Rashford or Sterling?

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Stop being such a crybaby, picking Sterling over Rashford is just common sense - no one is writing him off.
Did you quote me and delete it? You should just feck off man. I didnt say Rashford is written off because someone picked Sterling over Rashford, I even said in my post that Sterling is better player without any doubt. Is it too many words to process for your little brain?

Go and check Rashford's thread to see whether he is written off. Oh wait it's better to bitch about few things being a clueless poster.

Edit: And I wasn't even talking about Rashford in the post you quoted. It was about Sterling and why it's wrong to write off a young player. Sterling was written off 2 seasons ago when he struggled at City. But why waste a chance to bitch about something you have no clue about.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I just meant in terms of what he's showed. Sterling is one of the best in the world in his position, & if Rashford can achieve anything near that, he'd have done well for himself.

Welbeck had a pretty good start at Arsenal, then went missing for a few years. It's only now he's finally seemingly found his feet again under a new manager, at nearly 28 years old. Maybe Rashford would benefit from a new manager... I mean, that's what your fans have been saying all along, right? I just don't think that, with things how they are right now, that Rashford will reach Sterlings level, or maybe even come close to it.
Doesn't quite sit well with me suggesting Sterling is anywhere near the best in the world in his position but then there are so few actual right sided players out there the pool to compare him too really is quite short so I guess he probably is

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Sterling by a country mile. These threads are a bit jinxy. Wasnt there a Rashford or Mbappe thread last year?

Matt007a

Sterling is obviously a long way ahead of Rashford at the moment. You would expect him to be given the age of the two players. Whether Rashford will reach his level or beyond is frankly guess work.

I do think Sterling is benefiting from being under the best coach in the world. Guardiola knows how to make Sterling a better player. Not sure how much Rashford is going to learn from Mourinho about how to improve.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Did you quote me and delete it? You should just feck off man. I didnt say Rashford is written off because someone picked Sterling over Rashford, I even said in my post that Sterling is better player without any doubt. Is it too many words to process for your little brain?

Go and check Rashford's thread to see whether he is written off. Oh wait it's better to bitch about few things being a clueless poster.

Edit: And I wasn't even talking about Rashford in the post you quoted. It was about Sterling and why it's wrong to write off a young player. Sterling was written off 2 seasons ago when he struggled at City. But why waste a chance to bitch about something you have no clue about.
No, I deleted too much of your posts since I only wanted to quote your first sentence. And thanks for the suggestion but I don't think I'll feck off. Not to mention it's you who labelled a perfectly fine post as clueless in the first place as if you're superior to assess the situation, which you are clearly not. You then compared their careers when they were both 20, which is also bullshit since different players have different career trajectories. You then argued that Rashford's productivity was better than Sterling's at 20 - fine if you look at isolated stats, but you seem to forget that Rashford at almost 21 has yet to have a season as a regular in the starting XI while Sterling was a better player and one of the driving forces of a title-challenging side aged 18-19.

Even then your initial comment about writing off players was so very much bullshit since no one wrote Sterling off anyway after his first City season except for some people on a United forum, what's to be expected, so you just created your own narrative there to suggest something. If I had some more time I could probably find a few great quotes from you in the Mbappe vs Rashford thread from two seasons ago if you also went in there to protect your player of whatever the feck it is you are trying to accomplish.

roonster09

Scout
No, I deleted too much of your posts since I only wanted to quote your first sentence. And thanks for the suggestion but I don't think I'll feck off. Not to mention it's you who labelled a perfectly fine post as clueless in the first place as if you're superior to assess the situation, which you are clearly not. You then compared their careers when they were both 20, which is also bullshit since different players have different career trajectories. You then argued that Rashford's productivity was better than Sterling's at 20 - fine if you look at isolated stats, but you seem to forget that Rashford at almost 21 has yet to have a season as a regular in the starting XI while Sterling was a better player and one of the driving forces of a title-challenging side aged 18-19.
FFS, I said Sterling is easily better player. Saying that they are at different stages of their career, so always good to see how well they were doing when they were at same age. It's not hard. Different players have different career trajectories, wow we have Michael Owen on redcafe. Did you come up with that, or did someone help you type that?

I don't know whether I called some other post as clueless, but your post surely was as you don't know anything but tried to be smart arse.

Even then your initial comment about writing off players was so very much bullshit since no one wrote Sterling off anyway after his first City season except for some people on a United forum, what's to be expected, so you just created your own narrative there to suggest something. If I had some more time I could probably find a few great quotes from you in the Mbappe vs Rashford thread from two seasons ago if you also went in there to protect your player of whatever the feck it is you are trying to accomplish.
:lol: Again clueless. Go and check old sterling threads and posts on him before last season. "Trying to protect your player" :lol: whatever the feck that means. Few more words your head will explode trying to process too much information.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
FFS, I said Sterling is easily better player. Saying that they are at different stages of their career, so always good to see how well they were doing when they were at same age. It's not hard. Different players have different career trajectories, wow we have Michael Owen on redcafe. Did you come up with that, or did someone help you type that?

:lol: Again clueless. Go and check old sterling threads and posts on him before last season. "Trying to protect your player" :lol: whatever the feck that means. Few more words your head will explode trying to process too much information.
The digs are so smooth mate, keep 'em up. While you're at it, go compare Lukaku and Lewandowski between age 16-22 just to keep you busy again with something totally irrelevant.

roonster09

Scout
The digs are so smooth mate, keep 'em up. While you're at it, go compare Lukaku and Lewandowski between age 16-22 just to keep you busy again with something totally irrelevant.
It will be too much information for your brain to process, or even understand few posts.

Comparing 2 young players, 1 who is 3 years older than other, so comparing them at same ages is irrelevant :lol:

Maybe posters like you will compare Lewandowski at 20 vs Defoe at 23 and keep posting everywhere how good Defoe is.

Again to help you here, not comparing Rashford to Lewandowski or Sterling to Defoe, it's example. Is it too much, do I need to break it down to multiple posts explaining everything in detail and maybe add few images too to make it easier?

Digs? Says the guy who started the post with "Stop being such a crybaby," in reply to the post you had no clue about.

Schweigaard

Supports
Liverpool
Sterling is the obvious choice here. Proven quality. He has some annoying flaws, but his agility and speed makes him an extremely good footballer. He'll keep getting better too.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
You'll hate me for saying it, but Rashford will likely end up at a West Ham/Everton, in my opinion. He'll do well to have half the career Sterling has had so far.
Personally I agree with you, he seems overrated on here.

However my opinion is only based on my limited observations, so I'll hold my hand up there, as I could just be missing something. What I see is a limited player who has a nice shot and is fast, but lacks polish with almost every other area of his game. He's raw but that can be developed given his age.

But as it stands he hasn't impressed me like Stirling did from literally the first senior game he played.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
Also one more thread which shows why it's ridiculous to write off a young player.

in 2016-17, Sterling contributed to 13 goals in league and 5 in CL, playing around 3100 mins.
Rashford last season contributed to 12 league goals and 4 in CL playing around 2100 mins

Both contributed so almost same number of goals with Rashford playing around 1000 mins less, which itself shows we have a good talent whose contribution is good enough for a young player.
Don't think anyone is writing him off, he's just got a lot of developing and improving to do if he's ever going to get to Sterling's level. Doesn't mean he won't be a good or even very good player down the track if he doesn't reach those heights.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
Personally I agree with you, he seems overrated on here.

However my opinion is only based on my limited observations, so I'll hold my hand up there, as I could just be missing something. What I see is a limited player who has a nice shot and is fast, but lacks polish with almost every other area of his game. He's raw but that can be developed given his age.

But as it stands he hasn't impressed me like Stirling did from literally the first senior game he played.
Same. My opinion isn't the most informed, so it's to be taken with a pinch of salt as well.

roonster09

Scout
Don't think anyone is writing him off, he's just got a lot of developing and improving to do if he's ever going to get to Sterling's level. Doesn't mean he won't be a good or even very good player down the track if he doesn't reach those heights.
I mean it's bad to write off young players, which Sterling was before 2017-18 season. He was't rated as highly and he was called as average player. That post wasn't about writing off Rashford.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
I mean it's bad to write off young players, which Sterling was before 2017-18 season. He was't rated as highly and he was called as average player. That post wasn't about writing off Rashford.
Yeah it happens all too quickly. Mind you it goes both ways too - I remember watching Sterling's first ever senior appearance and he pulled this lovely lightning turn in the box and hammered a shot into the side netting, just missing the top corner, and I was in my phone messaging one of my Liverpool supporting mates claiming that this kid will be magic. Point being is it's easy to jump the gun too.

I've rated Iwobi as a top talent since he started to break through, however he struggled last season. I've read on here and even on Arsenal Forums that he's shyte and should be sold based on last season alone. Seemingly they all forgot how good he looked in his early appearances. But now he's been brilliant so far this season for us (and Nigeria over this break too). These kids just need a bit of time to develop, all three have the raw tools but need to develop upstairs to take that next step.

Ibrahimorich

Well the blueprint was there, Fergie used to counter those by playing someone like Fletcher or in latter years Jones in midfield.
Moyes tore that blueprint up day 1 pretty much :(

On topic: As much as it pains me to admit it, Sterling is streets ahead these days.

Rashford has got to seriously kick on in the next couple of years to get even close to the current level of Sterling. I'm not sure i see it personally. He lacks the ball control and movement. I'm not sure it's right to say he will be an Everton/West Ham level player but i really doubt he will be a starting forward for a top club any time soon.

Darkhorsez

A bit of an unfair ask really. On current form we could really do with Sterlingin our side. However, I really want and wish for Rashford to get his mojo back. Good sign of this based on his last appearance.

SAFMUTD

Sterling easily, they are not even close. Rashford is a good promising player but Sterling is a consolidated one. If Sterling gets better at finishing chances he will become one of the world top players, Rashford is still miles away from that. Not even a comparison between the two right now.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Sterling. He's not only the better player but more talented as well IMO. Hopefully Rashford can surpass him especially in terms of end product.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Sterling must be among the best 10 or so wide players, I reckon.

VJ1762

Well,Sterling has been playing in the first team since 2012. He has only really clicked since last season ( he had a very good 13-14 season). Still plenty of time for Rashford to surpass him.

Not fussed with player comparisons,to be honest.
What I am fussed about though is the clear fact that Rashford performs much more freely and more self assured for England than he does for his boyhood team.
Worryingly really.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Sterling. He's not only the better player but more talented as well IMO. Hopefully Rashford can surpass him especially in terms of end product.
Yep, I go along with that.
However, some context is needed here.
Sterling plays regularly in a very good first team with Very good players around him.

Interesting that (to date) he has been nothing like as good playing for England. Many have said that he is not a natural finisher. His England team mates are not as good as at City.

So much of his game is based on confidence and he has lacked that with England.

Marcus Rashford doesn't play regularly and when he does, we have to be honest that his team mates are not as good, full stop.

When he plays for England he generally looks better and his scoring record is very good.

So, I can see Marcus developing into a top class striker BUT he needs to play more regularly (I know Mourinho defends his use of him) and he sometimes needs to slow down a bit and improve his strength, control and spacial awareness.

Handré1990

Probably is, honestly :lol: Way I see it though is that Sterling was constantly getting gametime in his favoured position with attacking teams that suited his style, thus helping his development. Is Rashford getting that? If he were, I'd back him, but right now? I just think that being played the way he's being played, in a team that's pragmatic instead of pro-active... It's not the best way to nurture an up & coming attacking talent.

Which is why I feel he'll fail at the very top level, or maybe he'll just peak later than most.
I think this is pretty fair. As for the op, Sterling, without a doubt.

Stacks

Another insane thread. Sterling at 18 was better than Rashford today. Sterling was always an exceptional dribbler, great intelligent movement. Rashford is mainly fast.

el3mel

Yep, I go along with that.
However, some context is needed here.
Sterling plays regularly in a very good first team with Very good players around him.

Interesting that (to date) he has been nothing like as good playing for England. Many have said that he is not a natural finisher. His England team mates are not as good as at City.

So much of his game is based on confidence and he has lacked that with England.

Marcus Rashford doesn't play regularly and when he does, we have to be honest that his team mates are not as good, full stop.

When he plays for England he generally looks better and his scoring record is very good.

So, I can see Marcus developing into a top class striker BUT he needs to play more regularly (I know Mourinho defends his use of him) and he sometimes needs to slow down a bit and improve his strength, control and spacial awareness.
Sterling was very good for Liverpool and was part of Suarez-Sturridge-Sterling that was about to win the league even though the rest of Pool team was bang average. City wouldn't have paid 50m for him if he wasn't that good.

Rashford is decent but I honestly can never see him becoming a United starter. I think he'll mostly stay a decent and useful option on the bench but that's it.

Web of Bissaka

Rashford.

Seen enough of Sterling to have to admit he's that good and a far better option if you want to challenge competitions better on the get go.

Thing is I prefer the long term and developing players - not sure what to develop with Sterling, we've seen him play so well at Liverpool and with England at first then at City we see his best being used well by Pep in a fitting system but Rashford has plenty more rooms to grow.

I think Sterling is already very close to his full potential. We have yet to see Rashford at his consistent best nor even near his full potential at all. If I'm the manager, developing Rashford is just a lot more appealing.

Stacks

Rashford.

Seen enough of Sterling to have to admit he's that good and a far better option if you want to challenge competitions better on the get go.

Thing is I prefer the long term and developing players - not sure what to develop with Sterling, we've seen him play so well at Liverpool and with England at first then at City we see his best being used well by Pep in a fitting system but Rashford has plenty more rooms to grow.

I think Sterling is already very close to his full potential. We have yet to see Rashford at his consistent best nor even near his full potential at all. If I'm the manager, developing Rashford is just a lot more appealing.
3 years apart and you think one is fully developed at 23 years of age? Do you think Pogba and Lukaku are close to their full potential? Why Sterling? is this more wishful thinking?

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Sterling was very good for Liverpool and was part of Suarez-Sturridge-Sterling that was about to win the league even though the rest of Pool team was bang average. City wouldn't have paid 50m for him if he wasn't that good.

Rashford is decent but I honestly can never see him becoming a United starter. I think he'll mostly stay a decent and useful option on the bench but that's it.
Well let's see. Will be a big shame if you are proved to be correct.

FutbolFan

Supports
Chelsea
Sterling by a big margin. Both are top smart speedy modern day players but Sterling shows far more intelligence and awareness on the pitch and is on elite or near-elite level already.

wolvored

At the moment Sterling is the better player imo. If we had him on the right we would be 100% better in attack. Mourinho would probably drop him though for not covering the defence. You cant judge how a player will be in the future so you cant say who will be the best in 4-5 years.

Hazard Warning

Supports
Chelsea
:lol:

18 year old Sterling > Rashford’s best bits of his career combined.

Rashford won’t ever be good enough to consistently start for you lot, whilst Sterling is a key player for the favourites for the Champions League and PL record breakers.

Sorry, but Rashford is a bang average player who is fast and a local lad - that’s it.

This thread marginally more sane than the Mbappe vs Rashford one from a few years back though! ;)

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
:lol:

18 year old Sterling > Rashford’s best bits of his career combined.

Rashford won’t ever be good enough to consistently start for you lot, whilst Sterling is a key player for the favourites for the Champions League and PL record breakers.

Sorry, but Rashford is a bang average player who is fast and a local lad - that’s it.

This thread marginally more sane than the Mbappe vs Rashford one from a few years back though! ;)
Lol the way its going it will be rashford vs albrighton soon

simplyared

Rashford.

I'll go along with that 100%!