Gaming Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart (PS5) | 88 MetaCritic / 89 OpenCritic

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Two questions:

1. is this easy on the hardest setting?

2. does the hardest setting unlock a harder setting?

Ta!

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
For the most part yes though there are a few tricky parts.

No - you unlock challenge mode after completing the game on any setting.
Cheers. I have it and have played the first bit before the reality warping really starts - prefer my games to be almost infuriatingly hard to complete for the sense of accomplishment, so just wondered where on the difficulty scale this game takes you.

It's a fantastic showcase of the machine, I must say.

siw2007

Just got the platinum on the game. Got to say, this is a phenomenally good game. Easily one of the best I’ve played in a long while, the graphics are amazing, it plays like a dream, it’s incredibly fun, it’s just a huge accomplishment whichever way you look at it. Got to be a GOTY contender.

Ainu

It's a fantastic game. I'm not too far in yet, just reached the part where you hit the crystals to instantly switch dimensions. That stuff just blows my mind. The sheer scale of the of the level and the amount of stuff going on is incredible and to instantly switch back and forth between two completely different versions of that, without even the slightest hitch, is astonishing. It's not a completely new idea, we've seen variations on this before, most recently in The Medium, but never at this scale, with this level of detail and witch such a radical change.

It's not just the rift stuff either, the entire thing is great. Fun new characters, beautiful worlds and great movement and combat. Every battle has so much stuff going on. Often in games I'll stick to one or two weapons that work really well for me but in this I pretty much go through every single weapon in my arsenal in each battle, it's just so much fun. The 2016 game wasn't bad but this is on another level for me.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
It's a fantastic game. I'm not too far in yet, just reached the part where you hit the crystals to instantly switch dimensions. That stuff just blows my mind. The sheer scale of the of the level and the amount of stuff going on is incredible and to instantly switch back and forth between two completely different versions of that, without even the slightest hitch, is astonishing. It's not a completely new idea, we've seen variations on this before, most recently in The Medium, but never at this scale, with this level of detail and witch such a radical change.

It's not just the rift stuff either, the entire thing is great. Fun new characters, beautiful worlds and great movement and combat. Every battle has so much stuff going on. Often in games I'll stick to one or two weapons that work really well for me but in this I pretty much go through every single weapon in my arsenal in each battle, it's just so much fun. The 2016 game wasn't bad but this is on another level for me.
Tbf I find I keep doing that because I'm constantly running out of ammo. Probably my only grievance with the game so far.

Bosws87

I read they introduced a 40fps patch for people with 120hz 4k tv's so you can have both fidelity image quality and ray tracing at a smoother framerate.

If anyone has a 4k 120hz tv that is.

Should make performance a considerable upgrade on the dreadful 30fps fidelity mode.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I read they introduced a 40fps patch for people with 120hz 4k tv's so you can have both fidelity image quality and ray tracing at a smoother framerate.

If anyone has a 4k 120hz tv that is.

Should make performance a considerable upgrade on the dreadful 30fps fidelity mode.
Why does it have to be a 120hz tv to play at 40fps :confused:

Bosws87

Why does it have to be a 120hz tv to play at 40fps :confused:
Always best to have a frame rate that is divisible exactly by the Hertz of the screen.

You will get 3 identical frames every second where as on a 60 hertz display you will get 1.5 which would cause screen tearing and possible a weird stutter/judder effect.

The faster refresh rate and it being divisible as a whole number by the frames per second will mean the games controls and response will be drastically improved and no screen tearing/judder

add on the extra 10 fps and the all round appearance of the game will just appear smoother

I think that's right but i might be wrong on a few aspects.

TLDR: game will perform and control much smoother.

Very similar to how variable refresh rate technology works on the newer tv's it matches the frames per second and the hertz together so the game appears super smooth and drops are nowhere near as noticeable.

Alfie092

Yeah true, I did want to play Integrade and play through FF7 Remake again with the patch but may play through this first.
Did you end up playing through this? If yes, how did you find it? Looking to get it myself after reading up on several positive reviews.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Did you end up playing through this? If yes, how did you find it? Looking to get it myself after reading up on several positive reviews.
I did. It’s a wonderful game, I’d highly recommend it. That said it is on the short side (took me around 15 hours to platinum). But yeah lots of fun, a proper next gen experience.

Massive Spanner

It's stunningly good. Got the plat after around 15 hours too.

I also think it's more fun if you try get every gun to level 5 and once a gun is level 5 you avoid using it when you can, makes it a better challenge too.

Definitely going to replay it on a harder difficulty or NG+ at some point.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
It's stunningly good. Got the plat after around 15 hours too.

I also think it's more fun if you try get every gun to level 5 and once a gun is level 5 you avoid using it when you can, makes it a better challenge too.

Definitely going to replay it on a harder difficulty or NG+ at some point.
I wish they’d bring the Groovatron back.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Just dropped this on my Son. He's over the moon! :lol:

Cant wait to get a look at this later...

Alfie092

I did. It’s a wonderful game, I’d highly recommend it. That said it is on the short side (took me around 15 hours to platinum). But yeah lots of fun, a proper next gen experience.
Bought the game, even though I've only done around 1.5 hours of gameplay so far, I'm absolutely loving it! Spiderman Miles Morales was amazing and I think this will turn out to be equally as good!

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM
I absolutely love this game. Finally finished the Gold Cup, just about at the finish line with the main story. It's been a blast.

evil_geko

I thought this game could only function on PS5 because of it's specific "crazy fast" SSD? :wenger:

It was such a blatant bullshit lie, I can't believe some people actually believed that.

Last edited:

Massive Spanner

It was such a fun game. One of my favourites in the last few years.

is there a studio as good as Insomniac as good at consistently pumping out good, solid, fun games? I don’t think so.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Doing a trophy run with this at the moment. Great little game.

Von Mistelroum

I've been playing this recently as I got a PS5 slim and the Portal (and the Dualsense Edge) after selling a load of other tech. Best game I've played on PS5 so far! Love the graphics and the game is just pure fun.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I've been playing this recently as I got a PS5 slim and the Portal (and the Dualsense Edge) after selling a load of other tech. Best game I've played on PS5 so far! Love the graphics and the game is just pure fun.
It’s such a bundle of joy. Think of playing it again sometime.