Rashford - Playing through injury (again)

90 + 5min

To all self proclaimed doctors in here. You can play with injuries. It is not that rare and many players do as long as it is not muscular and other injuries that need resting or some kind of bigger treatment. I'm seeing some using this as a beating stick against Solskjaer is not that shocking. Agenda.

We have been through this once but needs to be said again. Managers don't decide if a player is injuried or not. It is doctors. They talk with the player and they decide if the player can be available for games. It is then up to manager to decide if this player is needed or not. Once again. Managers don't decide if a player is injuried.

When operation is needed you can decide if you need to have it immediately (with broken legs/bones) or can wait until end of season. If Rashford needs one and twitter is true, it is about choosing looking at risks and gains. Do ManUtd send him to operation table and he miss a month or more meaning we lose a player. Or does he play until end of season and get operation.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
My understanding is that there is only one match each season that some players go into without some injury - and that's the first friendly in preseason.

Point being: almost all pros are playing with some injury or another. That obviously doesn't speak to this particular case, but just having an injury doesn't mean much without context.

AgentSmith

Is Rashford not damned if he does and damned if he doesn’t in this situation?

If he has an underlying injury that affects his form, but no one knows about, he gets criticised as a result.

If his team then let’s people know about the injury, via a press release, he gets criticised as a result.

Ole is overplaying him and we have an overreliance on him. Combined with a persistent injury it explains his form spiralling. We should have more patience.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
I would imagine it's a lot more likely that United think it's not aggravating the injury more to have him playing (even if it certainly impacts his performances he's better at 80% than any other option in that position) and he wants to keep playing to help the team this and, let's be realistic, to play in the Euros in the summer.
Pretty much this. The shoulder problem isn't going to end his career but what happens with tears there, even small ones, is that a cyst develops due to the nature of the muscles.The cysts are benign as it's only fluid but it interferes with the muscle movement and tends to put pressure on the nerves. This leads to very strong pain that you feel constantly. The only cure for the cyst is rest or surgery. As Rashford is an athlete he'll need surgery because his opportunities to rest for a sufficient amount of time to allow for the cysts to heal is almost nil.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Is Rashford not damned if he does and damned if he doesn’t in this situation?

If he has an underlying injury that affects his form, but no one knows about, he gets criticised as a result.

If his team then let’s people know about the injury, via a press release, he gets criticised as a result.

Ole is overplaying him and we have an overreliance on him. Combined with a persistent injury it explains his form spiralling. We should have more patience.
I haven't read the posts here but is anyone criticising Rashford for having an injury?

AgentSmith

I haven't read the posts here but is anyone criticising Rashford for having an injury?
Not blaming Rashford for having an injury but dismissing it as a possible explanation or criticising him for having revealed the injury itself.

DoomSlayer

Some portions of the fanbase insinuate that Rashford is some sort of a PR machine player that should actually be playing in the Championship.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
He’s not a special talent, Rooney was a special talent, Mbappe is a special talent. Rashford is a good player who is unbelievably overrated in England. Nobody outside of the UK rates him as a special player. He’s just a good but very inconsistent player capable of producing great moments.

Ole has let him down, out of fear of losing his job.
Yeah, if your scale of "special" is the best talent of his generation, then yeah, he's "not special".

But I'd say being a star player at Man Utd, second in the premier league is pretty good going to be fair.

Good to hear you've done a survey of everyone outside of the UK though. Must have taken you a while.

jem

What are our options? If we've learnt anything from the last few weeks its that our attacking roster is in complete disarray and needs to be our sole focus this summer
Well not playing Rashford in a virtually meaningless second-leg against Sociedad would be a start. He could easily give him a break and go with Dan James for a few games. Sure James isn't that great but neither is Rashford when he's clearly knackered/carrying an injury. Idiotic from Ole, and I feel zero sympathy.

jem

Do you remember when he was fit in the game versus City last season where he literally sprinted past half their team and then dragged his shot wide when we were countering. He looked a good few kgs lighter then. I rarely see him and think he's 100% but maybe he needs more Rio like management if it's a continuous problem.
It's finally, I've felt that Rashford has looked noticeably slighter since the project restart.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Some portions of the fanbase insinuate that Rashford is some sort of a PR machine player that should actually be playing in the Championship.
I call them "Internet fans". Just sh!te fans who attached themselves to the club in the glory days, and have an incredibly narrow view on football and life in general.

We saw it with Lingard with the "championship" player stuff, then roll on a few months, he's playing superbly for West Ham towards the top of the league.

People don't realise there are many levels below United, just within the division.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
It's crazy that he is playing through injury yet still had minutes in that dead rubber 2nd leg Vs Sociedad.

I know Ole and his staff are infinitely more knowledgeable than myself and other United fans but surely he could've been tested, if only for that game?

Spaghetti

Mom's
He’s not a special talent, Rooney was a special talent, Mbappe is a special talent. Rashford is a good player who is unbelievably overrated in England. Nobody outside of the UK rates him as a special player. He’s just a good but very inconsistent player capable of producing great moments.

That’s not true at all. He’s highly rated in Spain and Barcelona fans would love him here.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Christ, I suffered through muscle & rotator cuff tears just doing normal life shit & it fecking sucked. This definitely plays into Rashford’s poor performances. But it’s time for the team & Rashford to be smart & rest him for a couple of matches to try to help his coming needed performances. I wouldn’t be upset at all if he didn’t start or play Sunday.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Christ, I suffered through muscle & rotator cuff tears just doing normal life shit & it fecking sucked. This definitely plays into Rashford’s poor performances. But it’s time for the team & Rashford to be smart & rest him for a couple of matches to try to help his coming needed performances. I wouldn’t be upset at all if he didn’t start or play Sunday.
Yep the worst for me was the feeling of your arm being ripped off of your body when doing something as simple as walking down the street.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Yep the worst for me was the feeling of your arm being ripped off of your body when doing something as simple as walking down the street.
And shit like hiccups, coughing, spontaneous laughter, sneezing all can fell someone at times. It could be as bad as a systemic back injury.

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
Well we have no wide players so he is first choice in 3 positions. Having to play him is on the board, playing him is on Ole.

Heinzesight

I hate all this ‘after the Euros’ bollocks. That should be of no concern to United if the rumours he needs surgery m are true. He’s paid by United so we need to do what’s best for us and make sure he’s 100% next season. I mean, he wouldn’t make the starting XI at the Euros on current form anyway.

Rashford is capable of so much better than the dross he’s serving up at the moment and we need him fit to fulfil his potential...playing half fit and delaying surgery is no good for United in the short or long term.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
It really is down to management to be smart. They really should know better. Like with Bruno, that he wants to play every minute of every game is understandable for his type of character, Rooney was the same. It doesn't mean the manager should play him all the time. That AWB, Bruno, Rashford, and Maguire are all in the top 5 for most minutes played in the league says a hell of a lot.

This was the problem last season, running them into the ground, rushing them back from injuries (including for easy games), letting them play on whilst clearly injured. Inexcusable.

Stacks

Exactly. And the apparent shoulder injury is believed to be briefed by Rashford and his PR team, the same journalist who first reported Rashford's back injury last year when he wasn't playing well.

People are citing this report as a way to give Rashford more excuses and lashes at Ole conveniently.

It's almost laughable when people discussing particular situation in a game where he was 'hurt' from a slight pull of arm as a way to determine the seriousness of his apparent injury, but ignoring the fact that challenges and reactions from players happen all the time to gain advantage on the field.

We might as well say all players are injured if we go by the players reaction every time when a tackle is made.
He actually missed games for England because of this and a few months of football. This is Pogba levels of toxicity like when posters claimed Paul was faking it so he can move in Summer.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
It really is down to management to be smart. They really should know better. Like with Bruno, that he wants to play every minute of every game is understandable for his type of character, Rooney was the same. It doesn't mean the manager should play him all the time. That AWB, Bruno, Rashford, and Maguire are all in the top 5 for most minutes played in the league says a hell of a lot.

This was the problem last season, running them into the ground, rushing them back from injuries (including for easy games), letting them play on whilst clearly injured. Inexcusable.
We’re watching & laughing at our biggest rival for fecking up this way, yet we persist with the same error. Sometimes it’s forced on us, but not every time.

I wouldn’t see how dropping Rashford for a couple of upcoming matches would hurt his Euro chance in the slightest. The team is mostly at fault here, Rashford could be a bit more pragmatic as well, he doesn’t need to play every match to be valuable to the team. His being only 80% brings more possible 3/10 & 4/10 performances into possibility. It’s going to be soon where his random quality match won’t be enough to excuse his shit performances. I’d rather a quick breather, if only Sunday. Perfect time to drop someone from an away derby, no fans. But, that’s too big of a call for management, and we will just persist with the current form or he will incur a further injury. I don’t see much of a rapid improvement from here. But, we’re basically stuck. We haven’t trusted the bodies we have behind him, don’t see a change Sunday.

RedDevil@84

If his injury needs serious hospital time, then giving him couple of games of rest is hardly going to resolve the issue. He could get hurt or strain it in the immediate next game. Not sure if Ole is to be blamed for doctors and Rashford himself deciding that they can wait till end of Euros to get it treated.

Baxter

It doesn’t matter that he’s played every game this season after a 3 week break from last, in which he also suffered a serious injury.

None of Sterling, Mane, Mahrez, Aubameyang amongst some other players that we are constantly told are world class, have scored more than him. However, he’s total shite, his attitude stinks and we should sell him. Some amount of clowns who ‘support’ United.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
To all self proclaimed doctors in here. You can play with injuries. It is not that rare and many players do as long as it is not muscular and other injuries that need resting or some kind of bigger treatment. I'm seeing some using this as a beating stick against Solskjaer is not that shocking. Agenda.

We have been through this once but needs to be said again. Managers don't decide if a player is injuried or not. It is doctors. They talk with the player and they decide if the player can be available for games. It is then up to manager to decide if this player is needed or not. Once again. Managers don't decide if a player is injuried.

When operation is needed you can decide if you need to have it immediately (with broken legs/bones) or can wait until end of season. If Rashford needs one and twitter is true, it is about choosing looking at risks and gains. Do ManUtd send him to operation table and he miss a month or more meaning we lose a player. Or does he play until end of season and get operation.
Don't expect most caf users to undestand this basic point when an agenda is much easier to say!

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
now watch every ged damn opponent is targeting his injured shoulder.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite

Well, even henry winter knows.

He needs surgery this summer. It's obvious everyone on the camp knows he's been injured. :rolleyes:

Karel Podolsky

Supports
Ex Laziale

Manchester, red part of Manchester.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Both Pogba and Ole admitted he threw Pogba straight into the starting lineup instead of letting him recuperate. And we all saw the effects of that, and how poor our midfield was at the start of the season, not to mention the absolute shit Pogba got for playing poorly in that period.

There's just no protection for the players. Look at the shit Rashford's getting right now, and he's apparently suffering with a bad shoulder which by all accounts is excruciating. If he plays poorly no protection, no being subbed. Same with Lindelof who has been complaining about his back to Swedish media.

And of course we can't forget how we lost Pogba for half of last season, when Ole brought him straight from injury to play 90 minutes vs Tranmere(??) or some other shite team. Remember him bringing Lingard on not fully fit vs Liverpool which backfired and we had to take Lingard off with Rashford having to walk around up front injured with no subs. Or him playing Maguire through injury unnecessarily vs a Championship team.

There are just so many instances of Ole taking unnecessary risks with the players' health that have been forgotten or ignored, but he still doesn't learn with each incident.
This shite again...

When it comes to injuries, we have loads of medical professionals who give their assesment, but most importantly, when it comes to pain the player themselves have to give the final verdict because its nearly impossible for someone else to make a judgement on that.

And the effects from Covid on athlethes are still largely unknown. Some have competed right after being declared healthy and been just fine, while others have struggled with decreased O2 intake months and months later

Oldyella

You blame Ole, but he wanted to sign a winget. The board have not given us the players we need.
That doesn't mean he flogs him to death though. He keeps him on in majority of games even if he's the poorest forward, plays him in Cup games when there is no need to. Manage his playing time!

Edit - If Jose was playing an injured player all the time, we would be shitting on him for risking a player by proving a point to the board. Ole shouldn't get a pass for doing the same (if the injury is as serious as the brief is saying)

manc exile

Supports
City

thats a very unpopular view on this board
its one i agree with, but be prepared for some abuse

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
thats a very unpopular view on this board
its one i agree with, but be prepared for some abuse
Any post that isn’t blindly optimistic & borderline deluded about the current state of the club is met with vitriol by most on here. To the majority on here sentiment is more important than winning.

I never even said he wasn’t a good player, I literally just said he wasn’t a special talent. Could we win a league title with him as a regular starter? I think so yes. Could we win a league title with him as one of our best players? No, I really don’t believe we can. He needs players better than him around him if we want to progress.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser

Thats not true and there has been evidence from outside of the UK to prove this. Tuchel whilst at PSG even mentioned it recently. Although I do believe he is somewhat overrated. He is clearly more than a good player.

On the part about inconsistency and great moments. That happens with quite a few excellent players at his age and especially with serious injuries (like his back)

Deery

Dreary
You blame Ole, but he wanted to sign a winget. The board have not given us the players we need.
It’s got absolutely nothing to do with the board if Rashford ends up permanently carrying an injury that’s on Ole, we’ve got James, Amad, Mata and Martial who can come in for Rashford. Don’t tell me because we didn’t sign a £120m player we have to play an injured one that’s not management. If KDB is injured he’s rotated with players not as good as him you don’t risk you best players like this it’s simple man management.

Last edited:

MattofManchester

We've had this nonsense before with him and Pogba. You could say Lindelof as well.

Surely someone at the club needs to sort this debacle out.