Rashfords hopeless on the right...

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
W
i”m really glad that most supporters have now begun to see the obvious(I was slated by many for starting this thread)...Rashford simply should not play on the right for Man United,as simple as that...
We have to make big decisions in games like these and drop one of him or Pogba.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
If Rashford is so talented that he can play on the wrong side, Pogba should be able to do it as well.

Put Rashford on the left and Pogba on the left. It can't be any worse than what we've been seeing recently. If nothing else, it'll let Pogba make good use of his right foot to ping crossfield passes over to Shaw. And it might even let him put in some decent crosses for Cavani.
Neither is that talented/versatile. Sancho is though so hopefully there goes that problem.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
To be fair Rashford did score his goal coming right to left, so he can do it. Although I do agree he looks so much better on the left.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
See Martial on the right. Sometimes it's just not suited to you. It's understandable imo.
Rashford (unlike Martial) has had good games on the right in the past though, both for ourselves and England. Not as consistently as he has on the left (and he's been inconsistent even there this season), but he does have some history there. That's why it's understandable that Ole is trying to get it to work, but as we go into the final I hope Greenwood gets the nod.

Born2Lose

Biggest casualty has been Greenwood, who on merit should be starting ahead of Rashford currently.

If it's lethargy or laziness a spell on the bench should be good for both.

OLLY ORANGE

He wasn't involved at all untill Mason come on and was moved.
The damage was already done. In previous matches against lpool he had been forcing Trent backwads and also getting behind him when Trent was pushed up field.
Honestly thought it was a glaring tactical problem from the off and that it was painfully slow to be changed.

Matthew84!

Rashford has been carrying injuries for ages now, If Greenwood hadn't played against Leicester perhaps he would of played a bigger part last night.
I think Ole hates leaving Rashford out as he's quick and can change a game.
I think most People would agree if we had a proper holding mid that Pogba could play with Rashford would be on the Left.
Greenwood should be nailed on starter next season. Big questions now if Sancho will be required.

LuckyScout78

He start United first team career as CF. Against Arsenal. I have always recommended and vote him as a CF option. And i hope he ends his career there. Rashford is Vardy player of mould. But maybe more skillful than Vardy. But clearly Vardy category. Of course with Vardy pace. Vardy can do a decent job as left winger too. But as mot natural position is, a CF.

I still remember the day the young Rashford came in as CF against Arsenal. His premier league debut. The header goal. Playing more instinctively. He thinks a lot more in those days. Like as left winger, like how to beat and pass players. But...as a CF. They should be more instinctively and don’t think twice. Top determination in the box. Like a sniper. Moving him around is not good for his development, special as CF. You need to specialized CF and work with the killer instinct. And it’s not by moving them around. And where is the consistent repetition on the match day then?Repetition, repetition and repetition is the key, as a natural goal scorer and finisher. Then you become really really sharp one day.

Moving him around and inconsistent roles. Always different roles. It lead another effect and path. You become a more allround, but not best in a specific area and position.

Next year CF options: Cavani, Greenwood, Rashford, include Bruno as nr.10 in some matches.

Wingers options : Sancho (L&R), Martial LW, Greenwood RW, Diallo, James

BoltonWanderer

Supports
Bolton Wanderers
Rashford is posing a problem for United at the moment. He's not as good as Pogba on the left, he's not as good as Cavani up front and he's not as good as Greenwood on the right...so where does he fit? I like the idea of a McTominay/Pogba pairing, which then allows Rashford to play on the left, but that isn't going to be suitable for all games and I don't think you get the best out of Pogba when he has to play a 'strict' role.

I don't think Rashford should be shoehorned into the team as a right winger though. Greenwood is more suited to that role, is more of a goal threat and needs games to develop.

Frank White

Rashford is posing a problem for United at the moment. He's not as good as Pogba on the left, he's not as good as Cavani up front and he's not as good as Greenwood on the right...so where does he fit? I like the idea of a McTominay/Pogba pairing, which then allows Rashford to play on the left, but that isn't going to be suitable for all games and I don't think you get the best out of Pogba when he has to play a 'strict' role.

I don't think Rashford should be shoehorned into the team as a right winger though. Greenwood is more suited to that role, is more of a goal threat and needs games to develop.
So is it just a given now Pogba is better than Rashford off the left now? Might sound petulant but personally wouldn't be changing the whole team around for someone who more than likely won't be around after next year. Now if Pogba extends his time here then fair enough.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Like I said in another thread, this thing should be a luxury problem for us - not a great conundrum.

If Rashford is decidedly underwhelming on the right (or in the middle, for that matter) - we don't play him there. Can't win anything with decidedly underwhelming players in any position, can we?

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
So is it just a given now Pogba is better than Rashford off the left now?
Ultimately? No.

Based on their performances over the last few weeks (or months) - clearly yes.

Going forward, it's also a question of opposition. Pogba may be less well suited against a certain kind of opposition. Hypothetically, with both players in good shape/form, you may prefer the one or the other based on the opposition (or how a particular match is going for us).

Having either Pogba or Rashford as an option from the bench is - potentially - brilliant.

Nikelesh Reddy

W

Pogba brings more to the team in these sort of games than Rashford in my view.Pogba has been in better form than Marcus...Ole needs to be brave enough to put Marcus on the bench...Or Ole needs to get more out of Pogba in a deep lying midfield role.

Pogba played as a deep lying midfielder in the World Cup for France,so hes certainly capable of doing it.But picking Rashford on the right is just a stupid stupid decision...

MadMike

Rashford has 21 goals (without pens) and 12 assists coming from the left. Never mind our best LW, he’s been our best forward this season hands down. He’s built a great relationship and understanding with Shaw down the left. But somehow he’s not as good as Pogba down the left???

I honestly have no idea how you guys reach that conclusion. The only reason Pogba is on the left is because Ole wants to play two DMs (McFred) in the middle with Fernandes and doesn’t know where else to fit Pogba. So he puts him on the left even though his output from there isn’t even close to Rashford’s. It messes up our attack every time because neither can Pogba play as a wide forward (make runs behind the defence) nor can Rashford replicate his from on the right side.

Last edited:

luke511

Rashford has 21 goals (without pens) and 12 assists coming from the left. Never mind our best LW, he’s been our best forward this season hands down. He’s built a great relationship and understanding with Shaw down the left. But somehow he’s not as good as Pogba down the left???

I honestly have no idea how you guys reach that conclusion. The only reason Pogba is on the left is because Ole wants to play two DMs (McFred) in the middle with Fernandes and doesn’t know where else to fit Pogba. So he puts him on the left even though his output from there isn’t even close to Rashford’s.
Questionable, Cavani is on 15 goals and 5 assists in less than half as many minutes. I agree that he's our best LW currently though.

MadMike

Questionable, Cavani is on 15 goals and 5 assists in less than half as many minutes.
Not questionable for me, exactly for the reason you mentioned. Cavani spent large periods out and was fresh for the second half of the season. He’s been more frequently rested too. His stats are indeed great but over a much smaller sample of games and minutes.

Rashford and Fernandes have been carrying our attacking threat all season with little rest. Martial was first shite and then injured, Greenwood had a long barren spell as well and Cavani was in and out of the team till Feb more or less.

Rashford has been our most influential attacker. Take his or Fernandes’ contribution out and we’re barely where Everton is on the table.

Abraxas

It seems fairly clear to me that the forwards situation shouldn't be overcomplicated.

Rashford goes on the left where he has produced productive football this year even if the form and performances have tailed off.

Greenwood is our only natural on the right as nobody else can cut inside from that position.

Cavani is the only one that can lead the line with authority.

That is without a doubt our best lineup. There will be rotation, but Pogba has to work around that for me. If he doesn't fit into the lineup against good sides then that is how it is. Or you gamble on him deep. I don't see that he really enters the equation in those forward positions until there is rotation or injury.

Knux

Supports
AIK Stockholm
He should rotate with Pogba and Cavani on LW/ST next season if we sign a RW.

. Cavani/Rashford
Pogba/Rashford Bruno/VdB Greenwood/Sancho

No place for Martial then but so be it.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Let's not pretend he's that much better on the left in his current state. On form he has no business being in the starting XI.

Heinzesight

Terrible form. If he makes the Euros it won’t be on any sort of form. For me he’s an impact sub against tired legs.

Matriac

It's a typical Rashford performance. Where he looks woeful all game, but then pulls out magic from nowhere and does a gamewinning move 15 minutes after we begged for him to be subbed off.
hopefully.

cj_sparky

He didn't want to warm up on the tougher surface on the side of the Old Trafford pitch against Fulham and was warming up on the pitch itself.

Quite clearly still carrying an injury and far too often we are carrying him.

As said though he will probably get us back into it.

Mindhunter

Can’t help but criticise him today. He has been absolutely atrocious. Such a selfish player who doesn’t look at the game situation. Taking on impossible shots and always running at players and not passing. The least you expect is a academy graduate playing for the team but he is just playing for himself. Totally frustrated with him.

DomM

Only mistake by Ole tonight, keeping Rashford on, has offered next to nothing.