Rashford | takes on the government over free meals for kids - and wins

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
That’s what the social service network is for. It’s not to provide an income stream for the feckless. I think Rashford has done a good job but people need to take responsibility for their own actions. Having 5 kids without any income is irresponsible.
Even if we take that view point... Should the kids have to suffer for their parents "irresponsibility"? It isn't their fault they were brought into this world whatever way you shake it.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Even if we take that view point... Should the kids have to suffer for their parents "irresponsibility"? It isn't their fault they were brought into this world whatever way you shake it.
And even if your world view is utterly selfish, any initiative to feed or care for the underprivileged will benefit society as a whole. Letting those kids fend for themselves just creates a bigger and bigger under class with nothing to live for, who will take to the streets and cause havoc if/when society starts to break down. During a global pandemic, for example...

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
That’s what the social service network is for. It’s not to provide an income stream for the feckless. I think Rashford has done a good job but people need to take responsibility for their own actions. Having 5 kids without any income is irresponsible.
1.3 million kids nationally need free school meals, that's about 15% of school students. In Manchester you need to double that percentage. That's how many kids you're suggesting we ignore because some of their parents are on your list on unworthy citizens. Circumstances change, sometimes due to illness, sometimes bad luck, sometimes due to relationships failing, sometimes having "enough to cope" goes to not coping in the space of a few weeks loss of income or an unexpected bill, or a row with the in-laws - that's just life.

But the fact is, it doesn't actually matter why nearly a third of the kids in Manchester need an extra meal to grow up healthy, or even to get the full benefit of the education system - because they need the help now. Because when they grow up we need them to be full members of our society, capable of contributing to the place they live. It's an investment in all our futures, as well as in theirs. You might well be able to ignore those 1.3 million kids but Marcus couldn't, that's why he decided to do something useful and important.

Bwuk

Brilliant news. Make me sick to think that some people don’t support feeding hungry kids.

Let’s tax the tory tax dodgers (Jacob Rees Mog) to fund it!

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Fair play to Rashford but as a society we need to move away from people expecting other people to pay for their own responsibilities.
As a society we need to increasingly look after everyone far more than we are doing especially as full employment has been a myth for a long long time and full time 5 day a week employment will become increasingly hard to come by.

The people I'd like to pay for their "own responsibilities" are the huge and profitable firms who use corporate structure and offshore shell companies to pay zero (or far too little) tax despite enriching themselves from our consumption. The consumption of those you so delightful call the "feckless" included. All part of the narrative that Bojo and his ilk have been selling, the greatest con trick in history that gets the slightly better off to blame those slight below them on the socio-economic ladder, while the top end of town enriches itself and laughs at us for thinking they give a shit about anyone but themselves and the 1%.

yan man utd

Well done Marcus. A proper thoroughbred Manchester United player. Hasn’t forgotten his roots and what class this guy has. He plays and speaks from the heart. You have to be proud of him.. With people like him around United’s culture can only get better. As a personality he is a role model and respect to that, and no ego despite the fact that he is blessed with talent. It gives me confidence in the character of the dressing room....

Wedge

Supports
a soft spot for Ajax
Quite shocking that she is only 45 years old. She looks like she is much older & gnarled. Reminiscent of Sarah Huckabee Sanders. Both looked years older; I guess that’s what happens to twats who spew lies & hatred on a daily basis.
Bumped in to her once in Exeter woods and she's very much an attention seeker, I apologised and she said a foul word, so I kindly reminded her, er so how's that fame going z list twat.

ShinjiNinja26

Do you lot claim this bloke? I came across his twitter profile this afternoon, and I was astounded to find nothing but criticism for Rashford and United as a club. He must be trolling, surely. Or likely just a bored 15 year old.

He’s certainly no United supporter judging by the trash he writes on Twitter. My guess is he’s some sad act rival fan with to much time on his hands.

Rolaholic

Love that he directly called out the utter stupidity of the 'stick to sports' argument that gets repeated ad-nauseum as if athletes are meant to be single-minded drones

Stig

He's a credit to the sport. A credit to Manchester and a credit to the causes he represents.

We are lucky to have such a wonderful young man in our ranks. A man who has the potential to be a very fine player as well.

AGREED

I suggest that we have a collection and get Manchester Met to make a statue of him, out of concrete, we will never afford brass and have it put up in the Arndale Centre.

Cloud7

Love that he directly called out the utter stupidity of the 'stick to sports' argument that gets repeated ad-nauseum as if athletes are meant to be single-minded drones
Pep is a prominent figure in the Catalan political struggle with the Spanish government as far as I'm aware, so he knows all too well how ridiculous the 'stick to sports' arguments are.

Stig

Looks like we have found BBC Sports Personality of the Year.

Leader. Game changer. Class.

Stig

I love it when cretins like this out themselves early on. Saves me the bother of having to read the contemptible bile they'll spew forth, at any given opportunity. Ignored!

What are people's thoughts here on, I can't remember what the hell it is called, one of the Scandinavian countries did it - you get a livable monthly salary whether you work or not, whether you want to work or not.

Initially I was totally against it, but hearing about some of the poverty in the UK - which as I haven't truly seen it - I find it hard to fathom and relate to -- I am getting to the point where I could support it. I read a BBC article about how it had improved the mental health of a lot of people who had been struggling, but unfortunately the Swedes or whoever did it - stopped it.

We really should not be having people not affording meals - and struggling and worrying.

Nickled and Dimed https://www.amazon.com/Nickel-Dimed-Not-Getting-America-ebook/dp/B001BAJ25W/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1BSEUOFRU97MS&keywords=nickel+and+dimed+by+barbara+ehrenreich&qid=1592356412&sprefix=nickle+and+d,aps,289&sr=8-1

is a great book on working and not surviving that I read a few years back.

People's thoughts on all this poverty and inequity.

I'm a die hard capitalist - but my ideas are / have changed.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-47169549

Last edited:

The Don

Metrosexual Candy Shagger
Dayman, ahhhahhhahh, fighter of the nightman
What are people's thoughts here on, I can't remember what the hell it is called, one of the Scandinavian countries did it - you get a livable monthly salary whether you work or not, whether you want to work or not.

Initially I was totally against it, but hearing about some of the poverty in the UK - which as I haven't truly seen it - I find it hard to fathom and relate to -- I am getting to the point where I could support it. I read a BBC article about how it had improved the mental health of a lot of people who had been struggling, but unfortunately the Swedes or whoever did it - stopped it.

We really should not be having people not affording meals - and struggling and worrying.

Nickled and Dimed https://www.amazon.com/Nickel-Dimed-Not-Getting-America-ebook/dp/B001BAJ25W/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1BSEUOFRU97MS&keywords=nickel+and+dimed+by+barbara+ehrenreich&qid=1592356412&sprefix=nickle+and+d,aps,289&sr=8-1

Capatilists, the elites, the very wealthy and corrupt governments, all make their money off the backs of the working class. IMO, it's only fair that they be taxed, very highly and that money used to provide healthcare, education, shelter and food, for anyone that needs it.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-47169549
Universal basic income - and the Scandanavian trial wasn't UBI - it was unemployment benefit with fewer restrictions.

With a true UBI everyone over 18 (or whatever) would get a regular payment from the government that would be just enough for subsistence living or aligned with the aged pension or something similar. It wouldn't be means tested. Income taxes would be adjusted so that for most fully employed people the UBI payment would be more or less the same as the increased income tax. The benefit is that we save billions administering social security of all sorts, the stigma of unemeployment or underemployment would disappear and there would be no disincentive to work as you would still get more money if you got a job. It sounds great if you design it right but to me the hardest things are a) how do you sell it to the general public when they seem to enjoy being reamed by posh public school boys who hate them and seem to swallow their bullshit wholesale that it is the slightly less well off who are to blame for them not having a Ferrari (slight exaggeration for effect)?, and b) how do you transition from what we have to a UBI which would not be cost or pain free?

Last edited:

The Don

Metrosexual Candy Shagger
Dayman, ahhhahhhahh, fighter of the nightman
Universal basic income - and the Scandanavian trial wasn't UBI - it was unemployment benefit with fewer restrictions.

With a true UBI everyone over 18 (or whatever) would get a regular payment from the government that would be just enough for subsistence living or aligned with the aged pension or something similar. It wouldn't be means tested. Income taxes would be adjusted so that for most fully employed people the UBI payment would be more or less the same as the increased income tax. The benefit is that we save billions administering social security of all sorts, the stigma of unemeployment or underemployment would disappear and there would be no disincentive to work as you would still get more money if you got a job. It sounds great if you design it right but to me the hardest things are a) how do you sell it to the general public when they seem to enjoy being reamed by posh public school boys who hate them and seem to swallow their bullshit wholesale that it is the slightly less well off who are to blame for them not having a Ferrari (slight exaggeration for effect)?, and b) how do you transition from what we have to a UBI which would not be cost or pain free?
Sometimes I just love you, Wibs.

Last edited by a moderator:

Stig

Today I learned it is called utilitarianism.

1. the doctrine that actions are right if they are useful or for the benefit of a majority.
    • the doctrine that an action is right insofar as it promotes happiness, and that the greatest happiness of the greatest number should be the guiding principle of conduct.

I'm in favour.

Toad

Each team should donate one goal each per game to Rashford for this..

Amarsdd

An MBE surely for Marcus soon esp. with the recognition he's getting now. Anyway who is the youngest to get an MBE?

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Today I learned it is called utilitarianism.

1. the doctrine that actions are right if they are useful or for the benefit of a majority.
    • the doctrine that an action is right insofar as it promotes happiness, and that the greatest happiness of the greatest number should be the guiding principle of conduct.

I'm in favour.
There a thread on it in here somewhere. Probably worth a bump...

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
An MBE surely for Marcus soon esp. with the recognition he's getting now. Anyway who is the youngest to get an MBE?
What do you think he is, a white old veteran? He’s made a fool out of the government, he’s more likely to be looking forward to a nasty investigation into his and his family’s private life.