Votes: 4 1.3%

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • 10 - OMG! OMG! OMG!

Votes: 5 1.6%

• Total voters

RedPed

Whatabouter.
4/10

Midfield is a desolate wasteland. One injury away from disaster. I'd have said 8 if we'd got a solid CM in.

I'm optimistic about defence and attack
Just need to hope that we can get a tune out of Fred. If Sanchez could also do what we all know he can, we could still be ok?

Alabaster Codify7

Right, now its dusted.

We needed a RB, a CB, two CM's, a RW and a STR if Lukaku left (which he did).

We signed a RB and a CB.

2/6.

Transfer window score = 3/10. Absolutely disgusting.

The Uncle of All Uncles

I'll admit that I was a lot more excited at the weekend when Maguire was signed and it looked like Dybala and Mandzukic were coming. At that point I'd have rated it a 9/10 window.

However, I do have to look at it coldly and say that with so much money being spent over the past few years and many of those players being such a disappointment, then we have to admit to ourselves that buying new players isn't magically going to fix the real problems. It's really going to come down to coaching to make the difference, that's the real hard work.

Macern

Pee pee pants
Are you feckers on hallucinagens? We just sold Lukaku with no replacement, lost Herrera on a free. Our window is shambles.

0/10
I know, Lukaku was so good especially at pressing and he was a perfect fit. We just lost our best and most influential player. Herrera was world class and we now have to play McTominay and Andreas Pereira who have no potential to improve and they’ve been terrible in pre-season. Not to mention the fact that our youngsters coming up such as Greenwood, Gomes and Chong are absolutely awful so they don’t fill the gaps left by our departing players at all.

0/10, how can it be that high when the players we’ve brought in are all awful and horrible signings? -5/10 maximum.

Mac Asimov

Are utd fans becoming the most self entitled fans in the league? The crying on here because we haven't signed half a team is quite sad. A new breed of plastics.

Harabo

3/10
Our owners, board and biggest clown Ed are a disgrace for this football club. They are ruining what SAF and previous board accomplished along the years.
We are addressing pressing issues in the club with about 2 years of a delay (CB and RB).
This season everything will be put on the shoulders of enthusiastic, but inexperienced manager and bunch of kids. Everybody hopes they will succeed, but lets be realistic, its its not 1992 anymore. The reality is that we are now just one of many Glasers businesses which they will squeeze as much as they can before leave it in pieces.

Back in the time in such a transfer window after such a disastrous several years we would have bought Declan Rice, James Maddison and some great french/dutch goalscorer on top of Maguire, AWB and James. Yes, Rice and Maddison would be overpriced, but this is what we need and we can afford it. Instead of getting fresh legs we are filling Glasers pockets and making stupidest contracts with below average players that we cannot offload with years.
Whoever is in charge of our transfer negotiations needs to go. Oh and what about DoF?

broccoli

Supports
FCPorto
Defence: Bissaka is a good player but may hinder Dalot's progression. Imo Shaw is a liability. Should have went for a promising or proven LB instead.

Midfield: McTominey, Pogba and Fred should be the starting midfield and there's still Matic and Pereira. Not as bad as it sounds.

Attack: Martial, Rashford, Mata, Greenwood, Chong, Gomes and James if im not for getting someone. 7 players for 3/4 slots will offer plenty of game time for them all.

You lost Lukaku but replaced him well with Maguire so all in all I'd consider it a 5/10.

SteveW

Just need to hope that we can get a tune out of Fred. If Sanchez could also do what we all know he can, we could still be ok?
It's scary. Fred looked horrendous in the last friendly just giving the ball away constantly. He basically found a BS excuse to miss preseason. I have zero faith in him to be honest but he's gonna have to play plenty of games.

I'd imagine we're still trying to rid ourselves of Sanchez too. We still have a couple of weeks to sell/loan him abroad. As short as we are I don't want him anywhere near the team.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
  • Defense: Very good. Got the right back and center back which we were missing for a long time. Didn't sell a single defender and now we've got 7 CB's but to be fair clubs outside England can still buy our players for 3 more weeks so we can still sell. Kept De Gea and made him captain which is about as good as you can do in that position. In this area we did better than anyone else in the world who needed to improve this area.
  • Midfield: Awful. Last season we needed a midfielder more than anything but not only did we not buy a player but we lost Herrera who probably would have been our captain this season had the club not faffed around with his contract.
  • Attack: Bad. Needed a right winger and we bought Daniel James who will not manage to oust Mata nor Lingard, neither of whom are wingers or very good on the wing. Sold Lukaku, bought no one. We need to see some young players double their tally (and in some cases emerge with a good tally) in order for us to score goal this season. It's unreasonable to expect consistency from those players who so far in their career haven't shown the consistency needed in a team that wants to be top class.
Overall it's not a good window and I worry for our chances to make the top 4. We're lucky that Chelsea had a transfer ban and a new manager and that Arsenal didn't manage to improve their midfield or defense as well as possible so there's a race for 4th but I don't think we're close to City or Liverpool and Spurs if anything have made the gap bigger than it was last season.

Ralph1386

How are we worse off? That is rubbish. We got rid of Lukaku who was useless and made us worse being on the field than off. That's a plus. We massively strengthened our defence with 2 fantastic players. The only place you could say we are worse off is midfield.
Attack is not any better off with Lukaku leaving because there is absolutely nothing that shows that the current crop will make up for the goals he scored. Hope to be proven wrong but on paper it doesn’t look like it.

Better in defence, worse in midfield and attack (IMO) means worse.

Giggs86

Worst than that summer when we signed Bebe, Obertan and Owen.

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
Not good at all. It probably would be around 5/10 if we signed Maguire for a slightly less ridiculous fee.

Like people mentioned in some other thread, there's a good chance we're more impotent than we were in Van Gaal's last season. And that was the season where we broke all kinds of negative records in terms of goals scored.

Positive is that we got a good fee for Lukaku and don't seem to have wasted much on useless panic buys. If Pogba were to leave this year or next year we'll have his fee and Lukaku's fee ready to invest, hopefully in some of the bright young prospects like Sancho or Havertz.

16 Beasley Street

3/10

Great that we've strengthened our defence significantly and brought in a couple of young players with potential but to have got rid /let go of 3 senior players and not replaced them is criminal. Way too much pressure on the youngsters who are just breaking into the first team. Any lengthy injuries to Pogba and we're done for.

Can't see us improving on our league position this season with this squad.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Defence: Bissaka is a good player but may hinder Dalot's progression. Imo Shaw is a liability. Should have went for a promising or proven LB instead.

Midfield: McTominey, Pogba and Fred should be the starting midfield and there's still Matic and Pereira. Not as bad as it sounds.

Attack: Martial, Rashford, Mata, Greenwood, Chong, Gomes and James if im not for getting someone. 7 players for 3/4 slots will offer plenty of game time for them all.

You lost Lukaku but replaced him well with Maguire so all in all I'd consider it a 5/10.
I was about to say that this was a weird thing to say until I realized you’re a Portuguese.

Sorry but AWB is miles ahead of Dalots progression at this point. He’s the best we could have got.

We got AWB and Maguire which makes our defence as solid as it’s been for years and I was a big fan of James in the championship so happy we added his pace to the squad.

Im scoring a 5/10 as we have criminally left the midfield short of quality and numbers.

Kopral Jono

3/10

We signed 3 and needed 10.
Pretty much. Wan-Bissaka and Maguire are excellent signings, but I didn't believe one bit when sources within the club said 'we're only signing players who want to play for us'. On top of a clear lack of strategy in the transfer market, the Glazers were just not willing to spend (in what was a very good window for us to strengthen and close the gap with the big boys). That's it.

It's heartbreaking, and ultimately disgusting, to see this great club being run into the ground in this manner.

VanGaalEra

Shit last few days, but I'd stick with my OP rating 5 or 6 out of 10.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Lowering it to a 6.

Let's not forget we've not replaced Herrera and Lukaku. As long as we get the right players it's fine if it happens next summer but we should have planned for this.

MAME DIOUF 32

We wanted Dybala and Mandzukic to replace Lukaku, didn't get either and didn't get anyone else for those positions either. I wanted Lukaku gone, but now I'm not so sure. James looks raw but willing and I have no issue with that signing at all.

Getting nobody in midfield is a big mistake. It's a huge challenge for Fred and one that he's shown little to indicate that he can rise to.

Wan-Bissaka replacing Valencia looks fantastic, no argument about that. I'm not 100% sure on Maguire but I think he stands a great chance of doing well.

I'm most annoyed that we've once again failed comprehensively to deal with the deadwood. Darmian and Rojo especially, and I can excuse Bailly because his (latest) injury would have scuppered any plans to move him on.

4/10 overall, I think. I think we've bought well, but nowhere near enough, and once again failed to sell. As a result of the poor window, we need big seasona from McTominay and Martial, we need Greenwood and James especially to show their readiness and we need Fred to come good. It doesn't feel likely that all of those things will happen.

Ishpan2

Not good at all. It probably would be around 5/10 if we signed Maguire for a slightly less ridiculous fee.

Like people mentioned in some other thread, there's a good chance we're more impotent than we were in Van Gaal's last season. And that was the season where we broke all kinds of negative records in terms of goals scored.

Positive is that we got a good fee for Lukaku and don't seem to have wasted much on useless panic buys. If Pogba were to leave this year or next year we'll have his fee and Lukaku's fee ready to invest, hopefully in some of the bright young prospects like Sancho or Havertz.
Club made 1.2 bill in the last summer and reinvested 111 mill. That's around 9% reinvestment with the rest going straight to the Glazers. I'm curious on how you can be optimistic that a single penny from Lukaku or Pogba's sales will go back into the club. I believe that Pogba is gone next summer and the Glazers line their pockets while buying Longstaff to replace him.

mu4c_20le

I was about to say that this was a weird thing to say until I realized you’re a Portuguese.

Sorry but AWB is miles ahead of Dalots progression at this point. He’s the best we could have got.
Great observation... first time ive heard anyone say that. Dalot has a bright future but defensively too suspect, otherwise we couldve saved 50M

OleGunnar20

4.5/10

Defence finally looks solid, that's great to see. If De Gea can get back to his indestructible self then we should be very tough to score against this year. Did really well here this summer despite paying over the odds.

Midfield looks very shaky. Relying on Fred / McTom / Matic / Pereira to elevate us to top-4 is madness, like many I cannot understand how this has been allowed to happen. Pogba's in for one hell of a year. To think I'd be missing not only Herrera but Fellaini right now, jesus.

Attack feels like a real wildcard, but I don't hate it. Rashford / Martial / Greenwood as a top 3 works for me, plenty of excitement and enough goals across the three is my prediction. If Mata / Lingard edge their way into that collection for extended period however, I fear we're in big trouble. Could really have done with a big signing there this year, some versatile forward to ease pressure on the youngsters. James isn't enough on his own. But hey ho hopefully Ole goes with that three and guarantees entertainment at the very least.

In summary, pretty much what I expected. Dissapointing lack of vision and ambition (but what's new there), crossing my fingers for a bail-out from our many talented youngsters.

If Ed manages to shift Darmian / Rojo & Sanchez before it's all over I'd be happy to bump him to a 6/10 for actually doing something at least.

Bestofthebest

The only good thing is we will get to see how good our youngsters are because they are going to have to play quite a lot if only due to injuries. I hope they are as good as a lot on here think. I can't speak for them myself as I have not seen enough of them in action but here good things about some of them. Wish them all the best.
The defence certainly should be stronger with AWB and Maguire in there, barring injuries but midfield is a disaster waiting to happen and as I said before forwards are fast and talented but not experience enough and could crack if faced with a barren spell. I am talking about Rashford and Martial in particular here.

I certainly don't think we are going to make a serious challenge for top four because of the lack of serious fire power but don't think we will be fighting relegation. I lay the blame for whatever happens fairly and squarely at Woodward's feet. Fear that Ole will not see the season out but Woodward will be there next season doing his stuff in the transfer market. What a terrifying thought.

oldgrumpyred

Ha Ha, what a joke of a transfer window, got everyone to buy their season tickets in record time thinking they can't let it get as it was last year and are sure to invest well, but surprise surprise.....no ambition, no vision but at least they have our money!!!

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Great observation... first time ive heard anyone say that. Dalot has a bright future but defensively too suspect, otherwise we couldve saved 50M
Dalot has some good points and I’d take a chance IF the rest of the defence had been rock solid. But going into a season with young and Dalot again would be criminal. I’m delighted we got AWB, he’s defensively rock solid. Should be our RB for the next 10 years

minoo-utd

No ambition. Fecking joke.
Solskjaer said that he will succeed here and there are players will not be part of this club, he just talk talk talk.

fergosaurus

Are you feckers on hallucinagens? We just sold Lukaku with no replacement, lost Herrera on a free. Our window is shambles.

0/10
If we were in the relegation zone at xmas some of the Pollyannnas here would try to put a positive spin on it.

bonothom

What makes people think that spending £60+ million on unproven players such as Fernandez is a guarantee of success. The past 6 seasons has shown that United signings have been 80% failures.its no surprise that they are changing there tactics. I think Greenwood, Gomes and Garner will be given more chance.

RedMilo

I wanted to wait (in hope) until the window closed before commenting on this thread but now I can evaluate things more clearly. I think we have made great strides in defence and if we can move on Rojo/Darmian before end of European window then great.

I also think for a club to spend £80m on a single player, I cant rate the window below 5/10 and that's what it feels like that, i.e. job half done...

Whilst the defence has been improved, the loss of Herrera in particular hurts the quality of our midfield. I have high hopes for McT, but if you are gonna bring youngsters through, you ideally need a solid foundation rather than throwing them in at the deep end and expecting them to swim. The class of 92 had Schmeichel, Bruce, Irwin, Pallister, Keane, Ince, Cantona etc, when they broke through into the 1st team, but the likes of Greenwood, Gomes and co aren't being afforded the same platform, and that's unfortunately a reflection on how poorly the club has been run in recent years.

We have spent approximately £65m net this window, which isn't a nominal amount of money all things being equal, but considering the fact that number will likely become less before the European window is shut, and the fact both senior pro's in midfield and attack have been sold and not replaced, you have to say the investment by the club has been poor, considering we finished 6th last year, its pretty pathetic actually..

We used to always aspire to be the best, even if we fell short, now we have an ecomonic policy that milks the brand, and the football side really has become secondary however much they try to spin it.

I hope we can get Champions league football for the following season, but that's as much as we can hope for and Im not confident we will achieve it..

6/10

We have signed what looks like a very good RB in Aaron Wan-Bissaka and IMO an excellent (not WC) CB in Harry Maguire. Therefore I believe we have definitely strengthened our defence, so that a positive.

The midfield is weaker and we should have replaced Herrera. Scott McTominay will be more experienced this season and has shown desire and ability in pre-season games. I see him as a promising player who should develop further this season. Unfortunately a solid defensive midfielder was a must do that we didn’t act upon. Matic is too slow and I believe will be even more a liability than last season. To me the midfield lacks depth and an injury to Pogba will be a serious blow to any chance of finishing in the top four.

Rashford and Martial need to be more consistent and clinical in their finishing. However they are still young and we really should have brought in an experienced goal scorer to replace Lukaku. I like Greenwood who is a great prospect for the future. For now, I hope he gets his share of game time; however he is young, raw and needs protection for his future development.

Looking forward to seeing how James does, we could have a raw talent with a lot of pace. I can see him coming on 20-30 minutes at the end of games and his pace may help us a great deal.

Absolutely criminal we didn’t get that defensive midfielder so Matic can be a squad member; also not replacing Lukaku was negligent, with these additions a 8/10 better still If that RW was sorted 8 maybe 9/10. However as it stands 6/10.

Still time to get rid of some of the deadwood.

ManRed

I had voted 3/10 but now with the end I think it's more of a 2/10.

AWB signing +3
Maguire signing +2
Failure to replace Herrera -1
Failure to replace Lukaku -2

If they fail to sell Rojo/Jones and Darmian by end of August then it's more of a 1/10. Which is by far the worst window since Moyes.

RedNed77

6/10. If only for the fact that we have three strikers and all of them have roughly the same style and skill set. I’d have liked a wily, experienced, target man style centre forward as a plan b, Mandzukic would have been perfect. If the £15m and £150p/w were true figures that we balked at, that is probably the low point of the summer window for me. A defensive midfielder would have been useful too.

humdinger

I’m downgrading it to a 5. Really disappointed we didn’t get a midfielder and another forward. We’re very thin on the ground should we pick up injuries and our starting 11 isn’t exactly stellar.

Woodzy

4/10. Needed four (first team), got two. Lost two in the process without replacements.

Poor effort all round and now clear as day that Ed is just not that great at this sort of stuff.