Rashfords hopeless on the right...

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Yep, he really should be left wing or nothing right now. His form isn't good enough to just get him in the side in any position.

We desperately need a proper right winger this year, no excuses.

Mason can do a good job there but he can't play every match, Sancho or Raphinha this summer is arguably just as important as a striker.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
On a day where we won 6-2 and thumped Roma with what 5 goals in 35 minutes, Rashford was still incredibly poor. Unless he gets on the goal-sheet or brings a smart assist from a "moment", the game tends to completely pass him by.

I credit him on his willingness to run at players but it's just not working out for him on that right side.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I get that Rashford is much better with his right foot and thus more comfortable cutting in from the left, but i find it strange that hes that much worse on the right compared to the left
To be fair we see this with Martial on the right and Greenwood on the left.

Players have positions so if they struggle in one its not that weird.

Would Wan Bissaka be as good as a LB? I doubt it.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
I get that Rashford is much better with his right foot and thus more comfortable cutting in from the left, but i find it strange that hes that much worse on the right compared to the left
I thought that yesterday as well. He hardly touched the ball or did anything of note. Now even if he can't play at his best on the right, he could still show so much more. But then I wonder why Pogba can't play on the right either

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
To be fair we see this with Martial on the right and Greenwood on the left.

Players have positions so if they struggle in one its not that weird.

Would Wan Bissaka be as good as a LB? I doubt it.
Imo its a bit weird since hes got a pretty free role on the left with license to roam so its not likes hes playing an out and out winger. I get that he wont pose as much of a goal threat when playing from the right, but yesterday, like many times before hes barely even involved when asked to play there

I thought that yesterday as well. He hardly touched the ball or did anything of note. Now even if he can't play at his best on the right, he could still show so much more. But then I wonder why Pogba can't play on the right either
Have we played Pogba on the right? I cant really remember us trying that

simplyared

His performances of late has nothing to do with playing on the right or left imo. I reckon he's put the brakes on a bit. Wouldn't surprise me if he's been advised to do so by the coaching staff. He's been playing at 100 mph every game since he made his debut which has obviously taken it's toll physicaĺly. A new phase in his development. It's about getting the balance right and definately needed!
Happy we've got Greenwood to come in as a back up for while anyway. Rashy will bounce back, no doubt about that!

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
The thing with Rashford this season is despite being sloppy on the ball and with his decision making.....he's still actually delivered for us. 20 goals (barely any pens at all) and 13 assists is impressive. Even more impressive when you think he's nursed an injury for most of it too.

I do think our fanbase are way too harsh on the guy. I'm pretty sure 33 goal involvements put him right up there among the best in England this season.

Djemba-Djemba

He played very well against Burnley which was only 3 games ago.

So it's not like he hasn't played well in months.

He was awful last night though, really dislike playing him on the right.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
People keep saying he’s not fit but there’s not that much evidence of it is there? He just looks passive and not very switched on.
There’s plenty of times where Ole says in his presser before a match that Rashford is “touch and go” or that “he hasn’t trained this week, so we’ll see” only for him to be on the team sheet. His management team also replied to a tweet a few weeks back which asked “when was the last time Rashford was free of injuries?” with the response “2 years ago”. Lastly, there was a Henry Winter tweet in March which said Rashford will possibly require shoulder surgery post-Euros.

You only have to watch him play to know he’s been playing with injury for a while.

youngrell

Marcus needs to adapt his game when he plays on the right side. His number one focus is almost exclusively to run towards the goal, which is fine when he's cutting in from the left but he needs to learn that when he's on the right he needs to do a bit more traditional wing work, get down the line and provide for the striker.

He just runs into congested areas far too often and doesn't have the required ability in small spaces to do so. There's few full backs who could compete with him if he went on the outside.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
He wasn't awful last night. He was quiet. Simply a bigger influence on the left.

Withnail

People keep saying he’s not fit but there’s not that much evidence of it is there? He just looks passive and not very switched on.
There’s plenty of times where Ole says in his presser before a match that Rashford is “touch and go” or that “he hasn’t trained this week, so we’ll see” only for him to be on the team sheet. His management team also replied to a tweet a few weeks back which asked “when was the last time Rashford was free of injuries?” with the response “2 years ago”. Lastly, there was a Henry Winter tweet in March which said Rashford will possibly require shoulder surgery post-Euros.

You only have to watch him play to know he’s been playing with injury for a while.
Yeah it's well documented he's carrying a long-term shoulder injury and more recently he's also had ankle trouble. From what I've read he's managing the shoulder but it's the ankle which has prevented him from training recently.

Alan Partridge

Rashford needs to mix up his game. How many successful, good crosses does he actually deliver into the box? Not very many. Always just tries to cut in, takes too many touches to the point where the final ball is compromised or never happens at all.

Regardless of what wing he plays on. Last night he was out on the right but still couldn’t deliver any balls into the box with his preferred foot. I don’t think it’s about what position he plays, his decision making and incisiveness needs to improve, or he never will. A very frustrating player. The intelligent use of the ball by the Cavani, Bruno and Pogba make Rashford deficiencies even more glaring. His body language has been bad and he doesn’t even put a shift in. Honestly deserves to be dropped, maybe it’s partly complacency.

NFM

He is carrying injuries, one not good at all. Why play him? Because even injured he can win matches , although now Greenwood has got his confidence back in front of goal, so can he. If you play Pogba on the left in big matches and Cavani is fit, it is a difficult decision, so its not exactly unusual that the Manager will go with a bit more experience if he can. But Greenwood keeps improving so that decision gets harder and harder.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
The thing with Rashford this season is despite being sloppy on the ball and with his decision making.....he's still actually delivered for us. 20 goals (barely any pens at all) and 13 assists is impressive. Even more impressive when you think he's nursed an injury for most of it too.

I do think our fanbase are way too harsh on the guy. I'm pretty sure 33 goal involvements put him right up there among the best in England this season.
Any other player who has his numbers for another club are loved by our fans.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
His angle dribbling into the box box from the right is pretty awful but if that gives us option to get the best out of Pogba it's not that bad. On another day he will still provide great cross or good piece of skill even from the right. It's just a bit unnatural for him there and he didn't play there very often.

On the other hand you have Pogba playing deep next to Fred leaving us a bit open due to his moody defending and slow movement, he can be more relaxed with losing the ball at the wing too, so that makes Rashford play on the left and Greenwood from the right which can be equally as good but ore depends on Pogba being consistent there.

Thirdoption is to play Rashford at the top and Pogba from the left and Greenwood form the right, think we should explore this a bit more since I don't remember we played many games like that but that's probably only suited to us when teams play high line against us.

Rashford is suffering a bit form being a complex player, similarly to Rooney. He also looked pretty underwhleming from the right at times too so makes sense to just shift him wide right, to acommodate Pogba who's consistently brilliant from the left as of late.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Hopeless on the right
He's hopeless on the righhhttt
That boy Marcus
Set up Cavani's goal the cross for the foul which led to the penalty Bruno converted last night

Last edited:

Godfather

Hopeless on the right
He's hopeless on the righhhttt
That boy Marcus
Set up Cavani's goal last night
Nope. Don't think he was involved in any of our 6 goals. Was mostly trotting round the pitch and running into defenders.

Born2Lose

This has become myth, he's had plenty of rotten performances playing on the left too.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
On current form, Greenwood is comfortably a better option on the right that Rashford.

It's a shame we don't have a monster CDM who could allow Bruno and Pogba to play in front of them. That would allow us to play a front 3 of Greenwood - Cavani - Rashford without having to drop Pogba or play him out of position.

stw2022

I think the problem is with playing someone who sees themselves primarily as a goal scorer out wide where it’s often imperative they focus much of their energies into creating for others. When they inevitably don’t do it they look ineffective. We desperately need wide players who will prioritise creating chances rather than taking them.

Not unique criticism to Rashford but I think when he’s trying to create for himself he’s 10x the player. Which is what you expect from a central forward but when you’re giving someone responsibility to create for others as much as for themselves it can leave them looking wanting

The Original

Imo its a bit weird since hes got a pretty free role on the left with license to roam so its not likes hes playing an out and out winger. I get that he wont pose as much of a goal threat when playing from the right, but yesterday, like many times before hes barely even involved when asked to play there

Have we played Pogba on the right? I cant really remember us trying that
We did against Liverpool. He scored.

Devil may care

He looks awkward out there, especially when running with the ball, but last night he wasn't chasing back much, he looked fed up, the problem is he's the golden boy and Ole treats him as Ronaldo when he's closer to Nani. Klopp drops Salah, Pep isn't starting Sterling all of the time, Ole needs to make Marcus compete with Pogba and Mason for one of the wide spots instead of him having a guaranteed starting spot no matter what.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Ole has a huge decision for the final. For me, no way Greenwood doesn’t get the nod ahead of him. But I think Mason is an easier target to drop and Rashford will play.

Ballache

Supports
Martial
He's playing at 70% max.
Highlights the need for a new wide forward that can play on the right.
Rashford needs to be rested and I'm scared that this might cause him some long-term problems.

cyril C

He played very well against Burnley which was only 3 games ago.

So it's not like he hasn't played well in months.

He was awful last night though, really dislike playing him on the right.
Rashford hasn't been on top of form in past month or so, since his injury way back. He is often withdraw during 70th min regardless of result. There is no-one else to replace him at the moment, even for 60min or so.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
People are forgetting he had times and times when he was also hopeless on the left. Rashford tends to be inconsistent especially due to his injury or fatigue. Can't really blame the manager for playing him since Greenwood also looked tired in Leeds game to me and also better play Rashford than James.

boxykronikle

Tired and carrying injuries leading to no surprise of his presence in matches. Give him a proper rest if Ole could but he just doesn't have any other good options besides Greenwood which is still young. I really hope he can get some rest between the 2nd leg of EL to the finals. Rashford on 100% capacity is totally different.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
I don’t get it. He has about the same effect on our game from a play making perspective on either side. Not that much at all. He’s more likely to score from the left but he also gives away the ball most of the time on the left. We also play better as a team when Pogba is on the left. On the right at least he moves it on early occasionally. If the main purpose of our team is to make Rashford look good then by all means argue away but for me he was just doing what he normally does since he came back last season but without a goal. If we have to feed any player in this squad it should be Cavani. It seems a bit silly to base your whole attacking style around playing Rashford in when he doesn’t look fit.

Last edited:

-Supreme-

He's playing at 70% max.
Highlights the need for a new wide forward that can play on the right.
Rashford needs to be rested and I'm scared that this might cause him some long-term problems.
Rashford has been playing with injuries for well over a year with his back, shoulder, ankle and even mentally with his poor decision making.

I'd say he's playing at 67.5% max in games when he played badly, but he was good against Burnley so he must have taken plenty of injections for his injuries to magically disappeared for this game.

SAFMUTD

It really amazes me how can one player be great on one side and totally shit in the other, I mean I get that cutting in with your strong foot gives you advantage to shoot but damn he looks class on the left and awful on the right.

We have a "good" problem with Pogba now, he suits really way to play up on the left and Bruno benefits a lot from this but this is Rashford's position so hard decision on weather to move Rashford to the right were he looks awful or Pogba to midfield where he doesnt shine as much as up top.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Rashford has had good performances on the right in the past, both for us and England. Obviously his percentage of good to bad performances is better on the left, but he has shown he is capable of playing well on the right. And considering he's struggling in general no matter where he is playing at the moment, I wouldn't really blame poor performances just on him being on the right. Obviously it' wouldn't help though.

tjb

Truth is our attack has been unsuccessful over the last few years because rashford and martial have been pulling this nonsense. Go to a big team, you have to adapt, especially as a winger. Pogba offers more, as would Grealish or a Sancho. Marcus isn't consistent enough to demand a specific spot in the team. To be in the eleven right now, he would have to adapt his game just like any other winger at a top club.

TheRedHearted

We should change the system then or should have bought another wide attacking young English talent