Rashford probably needs to leave - Jamie Redknapp

simplyared

I don't understand this criticism really. Technical ability and workrate are not contradictory to each other. He is not sacrificing other aspects of his game to just run more. Players like Bernardo Silva, Dele Alli, De Bruyne, etc have become better players since they upped their workrate.
Yeah but he's making insane runs which not all of them result in anything. Alli, for example, doesn't go to those sort of limits. In fact none of those players you name come up to the speed and intensity that Rashford does.

Last edited:

deafepl

Y

Yeah but he's making insane runs which not all of them result in anything. Alli, for example, doesn't go to those sort of limits. In fact none of those players you name come up to the speed and intensity that Rashford does.
Increasing work rate of pressing and try to win second balls back and make more run off the ball and movement off the ball, will make the player better, that's why Rashford get many chances and able to create chances, Lukaku doesn't get same amounts of chances as Rashford and has fewer touches and don't have same work rate as Rashford.

Chabon

I've just noticed something pretty uncanny when looking at Rashford's stats and felt the need to share it, and this seems the only place anyone might care. We've all heard Rashford get compared to Welbeck, and Rashford has now made the same number of PL appearances as Welbeck did for us, and scored the exact same number of goals. But it gets weirder when you look at the detailed breakdown:

Rashford:

Welbeck:

53 starts, 39 subs, 20 goals, 13 assists: the exact same record. Obviously position comes into it, so, I checked that too: Welbeck started 30 games as a CF, whereas Rashford has started 28 games as a CF.

And yeah, the fact that I clearly noticed this because I know Welbeck's goalscoring record for us off the top of my head hopefully means people understand I don't intend this as a criticism, I just think it's both uncanny and quite revealing.

PepsiCola

I've just noticed something pretty uncanny when looking at Rashford's stats and felt the need to share it, and this seems the only place anyone might care. We've all heard Rashford get compared to Welbeck, and Rashford has now made the same number of PL appearances as Welbeck did for us, and scored the exact same number of goals. But it gets weirder when you look at the detailed breakdown:

Rashford:

Welbeck:

53 starts, 39 subs, 20 goals, 13 assists: the exact same record. Obviously position comes into it, so, I checked that too: Welbeck started 30 games as a CF, whereas Rashford has started 28 games as a CF.

And yeah, the fact that I clearly noticed this because I know Welbeck's goalscoring record for us off the top of my head hopefully means people understand I don't intend this as a criticism, I just think it's both uncanny and quite revealing.
Welbeck played in a functioning football team, under a great manager.

Rashford has not.

68Guns

Rashers is just a runner and an impact sub for a late goal. He's never in a million years a 90 minute starter here at Old T.
His finishing is absolutely shocking, Andy Cole used to miss plenty of sitters (that's why King Eric hung up his boots) but Rashers misses are unbelieveable.
I'd not miss him if we got good money for him hes only a squad player.
Get rid I say.

Reiliano

Rashers is just a runner and an impact sub for a late goal. He's never in a million years a 90 minute starter here at Old T.
His finishing is absolutely shocking, Andy Cole used to miss plenty of sitters (that's why King Eric hung up his boots) but Rashers misses are unbelieveable.
Get rid I say.
Where would I even start with this.

Cantona retired because of Cole missing sitters, I've heard it all now

marko goalo

Get rid I say.
Sorry mate I can't agree with you. He's the only decent player we have in and around the 1st team except for Dave. He's the last player i'd want to see the back of. Pretty much everyone else can go before he does.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chairman Steve

I’d give him another chance under a different manager, ideally a manager who’s pro-youth and pro-attacking. He certainly looked more assured in front of goal under LVG, who gave him a chance and kept him in the team, even though it wasn’t the most elaborate attack going.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
"I just feel for people like Marcus Rashford. They go down the pecking order and he's probably thinking where do I fit in now, said Redknapp.

"Part of the Premier League is having these players but I just feel sorry when someone like Marcus Rashford is going to be thinking 'this is another pathway blocked for me.'

"He might have to go in the end. It doesn't help your confidence. Every time you are training you think 'I'm not going to play on Saturday'.

"He probably needs to go and play football somewhere.

"It is a shame but that's modern day football and that's why it's so hard for young British players to get opportunities."
We should have listened to Jamie :(

Vooon

Hal Institute for Criminally Insane Robots
Get rid I say.
HAhahaa, what the actual feck! :lol::lol::lol:

RedDevil@84

Get rid I say.
Please tell me that this post got him banned :D

Skills

Snitch
I can't believe he's only just turned 21. Hoping gets the time and correct coaching to help mould his game and development over the next few years because his potential is sky high.

Bwuk

I can understand Redknapps point. Not that I agree with him.

If Jose had stayed, would Rashford ever of got an extended run at #9? We’d always play Lukaku ahead of him, and our system wasn’t fluid enough for him to interchange.

If Rashford keeps this form up he can’t be dropped from #9.

Longjohnson Shagwell

Get rid I say.
I dont agree at all. He is young and who is to say his finishing cant improve with more experience as an out and out striker. He has dribbling ability, pace and is intelligent. Sometimes I would much prefer him to Lukaku

Last edited by a moderator:

Smores

If Jose had stayed, would Rashford ever of got an extended run at #9? We’d always play Lukaku ahead of him, and our system wasn’t fluid enough for him to interchange.

It'll be interesting to see if Ole does reinstate Lukaku or Sanchez first choice. It'll almost be a defining decision.

I still think Rashford's game isn't quite mature enough to carry us to titles but whilst he's in this good form he shouldn't be dropped.

He'lmurderyah15

Get rid I say.
haha

-Supreme-

It'll be interesting to see if Ole does reinstate Lukaku or Sanchez first choice. It'll almost be a defining decision.

I still think Rashford's game isn't quite mature enough to carry us to titles but whilst he's in this good form he shouldn't be dropped.
100% this, I'd rotate him and Lukaku as number 9...both should get decent amount of matches throughout the entire season, similar to how Pep has been doing with Aguero & Jesus

I'm hoping Sanchez can be effective on the wide right. If not, I'd also try him as a 9 and see how he performs comparing with Lukaku and then make a decision to sell one or the other in the summer.

Steerpike

Ole is in the happy position of being able to select purely on the basis of performances and tactics: he doesn't have to favour anyone to justify previous transfer decisions. Rashford will be in the side while he is fit and playing well.

I expect the selection for Reading to be interesting with a few players given the chance to press their claims for a spot in the first choice XI.

Dante

Average bang

Jose was from the school of thought that you have a settled first XI, and the rest of the squad is there to help in case of injuries or outright tiredness.

Ole appears to be a Fergie disciple. He'll likely rotate his players week-to-week in order to keep them fresh. As such, I don't think we'll have a definitively first choice forward whether that's Rashford or Lukaku or Sanchez.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout

He said this fairly soon after Sanchez arrived and everyone assumed he'd be an automatic starter for us.

Reality is that Sanchez has been mediocre and injured so it's not affected Rashers at all.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
Jose was from the school of thought that you have a settled first XI, and the rest of the squad is there to help in case of injuries or outright tiredness.

Ole appears to be a Fergie disciple. He'll likely rotate his players week-to-week in order to keep them fresh. As such, I don't think we'll have a definitively first choice forward whether that's Rashford or Lukaku or Sanchez.
Eh?

You never knew who, apart from his undroppable favourites, he was going to play from one match to the next.

Red_toad

Complete claptrap, he swapped and changed the team on a match by match basis. We didn't have a settled anything other than Dave and Matic. Even Lukaku forced his hand by turning to shite toward the end of his tenure at the club. Played a part in his downfall, can't make a team by constantly rotating them.
His successful Chelsea side were exactly as you described, but certainly not at United.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
We should have listened to Jamie :(
As the great Kolarov said, we fans don't understand football. Who are we to question the like of Jamie, Merson, and Souness??

Last edited:

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff

Not while here he wasn't.

https://experimental361.com/2018/12/31/squad-usage-premier-league-31-dec-2018/

Not a single unchanged lineup this season, and the highest average number of changes to starting XI.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Jamie wasn't wrong. As long as Jose was at the club Rashford was not going to develop at all. Under Ole he has been given the freedom to play to his potential and now we can be confident he can move forward and become a great player.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
I just find it a bit rich when they criticise us for Rashford, yet you barely hear anything from the same pundits about Sancho and Hudson-Odoi.

Dante

Average bang
Not while here he wasn't.

https://experimental361.com/2018/12/31/squad-usage-premier-league-31-dec-2018/

Not a single unchanged lineup this season, and the highest average number of changes to starting XI.
I'm not going to try and argue against the statistcics. But that data illustrates a slightly different point to the one I was trying (and obviously failed) to make.

Jose made a lot changes, but they were mostly 'forced' on him: injuries, personality clashes, players not following instructions, players not playing through injury, players liking Instagram posts, etc. etc.

Throughout his career Mourinho liked a settle side and only swithced things up if something went drastically wrong. It was the same at United, where Lukaku played for months on end, or Martial played for consecutive weeks, or Herrera seemed undropped for a while. Then those players stopped doing things exactly as the manager wanted so a new man came in for a string of games. There was never a clear strategy to maintaining squad cohesion or individual freshness.

My point was specifically about rotation in order to keep players fit and happy. In a discussion about keeping individuals content, I was talking about the management of Rashford, Lukaku and Sanchez in the following contex:

Ole will give each of them strategically planned minutes to maintain their morale over periods of time (much like Fergie famously performed the balancing act with him, Yorke, Cole and Sheringham). But Solksjaer won't necessarily have a 'first choice'. By contrast, Jose did have first choices, however short or long those players were able to nail down their starting berths.

Hopefully you can see what I'm saying.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
I just find it a bit rich when they criticise us for Rashford, yet you barely hear anything from the same pundits about Sancho and Hudson-Odoi.
Exactly. While the likes of city and Chelsea receive plaudits for their youth systems, despite rarely bringing their own talent through, our young players - who've played loads of football - should leave to get more minutes. It's totally nonsensical.

Jeffthered

Get rid I say.
If you can't see the player in Rashford, then I don't really know how to even begin to respond. 'Rashford is just a runner..'. What a bizarre statement.

He is an important player, a very important player for our club. Ahead of anyone else across our attacking line, and he has earned that by merit. I love that.

If you can't see the player in Rashford, then I don't really know how to even begin to respond. 'Rashford is just a runner..'. What a bizarre statement.

He is an important player, a very important player for our club. Ahead of anyone else across our attacking line, and he has earned that by merit. I love that.
The post you quoted is.one of the worst I've seen in a long time.

R'hllor

As the great Kolarov said, we fans don't understand football. Who are we to question the like of Jamie, Merson, and Souness??
Lets be real, its not the same, they have different type of agendas as pundits then football fans.