Rashfords hopeless on the right...

Nikelesh Reddy

Apart from the deflected goal that he scored against Wolves,he’s not really done anything of note from the right.It’s quite clear that he’s not comfortable playing wide right,but the manager still keeps sticking him out there.He contributes absolutely nothing to the team and the performance of Greenwood probably only illustrates what we”ve been missing from the right.

In my opinion,barring an Injury crisis,Rashford should never play on the right again...Until we sign a top class RW,we should play Greenwood,James or Diallo....

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
It’s an awkward one. I do think there are the few times a season both he and Bruno should sit out games if playing either is at the cost of tactical solidarity/squad balance (Bruno far, far less so) — but at the same time, both are far and away our most productive players who oft drag us through games with a G/A or two.

Take the Spurs game — do you start Greenwood out on the right who is much more natural there at the cost of starting Rashford on the bench?

-Supreme-

Personally he is less predictable when played on the right, and this side of the pitch is less crowded which suits his game better IMO.

RashyForPM

Blueprint to succeed in big games, especially away, is definitely with McFred, which is only a pointless partnership when we’re playing the lesser teams. Then, we still need to fit Pogba, one of the best technical players in the world, Bruno and Rashford into the team, latter two because they simply score loads of goals and make loads of assists. Even Cavani, who is the most big game player in our first team. Where else would you play him?

I suppose the solution could be to drop him for Mason.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
Player playing out of position doesn’t perform as well as in his natural position shocker.

I don’t really see the need to beat Rashford with this particular stick.

There again, I recognise Marcus as one of our two best players and don’t really feel the need to berate him at all. Does this mean I don’t think he can improve? No, I’m sure he can, and he can be very frustrating at times but the constant criticism he receives on this forum for every little thing is unnecessary.

zizou81

Didn't he score against psg on the right? Forget..

But rashford on the right needs to be more direct. He is hopeless there because he over thinks things and more often than not, makes bad decisions. He does that on the left as well but less so because he's a bit more confident coming from the left.

This comes down to coaching and footballing brain/IQ. Not sure he can improve on the latter by himself so coaching staff needs to help him here.

Red_Aaron

One of the best things about rashford is he'll happily play wherever the manager asks him to play and would never have such an ego to demand playing time in a specific position which if you are to believe some rumors cannot be said of other players in our squad.

He's a brilliant player for us and a great example to the squad

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
I think we were more energetic and balanced when he came off. I’d start the next game how we finished the last one and let Rashford rest up and get subbed on if we aren’t going to give him a break altogether. Bruno and Rashford have been overplayed and it’s frustrating for me to see their form dip so much but we are in second and all that... isn’t is normal to give players who play in nearly every game a week off here and there? Why does Ole never do that? He seems to be risk averse to a fault.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Rashford is a brilliant left winger/inside forward but an average right winger. Greenwood is alright as an inside forward on the right, but young and inconsistent. They can't both play together on the wings though, long term it has to be Greenwood up top, Rashford on the left and a creator like Sancho on the right.

Having 2 shooters/inside forwards out wide just doesn't work. Greenwood does well on the right if Pogba is on the left, but doesn't if Rashford is on the left. Rashford does better on the left with James on the right rather than Greenwood, but unfortunately we don't have anyone who is an actual creator on the right. That's why Sancho is vital to come in and play as a creator on the right mainly. Even if Pogba leaves, if Rashford is out, it's easy to put Sancho on the left as he can play either wing equally well and put Greenwood then on the right, and you keep the balance of creativity on one side and a scorer on the other.

Godfather

Not so much about his position than his general form. Plays through injury I'm sure of it. Looks like he is in pain for every step.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Rashford is a brilliant left winger/inside forward but an average right winger. Greenwood is alright as an inside forward on the right, but young and inconsistent. They can't both play together on the wings though, long term it has to be Greenwood up top, Rashford on the left and a creator like Sancho on the right.

Having 2 shooters/inside forwards out wide just doesn't work. Greenwood does well on the right if Pogba is on the left, but doesn't if Rashford is on the left. Rashford does better on the left with James on the right rather than Greenwood, but unfortunately we don't have anyone who is an actual creator on the right. That's why Sancho is vital to come in and play as a creator on the right mainly. Even if Pogba leaves, if Rashford is out, it's easy to put Sancho on the left as he can play either wing equally well and put Greenwood then on the right, and you keep the balance of creativity on one side and a scorer on the other.
Good post. I also feel we narrow it too much and try to always work shooting positions from out wide and all it does is clog up the spaces between defenders in the box. It’s super easy to soak up with numbers back. It’s all out in front : total comfort zone for the opposition. We need to turn teams around and play the early ball in like Mason to Cavani yesterday. That’s the kind of goal and service I’ve been crying out for. We don’t need to overproduce every chance and try to only score worldies. Just put it in there play the percentage and cause chaos. Even if it only ends up a corner it’s better than getting turned over and countered on repeat.

tomaldinho1

Bit of a negative thread for the sake of it. We’ve lacked an RW for years - Greenwood and Rashford can provide decent cover but one is better LW and the other is better up top.
Pray for Sancho.

YouOnlyLiveTwice

He can get goals and assists from anywhere in attack, his position doesn't really matter. Is it better for him coming in from the left to shoot on the right, sure, but if tactically for some reason he has to play on the right is not the end of the world.

vanrooney

its all about giving pogba a place in the team in big games where we need both of mcfred and bruno ahead of them. and pogbas best position in the front three is on the left - therrefor rashy has to play from the right. its only for some games and its ok as pogba and him can also change it up in the games.

Valencia Shin Crosses

His main issue is lacking any sort of confidence shooting with his left. It makes him even more predictable than he is on the left wing because no matter what he does defenders know hes always going to shift it to his right first. And Rashford isn’t a natural winger so his instincts arent to just sit out wide and cross all day, he wants to score.

UpWithRivers

I dont think the OP is having a go at at Rashford or at least thats not how Im taking it. Its the fact that we consistently shove players out of position and therefore dont give them a platform to succeed. How one of the greatest clubs in the world cannot have a first team RW for 8 plus years is beyond me. We have shunted Mata, Lingard, Periera and now Rashford out there and I would say it did none of them any good. Yeah we signed Dialo but he is obviouly not ready or he would start and Greenwood looks good but he was already here. Point being get a friggin RW starter or play players in their right positions. Rashford has been half crocked for ages why not rest him

Nikelesh Reddy

I dont think the OP is having a go at at Rashford or at least thats not how Im taking it. Its the fact that we consistently shove players out of position and therefore dont give them a platform to succeed. How one of the greatest clubs in the world cannot have a first team RW for 8 plus years is beyond me. We have shunted Mata, Lingard, Periera and now Rashford out there and I would say it did none of them any good. Yeah we signed Dialo but he is obviouly not ready or he would start and Greenwood looks good but he was already here. Point being get a friggin RW starter or play players in their right positions. Rashford has been half crocked for ages why not rest him
This.I”m obviously not having a go at Rashford,I”m criticising the manager for constantly playing him out of position.If need be,keep him on the bench but please don’t mess up the balance of the team by constantly playing players out of position...

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife

In agreement here.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
The weird thing is he actually seems to dribble better on the right. He uses more tricks and seems to pass better. Obviously his goal threat though is less.

iHicksy

The weird thing is he actually seems to dribble better on the right. He uses more tricks and seems to pass better. Obviously his goal threat though is less.
Yup. I'm of the opinion that right sided footers dribble better on the right because your natural instinct is to beat people safe in the knowledge that you're taking the ball on your favoured foot down a channel that isn't occupied. It's more of a natural safety net and just lends itself more to the ability to dribble. Dribbling on the left channel you're trying to beat a man on your strong foot but when doing so you're going to be running in to or toward more opposition players, since you're always cutting inside. Thus, there are fewer opportunities to do so safely without putting the ball at risk and players are more inclined to cut inside to shoot or pass. The whole inverted forwards thing is fine in some situations. But, if you're wanting to stretch the play and not force players inward and hence create a narrower structure to play then I much prefer having players playing on their favored footed side for beating a man.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Yup. I'm of the opinion that right sided footers dribble better on the right because your natural instinct is to beat people safe in the knowledge that you're taking the ball on your favoured foot down a channel that isn't occupied. It's more of a natural safety net and just lends itself more to the ability to dribble. Dribbling on the left channel you're trying to beat a man on your strong foot but when doing so you're going to be running in to or toward more opposition players, since you're always cutting inside. Thus, there are fewer opportunities to do so safely without putting the ball at risk and players are more inclined to cut inside to shoot or pass. The whole inverted forwards thing is fine in some situations. But, if you're wanting to stretch the play and not force players inward and hence create a narrower structure to play then I much prefer having players playing on their favored footed side for beating a man.
Yeah I'm not a fan of double inside forwards unless you have fullbacks that can handle themselves well going forward.

I thought the best balance we had was Nani left Valencia right. Evra overlapping Nani so he could cut inside, and Rafael/Valencia dove tailing down the right, but Valencia staying wide for the switch of play when we needed it.

SwedishFish

Playing injured lately, bit harsh to pass judgement on him for the latest games.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Yeah I'm not a fan of double inside forwards unless you have fullbacks that can handle themselves well going forward.

I thought the best balance we had was Nani left Valencia right. Evra overlapping Nani so he could cut inside, and Rafael/Valencia dove tailing down the right, but Valencia staying wide for the switch of play when we needed it.
Yup. Always liked the system of having either classic wingers or at least one on their natural side rather than everyone congesting the middle of the pitch. Incidentally it's also IMO when City under Pep were at their best, in 2017/18. They had Sane on the left, Sterling on the right and they just stretched the play so much every game and it's hard to contain. Would be nice if Rashford could do it on the right and I was in favor for trying but he's far better on the left.

Keefy18

Playing injured lately, bit harsh to pass judgement on him for the latest games.

Absolutely this.

Folks completely ignore it though.

Ole has stated a few times recently he's managing a few different injuries and is requesting to play as much as possible through them.

luke511

Yeah I don't know why Solsjkaer plays him there anymore, it clearly hinders his game. He's all about the fake shots and feints, he struggles with it when he's cutting in onto his weak foot.

OleTheGreat

Personally he is less predictable when played on the right, and this side of the pitch is less crowded which suits his game better IMO.
Rashford has a few amazing quality like switching feet, feigning movement to fool the defenders, shooting with both feet and a lot more skills but he definitely needs to learn how to dribble his way into spaces. He often runs straight into defenses and it frankly frustrates me. He runs straight into 2 or 3 defending players even if there is clearly no space to run into and he probably needs to get better at that. Otherwise I think Rashford is wonderful and is perfectly capable of playing anywhere across the front line. He hugs with the touchline and expands the field of play creating more spaces for other players to move into. He's been injured for a while now and that's probably why he hasn't done a lot of good for us but I still think he's given his best for the team and we should be more than thankful to him. Martial on the other hand has been utterly useless.

Red_toad

Wish the mods would sack off threads like this. It’s quite simply a player performance matter and should be in there.

Olecurls99

I'm pretty sure there's stats that say he's been more effective starting from the right wing this season.

Mike Smalling

Almost all his goals have come from the left, but I can remember some really good assists from the right. Pogba vs. Burnley, Cavani vs. Everton, own goal vs. Southamton, just off the top of my head. He is best of the left, but by no means hopeless on the right.

Terry Chango

This thread can suck my horse....a thread about rashford being hopeless on the right..More rashford bashing, yawn.

no need for this thread at all, be more
Imaginative.

Glorio

Player playing out of position doesn’t perform as well as in his natural position shocker.

I don’t really see the need to beat Rashford with this particular stick.

There again, I recognise Marcus as one of our two best players and don’t really feel the need to berate him at all. Does this mean I don’t think he can improve? No, I’m sure he can, and he can be very frustrating at times but the constant criticism he receives on this forum for every little thing is unnecessary.
I'm not sure the OP is trying to criticise Rashford at all. As I understand it, the poster is simply saying playing him out of position renders him relatively ineffective, which is true for just about every player.
I suppose "hopeless" is an exaggeration, and that's the one thing I'd challenge