Gaming Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart (PS5) | 88 MetaCritic / 89 OpenCritic

Raw

Got to say I have never played a R & C game but after reading this thread and a couple of reviews ... makes me wonder if I've missed summat.

Is it worth playing the 2016 release before a Rift Apart?
It's a fantastic series of games. I'd recommend playing the original trilogy, the humour and feel of it is different (I personally prefer it) but they're still the same sort of games that are a lot of fun. Don't really take too long to beat either. There's the HD remasters of the original trilogy but beware that they are quite buggy.

There's also a bunch of spinoffs, some of which aren't all that good so you can ignore them if you wish.

The 2016 release is essentially a reboot of the very first game but it's so different that it's worth playing the original too (though the gameplay is quite dated). There's quite a bit of debate over which one is better but you can see for yourself.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
They released a 60fps patch.
Ah, ok. I may check that out later. I'm trying to catch up with a load of older games that I missed while waiting for something big new and shiny. Rift Apart is getting some great comments so will try and fill some of the earlier gaps before heading into it.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
60 quid on currys website.
Edit: ordered from CEX for 65 (had a voucher spare).

Last edited:

Irwin99

Easy enough plat?
I'm one away from it and it's been very easy. This last one is an annoying weapon specific trophy but the rest have been easy collectibles and story related tasks.

Much easier than R&C PS4 (that racing trophy :mad: )

Bosws87

What's the playthrough time 6/7 hours?

Will pick it up at some point.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses

Nah, 11 if you mainline it apparently and 16 to 100%. Not as bad as you'd expect.

Bosws87

Nah, 11 if you mainline it apparently and 16 to 100%. Not as bad as you'd expect.
Actually better then i expected that's a pleasant surprise.

I'm guilty of mainlining all games, aint got the patience for this 100% stuff.

b82REZ

I'd guess it took me about 10 hours.

I've got about 70% of achievements done in that time. I did purposely start to slow down as the end was approaching because I was really enjoying it. I'd guess you could do it in 6 hours if you only focused on the story and played on easy.

Volumiza

Just playing the 2016 R&C and can’t believe how much I’m enjoying it. No idea why I’ve never played this, just never interested me. Great fun, good story, solid characters and the graphics are lovely.

Like finding treasure!

Berbasbullet

Just playing the 2016 R&C and can’t believe how much I’m enjoying it. No idea why I’ve never played this, just never interested me. Great fun, good story, solid characters and the graphics are lovely.

Like finding treasure!
I haven’t done it tbf, need to play it as I got the new one coming tomorrow.

Volumiza

I haven’t done it tbf, need to play it as I got the new one coming tomorrow.
I only downloaded it out of curiosity as everyone was saying how good it was … they were right. Enjoying it a million times more than I thought I would.

I’ll get the new one immediately after finishing this one.

Bosws87

Purchased this last night only played an hour or so.

using performance Ray tracing mode, impressed with just how clean the game looks I know it’s running at a lower resolution then standard performance mode but the upscaling method is really good.

Really good image quality game seems fun so far if a little easy but I expected as much!

b82REZ

Purchased this last night only played an hour or so.

using performance Ray tracing mode, impressed with just how clean the game looks I know it’s running at a lower resolution then standard performance mode but the upscaling method is really good.

Really good image quality game seems fun so far if a little easy but I expected as much!
It isn't really hard but the last few missions do ramp up significantly. I'm amazed by the sheer amount of action going on at any point and it doesn't even seem like it's breaking a sweat.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I only downloaded it out of curiosity as everyone was saying how good it was … they were right. Enjoying it a million times more than I thought I would.

I’ll get the new one immediately after finishing this one.
I’m enjoying it more than I thought too actually even though I did play the older games back in the day. It’s actually considerably harder than I thought it would be on the hardest difficulty.

Ainu

I went ahead and bought it for 80 euros, feck it. Some mates are coming over to watch our match (Belgium) this evening so I figured this is the perfect game to use as a showcase afterwards. Think it'll blow everyone's mind. I actually don't want to touch it until then to get blown away alongside them. :D

Bosws87

I went ahead and bought it for 80 euros, feck it. Some mates are coming over to watch our match (Belgium) this evening so I figured this is the perfect game to use as a showcase afterwards. Think it'll blow everyone's mind. I actually don't want to touch it until then to get blown away alongside them. :D
The opening segment of gameplay is a visual showcase, so defo worth leaving untouched.

Alock1

Picking this up later today, even missing the Xbox extended thingy to do so!

For those who want disc so you can sell/trade it after, check Facebook Marketplace. So long as mine holds up, the guy is selling it sealed for £50.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Great game. Easy platinum. Tempted for another playthrough to Max everything out. Easy one for your collection @Damien

Congrats! I'm still playing the 2016 remake. Only got a few trophies left but there's an annoying one where you have to hit every enemy with the Groovitron. A few of those weapons in the screenshot are in the 2016 game too - Apocalypse Glove, Peacemaker, Doom Blades, Pixelizer, but guessing the Groovitron isn't?

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Congrats! I'm still playing the 2016 remake. Only got a few trophies left but there's an annoying one where you have to hit every enemy with the Groovitron. A few of those weapons in the screenshot are in the 2016 game too - Apocalypse Glove, Peacemaker, Doom Blades, Pixelizer, but guessing the Groovitron isn't?
Sadly not - I’d forgotten about that one actually. Enjoyed seeing the different enemies do a boogy :lol:

Alock1

Great game. Easy platinum. Tempted for another playthrough to Max everything out. Easy one for your collection @Damien
Nice mate. I started it last night. Where's it rank of those 140 games you've completed this year then?

Tiber

I enjoyed every second of that. Might be the best in the series.

Story also sets up a very interesting sequel

Tiber

Some of the guns have been around since PS2/PS3, but I always enjoy seeing them again

Berbasbullet

It still shocks me how fast this console loads, 12 seconds I timed from main PS5 menu then into playing the game.

Last edited:

Alock1

It still shocks me how fast this console loads, 12 seconds I timed from load into the game again
It's easily my favourite thing about this gen. Even playing backwards compatible games, I'm playing more often because I can jump into them so quickly and don't spend my time on loading screens.

Berbasbullet

It's easily my favourite thing about this gen. Even playing backwards compatible games, I'm playing more often because I can jump into them so quickly and don't spend my time on loading screens.
Yeah literally! It’s actually jarring how fast it is. You’re right I have much more impetus to quickly jump in and out now.