Rashford - Playing through injury (again)

Coops73

I’ve said a few times I thought I could see some strapping around his shoulder, would explain his inconsistency of late, which begs the question, why are we continuing to play him?

Andersons Dietician

I’d imagine him playing has a lot to do with Rashford wanting to play. If it was seriously that bad he’d get surgery instead obviously feels like he can play on till after the euros and instead throw next season in to doubt Depending on recovery time.

Ole, the coaching staff and medical can only go off of what Rashford tells them on how he is coping with it. He’s most likely been advised it’s either manageable or to get surgery but in the end the decision is his.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
We've known for a while that he's had a shoulder injury and that it's been bothering him. Ole said it months ago, something like in October. He had that one random tug on it and was in loads of pain.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
I’ve said a few times I thought I could see some strapping around his shoulder, would explain his inconsistency of late, which begs the question, why are we continuing to play him?
What are our options? If we've learnt anything from the last few weeks its that our attacking roster is in complete disarray and needs to be our sole focus this summer

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He’s not a special talent, Rooney was a special talent, Mbappe is a special talent. Rashford is a good player who is unbelievably overrated in England. Nobody outside of the UK rates him as a special player. He’s just a good but very inconsistent player capable of producing great moments.

Ole has let him down, out of fear of losing his job.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
What are our options? If we've learnt anything from the last few weeks its that our attacking roster is in complete disarray and needs to be our sole focus this summer
Exactly I wish people would engage their brains a bit before they say shit like 'why are we playing him then'

What other choices do we have? You can guarantee these same people who are saying don't play him are the same that want the likes of James and Lingard sold

charlenefan

He’s not a special talent, Rooney was a special talent, Mbappe is a special talent. Rashford is a good player who is unbelievably overrated in England. Nobody outside of the UK rates him as a special player. He’s just a good but very inconsistent player capable of producing great moments.
Well that's obviously rubbish as both Barca and PSG have enquired about buying him over the past 2 years

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Well that's obviously rubbish as both Barca and PSG have enquired about buying him over the past 2 years
Nonsense. He’d get nowhere near their starting elevens.

You won’t see anyone from outside the UK calling Rashford a special talent. Rooney was, Scholes was, young Owen was, Rashford just isn’t.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Says all you need to know about Ole's confidence in the others forward then. Rashford has really been poor for the last few months and now we know why. A lot of us did say it was probably injury related as he's not even running the same as he was. Now we hear he's having to pull out of 50/50's too.

If he needs an operation then just have it now. Hopefully he can come back before end of season and if not will be back to his best for next season. Allowing him to play on when he's clearly not right is just stupid.

VivaObertan

Transfer Voyeur
You've literally just made something up to support your argument.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Taking a thread off topic
You've literally just made something up to support your argument.
So Rashford is rated as a special footballer by non-United fans outside of England? Emphasis on the word special. Being special & being good, or even great, are very different things. Marcus Rashford doesn’t have the fundamentals of a special talent. He’s a good player, who can be great, and can be awful. He’s never been a special talent. Never even been close.

rotherham_red

Because Martial has fallen off a cliff and Greenwood is still having the usual 2nd season dip. Rashford has been the one consistent player we've had in attack all season along with Bruno. We are in a results business and if we hadn't played him, we'd be languishing in midtable right now, and Ole would be out of a job.

Also makes it plain to see why we wanted Sancho, and why it is such a colossal feck up that we didn't.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
If this is true, then its absolutely crazy he would come on for 45 minutes against Sociedad...

Surely we'd be resting him at every given opportunity? Or is it a shoulder injury that definitely can't get worse or something?

rotherham_red

Exactly I wish people would engage their brains a bit before they say shit like 'why are we playing him then'

What other choices do we have? You can guarantee these same people who are saying don't play him are the same that want the likes of James and Lingard sold
Spot on. I explained that in my post, but honestly it shouldn't even need to be said.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?

You won’t see anyone from outside the UK calling Rashford a special talent. Rooney was, Scholes was, young Owen was, Rashford just isn’t.
A fit and injury free Rashford walks into that Barca team. Have you actually watched them this season? Messi clearly still a genius but none of their other forwards are that good and they don't put the numbers up that Rashy does either.

Greizmann is a shadow of the player he was. Defenders would much rather face him than Rashford. Dembele isn't that special either. He's no better than Rashford.

Rashford has 18 goals in 42
Greiezmann has 11 goals in 33
Dembele has 8 goals in 31

Deery

Dreary
Ole’s going to wreak this lad played him with a fracture in his back now an injury to his shoulder, not good man management that.

rotherham_red

If this is true, then its absolutely crazy he would come on for 45 minutes against Sociedad...

Surely we'd be resting him at every given opportunity? Or is it a shoulder injury that definitely can't get worse or something?
Considering he's been playing with it since September/October, I'd suggest it's the latter, though it's probably more of a pain management thing than anything chronic.

The Sociedad one is the only egregious inclusion, otherwise I can understand why he's been picked in every game that he has been and we've rested him when we can. The problem is that we look absolutely clueless when either or both he and Bruno aren't on the pitch. If Martial's form hadn't fallen off a cliff, I'd hope we would have been able to rest him more, but it wasn't to be.

Apokalips

Exactly, if it were that serious then he would never be brought on in such a dead rubber. Players play through injuries all the time and there are probably many of the squad doing so. This shoulder issue is probably a problem for him in some ways but is a flimsy excuse for his poor form.

RORY65

Wasn't Maguire playing with an injury when he was picked for an FA Cup tie against Tranmere which we won 6-0? It's not a good habit to be getting into.

OleTheGreat

I don't know how much of a special talent he is. He just sometimes runs into defenders, sometimes into 3-4 defenders even if there is no wiggle room to run into. His ball control is often 50-50. His ability to sometimes come up with some brilliant moments is the only reason he's still in this team. The man has talents to the infinity level but still needs to work on a lot of things. He's still young and I'm sure he will get the recognition he deserves in his later years if he keeps learning and producing. He's just as capable as Rooney because they can both score even on off days and Rooney did have a few stinkers in the United shirt but that was often masked by the players around him which frankly Rashford lacks.

spiriticon

Jesus wept. Ole needs to stop playing Rashford with an injury or the lad will have to retire before he's 30.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Resting can do wonders to him and the team. Both are way too shit now.

Lee565

This was the same story under Mourinho where he ran players into the ground and we saw their form and our results suffer for it, it is funny how many of the same negatives ole has in common with our past failed managers but gets an easier ride despite 0 trophies and a complete lack of identity on the pitch.

GlasgowCeltic

The more time passes the worse the last summer window looks

This story definitely makes sense though, the idea he'd suddenly become miserable lazy and disinterested playing for his boyhood club just seemed completely against his character.

Last edited:

RedRoach

This is nonsense, I live in Spain and the Spanish commentators on DAZN and Movistar are always raving about how good Rashford is and recognise him and Bruno as our best players.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic

Correct.

That said, he is still United's 2nd most indispensable player at the moment.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I’d imagine him playing has a lot to do with Rashford wanting to play. If it was seriously that bad he’d get surgery instead obviously feels like he can play on till after the euros and instead throw next season in to doubt Depending on recovery time.

Ole, the coaching staff and medical can only go off of what Rashford tells them on how he is coping with it. He’s most likely been advised it’s either manageable or to get surgery but in the end the decision is his.
Err no.

If the doc says no go then the player would have to listen to the authority.

If ole thinks he's not fit and tells him not to play he's not playing.

This is not a democracy

Coops73

They’re not overly obvious to me and you’re right our attacking options aren’t great but then I’m not the manager of Manchester United.

If a player is playing poorly and suffering with an injury which is not helping and contributing to that poor form then surely you have to try and find an alternative within your squad and that can take risky and brave decisions but that’s what football managers are paid to do and I don’t want that sound like I’m digging out Ole, he has a difficult job on his hands, but he needs to find a way of addressing a very obvious problem.

Coops73

Because Martial has fallen off a cliff and Greenwood is still having the usual 2nd season dip. Rashford has been the one consistent player we've had in attack all season along with Bruno. We are in a results business and if we hadn't played him, we'd be languishing in midtable right now, and Ole would be out of a job.

Also makes it plain to see why we wanted Sancho, and why it is such a colossal feck up that we didn't.
Agreed but Woody and Judge sort that sort of thing out so there is that.

RedRoach

Correct.

That said, he is still United's 2nd most indispensable player at the moment.
In the last two games two different sets of Spanish commentators came to the same conclusion that if Bruno and/or Rashford don’t show up we are fecked.

That is essentially the problem with the team beyond these to all the others including James, Martial, Cavani and Greenwood simply aren’t delivering

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
They’re not overly obvious to me and you’re right our attacking options aren’t great but then I’m not the manager of Manchester United.

If a player is playing poorly and suffering with an injury which is not helping and contributing to that poor form then surely you have to try and find an alternative within your squad and that can take risky and brave decisions but that’s what football managers are paid to do and I don’t want that sound like I’m digging out Ole, he has a difficult job on his hands, but he needs to find a way of addressing a very obvious problem.
Its an impossible position to be in. What do you think would happen if he decided that City this weekend was an almost certain defeat, and so he gave 5 or 6 senior players the day off? Or alternatively played a 2nd string side in the Europa matches against Milan?

You're on the cafe, and you read the media. Do you think we have a collective fanbase that would be understanding of either of those decisions, and see the wider picture? We both know the answer to that.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
It's not the straw that broke the camel's back of course, but even more idiotic to play 45 minutes v Sociedad in that case.

When you're carrying an injury, any rest is good and that was an opportunity to be on the sofa at home managing the risk so he could play Chelsea on Sunday in as best physical condition as he could be.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
In the last two games two different sets of Spanish commentators came to the same conclusion that if Bruno and/or Rashford don’t show up we are fecked.

That is essentially the problem with the team beyond these to all the others including James, Martial, Cavani and Greenwood simply aren’t delivering
Agreed. They are really the only two guys who seem to be able to create chances on their own or win matches for you.

If Pogba's playing that eases some of the burden, but then again he's usually forced in to deeper double-pivot role which doesn't help.

Neither does the complete lack of any creative influencer down the right-hand side at the moment.

There's been a big debate about is it coaching or personnel this week - for me it's both. United could definitely do with more players who can create chances, but then again they could also be coached in a way where there's less emphasis on individual moments IMO.

RUCK4444

He’s not a Rooney level talent, who is other than Haaland or Mbappe? That said he’s already scored more than Cantona for the club and at a very young age.

I think in the main he is actually underrated by our own fans. Which is nothing to be surprised about

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
We may as well put him through surgery now, his impact on games are getting worse, and it won't be good for him in the future if he continues this.

He'll end up like Torres, constantly playing through injuries that ended up ruining him while he was at Liverpool.

charlenefan

Well it's widely reported that it's not nonsense so you continue to live with your fingers in your ears then

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Isn't that a common thing that footballers play through minor injury (in a way only half of them are fully injury-free)? If it was something major than he surely wouldn't be there, it's not up to manager but to medical staff. Plus, it says he "might" need an operation so we don't know if it's 80/20 or 20/80.

Coops73

Its an impossible position to be in. What do you think would happen if he decided that City this weekend was an almost certain defeat, and so he gave 5 or 6 senior players the day off? Or alternatively played a 2nd string side in the Europa matches against Milan?

You're on the cafe, and you read the media. Do you think we have a collective fanbase that would be understanding of either of those decisions, and see the wider picture? We both know the answer to that.
True but we’re not talking about 5-6 players and like I said it takes a brave manager to make those decisions, maybe Ole really doesn’t see an alternative when he sees the players in training or maybe he’s scared to make those decisions based on how it will affect his own aspirations if it all goes tits up but you can’t be swayed by press or fans in your decision making because you really will be on a hiding to nothing.

tomaldinho1

Do you remember when he was fit in the game versus City last season where he literally sprinted past half their team and then dragged his shot wide when we were countering. He looked a good few kgs lighter then. I rarely see him and think he's 100% but maybe he needs more Rio like management if it's a continuous problem.