Rashford | takes on the government over free meals for kids - and wins

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout

Are they going to Sterling him?
They'll probably try. It's up to us to stick with Rashford, the same way that for me it was City fans I knew who first made me aware of Sterling's shite treatment in the media.

TrueRed79

Top guy. And no offence, and I may be judging him incorrectly, but he doesn't seem like the most intelligent guy around so if someone like him can realise this and try to do something it would be nice to see more players doing so, publically. They have a lot of power, even just to breakdown stigma, and would be nice to see them use it.

Anyway, if you haven't, RT his Tweet about this to your MP.
A positive thread about one of our players and you have to be like this. And you spelled "publicly" wrong. Pot v kettle.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Not that intelligence matters as much as the lad's ethics but I think he seems bright and articulate. He's on national TV making perfect sense talking about a complex and emotive situation. Considering how pressurised that situation is, he's perfectly eloquent. Again, not that it really matters as much as the message, which is much more important than however many 10 letter words he can use.

I mean, compare what he's saying to the grandiose and confusing bunk that comes out of our well-educated government.

At least it's clear what Rashford wants to happen.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Very proud of him, he's taken whatever influence he has and channeled it in the most positive way he can. Terrific lad and I hope he reaches this goal - Labour confirmed they will bring his point to the debate so here's hoping they push Boris in yet another U-turn.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Top guy. And no offence, and I may be judging him incorrectly, but he doesn't seem like the most intelligent guy around so if someone like him can realise this and try to do something it would be nice to see more players doing so, publically. They have a lot of power, even just to breakdown stigma, and would be nice to see them use it.

And why don't you think he's intelligent then Danny?

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I feel incredibly proud of him as a Brit, but I'd be brimming with pride, 100x over, if Rashford rose out of my specific community to make the kind of impact he is.

GenZRed

I don't know how anybody could hear Marcus Rashford give an interview and view him as unintelligent. He is a well-spoken, polite young man and it has transpired over the last few weeks, a great guy who has gone above and beyond what is expected of footballers, in order to make a difference.

Reactions: Penna

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
I don't know how anybody could hear Marcus Rashford give an interview and view him as unintelligent. He is a well-spoken, polite young man and it has transpired over the last few weeks, a great guy who has gone above and beyond what is expected of footballers, in order to make a difference.
I think it boils down to the fact he can be fractured in his delivery but I feel that it may be partly because he tries to be articulate in his answers instead of the usual grunts and groans and the "lads gave it 110%"

mav_9me

Are they going to Sterling him?
Zero doubt that will happen. Look at his flash car or house or something. Look at him enjoying life while campaigning for food for children. What a hypocrite etc....i guarantee you that's coming.

Kag

To all the plonkers who have ever argued that footballers (and sportspeople, for that matter) should “stick to sports”, please refer to this: Marcus Rashford is (probably) about to impact upon national government policy. A policy u-turn that will positively benefit thousands of children. At the very least he - as well as those who have supported his mission - has ensured that the conversation is taking place on every news channel in the country. That’s power. That’s why these lads must be encouraged to use their platform for something more than football. What a brilliant lad.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
To all the plonkers who have ever argued that footballers (and sportspeople, for that matter) should “stick to sports”, please refer to this: Marcus Rashford is (probably) about to impact upon national government policy. A policy u-turn that will positively benefit thousands of children. At the very least he - as well as those who have supported his mission - has ensured that the conversation is taking place on every news channel in the country. That’s power. That’s why these lads must be encouraged to use their platform for something more than football. What a brilliant lad.
That has always been an incredible odd take, as if footballers aren't also human beings who form part of our society.

bsCallout

Proud to call him one of our own. That's for sure.

Some bollocks will be made about how much he earns. I bet he donates a very healthy sum too.

fps

Just wanted to come back into this thread again and say how admirable his actions have been and how impressive a young man he is.

Rolaholic

And why don't you think he's intelligent then Danny?
Wondering this myself, strange comment when he's never not sounded well spoken and bright in interviews.

You would think he speaks like Wazza from that post :lol:

dalriada

I've watched Marcus a lot on MUTV (and elsewhere) and I'm always struck how mature and intelligent he is. A few times he's been interviewed alongside his friend Jesse Lingard and you can't help noticing how mature he is at 22 compared to Jesse at 27, who always pulls a face and looks as if he's about to break into his dab, while Marcus makes some sharp observation. But I don't want to start Jesse-bashing.

He's playing a blinder against the politicians with his campaign, especially his dignified response to Therese Coffey - it's been top of the TV news agendas today, and it looks as if the government's just caved in and agreed to what he's been asking for regarding the free school meals. So I think he's actually an intelligent young man and has made a real difference on this.

At any rate, what he's done during the lockdown is terrific and I think he can be proud of himself, as can the club and the city, especially as he's clearly completely genuine about it.

Reactions: roonster09

scorgasm

Last Man Standing champion 2020/21
Incredible by Rashford. What a fantastic use of his platform, his successful campaign will ensure over a million children across the UK and millions of parents have one less thing to worry about. Take a bow.

Fingeredmouse

Sturgeon's just announced the continuation of free school meals/vouchers through the school holidays in Scotland.

Back of the net, part one :D
Admittedly, that was always likely to be the case in Scotland. The England U Turn though is quite something.

Sara125

Big big hats off to Rashford. As for the government they should be ashamed that a 22 year old footballer is doing much more than them.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.

No-one meme'd angry Souness asking about Pogba's involvement in all this yet?