Chelsea - 3
Arsenal - 2
Spurs - 1

now i think

Last edited:

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Might be as simple as - we create chances versus teams that don't sit back
It suits him better as a player. When he's running at people or running in behind it's playing to his strengths. When he's being asked to stand in the box or play with his back to goal against a 10 man defence he's never going to do much. It's like asking Maguire to be a winger.

Ole needs to wise up to what his own players are good at. Just because we're playing a defensive team doesn't mean you can't let Rashford drift wide or drop deeper. He'll still be frustrating as hell when he decides to keep shooting from crossing positions but it's more use then having him try to wrestle two centrebacks for 90 minutes

Crashoutcassius

It suits him better as a player. When he's running at people or running in behind it's playing to his strengths. When he's being asked to stand in the box or play with his back to goal against a 10 man defence he's never going to do much. It's like asking Maguire to be a winger.

Ole needs to wise up to what his own players are good at. Just because we're playing a defensive team doesn't mean you can't let Rashford drift wide or drop deeper. He'll still be frustrating as hell when he decides to keep shooting from crossing positions but it's more use then having him try to wrestle two centrebacks for 90 minutes
I agree to some extent but... no manager has really been able to crack it for united since SAF... and even in last few years of SAF we struggled to break teams down.

People joked about moyes and crossing from the byline a few years back... and jose's hoofball... seems like Ole just doesn't have a plan for it, just staunchly going to hope they come to play and that we can break

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
I thought he was very good. Looking forward to seeing himself and Pogba try to get on the same wavelength again. Any United fan who didn't get pleasure out of his performance today needs have a word with themselves.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I agree to some extent but... no manager has really been able to crack it for united since SAF... and even in last few years of SAF we struggled to break teams down.

People joked about moyes and crossing from the byline a few years back... and jose's hoofball... seems like Ole just doesn't have a plan for it, just staunchly going to hope they come to play and that we can break
Ole says things I agree with, like the point about us needing to take more risks. The problem is it's similar to LVG where he says the right things but then the next game nothing seems to have changed.

I think the problem is only half that we don't have players suited to breaking teams down. The other half of the problem is we don't really try to use the players we do have. Rashford is one of the few useful weapons we have when teams sit back. He can beat a man and he isn't afraid to take a shot on...but he isn't going to do either when we're trying to use him as a penalty box striker.

We can play without an out and out striker against defensive teams. Especially if it frees up our players to do what they're actually good at.

AneRu

True, he is not a lone striker and we don't have advanced playmakers that are good enough to get him involved. He could still improve on his decision making, I think if he improved his link play he will become a bit unpredictable if he is willing to play in others. There an instance when he had James making a run and he was on the ball but he completely ignored James when he could have easily played him in and created havoc. Such fine margins define the course of a game and ultimately a season.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
True, he is not a lone striker and we don't have advanced playmakers that are good enough to get him involved. He could still improve on his decision making, I think if he improved his link play he will become a bit unpredictable if he is willing to play in others. There an instance when he had James making a run and he was on the ball but he completely ignored James when he could have easily played him in and created havoc. Such fine margins define the course of a game and ultimately a season.
I think him, James and Pereira were all guilty of that at times today.

There was one moment just before Rashford came off where James could have played him through on goal with an easy pass. A couple where Rashford ignored or didn't see James. A couple where Pereira missed good and fairly simple options. Problem is they were all trying a bit too hard. Also the only good football we did play was probably 95% directly between these three. We need to work with what we have unfortunately.

AneRu

There was one moment just before Rashford came off where James could have played him through on goal with an easy pass. A couple where Rashford ignored or didn't see James. A couple where Pereira missed good and fairly simple options. Problem is they were all trying a bit too hard. Also the only good football we did play was probably 95% directly between these three. We need to work with what we have unfortunately.
You are right, I don't remember the James ones but for Pereira and Rashford. So if all attackers are doing that then it's something Ole has got to address because interplay amongst the front line is important in Pogba's absence. The times Pereira could have played in James and ignored him were really poor. Promising signs however, at least today we had some offensive patterns.

Irwin99

He's the anti-Lukaku, gets dominated by a Southampton centre back but gives VVD a tough game.

Good game from him today.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I checked his stats against big 6 in all competitions, if I didn't do any mistake in calculation, he averages 169 mins per G+A against big 6. That's a very good record for a 21 year old.

Untd55

Still think he is a very good player; Solskjaer has him playing way beneath his level. He has issues with his finishing, but he is better than what he has shown thus far.

TRUERED89

There was also a big moment where McT could have slipped James in clean through but he chose to go for glory instead. Fine margins as the cliché goes.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Might be as simple as - we create chances versus teams that don't sit back
Indeed, everything comes down to the lack of creativity in this side. Rashford has great movement it's just no one (bar Pogba occasionally) has the ability to pick him out. Against the bigger sides there's a lot more space to run into and thus the players feeding Rashford can just hoof it into a space and know his pace will get onto the end of it

Rashford in the City side would hit similar numbers that Sterling does (maybe not as many but certainly more than he does here)

Bestietom

Yup, he is a remarkable talent. If he continues playing up top, there is no reason why he can't score 150+ goals for the club. He is ten away from 50.
He will score most cutting in from the left not as a CF.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
There was also a big moment where McT could have slipped James in clean through but he chose to go for glory instead. Fine margins as the cliché goes.
Yeah I remember that. I think again just trying too hard and lacking a bit of composure. When you see us play like that though and make mistakes or not always pick the right option, it's a million miles better than the previous games where we look too scared to try anything in the first place.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I am not surprised. The big games suits him as it allows him to attack the space and burn defenders with his pace. Rashford struggles against the small teams as they are the one who defend deep and tend to park the bus.

Handré1990

Crazy stats vs the best teams. He is already very good, but with experience and more calmness in certain situations he’s going to be some player. Luckily there actually are people working at United who know better than a lot of so called fans. The shit he got on here after we tried to use him as a one-man attack with all the injuries was unreal. Causality is a thing, even in football.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Can someone find Ronaldo's stats against big teams for us?

edcunited1878

Can someone find Ronaldo's stats against big teams for us?
This only PL goals as there could be some crossover from his time in Madrid and Juve...so we would be excluding his rocket shot against Arsenal in the CL semi-final at the Emirates or CL Final header versus Chelsea.

v. Arsenal: 4 goals, 1 assist
v. Spurs: 4 goals, 4 assists
v. City: 3 goals, 2 assists
v. Liverpool: 2 goals, 2 assists
v. Chelsea: 0 goals, 2 assists

Total: 13 goals, 11 assists

Suedesi

There wasn't a top six when Rooney was 22.

There was definitely a firm 'big four' but the other sides floating around varied. Not really something you can compare fairly to be honest. Rashford's record is great though.
True. But Statman Dave will churn them useless stats regardless.