Rashford or Sterling?

Quinzaine

Jesus Christ. How is that even a question?

Sterling has had two seasons of football that Rashfprd will probably never top.

I don't think Sterling has peaked yet.

I love our player. I hate Sterling with a passion.

But you could make that equation £150m vs £50m and Sterling still wins.

Sterling has worked his tail off to maximise his raw talent. He's had dips, but every facet of his game has improved in the last 3-4 years. Rashford... lacks something. He should be making himself undeniable to Jose. He's not even close.
Absolutely this.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Here's the thing...Sterling has played for Liverpool and now City. I absolutely hate the guy. However, even with all the wingers that Pep has brought into City, Sterling is still in his best 11. I hate to admit it, but Sterling is a better player than Rashford. Which one would I take? That's a different story. Sterling is a mercinary while Rashford grew up a United fan. You can't buy that. So for me, even though Sterling is the better player (for now), I'd take Rashford over him in a heart beat...

Andrew Wolf

Supports
Manchester City
Here's the thing...Sterling has played for Liverpool and now City. I absolutely hate the guy. However, even with all the wingers that Pep has brought into City, Sterling is still in his best 11. I hate to admit it, but Sterling is a better player than Rashford. Which one would I take? That's a different story. Sterling is a mercinary while Rashford grew up a United fan. You can't buy that. So for me, even though Sterling is the better player (for now), I'd take Rashford over him in a heart beat...
A mercenary? Why? Because he had the temerity to leave the history boys where he'd have won the sum total of nothing? Don't believe everything that's fed out of that club and that city

TheLiverBird

Sterling every time as it stands

He's proven himself at the highest of levels being a major cog in a Title winning team and he's still only 23

Talk about Rashford being able to surpass Sterlings abilities is very premature seeing as Sterling hasn't even reach his full potential yet

Sterling is proven, Rashford is way off

All that said, he's a fantastic talent is Rashford, a really good player at 20 years of age, nurtured correctly and he could be something thats for sure, will this happen for him at United though?

NJM78

Sterling, much better player now. I even think he was better than Rashford when he was 20. Not to shit on our own player but I do think Rashford is slightly overrated and I do not believe he will turn into a great player. Hope I am wrong of course.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
A mercenary? Why? Because he had the temerity to leave the history boys where he'd have won the sum total of nothing? Don't believe everything that's fed out of that club and that city
Yes. That's exactly why. He was on a team on the up but left for more money. Rashford would never leave United for contract reasons...

GailSpaceWynand

Yes, I signed up with this name.
Sterling.

I don't know why but fans tend to over-estimate young players a lot (FM, maybe?) Why start threads like this? Why compare an almost-there player to somebody who's just begun? Anyway - I haven't seen Rashford show the kind of impact I was expecting after his first 2-3 months (goals on so many debuts) - he may someday be a Kane - Clinical brilliance with stats to back it up - but not there now and seems to be declining.

dumb thread. I love Rashford but Id never buy him over a Sterling
It's the sort of thing that would end up in other fans' versions of the RAWK thread to be fair. Nobody thinks Rashford is better, unless viewing it through ultra bright, fire red spectacles.

Andrew Wolf

Supports
Manchester City
Yes. That's exactly why. He was on a team on the up but left for more money. Rashford would never leave United for contract reasons...
A team on the up who then sacked their manager 2 months into the season. A manager who, although he played a big part in his development and rise, openly hung him out to dry in 'Being Liverpool' and did the same again when contract negotiations broke down.

That team on the up had also sold their best player a year earlier and had Coutinho looking for a move. The summer they sold him they signed Benteke and Ings and then Milner on a free.

In conclusion, they weren't on the up until the October of that year when Klopp took over. And they've still yet to win a pot. He made a footballing decision and got a payrise too. He's also won 3 trophies in 3 years which isn't too bad. Interested how all the above makes him a mercenary.

Rashford may not leave for contract reasons, but Rashford probably loves United because they're his hometown club. Sterling was poached by Liverpool from QPR. He's hardly going to have the same affinity

meamth

Rashford, because he is made in Manchester and probably will stay with us longer if he fulfill his potential.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
A team on the up who then sacked their manager 2 months into the season. A manager who, although he played a big part in his development and rise, openly hung him out to dry in 'Being Liverpool' and did the same again when contract negotiations broke down.

That team on the up had also sold their best player a year earlier and had Coutinho looking for a move. The summer they sold him they signed Benteke and Ings and then Milner on a free.

In conclusion, they weren't on the up until the October of that year when Klopp took over. And they've still yet to win a pot. He made a footballing decision and got a payrise too. He's also won 3 trophies in 3 years which isn't too bad. Interested how all the above makes him a mercenary.

Rashford may not leave for contract reasons, but Rashford probably loves United because they're his hometown club. Sterling was poached by Liverpool from QPR. He's hardly going to have the same affinity
Which is why I prefer to keep Rashford rather than having Sterling. You obviously disagree with me. And that's fine. I'm not trying to change your mind but not about to change mine...

Enigma_87

You know who
As of now Sterling unfortunately and by a good margin.

Of course Rashford is still young but needs to up his game to reach Sterling level this and especially last year.

Skills

Snitch
Sterling.

But he's also playing for the best attacking manager in the world, and rashford is playing for one of the most clueless attacking managers in the league.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
The "worrying" things are, Sterling is also a hardworker and rarely injured. These two traits would take good player even further in development.

It will take a special effort from Rashford, and also a suitable attacking team style, to surpass Sterling.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
Sorry but that’s a load of horseface poo
I gave my reasoning why in a later post. If he continues to "develop" in a pragmatic system, often played out of position & sometimes struggling to get minutes, he's not going to fulfill his potential. Sterling was managed & blooded in by an ultra-aggressive Rodgers system playing with high quality attacking players before moving to City & taking it up a notch even further. Rashford is being managed by an ultra-passive manager with teammates devoid of confidence.

It's not that I don't think the kid is talented (as he obviously is), but I don't think he's shown the promise that Sterling did, and what he has shown is going to be held back by Mourinho. Sterling had the perfect platform to develop as a teenage forward player. Rashford simply doesn't.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I gave my reasoning why in a later post. If he continues to "develop" in a pragmatic system, often played out of position & sometimes struggling to get minutes, he's not going to fulfill his potential. Sterling was managed & blooded in by an ultra-aggressive Rodgers system playing with high quality attacking players before moving to City & taking it up a notch even further. Rashford is being managed by an ultra-passive manager with teammates devoid of confidence.

It's not that I don't think the kid is talented (as he obviously is), but I don't think he's shown the promise that Sterling did, and what he has shown is going to be held back by Mourinho. Sterling had the perfect platform to develop as a teenage forward player. Rashford simply doesn't.
Mourinho won’t be there forever and even if he was, Rashford is still a cut above the teams you mentioned

simplyared

dumb thread. I love Rashford but Id never buy him over a Sterling
In what way is this thread dumb? Many posters going for Sterling which isn't surprising. However Rashford is still an unknown quantity imo. I'm convinced we're not seeing the best of him in the current set up at OT. We're talking potential here and what you believe he's capable of. So how can you be so sure you would never buy him over Sterling?
Don't get the dumb thread bit. They are both similar regarding playing style; 2 young players both at top clubs and playing for their country; Yes Sterling may have come further in his development, consequently the bigger price tag. That said Rashford is 3 yrs his junior. Fair comparison in my mind!

Last edited:

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
The problem is that we don't know exactly if Rashford will ever truly develop or if he's even a good player. He gets himself into good positions for his age, and he's definitely up to the challenge physically. His big flaws are his finishing and overall football IQ, both are normal signs of a young player, but the lack of progress over the last couple of years is potentially worrying but he is still young right now so it's just a potential negative.

Obviously, Sterling takes it for me without a question, but the fact that these threads get posted (along with Rashford vs Mbappe) shows that there is a segment of the Caf that really overrates Rashford or even the possibility of him reaching his potential. I think people need to cool off on the kid, because right now it's really 50/50 if he will truly come good on his perceived potential.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
In what way is this thread dumb? Many posters going for Sterling which isn't surprising. However Rashford is still an unknown quantity imo. I'm convinced we're not seeing the best of him in the current set up at OT. We're talking potential here and what you believe he's capable of. So how can you be so sure you would never buy him over Sterling?
Don't get the dumb thread bit. They are both similar regarding playing style; 2 young players both at top clubs and playing for their country; Yes Sterling may have come further in his development, consequently the bigger price tag. That said Rashford is 3 yrs his junior. Fair comparison in my mind!
Its a none starter because not only is Sterling so much better even now. At Rashford's age he was doing far better at a club of similar size. Yet Sterling is still is a long way of his peak.

Id rather watch Rashford develop in peace than make this comparison which currently is unfair to him. If he fulfills his potential he may turn out the superior player. But now any comparison is just laughable

Last edited:

Finn MacCool

Supports
Liverpool
Can't make up my mind about Rashford. Sometimes he looks incredible and basically unplayable but other times he looks so far out of his depth at Utd. He's still very young and not helped by Jose' style of play. Will be interesting to see how he progresses if Utd's next boss is more attack minded. I expect him to improve a lot if given a bit more freedom.

Right now its Sterling by a distance and he still has room to improve. Shame he left us and in the circumstances he did but I put it more down to his agent than the player. Happy that he always has a stinker every time he comes back to Anfield.

Denis_unwise

Sterling has had a huge amount of game time over the last few years compared to Rashford. He's also been playing in more attacking systems. Rashford did well under LVG. He has been unable to push on due to the arrival of Jose which has resulted in him being benched for Ibra & Lukaku. If you put Sterling in a LVG or Jose set up, with limited playing time, he would struggle just the same. Impossible to compare the players as Stirling has been given a fair chance whereas Rashford hasn't.

Red00012

How about compare rashford with someone who’s at the same level with him like Callum Wilson or someone , he wouldn’t lace sterling boots at the moment.

Hazard Warning

Supports
Chelsea
Mourinho won’t be there forever and even if he was, Rashford is still a cut above the teams you mentioned
In what way is Rashford a “cut above” Everton or West Ham?

Wide forwards who play for the 2 clubs you mentioned: Walcott, Richarlison, Yarmalenko & Felipe Anderson. I’d have 3 of those ahead of Rashford. The one I wouldn’t have is a really fast English prodigy whom people in this country kept going on and on about for a decade saying “wait till he reaches his potential”. How did it work out for Walcott?

Doubt the average football fan even knows the meaning of the word “potential” these days, it’s misused that often.

simplyared

The OP reads - who would you take if you were Sarri or Poch? Most posters on here are comparing the players based on their past and present situation. Sterling is playing under probably the best coach in the world right now, in a different system, surrounded by better players. That said I wouldn't be 100% sure Rashford wouldn't be capable of coming up to Sterling level if taken under the wing of Sarri or Poch. And if those 2 managers had the option of buying any of these players with their current market values, I wouldn't be too sure they would go for Sterling tbh.

Last edited:

VJ1762

Man, talks like this are way too early. Just let the kid enjoy his football. If he becomes as good as Darren Fletcher, that's a win in my book.

Kopral Jono

Sterling is an incredible talent. Rashford is also an incredible talent, but he's stagnated lately in his development as a player and thus desperately needs to improve to be at the same level as Sterling.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
He wouldn't start for any of the big six, so teams like Everton and West Ham are currently his level imo. If you say he's a cut above those teams, to me it feels like you're talking about his potential and not his actual level right now. As someone mentioned above, I don't think he's better than the likes Richarlison.

Sterling on the other hand would start for almost any of the big six, and has been a regular in the first team of two big six teams since he was two years younger than Rashford is right now.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I don't know how you can think Rashford is above West Ham and Everton when they have Yarmolenko, Felipe Anderson and Richarlison who are all better than him.
Would those players be any better than him in the United team? No
Look at Rashford playing for England, playing much better than for United. He’s constrained. Would sterling look the same player at United having to work up and down the line? Prob not. City play to his strengths. United don’t play to Rashfords strengths.

Also this thread is like ronaldo v Messi again. They’re different styles. Pointless comparison