Votes: 48 15.1%

Votes: 19 6.0%

Votes: 4 1.3%

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • 10 - OMG! OMG! OMG!

Votes: 5 1.6%

• Total voters

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
And injuries will happen again. So your main point is Greenwood will take his place. Do you believe honestly he will play 3000 minutes?

We will still pick up injuries and the squad is shorter in midfield/attack. You have James, but you also have players like Lingard and Mata who will play CM to fill in when midfielders pick up injuries.

Rashford missed just 1 game last season due to injury. Martial missed 8. That's 9 games from our main players in attack. If one is injured for a month or two you are basically fecked and will be running young players to the ground.

You do realize Ole wants high press and high energy football. He has short squad in attack and there is where the press starts. Would be fecking surprise we again start to pick injuries because we don't have players in attack to rotate..:houllier:
No I don't. I also dont think we will have 4 simultaneous injuries where everyone is out for at least 6 games. You don't either. But you're feebly clinging to this point despite it being entirely exposed. We aren't shorter in attack, we've literally replaced Lukaku with Greenwood and added James on top. What bat shit crazy maths are you carrying out. :lol:

Enigma_87

You know who
No I don't. I also dont think we will have 4 simultaneous injuries where everyone is out for at least 6 games. You don't either. But you're feebly clinging to this point despite it being entirely exposed. We aren't shorter in attack, we've literally replaced Lukaku with Greenwood and added James on top. What bat shit crazy maths are you carrying out. :lol:
Let's see Greenwood playing 3000 minutes next year then. ;)

We will revisit this thread then when the season is over to see the improvement in attack you keep talking about.

Good luck not picking injuries like last year with high intense game in mind.

ivaldo

Let's see Greenwood playing 3000 minutes next year then. ;)

We will revisit this thread then when the season is over to see the improvement in attack you keep talking about.

Good luck not picking injuries like last year with high intense game in mind.
Why 3000 minutes? :lol: Stop pretending this is an inevitability. Tell me we are going to have 4 players simultaneously injured for at least a month. Go on. Tell me Lukaku's minutes were plenty under Ole prior to those injuries. Go on.

Enigma_87

You know who
Why 3000 minutes? :lol: Stop pretending this is an inevitability. Tell me we are going to have 4 players simultaneously injured for at least a month. Go on. Tell me Lukaku's minutes were plenty under Ole prior to those injuries. Go on.
Last year we had 6-7 players on the treatment table on various occasions. You do realize players started dropping like flies when Ole started adopting more physical and pressing style. Apparently he wants to do the same in the coming season. We bought one 21 years old winger lost a striker in his prime. By all accounts this is improvement to you?

Greenwood might be the next Rossi, or worse the next Macheda. You are pinning your entire season on a 17 years old teenagers when the youth setup has been in shambles in the last couple of years? Really?

When you run players to the ground and intend to play Rashford and Martial 40-50 games this season in high intense style injuries do happen. Muscle injuries happen a lot. You don't need even 2 players on the treatment table. You lose Rashford or Martial for couple of months and the attack is done.

Your entire narrative is that Lukaku didn't play under Ole in the beginning and it seems like he wasn't there or if like you can put Fred the Red there and wouldn't make a difference.

For third time, why Martial didn't play that much under Ole last year? Was he marginalized as well? Why Lukaku played more minutes than him when both were fit? Go on, tell me...

M Utd

5/10,

7/10 if we sign a decent midfielder tomorrow and 9/10 if we manage to replace Lukaku on top of that.
Probably the most sensible rating I've read on here. I fear we may be done this window though. If we are I hope the youngsters get minutes and the fans don't go calling for heads to roll if our playing style improves. We are no where near challenging for a title and so we should judge ourselves on that basis (not what I want clearly, but compared to Liverpool and City we are not as complete).

DutchSerb

Supports
FC Groningen
4/10, and that's mostly because of AWB. Not entirely sold on Maguire, hope he'll prove me wrong. At least he's happy to be here. Young, Jones still in the squad. No new midfielders means more Lingard, Mata, Matic.. ffs it's going to be a tough season again. And the worst thing is I'm not even sure I want to see them make a move at the deadline, because it's probably going to be someone that wasn't a target and money will be wasted. Hopefully Gomes and Greenwood will get proper minutes. I'm still hopeful with this revamped defense but looking at how other clubs have done this summer, I'm feeling a bit frustrated.

ivaldo

Last year we had 6-7 players on the treatment table on various occasions. You do realize players started dropping like flies when Ole started adopting more physical and pressing style. Apparently he wants to do the same in the coming season. We bought one 21 years old winger lost a striker in his prime. By all accounts this is improvement to you?

Greenwood might be the next Rossi, or worse the next Macheda. You are pinning your entire season on a 17 years old teenagers when the youth setup has been in shambles in the last couple of years? Really?

When you run players to the ground and intend to play Rashford and Martial 40-50 games this season in high intense style injuries do happen. Muscle injuries happen a lot. You don't need even 2 players on the treatment table. You lose Rashford or Martial for couple of months and the attack is done.

Your entire narrative is that Lukaku didn't play under Ole in the beginning and it seems like he wasn't there or if like you can put Fred the Red there and wouldn't make a difference.

For third time, why Martial didn't play that much under Ole last year? Was he marginalized as well? Why Lukaku played more minutes than him when both were fit? Go on, tell me...
You're hopeless. You were proved utterly wrong with your eagerly posted stats, so you'll carry on in some vain hope of landing something. You carry on beleiving we've going to have players dropping like flies, and keep on refusing to discuss the very points you got laughably wrong, and I'll continue living in the real world. Night.

Last edited:

Enigma_87

You know who
You're hopeless. You were proved utterly wrong with your eagerly posted stats, so you'll carry on in some vain hope of landing something. You carry on beleiving we've going to have players dropping like flies, and keep on refusing to discuss the very points you got laughably wrong, and I'll continue living in the real world. Night.
Whatever, mate. Could claim the same, so we have to agree to disagree. Seems many have given out 3s and 4s, so probably many need a wobble right? Night.

Foxbatt

Ole should have agitated a lot more publicly too to get a midfield player. Any decent player would be better than the lot we have now. We have no Herrera and no Fellaini even to pump the ball up. We would end up like Arsenal trying to play good football but never win anything. With players like Matic we would not even play good football.

AJ Bullet

Cant believe Chelsea with a transfer ban have signed more midfielders than us.

BeltUp

Supports
United
Marginally better than last Summer but still has the same depressing Glazer feel. If we sell Lukaku and don't spend any more we have shown our true intentions as a club and we won't be challenging for trophies for a long time.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Surely time to re-invest the Lukaku funds, badly needed.
If we don't selling Lukaku has basically paid for AWB and James. We have then spent £80m on Maguire. Sell some players abroad and he is then cheaper. Woodward and Co will think that is fantastic. It really isn't enough. Nobody expected a complete overhaul, although at times I would have been happy to bin the lot of them. However we needed at least two more players. It appears they think James is the attacking answer.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Good thread. If we keep Pogba next year, sort De Gea contract, pluses for that. Loss of Herrera, and Fellaini and no replacement, very poor. The Dybala thing - a bit embarrassing. Maguire a good addition, albeit a window and manager too late. WB a good signing. If we were challenging for the title, about 4 signings short. Not a great use of resources. 4/10

theyneverlearn

and this one probably never will
4/10.

I can't believe that Ole, Phelan etc. couldn't identify a single CM that would improve our current options to attempt to sign this summer.

Luckily our defense has improved because our midfield is going to be being outclassed a lot and we'll be under pressure a lot.

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
We got a top CB +3
we got a top RB, +3
We look like we're going to retain Pogba and DDG. +4
We failed to address the right wing (James and Greenwood are still gambles, and Mata/Lingard don't work there). -2
We failed to address the CM position (will be less painful if we stick to the 4-2-3-1 in which case our starting 2 central midfielders are very good, but the depth is bad; I also think Lingard/Mata will do well in the hole with Gomes to step up). -2
We haven't got rid of Sanchez and co, but there's time.
We're losing Lukaku, but it won't make a difference to us. Rather see Greenwood and Rashford there. +0

So far, it's 6/10 window for me. We lose some deadwood, it can raise to 7/10. Woody needed a 9/10 or 10/10 to be sure, but we haven't has as terrible a window as we think.

I'd try and score relative to Arsenal and Spurs' signings, but let's wait and see how the big signings (both theirs and ours) blend in. While it is very apparent that Maguire makes us far better than Pepe improves Arsenal, time will judge.

Terminator

Strong 3/10.

Mind numbing incompetence. Herrera, Fellaini, Lukaku replacements and a RW have still not been bought. AWB and Maguire are good signings, too early to judge Dan James.

Where are the goals and creativity going to come from? Surely everyone can see this?

DoctorEvil

I refuse to rate now. Can only judge after seeing how the new signings perform. If it turns out that both AWB and Maguire become decent players for us then I will deem this a very good transfer window.

The fact the we need more players is a result of several years of abject failures in the transfer market. Let's change that first, and then start to rebuild the rest of the team.

reddevilz007

Seems like we’re the only club that don’t understand the importance of a strong midfield, and it’s been like that ever since we got hammered by Barca back in the SAF days.

Patience

8/10...

We have started a rebuild - which most fans know will take time - and we started by locking up the defence first (makes total sense).

Next summer - or maybe even January - we will know where we stand in midfield or attack. But in the meantime, Ole is going to give some promising youngsters a chance to prove themselves. In midfield Gomes, Pereira, McTominay and Garner will all get game time (which is great news for us United purists) and up front we have some of the most promising young attackers in Europe with Rashford and Martial being backed up by James, Sanchez, Lingard and - hopefully one different kinda option such as Mandzukic today. If we sign Mandzukic, it will be a near perfect first transfer summer window for Ole.

Rome wasn't built in a day.. so this was always going to take a couple of windows to get the balance fully right and ALL fans need patience. We need to look long-term. Not think that we can fix our mess in a summer transfer window (that's what we've tried (a quick fix) to do for the past managers post-Fergie and it has been a mess).

We are taking a different tac this time. And I - for one - am delighted.

Now.. stop moaning - especially about our midfield options.

The moaning is just super annoying. And shows very little understanding.

Listen;

If you wanna count No.10 as 'midfield' role then we have three midfield positions.

And these are our options for those three positions:

McTominay
Pogba
Matic
Pereira
Fred
Garner
Sanchez
Lingard
Mata
Gomes

10 players for three positions.

McTominay (our best player Dec-May under Solskjaer - our best player in pre-season - expected to become a key member of the team; though like early Carrick and early Fletcher days, I fully expect him to be really effective, only for fans to keep moaning that 'he's not good enough' -this is a cert to happen)

Pogba (Undoubtedly one of the best No.8s in the world, will now be playing where he was hugely influential for both Juve and France in World Cup. This midfield shape will get the best out of him)

Matic (admittedly has been a huge disappointment since coming to United. But I expect him to be a key player in CDM for our Europa League campaign, of which Ole has said he will play a lot of youth. Matic will be captain of this team and in fairness, is a decent back up to McTominay, no matter how much you guys wanna moan about him.)

Pereira
(has all the promise in the world. Probably not ideally suited to the Prem League as he is most effective when he has time on the ball, but he can cover ALL three positions and is a massive squad player for us)

Fred (was a fantastic player as a No.8 in Russia and although he has been disappointing in EPL, Ole believes he can come good in this system and is a great back up for Pogba. I have high hopes for Fred coming good. He has bags of ability. He just needs to show more awareness. But those writing him off are being way too impatient; see my username folks)

Garner (is gonna be a great player. But I think this season has come too soon for hm to play a major role in. But Ole will test him out and keep an eye on him to see if he can be the man who replaces Matic next season; if not, we'll try sign a Dec Rice or Sean Longstaff. But all academy coaches have huge hopes for Garner and is thought of as a more definite first-teamer than Gomes, Greenwood,Chong etc. The kid has bags of ability, is great off the ball and deserves a chance to prove himself before we splash big on a Longstaff. Again I suggest: have patience)

Sanchez (Has not been good since signing for United; but then again - he has been played out of position. This guys is a World Class No.10 and now that Ole has created a No.10 position, I hope to see the best of Sanchez, pulling the strings in behind Martial/Rashford/James/Greenwood etc. This is the role he has thrived in. Anyone writing him off is being an idiot. He has only played out of his best position since coming to Old Trafford. Not anymore.)

Lingard (As we have sen for England and in the academy as he was coming through; No.10 is where Lingard shines. Another great option for that role in behind our front three. Lingard is seen as a pivotal player by all United coaches. Massively underrated by our fanbase. He is the best player we have at carrying out Ole's high-press orders).

Mata (Had proven to be a world class No.10 - now that we play with a No.10, can we see the best of Mata in a United shirt. It's great that he has a central role as he never is/was a right-sided attacker. He was great in pre-season as our No.10 when he played there, and played some amazing interplay with Greenwood/Martial and Rashford).

Gomes (all the promise in the world as an attacking midfielder. Super excited about this fella, as you all should be).

Stop saying our midfield is too weak.

Especially as Ole has changed the midfield shape, to incorporate the likes of Sanchez, Mata and Lingard.

Plus, this way we get to give so many youngsters a chance in the first team, rather than spunking £80 m on more Di Marias, Schweinsteigers, Falcoas etc etc etc.

This is the most exciting it has been for United fans post Fergie.

And it is only the start of something special.

Those who have been pining for a Dybala or whatever clearly haven't watched us almost ruin ourselves by buying big-names in the past and just expecting them to fix our problems. This will take time. Ole is going about this the right way.

Defence sorted for the next few seasons.

Midfield and forward is wide open, but I LOVE the fact that we are giving the kids a chance to shine first before we splurge. Hats off to Ole.

Fingers crossed our fans give him the patience he requires.

Last edited:

Fergie's Man

Suffers Snails fetish
5/10

Time to tell us Ole.

“We might not be and you’d be surprised how many players’ agents have been touting their players, telling us that their players would love to be a part of Man United in the future,"

Bestietom

As Mills said on SSN, our transfer policy is all wrong. We will suffer for not bringing in a midfielder.

kirk buttercup

4 out of 10 .
Our back 4 look strong . Midfield is in serious trouble. Attack we will be weaker , not great to be honest . Hope the young guns step up. And people dont blame ole for this, give him and our youth a chance . The Glazers and Ed are a cancer to this club .

Preggy99

AWB and Maguire are good signings and were needed.

Zero midfield/attacking signings apart from James (who is a punt and one for the future) after losing Hererra and now Lukaku we now have 8 hours to replace them!

We have less than we did last year in midfield and are expected to compete!

We desperately need a Director of Football, Woodward is not a football man, let him continue to sell shirts to the Taiwanese and bring in a proper person to advise and negotiate transfers.

Mark Pawelek

Unwanted Lukaku gone = +1
No panic buys = +1
No stupid buys = +1
Defence sorted = +2
Mata re-signed = -1
Midfield not good enough (festering wound) = -2

Positive transfer window. Woodward did not repeat past mistakes. We didn't buy any unnecessary players. Woodward's 2nd best window (after 2016).

romufc

3/10 bang on below average transfer window.

Fixed the defence but have 7 CB's
No new CM
No one to replace Lukaku
Poor, ready for a poor season again.

Mark Pawelek

8/10...

Stop saying our midfield is too weak.
I'll have some of what you're smoking please. We have one good option for defensive midfield: McTominay: even he's converted to the role. Matic is shot. I don't see James Garner getting any games in the PL or Europe; maybe some minutes as a sub. If Ole was serious about Garner he's have more playing time on the summer tour. We still need 2 midfielders and a right-winger. Next summer we'll also need a stand-in for left fullback.

Last edited:

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
3/10

An excellent but overpriced CB
A decent RB
Some Championship level winger with alot of pace

That's certainly not good enough considering that we had weakened CM and Forward line.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
Poor.

The defence looks sorted and that's the one positive from this summer.
However, we still have a squad where pretty much every position ahead of the defence has significant question marks.

City, Liverpool and Tottenham all know which players they can rely on to perform over the course of the season. There's no guarantees, but if their main players end up having disappointing seasons it would be a shock.
Unfortunately, we're in the opposite position where we're hoping players that have shown inconsistent periods of promise are going to be able to sustain these performances over the season. The reality is it would be a shock if Rashford, Martial, Lingard, Fred, Pereira, McTominay and James are able to replicate their best performances more consistently. It would be a shock if Mata and Matic don't just repeat last season's level of performances. Even Pogba, our best outfield player, has poor periods.

Apart from a stronger defence, the only positive to take from this summer is that the academy lads look promising. But for that to be a positive Ole needs to give them opportunities. If he finds himself under pressure will he be bold and throw them in, or play it safe and stick to the 'safe' option.

Even outgoings have underwhelmed. Sure, we still have time to offload some of the deadwood, but so far the first team squad has been trimmed by losing Valencia (fair enough), Herrera and probably Lukaku. Herrera is a mistake and in the list of players that are surplus to requirements there are so many players ahead of Lukaku.

JoaquinJoaquin

I revise my original rating and now give it 2/10. We have actually managed to get WEAKER. Jesus this club is so inept.

Floyd

Doesn't like his Tagline played with
Herrera gone.
Matic done.

That's 2/3 of our midfield from last season.

No midfield signing is absolutely ridiculous.

McTominay would have to step up BIG time, Keane-esque.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Imagine going for Dybala and Eriksen and ending up with absolutely fecking no one.. we’re a joke of a club.

:lol:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I'd have gone with a 6.5/7 but if Spurs are going to make a definitive step up this summer in quality I'll bump us down. Given our standing as a club, being put into the shade by Spurs despite being behind them in peformances doesn't bode well.

Meller

Some of you guys are being far too generous.
Agreed. Spurs, Arsenal and City have had better windows than us. Those are 3 teams already ahead of us. We have no chance of catching up to Liverpool, and no one knows how Chelsea will perform. We're in for a long, awful season.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Imagine going for Dybala and Eriksen and ending up with absolutely fecking no one.. we’re a joke of a club.

:lol:
Imagine being linked with Dybala, Eriskon, Fernandes and Longstaff, and ending up with none while your rivals make three signings on the last day (one being Dybala). Fecksake hope these spurs rumours fall flat.