Rashford | takes on the government over free meals for kids - and wins

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Yeah but he's got his own brand so it doesn't count.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Yer on mute rashy

dalriada

Always been struck by Marcus's maturity and what a genuine guy he is. He's a proper Mancunian, a credit to himself and the city, and terrific work during the C19 crisis.

Jesse > Messi

He is just a genuine top class human being. Makes me proud to support Manchester United!

https://www.skysports.com/football/...ord-manchester-united-stronger-after-lockdown

”His work was given special recognition by the High Sheriff of Greater Manchester, and the forward said: "I used to ride the bus through the city centre and think to myself that one day I'm going to be in a position to help and I will. That has stuck with me.”

"10 years ago, I would have been one of those kids wondering where my next meal was coming from. I was lucky enough to have an evening meal when I got home, but a lot of kids don't get that."

noodlehair

"It's like..."
"I queued for 3 hours to get a McDonalds today. What are you doing to make lockdown easier?"
"I helped provide meals for 3 million people who otherwise wouldn't be able to afford to eat"

He's a genuine hero. Calling him one of football's good guys is a bit of an insult as very few people in general would put the time and effort into helping others that he does, and that includes people who are generally good guys themselves.

Drainy

Class lad. Brilliant footballer.

His mentality is top drawer, was getting a tonne of stick from his own fans and kept working away. I never had any doubts.

Red Royal

Really proud that one of our own lads has done this. In an age of footballers being so distant from us average Joes this is heartwarming!

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He is a proper hero. Not enough recognition is being given, really. Not nearly enough.

TrustInOle

Proper hero in times where real heroes are needed. Credit to Manchester and the whole of England.

Future captain material, proud he is one of our own. Truly amazing work.

tenpoless

Started to do important things since Lingard was given a last chance warning by Ole.
Coincidence? or a genius move by our manager?

meamth

I hope this will shut up those who questioned his salary..

Great achievement, great person, already a great player for us. Love him the most now.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Surely deserves to be on next honours list?

Member 113277

He always comes across as mature beyond his years. He'll have a great career if he wants to.

McTominay also has some of that same maturity. It's great to have young players come through with the right mindset and character to make the most of it.
The only thing I disagreee with in your post is the singular career - I reckon he'l have more thna one great career.

Swiss_Red89

Today the biggest Swiss paper "Blick" published a report about Rashford and his heroics for society.

https://www.blick.ch/sport/fussball...sich-vor-manutd-star-rashford-id15932650.html

The reader comments are usually, a bit typically Swiss, quite critical and negativ. In this case, however, Rashford is showered with nothing but praise and admiration. As probably his biggest fan in Switzerland, I am very happy and proud to read this positive publicity and comments about Rashford here in Switzerland.

You are a legend Marcus!

Reactions: jojojo

romufc

Absolutely brilliant from Rashford. When they talk about role models in football, he is definitely one of them.

People forget that he is only 22 and he is doing great things for the community. Proud to have him playing for us.

RUCK4444

Unbelievable effort and example he's setting. At 22 years old it would be incredibly easy for him to get lost in all the money, cars and women. To focus so much of his time on great causes like this at his age shows the measure of the man.

My favourite person in football right now without doubt.

fps

Wonderful work. His thoughtfulness and maturity are reasons I could see him really staying at Man Utd his whole career, he seems really to care about his community and those around him. I know you can care about your community and also make bold career choices too, but he just seems very grounded and to take little for granted.

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
Makes me want to donate to the training camp him, Welbeck and others have come from.
What a powerful response! I'm sure he appreciates the compliments, but this is the precisely the emotion and action that Rashford is trying to illicit. I commend you sir. Personally, I haven't donated towards Fareshare myself. I donated towards things pertaining to BLM.

That would be Fletcher Moss Rangers, a non exhaustive list would also include CBJ, and Blackett amongst others. Its easy to forget that a Category One side such as Man Utd need players from grassroots level provided they're lower than age 9 or so.

Obviously it didn't work out for Blackett, but I remember reading that he would schedule individual sessions at the training ground when the United squad were given day offs. Additionally, following the season opener against Swansea, he was spotted on his own with a laptop analysing his performances.

What stood out to most people in CBJ was his composed personality which was encapsulated on his almost languid performances at times. He didn't look phased when introduced in the starting berth for Man Utd.

Moving away from Fletcher Moss Rangers, I really like how keeping players grounded is very much the prerogative of Man Utd's academy. There's even a symbolic photo of a young Messi cleaning his boots in the locking room.

Players like Tuanzebe who Juan Mata mentioned as being one of the most outspoken players in the dressing room. Its noteworthy that he was initially talking about Zlatan, so Tuanzebe wasn't even the topic of discussion which gives it more credibility. Pretty sure I read he offers council for players in the youth system that might be dealing with off the pitch matters. In interviews he speaks with a real level of maturity. The same can be said of McTominay. Speaking of which, I recall him making himself available when he could've put his body first. Brandom Williams has usurped players that were consider to be superior talents and that is testament to his dedication and mentality. He's fearless. Teden Mengi has stated his role model is Brandon Williams given his position and the professionalism he radiates. Of course, the role model of all the players within the youth system is Rashford given his meteoric rise, and there's no doubt his maturity in the c-19 fundraising campaign won't be unnoticed. He's the standard which they're trying to emulate.

The following is a post from 2018 on why he's my favourite :

Aged 11, Rashford wrote his why on paper. His dream ... his goal ... his ambition. The guy has no plan B. I remember watching the U18s and Demetri Mitchell was the MVP. When he got injured, somebody needed to take that mantle, that responsibility, that onus in attack. Rashford stood up to the plate. Strikers like Will Keane and James Wilson were more prolific than Rashford, some if not most would say comfortably more talented. Rashford was put in a sink or swim situation when Rooney was injured, Will Keane pulled up against Shrewsbury, Martial pulled his hamstring in the warm up, meaning Rashford didn't know until the very last minute that he was going to be in the starting berth. He rose to the occasion. Put his name on the map. The guy is an opportunist. He was called upon again, this time against Arsenal. He did the business. Rashford has had three man of the match performances against Arsenal, Chelsea, and Man City. When Zlatan got injured last season, Rashford stepped up to the plate with game changing performances in the Quarter and Semi Final of the Europa League. This season, scored in the biggest game he's started, the Manchester Derby.

TLDR - Great social awareness