Rasmus Højlund | Signed for United

Status
Not open for further replies.

gajender

I'd be interested to know who this "experienced" striker would be if Levy refuses to sell Kane.
Mehdi Taremi from Porto should definitely be under consideration favourable contract situation while still at good age to contribute but should be comfortable sharing minutes in theory and also some what of similar profile to Højlund so that's the added bonus as rotating them wouldn't disrupt team dynamic much .

Last edited:

ROFLUTION

I think we're always trying to sign up youth academy players. All clubs are I guess, we have huge numbers of scouts for exactly that.

Not at 10-15 million on average though because I think that may not work out statistically in terms of success rates. I guess you're saying that with the idea of getting the best youth products, but I think the problem is that at the earlier stages of youth development the risk is inherently high so the fees may not guarantee much except for haemorrhaging money when they don't work out. We've signed quite a few foreign players for youth teams and not many have actually made it despite glowing reports in Europe about their ability. I don't think that's because they weren't top prospects at the time, it's just the nature of it.

With youth players you have to see 2-3 years down the line just to be a realistic prospect for a bench place. Then probably 2 more years development to be good enough, mature enough physically and mentally to be a regular contributor at first time level for a club like United. It's a very hard problem to solve with accuracy when you're looking at a stick thin 15-16 year old in a Belgian academy.

With the Hojland profile of player, you get to skip quite a few steps and have way more visibility of potential. Comparing against top players in a top league. You pay for that privilege of course. At the end of the day you're right in the sense you've got to back youth as well or there's no point in an academy. Ideally we'd have the expertise to operate effectively across all ages and profiles to ensure there's a conveyor belt.
All good and fair points, but spending 5 x 10m on great talents instead of 1 like Hølund for 50m also spreads the risk. In business (generally speaking) spreading the risk is good. As you mention some might fail and some might just make the bench, but that’s okay too imo as 10-15m for a bench player is a fair price at Manchester United.

Time and a long run of games to develop for a 50m player like Højlund is also a factor. With an academy player like Garnacho, McTominay or whoever, it is generally more accepted that they’re in and out of the squad until the right one performs and “make it”.

If we sign a player with a 50m pricetag then we kind of have to play him to justify the outlay. And we have to be patient too by giving a long run of games, which is not optimal if the player dont perform.

Spreading the risk and creating competition is also something that has worked incredibly well at City (except for Haaland) they’ve usually bought two big talents for each position instead of a big name and then made them compete and drive the best out of them. We could of course do this with Højlund and another big talent too, but the point is that a lot of big talents creates competition and therefore in itself develops these players maybe 10-20% more

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Some of you are simply taking the percentage without factoring your assessment on the players potential.

Back then Real Madrid has bought a 18 year old Vinicius Junior for 40m, absolutely insane money at that time for someone so unproven and inexperienced. Granted it took a while for him to develop after moving there, he is now one of best forwards in the world.

If you think it’s too long and we can’t afford that time, look no further at Enzo, who has been linked to us last summer for around 15m. Finally we pass the chance to sign him and he was grabbed by Benfica for around the same price. And it only took another 6 months for Chelsea to splash 130m on him.

And people wonder why we are so bad in doing players transfer business.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Prices are crazy these days of course but this a bit beside the point. You are paying for potential.

If you could go back in time and sign Harry Kane aged 20 for 55m would you do it, knowing how great a player he becomes? Of course you would. That's the gamble you take with young players.
Ferguson would be even more if he could be pried out of Brighton and he's 2 years younger. But thankfully he's not going anywhere!

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Is he really any good? Piatek was good for a while too in Serie A

RedBanker

I love you Ole
Some of you are simply taking the percentage without factoring your assessment on the players potential.

Back then Real Madrid has bought a 18 year old Vinicius Junior for 40m, absolutely insane money at that time for someone so unproven and inexperienced. Granted it took a while for him to develop after moving there, he is now one of best forwards in the world.

If you think it’s too long and we can’t afford that time, look no further at Enzo, who has been linked to us last summer for around 15m. Finally we pass the chance to sign him and he was grabbed by Benfica for around the same price. And it only took another 6 months for Chelsea to splash 130m on him.

We bought Martial for more i think?

Telsim

The lad is huge, strong, and fast. Also appears to have a surprising amount of technique. Holds the ball well and even brings his teammates into the game as well. The only questions are his mentality and attitude, but only those actively working with him would know, so it's up to the club to do due diligence on that. He will never be as good as Haaland (but who is?), but if he puts in the work, I can see him flourishing under Ten hag and his coaching staff, and being good for us. The striker market is barren and ridiculously overpriced. so a £40-50M fee seems fair enough. It's a risk, but we have already taken so called "proven" players, like Maguire and Sancho, and it hasn't worked out for us.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
We bought Martial for more i think?
Think that’s true, but Martial was relatively less of a gamble at that time as he also won the Golden Boy and has called up to France in the same year when he joined us.

Vinicius Junior was a total unknown when Real bought him for 40m at age 17, when he barely even kick a ball in football game. There was an agreement for him to stay at Flamengo for a year before moving to Real at age 18.

NoPace

https://fbref.com/en/players/491a433d/Rasmus-Hojlund

His being in the 99th percentile (among forwards) for progressive passes received and 90th percentile for touches in the box make me a tad worried he's in a wonderful position to be Atalanta's striker, because Zapata and Muriel have peaked at Atalanta under Gasperini (and not so prolific for Colombia simultaneously), but Ilicic and Papu Gomez were really brilliant playmakers and they're gone and Lookman and Palisic just aren't that level of creative talents (I know Lookman has improved) so it's probably unfair to ding him for that too much.

Can't offer much evaluation in terms of the actual player, haven't seen him play a full 90 yet, just highlights. You'd have to think he might need a year or 2 as a backup.

ROFLUTION

Vinicius is a good example, but the good examples are there to see because they make it and therefore is more visible.

The bad examples are forgotten and players/talents for spanish clubs like Jovic, Malcom, Semedo were all very good talents too when signing and now they just aren't.

The point is a lot of players have potential, but it can go both ways. Watching only the Enzo/Vinicius examples paints a wrong picture.

CantonaManc

See where they play, how they play, if they play..
Supports
ETH's tricky reds
Which is likely why we are looking at him. We know what Kane can do, but a youngster to then learn the ropes from hin would need to be able to look after himself in the PL.
This will be big statement by us if we manage to bring in two strikers in one window. regardless if we bring Kane
Buying a player for what he has done in the past is exactly why we are always in this rebuilding phase without ever achieving anything of not. Let the scouts and coaches run the rule over him, if they feel he has the technical, physical and mental attributes to be a top player here in two or three years then bring him and groom him for the role. We should discard this 'win now' mentality and build a side that will gel and grow with time.

For what it's worth, our primary goal scorer is Rashford, he has been our top scorer for most of the previous seasons and has just come into his own as goalscorer. What this means is that we can afford to have a link up striker or striker who isn't exactly there but who will improve as we go along whilst Rashford is doing his thing. Hojlund isn't Werghost/Martial levels inept, he could come in and do a job right now whilst he grows into his own.
I disagree here with you, because United have not bought one good striker in recent years to lead our attack, it was always something on loan or for a short period of time. Tell me one club in the world of United caliber that hasn't had an established striker in their team for the last 10 years.

Last world class striker we had was Van Persie, we tried with Lukaku and Ronaldo, but things didn't work out for them, however, I think our priority is to buy world class striker this summer, regardless of his price who is ready to step in from day 1.
And as for Hojlund, I like him, but he's not ready to lead our front yet, I'm sick of being told every year that we're building for the next 2 or 3 years and groom him for the role, enough with this.

This summer we should do the opposite of what you said.
Now is the time to buy players like Kane,Rice etc to push for the premier league next season, we have the foundation, it's time to build on it.

jamesjimmybyrondean

I wouldn't be against spending 55m on him if that means we still get a good striker,, goalkeeper, center back and center midfielder. Which is why the Vinicius example may be a poor one. Madrid were a club with a complete squad challenging for top trophies. They could afford spending big on unproven talent that will barely play.

Also seen mention of how we could miss out on him and he would develop into an expensive signing. As if 55m isn't already expensive enough

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Vinicius is a good example, but the good examples are there to see because they make it and therefore is more visible.

The bad examples are forgotten and players/talents for spanish clubs like Jovic, Malcom, Semedo were all very good talents too when signing and now they just aren't.

The point is a lot of players have potential, but it can go both ways. Watching only the Enzo/Vinicius examples paints a wrong picture.
While I agree there are many failed projects, it’s really up to our scouts and manager to unearth those young talents which would suit our project in hand. If they don’t think Hojlund is the right player for us, they shouldn’t go for him even if he only cost less than 10m or something. However if they do rated his potential, 55m shouldn’t be an obstacle.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I wouldn't be against spending 55m on him if that means we still get a good striker,, goalkeeper, center back and center midfielder. Which is why the Vinicius example may be a poor one. Madrid were a club with a complete squad challenging for top trophies. They could afford spending big on unproven talent that will barely play.

Also seen mention of how we could miss out on him and he would develop into an expensive signing. As if 55m isn't already expensive enough
Well Haaland only cost 4m few years back and was very much attainable according to Ole, and later again we rejected the chance to buy him for 20m before he went to Dortmund. The thing with young talents, if we miss the train, we miss the train, someone else would take him and become forever regrets for us.

Same goes for Enzo, we miss the train to sign him for 15m last summer, he then cost Chelsea 130m. I am sure you lots would be happier if we are going to sign Enzo for 15m instead of wrestling for Mount for around 55-80m.

But no, we don’t spend money on unknowns, we’d rather overpay huge amount on established star, who often later become flops.

Last edited:

jamesjimmybyrondean

Did a little research for a few names for the experienced striker role. There's Ben Yedder, Gérard Moreno, Rodrigo, Taremi, Icardi, Morata and Fulkrug.

I think I'm particularly intruiged by Taremi though that's just purely based on looking at his stats. He'd probably be cheap to with one year left and Portos situation

arthurka

Didn't we buy Martial as a youngster 8 years ago for 30m rising to 50m or something. You will always need to pay for potential and this kid has it.

redcucumber

Fast, strong, somewhat explosive forward.. he's a lot better than Darwin Nunez, right? Somewhat apprehensive about this. His touch seems a bit average, from the extremely limited highlights I've watched.

cheekybackheel

We should be paying £35-40m tops for this guy.
They want £60m for a player they bought for £15m only a while ago. Again, another club taking the fekin piss because we're United.

I really hope that when the new owners come in they change that mentality in other clubs, that were not going to get fleeced just because we're United. We need to start putting more pressure on the players themselves, that we are only going to pay a certain amount and if they want the move to United then they have to play hardball with their club and force the move through. Otherwise we walk.

£60m...ffs. Go do one.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
Right profile of player to sign, but from the little I’ve seen, he doesn’t inspire me. Still, this is the type of signing we should be making.

cheekybackheel

Reads like a sarcastic post but anyway, Real Madrid spent 40 mill on Vinicius at the age of 16. He was quite ridiculed his first few seasons and didn't make his significant RM breakthrough before after turning 21.
Then don't read it. No ones forcing you to.

Drainy

They want £60m for a player they bought for £15m only a while ago. Again, another club taking the fekin piss because we're United.

I really hope that when the new owners come in they change that mentality in other clubs, that were not going to get fleeced just because we're United. We need to start putting more pressure on the players themselves, that we are only going to pay a certain amount and if they want the move to United then they have to play hardball with their club and force the move through. Otherwise we walk.

£60m...ffs. Go do one.
I think fans don't really appreciate how warped the transfer market is, especially for striking prospects going to a wealthy club.

Mainoldo

Did a little research for a few names for the experienced striker role. There's Ben Yedder, Gérard Moreno, Rodrigo, Taremi, Icardi, Morata and Fulkrug.

I think I'm particularly intruiged by Taremi though that's just purely based on looking at his stats. He'd probably be cheap to with one year left and Portos situation
Do you think any of those names are acceptable for a title challenge next season?

redcucumber

Jesus Christ. There's censorship of literally spelling out his name?! There's a conversation in a thread in the general discussing whether or not he's being brought back in the fold. Seems incredibly random on here with that particular topic.

Lyng

£60m...ffs. Go do one.
What did we pay for Antony? Chelsea for Mudry?
60 seems like the price you would imagine based on the current market.

Bondi77

£60m...ffs. Go do one.
Totally agree.
I thought we addressed this when we played hardball with Sporting over Bruno and we sent out a message we were not going to be fleeced in the transfer market...it didn't last for long.

Idxomer

Exactly. Let’s stick to Kane, Osihmen, Ramos, Vlahovic and Kolo Muani
Only the first two on this list are acceptable for a title challenge and they don't guarantee anything really.

Hojlund is basically saying we'll depend on Rashford and Martial for the striker position again next season. He's as ready as Sesko was last season. People overrate that kind of talent all the time here.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Nobody here was talking about him 6 months ago. How has he suddenly become favorite for the CF transfer that we are looking for?

jamesjimmybyrondean

Nobody here was talking about him 6 months ago. How has he suddenly become favorite for the CF transfer that we are looking for?
Only the first two on this list are acceptable for a title challenge and they don't guarantee anything really.

Hojlund is basically saying we'll depend on Rashford and Martial for the striker position again next season. He's as ready as Sesko was last season. People overrate that kind of talent all the time here.
Similar thing happened to Sesko last season. Nobody knew who he was until we got linked with him once. Then people wanted us to spend 40m on him j

Woziak

I genuinely believe our First option is to buy Kane and have R Hojlund as a back up because the kids young and can play across any of the front three positions. We won’t sign Kane but could sign him in January if we are in a title challenge as Levy will be desperate to get £60m knowing he’s going to lose a prized asset on a free. Therefore we are looking at a 6 month fix as option 2 and it seems we want Neymar on loan, move Marcus in some games to 9 have Rasmus Hojlund on the bench with Antony or Sancho, Garnaucho and maybe Amad. We might sign a more experienced M Thuram whose 26 and can also play anywhere in front free plus he’s on a free.

It seems the big money for a striker looks too be moved towards a M Caciedo or D Rice and M Mount to upgrade the Midfield. We want osimhen or Kane but both cost a fortune. We could easily negotiate R Hojlund at €45m plus €15m add on clauses which the club and he might achieve but this is how the deal will go and make sense.

Its clear for once, the club has a strategy driven by ETH and supported by JM.

Diego Costa(£60m) in goal as our new number 1, KMJ as an upgrade on H Maguire (£45m) at CB, D Rice at CDM (£100m), M Mount (£45m) as an upgrade on C Ericsen and R Hojlund as our temporary 9 to support Marcus (£40m) and Neymar on a 2 year loan deal. This lot will cost nearly £290m or probably £200m net after we sell players.

I think A Rabiot and M Thurham on frees are also in the mix dependent on ETH view of squad depth.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.

£60m...ffs. Go do one.
But young forwards with noticeable potential are all expensive these days anyway. For example Ramos is valued 100m, Vlahovic is valued at 80m. We also have Nunez last season costing Liverpool 80m+. Muani is also valued at 85-100m.

Status
Not open for further replies.