rewrite that part. He seriously looked finished as a player. For a loooooooong time.
They all did. The common factor was lack of coaching. It was obvious at the time if you cared to look.

JustinC00

Fair play to Ten Hag and his team for turning Rashford round, because he sure didn’t look like doing it by himself.
Now give him a sensible contract offer loaded with incentives.
For 18 months most of the team was trash and disinterested. Then they get a manager that has a clue

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout
They all did. The common factor was lack of coaching. It was obvious at the time if you cared to look.

Exactly. It wasn't just coaching though, it was poor results, dire football, an awful lack of team spirit to the point where you could clearly see infighting and resentment, we all knew the dressing room wasn't a happy place to be. Bad press and social media coverage for all the players and the manager and coaching staff. The fans were brutal more often than not and the players, team and whole club was constantly being bashed. Let's not forget Ronaldo too.

The only time I was worried about Rashford was when he seemed to care more about politics and his school dinner campaign then he did his football. But he had bad injuries and with everything going on at the club you could see that his focus had shifted to keep him sane. He was obviously depressed and he needed something to occupy his mind properly. As it happens he did a wonderful thing and it shows more about his character and him as a person for getting so involved and caring so much about something so important.

Now, with a more unified team and management structure AND fan base you can see how everything negative I listed above has almost completely done a 180°

Marcus is now just showing what we all knew he had and doing it with confidence, a smile on his face, a love of doing so and most importantly with massive support from his team mates, the management and coaches and the fans.

There's no reason, in this form why he couldn't go on to be a future ballon d'or winner.

Status
Not open for further replies.