Rashford | takes on the government over free meals for kids - and wins

Cloud7

Rashford is truly an exceptional human being. One of the most genuinely good people I've come across in a long time.

Brophs

The One and Only
At a time like this, football and the black community as a whole are very lucky to have people like Marcus and Raheem Sterling representing them and using their platform to try to bring about change. Seriously impressive young fellas.

Red4Life_#7

At a time like this, football and the black community as a whole are very lucky to have people like Marcus and Raheem Sterling representing them and using their platform to try to bring about change. Seriously impressive young fellas.
Agreed! They are doing great stuff!! Hats off.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
This kid’s becoming a man in front of our eyes & it really has nothing to do with football. Should make us all proud.

rotherham_red

Future utd captain for me. I said it years ago on here which raised more than a few eyebrows at the time, but I stood by it then and nothing he has done since has made me waver at any point.

The lad is a diamond, and we are so lucky to have him.

The people who laid into him over the last 18 months or so, should be absolutely and thoroughly ashamed of themselves. Even if we disregard his off the field stuff, he's accomplished so much for us at such a tender age and has provided us with THE best post-SAF memories time and time again. On what earth, could he ever be considered average, let alone shit?

While I'm here, I'll add another prediction: he'll break Rooney's record, injuries permitting.

pacifictheme

If he doesn't score against spurs who else thinks someone will moan in the match day thread about how he's doing too much charity work and needs to get back to focusing on playing football.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
What a fecking man he is. Probably my favourite player in the squad for both his footballing ability and for how he is off the pitch. Huge respect to him.

United Hobbit

His letter is very powerful, I should imagine his mum will be extremely proud of him. He has already done fantastically with his charity work during lockdown but is wanting to help even more.
He should certainly be considered for the honours list

Little follow up interview with the BBC here

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p08gzsbb

Last edited:

Valley Blue

Supports
Manchester City
He has been a real force for good, through out the pandemic, he comes across as a very grounded young man & a great human being. Well done Marcus.

ell

He is an absolute hero, and I really do adore him.

I don't think I have ever seen a young sportsman utilise his platform and influence as well as Marcus Rashford has. He is the absolute epitome of a role model and is a credit to Manchester United, and the country as a whole.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
He's a credit to the club.

Matt Hancock was so keen for PL players to "make a contribution". Rashford alone has done that in spades. Let's see what Hancock's government does when the ball is in their court.

romufc

The journey this season has been incredible.

From "Championship player" "Distracted by Lingard"

To now becoming one of our best players and a true role model in the game.

Fantastic.

Handré1990

He’s an amazing young man. I remember my father telling me footballers were people like everyone else and shouldn’t be seen as role models, I was 11 maybe. Marcus Rashford and Juan Mata are notable exceptions! Two people I admire more than most, not even fot their football.

ColvaleGoa

Lot of hate on Twitter for Rashford. (I know it's Twitter).

It's very silly people don't even understand what he is trying to do. They just think it is all for his personal PR. Or some of it must be just Football Tribalism.

We need to applaud Rashford and not bring him down.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
Well in, Marcus, lad. Call out those charlatans in Parliament who love to throw the likes of you under the bus when it’s politically expedient to do so. You are a true inspiration to all.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I had a daydream about this yesterday. Never seen a footballer get so much praise from rival fans on twitter. I was imagining a standing ovation for him from all four corners of a rival ground when he is subbed off after scoring a hat-trick. Like fat Ronaldo at Old Trafford.

Then it struck me that this fantasy was dependent on the stadium being full of people. And then I felt depressed :(

Handré1990

I had a daydream about this yesterday. Never seen a footballer get so much praise from rival fans on twitter. I was imagining a standing ovation for him from all four corners of a rival ground when he is subbed off after scoring a hat-trick. Like fat Ronaldo at Old Trafford.

Then it struck me that this fantasy was dependent on the stadium being full of people. And then I felt depressed :(
It’s coming;)

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Couldn't care if he never scores another goal again - i'll never say a bad word against him.

For a 22 year old to take this on and use his "name" and reputation for this sort of good is fantastic. He's matured so much over the last few years and I really think this will help him have a strong career for the next part. You can tell he really is genuinely thankful to be in the position he is, I've been lucky that I never went without as a child so I don't know how that feels, but it clearly is something that stays with you for your life.

Well done Marcus and lets hope he can help many more kids!

Rolaholic

Yea he's been garnering the praise and respect of even the most anti-United figures

Lot of hate on Twitter for Rashford. (I know it's Twitter).

It's very silly people don't even understand what he is trying to do. They just think it is all for his personal PR. Or some of it must be just Football Tribalism.

We need to applaud Rashford and not bring him down.

Yea I've seen some sad sods (mainly the luhg /jose loyalist types) trying to spin his charitable efforts as a negative but it only reveals their rotten character when they can find fault in someone using their profile and platform to spread awareness and work hard for objectively great causes.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Yea he's been garnering the praise and respect of even the most anti-United figures

Yea I've seen some sad sods (mainly the luhg /jose loyalist types) trying to spin his charitable efforts as a negative but it only reveals their rotten character when they can find fault in someone using their profile and platform to spread awareness and work hard for objectively great causes.
Good article. Comments on Torygraph website are as nasty as you’d expect from their readership :rolleyes:

Rasendori

Man Of Culture

You're never going to get people who think the exact way. I've read comments stating Rashford and his kind always have a victim mentality, others that he needs to know his place and not mix football with politics. On the flip side, there's United fans using it as an opportunity to bait rival fans. On the tweet you showed from Carragher, one of the responses is a United fan talking about his spitting incident and that he's lucky to still be in football industry.

Rolaholic

You're never going to get people who think the exact way. I've read comments stating Rashford and his kind always have a victim mentality, others that he needs to know his place and not mix football with politics. On the flip side, there's United fans using it as an opportunity to bait rival fans. On the tweet you showed from Carragher, one of the responses is a United fan talking about his spitting incident and that he's lucky to still be in football industry.
I get that but I also find it quite hard to spin efforts to keep underprivileged children fed into a negative unless an agenda already existed prior.

The fact that it's an issue that's near and dear to his heart from when was growing up and is using his platform to help now that he's an established public figure and has influence is more a sign of strength of character than any sign of victim complex or any bs like that.

I never got efforts to silence footballers or athletes in general when it comes to public/societal issues. If every normal member of the public is allowed to have an opinion and voice it so should they, they're people as well and certain issues have or currently do affect them too as a result.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
The people who are overly critical of Rashford,and other players, response during these times know deep,deep down that if they were in a similar position they'd be doing jacksh*t.

AshRK

A gem on and off the field. Wish he stays with us forever and we would finally have an amazing talent without any agent and transfer bs.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Good article. Comments on Torygraph website are as nasty as you’d expect from their readership :rolleyes:
article is behind a paywall but comments are visible, what surprised me wasn't the viewpoints but the unanimity. i think 2 dissenting comments in about 50. rest was soldiers are actually brave, enough politics in football, blm is a dangerous plot, pr people make them woke, and going with the tide isn't bravery, each repeated in 5 different ways.