Rashford | takes on the government over free meals for kids - and wins

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Best use of social media by a footballer since that time Robert Huth played "Cock or no cock".

Seriously though, awesome stuff from Rashford.

It's a shame the next few games are behind closed doors, would've been nice for the fans to show their appreciation.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Absolutely amazing from him. I think it's also important to remember that this isn't the only campaign he's been championing or at the head of during lockdown. Also helped homeless people, learning sign language etc. An example for every single young person to look up to, not just footballers.

pacifictheme

And a name on honours list.
He's young but I'm struggling to see how what he has done is much less than what that 100 year old did. He had the benefit of the BBC backing him every hour. I've hardly seen Rashford campaign outside of his Instagram until the last week and he has helped raise millions. Sir Marcus?

WolfInSharp'sClothing

Supports
Wolves
Even as a fan of another club, I am so proud of Marcus Rashford today.

I can't even imagine the overwhelming pride you must all feel that one of your own is such an incredible young man.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Just to point out, from Rashford's article in The Times today:
"Today I focus on a trophy that stands for something much bigger than football. A U-turn on the decision to stop the free food voucher scheme continuing over the summer holidays could help us reach the next round but we still have a very long way to go as a country to eventually lift the trophy. In this case, the trophy is combating child poverty."
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...-bigger-trophy-than-any-in-football-vz7z3brpp

This is just one round as far as Marcus is concerned.

Great work from him. I can't imagine how proud of him his family, friends, teachers, fellow campaigners etc must be feeling right now. I'm proud of him, and I've never done more than just cheer him on.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
So proud of him. How many people in history have ever gotten a government to U turn?

This young man deserves to be on the honours list he is a credit to his mother, his family, his city, his club and his nation.

I’m man enough to admit I got teary eyed hearing the news of what he’s achieved through his profile. It’s official I have a favourite player now.

sp_107

A true sporting HERO with a heart of GOLD. What ever happens to his career I will fondly remember him through out my life. A great example for how to be role model.

I truly want him to be a massive success with us for years to come.

MoXoM

Awesome!

To be honest I haven't been following United since the lockdown started. I've just not been in the mood to watch football.

This morning I decided to watch the news (after a few weeks of ignoring it) and was amazed and delighted to hear about Rashfords appeal.

What a great ambassador for the club!

This news has really made me feel proud to be a supporter of this club and it has re-ignited my passion for football.

I've noticed that we play again in three days time - I can't wait!

C'mon United!!! :devil:

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Best use of social media by a footballer since that time Robert Huth played "Cock or no cock".

It's a shame the next few games are behind closed doors, would've been nice for the fans to show their appreciation.
Absolutely, he should be cheered on every ground next season. United can be proud to have a guy like that.

Yagami

Good post resistant

Yeah, I think he would've got a nice reception at all our remaining away games had there been fans.

Rolledo

My mate, who supports Liverpool, just texted me: "Marcus Rashford!"

rotherham_red

That's it? Ridiculous. Woodward out!!!

On a serious note, any news on the club wanting to help him out in his work?
The club helped in amplifying his message through the app and the social media channels. That is just as crucial as anything else that they could have done.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Go on Marcus. Well if it involves politics but for good causes like these I don't mind really. In fact more footballers should use their fame, influence and money to do good things. Like Juan Mata with his common goal and Marcus with this.

AshRK

I don't know who was the last player I was so happy that he was playing for united. Top bloke.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
If this was done by Lingard, We would all be forced to love him. Thankfully not.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Nice work Rashy. The football industry and the highly-paid people working within it get a lot of often justified stick but you've got to love Rashford's use of his profile to force genuine change for families in need in this country.

Also an obligatory feck you to Johnson and his ilk, their full understanding of the issues of poverty and working class struggle are there for all to see when they're dragged kicking and screaming into giving kids what they need for basic survival.

klayton88

Top guy. Proud he's ours. You reckon there's any way he could get me a Gregg's steak bake while he's at it?

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Feck me. I'm usually a right miserable old cynic but this is such genuinely heartwarming stuff that even I can't find anything to moan about.

So nice to read such positive stuff at such a difficult time. I'm ridiculously proud of him.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
Absolutely fantastic news and a shit tonne of credit to our lad. Well in, Marcus. We are blessed to have a person with such integrity and morals donning the red of Manchester United.

What a hero he is.