Rashford | takes on the government over free meals for kids - and wins

NorLogs

Feed the Scousers, help them Marcus its Christmas time...
Not to be a dick or antyhing, and I do understand the cultural reference of your joke that has been around for years and decades.
But I can't help but feel that these sort of remarks and chants, who are kind of targeting people of lesser fortune, it goes a bit against what Rashford has set out to accomplish here.

I am all for a healthy rivalry, and I'll be upfront about me not being from england, so perhaps I don't fully understand the historic base upon which the rivalry is built. But what I do understand is that taking the piss out of people because of their poor economic situation, it does not reflect kindly back on whoever is holding that particular banner.

So the chants about our rivals great losses in terms of human life, chants about poor people being poor (and there's not really any other substance to these chants, I find), chants about geniune misfortune, perhaps we should lay them to rest. I am sure there are many who support United who aren't of great fortune themselves, we should keep that in mind. And yeah, many probably don't care about the chants, they have their own replies with the same message, so let us supporters reflect the size of our club, let's be the bigger man (or woman). We know better, we have the creativity to do better, so lets do it.

Thanks.

Also, Rashford is a hero, let's support him instead of undermining his work.

Reactions: Penna

Rolaholic

"He [Rashford] did amazingly well, I congratulate him for that. It’s a bit strange for me that one football player can make it happen [government U-turn] – if it happened then that means the government thinks it’s the right thing to do."
Either that or they learned the hard way that making sure children are well fed is overwhelmingly popular with most people :lol:

M16Red

Not to be a dick or antyhing, and I do understand the cultural reference of your joke that has been around for years and decades.
But I can't help but feel that these sort of remarks and chants, who are kind of targeting people of lesser fortune, it goes a bit against what Rashford has set out to accomplish here.

I am all for a healthy rivalry, and I'll be upfront about me not being from england, so perhaps I don't fully understand the historic base upon which the rivalry is built. But what I do understand is that taking the piss out of people because of their poor economic situation, it does not reflect kindly back on whoever is holding that particular banner.

So the chants about our rivals great losses in terms of human life, chants about poor people being poor (and there's not really any other substance to these chants, I find), chants about geniune misfortune, perhaps we should lay them to rest. I am sure there are many who support United who aren't of great fortune themselves, we should keep that in mind. And yeah, many probably don't care about the chants, they have their own replies with the same message, so let us supporters reflect the size of our club, let's be the bigger man (or woman). We know better, we have the creativity to do better, so lets do it.

Thanks.

Also, Rashford is a hero, let's support him instead of undermining his work.
It was a joke.

I've always hated the "murders" chant as my dad was at Hillsborough that day, luckily in the top tier pulling lads and ladies out.

What Marcus has done, actually shouldn't have needed to be done but he's done some great stuff over lockdown. As a person who has grew up in property (Hulme in the 80s) under Maggie he gets nuff respect.

Anyway I'd rather live in a tent in on the side on the M62 than Liverpool sorry if that upsets you.

M16Red

I hope the Park song, sign on and feed the Scousers are never sung by United fans again
The Park one is frankly racist and the muderders is pretty bad.

But the feed the scousers and sign on is a regional chant. As in, we all have these problems.

macheda14

But the feed the scousers and sign on is a regional chant. As in, we all have these problems.
Hmmm Nah, they’re still making light of poverty.

GeorgieBoy

Still can't get over how much I love this guy!
Incredible he's managed to overturn government policy at his age!
Legend.

macheda14

Poverty that is faced by all, not just people in a particular area.
Historically Liverpool had worse issues with it, but that’s besides the point. We’ve just lauded Rashford for helping fight child poverty and then we’ll sing and laugh about poverty in order to get one over on Liverpool fans.

M16Red

Historically Liverpool had worse issues with it, but that’s besides the point. We’ve just lauded Rashford for helping fight child poverty and then we’ll sing and laugh about poverty in order to get one over on Liverpool fans.
No one has to sing about anything, it was post a on a website. What people sing about on match day is up to that person.

Hey, I think the original song is worse:

And there won't be snow in Africa this Christmas time
The greatest gift they'll get this year is life

I mean...

M16Red

Ps. Well done Marcus. If I at the age of 22 had done half as much as you, my family would be very proud as you should be

NorLogs

It was a joke.

I've always hated the "murders" chant as my dad was at Hillsborough that day, luckily in the top tier pulling lads and ladies out.

What Marcus has done, actually shouldn't have needed to be done but he's done some great stuff over lockdown. As a person who has grew up in property (Hulme in the 80s) under Maggie he gets nuff respect.

Anyway I'd rather live in a tent in on the side on the M62 than Liverpool sorry if that upsets you.
No worries, I understand it's a joke. This however wasn't really aimed at you.

In my opinion the fans reflect the club, so we should try to reflect that. The clubs been great through the past couple of months by showing compassion and also putting money behind their pretty words. I'd hate to think that some juvenile supporters of ours would embark on a journey to undermine this, just for the sake of cracking a joke, getting one up on someone you don't even know, it's aimed at feck all. It's a bit fickle, supporting Marcus' work and still cultivating this behaviour.

And you can live wherever you want, I am not about that. Just keep in mind you are talking with two tongues they way you formulate your argumentation.

And again, this isn't meant to be directed specifically at you, and it's not as personal as it might seem. I just think it's time we gave it a good think, what we say and do, and what kind of signals we are putting out.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!

It really isn't. You should have seen Omid Djalili's take on it. It was about the best and funniest breakdown of the song

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
He seems to be receiving praise from all quarters - rightfully so. Fantastic achievement.
No surprise. How can you dislike or criticise anything he's done on or off the pitch. The man works hard,gives his all, clearly has a social conscious enough to put his passion into practise. All with minimum publicity. Any sportsperson who can breach tribal divides and unite people in the way he has should be celebrated.

He has become a national treasure

Infra-red

No surprise. How can you dislike or criticise anything he's done on or off the pitch. The man works hard,gives his all, clearly has a social conscious enough to put his passion into practise. All with minimum publicity. Any sportsperson who can breach tribal divides and unite people in the way he has should be celebrated.

He has become a national treasure
Arise, Sir Marcus!

M16Red

No worries, I understand it's a joke. This however wasn't really aimed at you.

In my opinion the fans reflect the club, so we should try to reflect that. The clubs been great through the past couple of months by showing compassion and also putting money behind their pretty words. I'd hate to think that some juvenile supporters of ours would embark on a journey to undermine this, just for the sake of cracking a joke, getting one up on someone you don't even know, it's aimed at feck all. It's a bit fickle, supporting Marcus' work and still cultivating this behaviour.

And you can live wherever you want, I am not about that. Just keep in mind you are talking with two tongues they way you formulate your argumentation.

And again, this isn't meant to be directed specifically at you, and it's not as personal as it might seem. I just think it's time we gave it a good think, what we say and do, and what kind of signals we are putting out.
I'm sorry, but I can only manage me. Please stop using me as some kinda proxy for your woke messages.

I suggest you start a thread with your views and opinions.

But for me, if you've been to Liverpool as a Manc you will know that you do run into some people that just don't like you because of an accent

We can all hold hands, changing my view point is all well and good, but when you have people doing plane arms or calling me scum, rag b*s, etc. Don't expect me to react well.

They give it, so they can take it.

respect is earned not just giving for free it removes the value

I'll say it again, well done Rashford

If you wish to help... donate, crazy to see what a little bit of money buys.
https://fareshare.org.uk/summer/

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
The Italian matchday commentator was full of praise for Rashford's charity work during the game last night. It's great that what he's managed to achieve is being talked about outside the UK.

Zlatattack

Absolute legend. He genuinely might be the most influential opposition in the country currently.
He is. Parliament is non existent it would seem. Labour's leader waits to parrot what Boris says and who is even in charge of the Lib Dems?

Screw them all. Rashford4PM.

Although if he became PM we definitely ought to sign Grealish.

Skåre Willoch

Piers doing a good job for once.

"The reason you're glad now is that you got shamed into it by a young football player with a conscience. [...] You wouldn't have done it without Marcus Rashford campaigning."

That nervous smile when he is confronted is food for my anti-evil genes.

Rolaholic

We go top of the league for the first time ages + he gets nominated for Prem player of the last month and they come out with this rubbish :lol::houllier:

Shows how they're impatiently waiting and the foaming at the mouth kind of eager to get on his case for anything to try and diminish his charitable efforts.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.

Pretty sure at this point that there must be some United fans in government who want to keep Rashford motivated.