Rashford - Playing through injury (again)

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
And it’s all alright, because Rashford, the doctors, and Southgate say he’s fit, right? Until he breaks down with another niggling injury in a month or so and it carries on.
What’s the alternative? Players don’t just develop a fully uninjured body by sitting on sidelines for a few weeks or months.

Smores

The truth is most players carry injuries throughout the season. He'll be looking at these games as an opportunity to get goals and make progress on his international record.

It's a shame but some players care about records. Poor Bamford can't get a sniff despite an outstanding season too.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
What’s the alternative? Players don’t just develop a fully uninjured body by sitting on sidelines for a few weeks or months.
It sure lets the body heal a bit, though. It’s that, or watch performances like first half of Milan away where Rashford broke into a sprint about 3 times in 45 minutes.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
At least if he chooses to go and play against San Marino, Albania et al. all this 'playing injured' stuff goes out the window.

He might be playing hurt, I imagine half the team are at this point in the season, but if he goes away on England duty he's certainly not playing with an injury. There's a big, big difference.
Does this 'playing injured' stuff goes out of window now? When most of the reports are saying Rashford has ankle injury and a major doubt for the game, he is still doing only gym work and all that?

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Think people need to realize that when it comes to something as abstract as "pain", its only so much scans, doctors and coaches can determine and really its the players themselves who decide if they can work through it or if its too much of a handicap

Rashford seems like the player who wants to play every single game. Great attitude, but also a double edged sword

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He isnt going to play for England he just want's to be there around the camp, and why not?

It's not like they'll desperately need him for San Marino.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Rashford’s management team on twitter:

Judas

Open to offers
It's painfully obvious he's not healthy. I just hope this playing through injury, which lots of athletes do, doesn't cause longterm damage. The fact he's still one of our key and most influential players says a lot about his ability.

crossy1686

career ending
It's painfully obvious he's not healthy. I just hope this playing through injury, which lots of athletes do, doesn't cause longterm damage. The fact he's still one of our key and most influential players says a lot about his ability.
I'd love a fully fit Rashford for August, I'm kind of hoping he sits the Euro's out. If we had another wide outlet as effective as him we could afford to rest him, such a shame.

Chairman Steve

If hes been playing with injuries for two years then bite the bullet, take the surgery, miss the Euros and thank yourself lucky that the World Cup is next year.

Otherwise this is shit management on his behalf.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
It seems to be soft tissue injuries through which he is persisting. If so, this doesn’t bode well for his longevity.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
If hes been playing with injuries for two years then bite the bullet, take the surgery, miss the Euros and thank yourself lucky that the World Cup is next year.

Otherwise this is shit management on his behalf.
It’s also a criticism that can be leveled on the player & his handlers, not shutting it down for his own benefit (& tangentially, the club’s). It might be time for some tough, mature decisions made by all parties & shutting him down for good to fully heal.

He'sRaldo

After a season where both Rashford and Utd came away with absolutely nothing and it ended on such a poor note for both parties, exactly what was the point playing him every minute through multiple injuries?

I still maintain Ole seems to manage injuries poorly, and this particular episode has resulted in a lot of stick towards Rashford when really he shouldn't have been put in that sort of situation.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
After a season where both Rashford and Utd came away with absolutely nothing and it ended on such a poor note for both parties, exactly what was the point playing him every minute through multiple injuries?

I still maintain Ole seems to manage injuries poorly, and this particular episode has resulted in a lot of stick towards Rashford when really he shouldn't have been put in that sort of situation.
ask your parents to explain hindsight to you

He'sRaldo

ask your parents to explain hindsight to you
Hindsight changes nothing.

We were never going to win the league or CL, and if Ole needs to play an injured Rashford every minute to get top 4 and win Europa, then god help us.

Flytan

Hindsight changes nothing.

We were never going to win the league or CL, and if Ole needs to play an injured Rashford every minute to get top 4 and win Europa, then god help us.
It's the same with Bruno. Our players looked legit dead in the last few weeks of the season, the same way they always do at the end of the season since ole got here. Rashford needed surgery and instead of getting it, he played through it. Ole needs to rotate players or it'll just end up being the same every year

thundercats

I think it was a pretty bad decision by Rashford himself to continue playing while injured under the pretext of being there for the team. He continued playing to get selected for the Euros which was also a bad call because it meant he would only get a surgery after the Euros. So now he misses a fair chunk of games while he should have chosen surgery already in April. The league was in its final stages, Utd was pretty much secured of top 4, we could have missed him then. We can't miss him at the start of next season. Utd should opt for a title run, every point counts and I believe without Rashford for 10 games Utd will lose points and fall behind in the title race early on. I know the season is long but take into account how much points you need for a title win and then you realize every lost point is in fact quite dramatic.

It is not unfair to say he decided for himself and not for the sake of the team to opt for the Euros which sadly for him and England fans didn't work out fine. It is incomprehensible in my opinion for one main reason. There is a world cup next year. He could have reasoned logically and say "okay so I miss the euros but there is a world cup around the corner, England need a good Rashford not a half Rashford at the current euros so I will get my surgery now and not after the Euros." "This will also be good for Utd and the fans title ambitions next season".
What did he gain for playing months with an injury? His season ended in failure and he didn't play at the Euros.

So in conclusion every decision he made was wrong in my opinion. He wasn't at his best at the Euros which he could have seen coming judged by his final months at Utd and now he misses the vital start of the next season which could see utd fall behind early on. I fear Utd still isn't mentally challenging for the title, we still have the top 4 mentality.

Reactions: Sultan