Rashford's record against the top 6

stepic

He plays better against big clubs because we tend to play more counter attacking football against them. That’s his bread and butter. It’s everything else he’s not great at.

Boondog

Gary mentioned on his postgame that Rash asked to play in the center. Found that interesting and to be a good sign.

Gasolin

Gary mentioned on his postgame that Rash asked to play in the center. Found that interesting and to be a good sign.
He took the accountability, that's great. He wanted to help the team, let's see.

Theo88

The bile thrown at this guy on here is so misplaced.

I think everyone here wants Rash to succeed at both football and life. But these numbers mean nothing.

He scored 4 goals and had 2 assists last year in the PL. he already has 3 this season in 6 games.

Let’s be clear here everyone expected him to pick up and improve on the ‘20 season that wasnt that prolific (11 goals 9 assists) instead we had a player who could barely dribble or shoot.

He is still struggling to dribble anythting with a pulse btw but at least there’s effort. The fans have a right to be a bit somewhat frustrated.

Withnail

I think everyone here wants Rash to succeed at both football and life. But these numbers mean nothing.

He scored 4 goals and had 2 assists last year in the PL. he already has 3 this season in 6 games.

Let’s be clear here everyone expected him to pick up and improve on the ‘20 season that wasnt that prolific (11 goals 9 assists) instead we had a player who could barely dribble or shoot.

He is still struggling to dribble anythting with a pulse btw but at least there’s effort. The fans have a right to be a bit somewhat frustrated.
Let's be clear we were expecting him to improve or keep up with the previous year in which he had 17 goals and 7 assists in 31 appearances in the league. I'm not sure why you chose the following year in which his output was lower.

Theo88

Let's be clear we were expecting him to improve or keep up with the previous year in which he had 17 goals and 7 assists in 31 appearances in the league. I'm not sure why you chose the following year in which his output was lower.
Sorry i might be getting my wires crossed i was thinking the year i chose was the one he was still considered to be plagued by injuries. So a lower standard was in fact to some extent anticipated. The year he got 17 goals he was healthy. I’m just setting up a baseline. We are saying the same thing from a different pov.

AFC NimbleThumb

Saying 32 G/A against the better sides in the league in a 6 year career ‘means nothing’ is the exact nonsense I’m on about.

Is Rashford our Mbappe? Well, no but I struggle to take the ridiculous ‘frustrations’ aimed at Rashford by a fanbase that largely tried to tell me Shaw & bloody Maguire were good enough for years. Being disappointed in Rashford is understandable, it’s the disproportionate criticism I take issue with.

32 G/A against the top 6 ‘means nothing’ :rolleyes:

Strelok

Imo if this is true it simply means Rashford doesn't trust or want Ronaldo as our #9 at all. He clearly see and fancies himself as an inside forward/ winger from ages ago.

Anyway always a big game player. Hope he'd build on this and come back to his top form.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Imo if this is true it simply means Rashford doesn't trust or want Ronaldo as our #9 at all. He clearly see and fancies himself as an inside forward/ winger from ages ago.

Anyway always a big game player. Hope he'd build on this and come back to his top form.
Or it’s the only position where he has a chance to keep his place. Wide positions he wouldn’t start over Sancho and Antony. Centrally the competition is an old Ronaldo and a Martial made of glass.

Strelok

Or it’s the only position where he has a chance to keep his place. Wide positions he wouldn’t start over Sancho and Antony. Centrally the competition is an old Ronaldo and a Martial made of glass.
Yeah that's also a possibility. But tbh I don't think Sancho or Antony has done anything to make them untouchable yet. Atm I rate Rashford, Sancho and Antony equally. Each has his strength and weakness. We have a lot of matches to play rotating them between is barely enough for the season imo.

Anyway ETH clearly rates Rashford over Ronaldo as our second choice for the #9 position I think.

jem

He still looks a far way off the player we saw in the fall of 2019, but he's definitely taking steps in the right direction. Ideally, I'd like to see him fighting it out with Sancho for the LW spot.

Mr Smith

He still looks a far way off the player we saw in the fall of 2019, but he's definitely taking steps in the right direction. Ideally, I'd like to see him fighting it out with Sancho for the LW spot.
I'd actually rather try to see if he can be a striker after all; we're finally stacked with wingers, and with the great striker shortage in the market right now, we could really do with just making one.

Mike Smalling

He plays better against big clubs because we tend to play more counter attacking football against them. That’s his bread and butter. It’s everything else he’s not great at.
Definitely. He also did not look effective with his back to goal or in aerial duels yesterday, so he needs the space to turn or receive the ball with his front to goal. Obviously, he won't have that in most cases.

stepic

Definitely. He also did not look effective with his back to goal or in aerial duels yesterday, so he needs the space to turn or receive the ball with his front to goal. Obviously, he won't have that in most cases.
yeah, hence he's not really a great option up top. he's best on the left against teams where he has space to run into. it's a fairly narrow window of opportunity to shine, hence his numbers. he will be useful in certain ciscumstances, but i wouldn't be starting him against most teams in the league though, not when Martial isn't injured anyway. Sancho offers more when there's less space available, so he should start on the left, Martial or Ronaldo up top. Rashford can be a useful sub, or start against big clubs.

Giggsy13

Here we go, same old shit about Rashford even though he’s had an excellent start to the season.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Surprised at that! Always thought he scored a few against them.

His debut goals were brilliant though.
well tbf Arsenal have been a top 8 side more than they've been top 6 in recent years:smirk:

jem

I'd actually rather try to see if he can be a striker after all; we're finally stacked with wingers, and with the great striker shortage in the market right now, we could really do with just making one.
The problem is, in my opinion, that he's just not cut out for that position.

jem

Here we go, same old shit about Rashford even though he’s had an excellent start to the season.
I wouldn't say it's been excellent. He was utterly anonymous in the first two games (and that's putting in kindly) and has been inconsistent in a few other games. But he is producing big moments, which is definitely a welcome sight.

Gasolin

yeah, hence he's not really a great option up top. he's best on the left against teams where he has space to run into. it's a fairly narrow window of opportunity to shine, hence his numbers. he will be useful in certain ciscumstances, but i wouldn't be starting him against most teams in the league though, not when Martial isn't injured anyway. Sancho offers more when there's less space available, so he should start on the left, Martial or Ronaldo up top. Rashford can be a useful sub, or start against big clubs.
Why? He made the perfect decision on the first goal to assist Antony while attracting 2+ defenders. It was a top notch assist.

stepic

Why? He made the perfect decision on the first goal to assist Antony while attracting 2+ defenders. It was a top notch assist.
he will have to do this a little more consistently playing as a striker for my liking. he has way been too anonymous up top in the rest of the games this season. as i say, all his goals have come playing wide on the counter.

Gasolin

he will have to do this a little more consistently playing as a striker for my liking. he has way been too anonymous up top in the rest of the games this season. as i say, all his goals have come playing wide on the counter.
Speed is a critical thing in the modern game and Rashford has it, he's strong too. I think he's developing his confidence. And I prefer a player who doesn't waste time trying to dribble and focus on being efficient on the ball because we don't have the time to waste chances. When you are clinical in a football game, you hurt the opposition psychologically. Even more if you're very quiet the whole game because it can lead to the defenders forgetting about you. It's not always a bad thing. I hope he keeps it that way: anonymous, until he scores the goal that kills the opposition's spirit.

The counter attacking aspect of the goals, well the 1st goal (his assist) and the 3rd goal weren't really a counter attack. Rashford made the effort to follow Eriksen on his run and he should be commended for that.

Herman Toothrot

Brilliant player. There is nothing as exciting as bringing a local boy to the top table of football. He's the most exciting player to come though our system since Giggs or Scholes thirty years ago. Rashford makes me feel proud to support Manchester United.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Always been a big game player. This season he's turned into a consistent player in the other games too which has been the best change with him.

Jed I. Knight

The Mos Eisley Hillbilly
Brilliant player. There is nothing as exciting as bringing a local boy to the top table of football. He's the most exciting player to come though our system since Giggs or Scholes thirty years ago. Rashford makes me feel proud to support Manchester United.
Absolutely. You just hope that he will see out his career with us, and that he’ll be part of our resurgence, getting us back to the very top of football — as opposed to going the Michael Owen route.

Potentially one of the great storylines of the post Fergie era, and one that could come close to that of Giggs and Scholes!

Withnail

They were saying on the Talk of Devils pod that if he scores in our next home game he'll be the first United player in history to score in 10 consecutive home games.

norm87cro

I just love how all the haters wont even admit he is playing great at this stage. Its getting a bit sad by this point

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Now I know Barcelona probably aren't a top 6 side in the PL but bump anyway :smirk:

Djemba-Djemba

He really is a sensational big game player.

It's a great knack to have.

Just needs a cup final goal now, and luckily we are in one soon...