Rashford - New contract or sell?

What to do with Marcus Rashford...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Doracle

Great then :D

Even at his lowest I'd never doubt his talent. And I refused to think he has some attitude issues because from his breaking through imo one of his biggest strength is his mental strength. Lad is quite right in the head.

I was so gutted and sad to accept the thought he'd no longer have a future here back then. What a waste of talent and a big big shame for us if it was the case. He is one of us.

Tbh till today I still don't understand what's wrong with him last season. Probably only him and ETH does. But I'm super happy with him turning things around and looking happy again. Let's just move on and enjoy this guys. And give the lad some slack if one day he unfortunately goes through another bad period. Long may it last :D
Returning from an operation mid season into a team who was substantially underperforming and saddled with an extremely poor interim manager.

It was obvious last season wasn’t one on which to make decisions about any player. Anyone who wanted him sold after one poor season was being incredibly short sighted. It’s just sad that 85% of the forum falls into that category.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
It's just funny that he might single handedly win the league (probably not though) and still some people are claiming they were right at the time. If we can't take the p*ss out of people that dumb then what's the point of anything?
Piss taking is cool, enjoyable, actually what a lot of folk are here for.

Some on both sides are serious.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
It’s just sad that 85% of the forum falls into that category.
But also worth keeping in mind when you read the forum in general. Antony is sh1t, Weghorst doesn't do anything, sell Sancho etc etc

Withnail

Indeed. We're a fickle bunch.
Ha. When you start dragging up old posts like this you'd want to be careful. We've all had poor takes and when 85% wanted him gone and practically everyone has conceded it would have been a mistake it seems fairly churlish to be carrying on the I-told-you-so stuff for this long. I'm saying this as one of the 15% so it's not in self-interest. I just find it all a bit tedious now.

Gerald G

to put it mildly.
Although Rashford progression this year has been nothing short of spectacular.
I know but 85% wanted him sold?? I didn't think that many United fans thought that. I don't want to be smug but I was never in that camp and would have assumed a fair few thought the same

Withnail

Just so you know I defended him here for two years, he didn't do himself any favours. Hindsight and all that. No one saw this coming.
Well to be fair some of us felt he still had it in him, given a rest, a proper pre-season and a decent manager. I just couldn't see a situation where his career could be over at 24, after what we'd seen from him between the ages of 19 and 23. I certainly felt he had room to improve on his 2020 form.

Withnail

Don’t forget that not everyone on the forum voted. And the more pissed off/impatient members were more likely to vote. So that will bias the result.
True and a whole heap of posters avoid player performance discussions altogether. I tend to stay out of it mostly as I find it tedious and reactionary.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Don‘t we have a 200k limit in place on salaries right now? Just offer him that, if that is not enough sell him for 120 million.
200k?
We should ask him to play for free!
One of our best players, the face of the club, very marketable, young, … should absolutely not be among our best paid players or the best paid players in the league.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
I would love to keep him but what if he wants to be the best paid United player (rightly so atm)? Would people be ok if we sign him for 400k (or more) a week for example?

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
True and a whole heap of posters avoid player performance discussions altogether. I tend to stay out of it mostly as I find it tedious and reactionary.
Yeah, I’m more and more that way in the FF as a whole.

By my own admission I’m a reactionary, emotional and impulsive twat. In real life that works well for me and I rock it, on here it ends badly :)

NLunited

I'm glad I was wrong about him BUT he has had these purple patches before. ETH has him playing better than I've ever seen him but when the form drops, can he stop it from being quite as bad as it has been in the past. That's critical as we know he can go from world class to championship level in a matter of weeks.
There‘s a relation between form and the team performance. As long as the team does the things they are supposed to do, Rashford will get into scoring positions.

Good form is tied to the team performance and spirit. Without that any player can struggle. The qualities Rashford has, would still be there.

What we saw at the beginning of the season, is Marcus missing chances he is now making. The team performing better saw him get more chances and once he put some away, his confidence came back.

RedRoach

Was always a huge Rashford supporter and supporter of our young players in general, but I hold my hands up and say I voted to not renew his contract (considering that he is on high wages) and clearly that looks ludicrous now. I am thrilled he has turned it around because he was genuinely tumescent for 18 months and I had lost all hope and thought he was another Lingard or perhaps that the back injury had got the better of him.

Ultimately Rashford is the face of this United and long may his form continue.

arthurka

Well to be fair some of us felt he still had it in him, given a rest, a proper pre-season and a decent manager. I just couldn't see a situation where his career could be over at 24, after what we'd seen from him between the ages of 19 and 23. I certainly felt he had room to improve on his 2020 form.
Many of us did yes but no one could foresee this form and so quickly after 2 absolutely shocking years. Really happy for him and us, couldn't have happened to I better bloke.

jm99

Of course it is!! Wanting to get rid of him means you're saying he can't and won't ever be fantastic in the future! And then if he is, you're wrong to want to get rid of him in the past. This line of argument does my head in its like I'm taking crazy pills!
Like I said though were we wrong to get rid of forlan? He'd scored something like 10 goals in 60 games for us as a striker, but he became a much better player in Spain. If Ronaldo suddenly becomes incredible again after 6 months getting his head right in Saudi Arabia were we wrong to get rid of him? Of course not.

Based on the information we had at the time selling him for 60m was a good idea, there was no way to know that Ten Hag would be able to come in and completely transform him. People voting didn't do so with the benefit of hindsight, just the information we had at the time, and he looked like a player who had failed to fulfil his early promise. Ten Hag has come in and worked wonders

NLunited

Like I said though were we wrong to get rid of forlan? He'd scored something like 10 goals in 60 games for us as a striker, but he became a much better player in Spain. If Ronaldo suddenly becomes incredible again after 6 months getting his head right in Saudi Arabia were we wrong to get rid of him? Of course not.

Based on the information we had at the time selling him for 60m was a good idea, there was no way to know that Ten Hag would be able to come in and completely transform him. People voting didn't do so with the benefit of hindsight, just the information we had at the time, and he looked like a player who had failed to fulfil his early promise. Ten Hag has come in and worked wonders
Rashford looked like a Ronaldoesque player out of form to me, and selling him would have been stupid.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

Did Forland score 20+ goals in consecutive seasons before having a poor one?

Doracle

He had a goal or assist every 108 minutes across the seasons when he was 22/23, which is elite for a LW. Check out the likes of Salah, Mane or Son at that age. He then had one bad season after an operation, where the probability was always that he was likely to be back to form after a proper pre season and with a good manager.

As I’ve said before, this poll was unfair as the true correct option was always to see how this season went and then look to renew. However, anyone still trying to say that selling him was the correct call based on info at the time is just deluding themselves.

NZT-One

Ha. When you start dragging up old posts like this you'd want to be careful. We've all had poor takes and when 85% wanted him gone and practically everyone has conceded it would have been a mistake it seems fairly churlish to be carrying on the I-told-you-so stuff for this long. I'm saying this as one of the 15% so it's not in self-interest. I just find it all a bit tedious now.
Agree. All it does is making sure, this thread will be bumped as soon as his form declines or anything else happens and then you will have the exact same debate from a 180 degree viewpoint... The ole thread back in the day or the "we are an awfully coached team" are prime examples of that.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Many of us did yes but no one could foresee this form and so quickly after 2 absolutely shocking years. Really happy for him and us, couldn't have happened to I better bloke.
Plenty of fans didn't panic after 1 bad season. Last season was very obviously heavily affected by just team performance. It was a disaster situation to come into. He had the euro penalty miss with his morale rock bottom, had shoulder surgery to miss the opening 2-3 months of the season and then when he came back in, the club was scrambling. Rangnick as well was terrible for him. The lack of patience afforded to him taking everything into account was and will always be fecking shocking and embarassing from so many fans on here. They should accept that they were embarassing rather than try and defend their behavior.

If 21 goals and 15 assists as a left winger is an absolutely shocking year, then I wish more of our players had shocking years like that.

Hanky panky

I would love to keep him but what if he wants to be the best paid United player (rightly so atm)? Would people be ok if we sign him for 400k (or more) a week for example?
He is our best player. Game changer. Currently can make 10-15 points different in a season. Have to re-sign him at all costs.

buchansleftleg

Never been happier to be so wrong. I admit I made the wrong call but the key thing for me was we had the stories in pre-season about how a new motivated Marcus was coming in early for extra training etc....then had a very similar lacklustre performance from him in the early season games. It also came at the same time as his advisors releasing stories about "PSG interest" in him and it all felt like we were going to get stitched up again, offering a long term contract to someone who wasn't worth the money.

Thankfully those early season poor performances from Marcus (and the rest of the team) were put behind them and we started to see how much more he is capable of. In future years people won't believe his goal and assist stats from last year and the transition to the stats for this season. People will assume he had some sort of season long illness or injury.

Raw

Winning goal v Liverpool H (2-1)
Scored twice and assisted another v Arsenal H (3-1)
Winner v West Ham H (1-0)
Scored the first v Forest H (3-0)
Winner v Wolves A (1-0)
Winner v City H (2-1)
Winning goal v Palace H (2-1)
Scored the first v Leeds A (2-0)
Scored the first two v Leicester H (3-0)

His goals have basically won us 27 points this season. Not to mention the important goals in the cups.

Rolaholic

Plenty of fans didn't panic after 1 bad season. Last season was very obviously heavily affected by just team performance. It was a disaster situation to come into. He had the euro penalty miss with his morale rock bottom, had shoulder surgery to miss the opening 2-3 months of the season and then when he came back in, the club was scrambling. Rangnick as well was terrible for him. The lack of patience afforded to him taking everything into account was and will always be fecking shocking and embarassing from so many fans on here. They should accept that they were embarassing rather than try and defend their behavior.

If 21 goals and 15 assists as a left winger is an absolutely shocking year, then I wish more of our players had shocking years like that.
Seriously that narrative of '2 awful seasons/years' does my head in :houllier:

Before his one true poor season last season, he was one of the deadliest players in England the season prior helping us finish 2nd.

This obsession with making out a 21 goal and 15 assist season into being 'shocking' or terrible just to justify their wrong choice of binning him last year is nuts.

jm99

Rashford looked like a Ronaldoesque player out of form to me, and selling him would have been stupid.
I don't think he was Ronaldo level and the talk was a 60m or 80m bid when he also seemed to be dealing with some bad injuries. If they reoccured, regardless of his talent level we'd have been kicking ourselves for not getting that amount of money. Look at Liverpool with Torres, his 08/09 season was incredible as was his season before then he had a bad season then was sold to Chelsea for 50m. Not a dissimilar situation to rashford except rashford regained his form and selling him would have been stupid

But equally if Liverpool had turned down that 50m bid for Torres then he continued to decline they'd have looked like idiots. It's easy to say all this with the benefit of hindsight

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Seriously that narrative of '2 awful seasons/years' does my head in :houllier:

Before his one true poor season last season, he was one of the deadliest players in England the season prior helping us finish 2nd.

This obsession with making out a 21 goal and 15 assist season into being 'shocking' or terrible just to justify their wrong choice of binning him last year is nuts.
It's wild. Like yes, he had inconsistent performances. Some shit games, some great games. But he kept being productive throughout. And it's important to also note that he played through injuries that season. He put off a shoulder surgery for half the season, til after the world Cup which impacted his following season. Yet he still has 21 goals and 15 assists without being the penalty taker. Shocking though.

NLunited

I don't think he was Ronaldo level and the talk was a 60m or 80m bid when he also seemed to be dealing with some bad injuries. If they reoccured, regardless of his talent level we'd have been kicking ourselves for not getting that amount of money. Look at Liverpool with Torres, his 08/09 season was incredible as was his season before then he had a bad season then was sold to Chelsea for 50m. Not a dissimilar situation to rashford except rashford regained his form and selling him would have been stupid

But equally if Liverpool had turned down that 50m bid for Torres then he continued to decline they'd have looked like idiots. It's easy to say all this with the benefit of hindsight
I said it when you all were criticizing him. I said he can be a leader and has Ronaldo like potential. Now we are seeing it.

mctrials23

Shame on those 85% people for not seeing an unprecedented uptick in form coupled with a completely newfound goalscoring prowess. If only you'd looked in your crystal ball hard enough!
Right. The revisionism here is astounding. How many players go from that form to what we are seeing now vs the ones that never recover. How many seemingly top talents end up having mediocre careers or need to move clubs to find their level or find a spark.

Its frankly idiotic to think that a decision looked at in hindsight was a bad decision based on current knowledge. That shows a very rudimentary understanding of decision making.

There is a guy that sold all his shares in Apple decades ago and he would be a multi billionaire now if he didn't. He constantly gets asked "do you regret it". He has to try and explain to people that at the time it was the right decision. He doesn't regret it because it was the right opinion and the right move at the time. If he held onto every stock on the off chance it magically bucked the trend he would be bankrupt a long time ago.

United have a strong history recently of keeping and rewarding mediocrity. If Rashford was not having a good season this year the correct decision would almost certainly be to sell him. You ask people if they think he should be sold when hes getting paid silly money to be barely championship level and the simple answer is yes. The slightly more nuanced answer is "lets wait until we have a new manager".

Doracle

Seriously that narrative of '2 awful seasons/years' does my head in, before his one true poor season last season, he was one of the deadliest players in England the season prior helping us finish 2nd.

This obsession with making out a 21 goal and 15 assist season into being 'shocking' or terrible just to justify their wrongful choice of binning him last year is nuts.
Yeah, that’s the narrative that really annoys me. Every time someone says “but he was poor for 2 years” you know that they are just making excuses for a bad call.

Dion

Right. The revisionism here is astounding. How many players go from that form to what we are seeing now vs the ones that never recover. How many seemingly top talents end up having mediocre careers or need to move clubs to find their level or find a spark.

Its frankly idiotic to think that a decision looked at in hindsight was a bad decision based on current knowledge. That shows a very rudimentary understanding of decision making.

There is a guy that sold all his shares in Apple decades ago and he would be a multi billionaire now if he didn't. He constantly gets asked "do you regret it". He has to try and explain to people that at the time it was the right decision. He doesn't regret it because it was the right opinion and the right move at the time. If he held onto every stock on the off chance it magically bucked the trend he would be bankrupt a long time ago.

United have a strong history recently of keeping and rewarding mediocrity. If Rashford was not having a good season this year the correct decision would almost certainly be to sell him. You ask people if they think he should be sold when hes getting paid silly money to be barely championship level and the simple answer is yes. The slightly more nuanced answer is "lets wait until we have a new manager".
Enough to make it clearly not worth binning off a local lad who loves the club.

It's not like Rashford's form now is some radical revelation as much as the people who voted the wrong way would like to pretend it was. He had 18 goals in mid January 2020 before he damaged his back. He was comfortably on course for a 30 goal season.

Imagine if Juventus had gotten rid of Del Piero after his injury in 1998. It took him close to 3 years to fully recover from it.

This isn't some case that needed a crystal ball, it's common sense.

jm99

I said it when you all were criticizing him. I said he can be a leader and has Ronaldo like potential. Now we are seeing it.
Fair enough you were right on this occasion. I'm just saying sometimes the player regains form and it goes great and other times you kick yourself for not cashing in when they still had value. People shouldn't be criticised for thinking 60m was a more than fair price at the time

Loon

:lol:
Wanted him and the rest of them gone after last season. Wanted Ten Hag to build a squad he could trust. He obviously saw something in Rashford and Rashford has reacted to it. Fair play, I was wrong. Incredible turnaround for the man.

Status
Not open for further replies.