sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
Happy with the additions?
  • Donny van de Beek
  • Alex Telles
  • Edinson Cavani
  • Amad Diallo
  • Facundo Pellistri
Its not Sancho, so it’s a failure. We’ve addressed 2 key areas in Telles and Cavani. I’m not convinced either were first choice.

VDB looks a good addition for a good price

We needed another centre back and we needed a right winger, we got neither. I hope all do well, particularly the young lads.

4/10

Martial

All we needed for a successful window to build momentum from last season was a single world-class signing: Sancho.

We have clutched defeat from the claws of victory.

predator

Youth NITK
If you told me this would be our list after last game of last season I wouldve been pleasantly surprised albeit shocked/annoyed we didn't sign a right winger.

I think Telles is a great signing and will become our first choice lb and it won't even be close. VDB will struggle to get game time and is too good to be on the bench so I can't see it ending well. Cavani has falcao written all over it but you never know, if we are lucky injury wise and he is motivated enough then we may get goals from the man. The others are nice for the future i guess.

Let's just wait and see. Patience is a virtue.

RedChisel

7 out of 10. 3 solid quality additions to the squad and 2 exciting young wingers. Sancho and a good cb would have made it a 10.

marktan

4/10 for the volume of deals, huge question marks on quality

- VDB - Not really needed as we have two better AMs in Bruno and Pogba. Technically not really great
- Telles - has registered 50 assists in the last 5 seasons apparently so hopefully adds some much needed full back width
- Cavani - expensive gamble, bit of a panic deal. But needed depth if he's not past it. Ideally would've signed a RW and made Mason the backup CF
- The two youngsters - probably won't play for us for a while so more for the under 21s, hopefully the scouts have done a good job and they can be useful players ala Vinocius at Real, Alphonso Davies etc

We didn't get a proper RW and that's the biggest disappointment. Sancho alone or someone like ASM as our only transfer and I'd have given the window a 7/10, it's the biggest hole in our first XI and still not filled. Panic buying a bunch of youngsters won't cut the mustard I'm afraid

Last edited:

RonaldoVII

4/10

Only Telles makes our strongest 11. Van de Beek adds some much needed depth and central midfield looks strong. Huge question marks over Cavani's fitness, role in the team and cost to us. Two kids who most people have barely heard of.

Then when you consider we only managed to sell ONE player, a player who could quite easily start in our best 11, it's a shocking summer.

DevilRed

A lot more depth to our squad.

Especially excited about Traore (and Pellestri). Would like to see if they can make an immediate impact in the league.

Cavani is also intriguing and hopefully will push our front 3 for a place in the team.

Telles seems a very good signing as we finally have someone to deliver crosses and provide competition/cover for Shaw.

DVB seems to be the forgotten man already but he is a class player that could develop into a top top tier midfielder. We are spoilt for choices in midfield.

Obviously very disappointed we didn’t get Sancho but judging from this window we are going back in for him either in Jan or next summer.

A solid 6/10 as we address a lot of depth issues and strengthen the overall competition in the team with a proven goal scorer.

AneRu

6/10
. Brought in midfield depth with DVB
. An experienced striker who can actually score goals.
. An offensive Leftback and
. A couple of talented kids who look like they are really talented

But
. No Sancho
. No CB

I think the club's leadership would have been wary of stretching themselves financially in this COVID era so all in all we finally have some depth. A lot will depend on how the likes of Telles and Cavani take to English football because I think both have the capacity to add another dimension to our attack, suddenly we have a striker that can score off crosses and someone who is good at whipping them in.

The shambles in midfield and defense is worrying. In midfield I think we can change a lot by just returning to that pre restart workmen midfield that had Bruno, Fred and Matic/McTominay. The defense is really worrying but hopefully with better protection from midfield we will see it settle.

Not signing another CB gives Tuanzebe another chance to claim a role in the squad or even fight for a starting spot as last season was a right off for him. Hopefully he rises up to the challenge and stakes a claim because another youth graduate playing a big role in the team will be gratifying.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
4 signings on deadline day does not exactly fill me with confidence. Don't know much about three of our signings.

We only managed to loan two players, sell one and pay one to leave. 31 players in the first team squad, 4 of them young enough to not need registration which means 2 players will be left out of the CL and I'll imagine will therefor not play much elsewhere.

littlepeasoup

Obviously it's hard to rate our transfer business with any certainty until we've seen how the new lads perform in a United shirt.

What I can judge is how we've gone about our dealings this summer, and it's been absolutely shocking. Our club is run by morons.

L1nk

The thing is i feel like we've definitely had worse windows, on paper it strengthens the squad. But again the rush job with zero planning around it is so amateur it defies belief.

TonyTheYank

• Donny van de Beek 6/10
  • Alex Telles 6/10
  • Edinson Cavani 2/10
  • Amad Diallo (2021) bebe/10
  • Facundo Pellistri bebe/10
  • 4.6/10

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
Donny van de Beek - Looks like a talented player, but I don't see Ole getting the best out of him, nor preferring him to Bruno/Pogba. Good signing but don't see it ending well for him unless a new manager comes in and finds a way to get him more regularly involved.

Alex Telles - Think it will be good to bring competition for Shaw, and if he can complement Rashford/Martial on the left then that would help bring more to our attack. Not heard many people saying he can defend well, so that needs to be seen before properly evaluating.

Edinson Cavani - Most excited about this, as I have loved him as a striker for many years. I know he's past his peak, but the hope is he can inspire a young front line that we have and be able to contribute 10-15 goals in this campaign. Also hope it means we don't have to see Ighalo line up for us again.

Amad Diallo - Really positive feedback coming out of Italy, looking forward to seeing what he can bring when he comes in January

Facundo Pellistri - Sounds like one for the future. Hope we develop him the right way

Overall would give it a 6. Couple of reinforcements for the first team, plus some future prospects. But we did need one or two proper first-team players in positions like RW and CB, and that didn't come about.

90 + 5min

Needed a depth and got it.
Needed a striker and got it.
Bought for future. Check!
Bought for now. Check!
Stayed out of overpriced Sancho. Check!

Needed one CB and missed.

Artorias

A decent 6.5/10.
It would be nice to sell more players and get Sancho, but at least we adressed some issues.

Betson

Overall very underwhelming , we badly needed a quality pacy CB and a RW ready to step from day one , we got neither. These should have been our top two targets.

People are really overrating our current first 11 on a mini run they went on last year that they had not produced before or have since.

We have picked up a few players with potential who may or may not make it at the top level.

We have become the next season club , where everything we do is geared towards next season. No matter what year it is is we are always looking at next season but next season always turns out similar to the last 8 under achieving seasons.

caid

I'm fine with the signings. The way it was conducted was fecking awful.
3/10 barring the players being drastically better than i expect.

Dante

Average bang
Probably 7 out of 10.

Though it depends on the system Ole wants to play for the rest of the season.

I've never been convinced we needed Sancho when we already have such a great goalscoring trio up front. Obviously, Sancho provides more creativity than Martial, Rashford, Greenwood. But failure to sign Sancho just means we'll be concentrating our chance creation through Pogba and Bruno instead. Not much of a drop in quality there. The coaches will need to get the midfield balance right around them, but that was always going to be the case.

We've strengthened midfield, strengthened the attack, strengthened at fullback, and strengthened at goalkeeper. The CBs still need work, but I can understand wanting to give Mengi and Tuanzebe a chance. For a young team that finished with the highest number of points in the second half of last season, that's not as bad as some are making out.

Importantly, United have also drawn a line in the sand to say "we won't be taken advantage of in the market". The next time a selling club wants to hold us to ransom, they'll think twice about using that strategy. Missing out on Galacticos may have been a painful pill for many to swallow this summer. But I think we'll feel the benefit in the longer term.

Big name transfers are nice. United fans should know by now that they're no guarantee of success.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
2/10 for me. We’ve not fixed our most glaring issues with the first 11. We needed a CB and a Right Winger — we’ve signed neither.

Telles, van de Beek are good players but how many minutes will they play this season.

Armadillo seems like a nice young talent and it’s exciting but he’s not coming until 2021 and is still raw as feck apparently.

Whothefecundo Pellestri.

Cavani could have been signed 3 months ago. Signed up, integrated into our squad and fit for Newcastle. It was obviously a buy out of desperation. I’ve yet to hear a solid argument that it wasn’t. He might do alright but who knows.

AshRK

I always become a tad excited when we sign young unknown players like Traore and Pellistri so would not totally bash the window. But this was the summer we should have taken some risk as that would have meant we would not have required to spend crazy amount next season. We will again play catch up come next season.

USREDEVIL

You had 1 job ed. You fecked it up.
3/10
VDB = good signing. Might start later but for now, seems a sub.
Telles = ok not bad. good signing; might be a sub or even start
Armadillo = seems like a prospect so whatever, not going to start
Cavani = sanchez/falcao esque. Backup striker, not going to start.
Pallisteri = nice name but who?

Only 3 because I'm not sure we have a better starting 11 and we desperately needed that. If we had signed only Sancho, i'd have given the window a 6. Him and a starting LB or CB = 9.

Last edited:

Verminator

We needed 1st team additions.
We got maybe one?
Why blow so much on a RW that won't play?
Why deadline day, for youth players and a free-agent?

This was a lesson in shafting the manager.
What a reward for getting 3rd!

Zoo

It’s bad because the key positions haven’t been addressed: RW and CB.

Pughnichi

It’s tough to be so frustrated. Covid is having a real impact.

Reported 120M Sancho fee was/is unjustifiable at this time.

Cavani could have been a primary target but we wanted to save 0.5M bringing him in later.

20M is going rate for widely reported quality youth prospects... but doesn’t help us right now

DVB I think we can all agree looks a tidy player and good value

Telles. I have no idea. Plenty of LBs coming into the league in recent years and not really done much/anything. His attacking output must be better than what we’ve got. Little deceiving though cos he’s on penalties.

As ever, hindsight has proven that better signings were attainable

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
It’s tough to be so frustrated. Covid is having a real impact.

Reported 120M Sancho fee was/is unjustifiable at this time.

Cavani could have been a primary target but we wanted to save 0.5M bringing him in later.

20M is going rate for widely reported quality youth prospects... but doesn’t help us right now

DVB I think we can all agree looks a tidy player and good value

Telles. I have no idea. Plenty of LBs coming into the league in recent years and not really done much/anything. His attacking output must be better than what we’ve got. Little deceiving though cos he’s on penalties.

As ever, hindsight has proven that better signings were attainable
Really? I guess our premier league rivals have missed the memo.

Leethal

3/10.

And I'm being generous.

Cavani: Are you having a fecking laugh? He hasn't played for 7 fecking months, doesn't fit our team's strengths, and frankly, in his last season if he wasn't able to score in the farmers league with Mbappe and Neymar feeding him, what chance has he got it with the dross we have surrounding him?

Telles: This one is not bad, I suppose, but the jury is definitely out on him. Defensively woeful, but decent going forward, I guess. With Ole seemingly refusing to shift from 4231, and our defence being a steaming pile of shit of late, he could end up being somewhat of a liability.

Van De Beek: Interesting one, this one. Obviously not a bad bit of business, but, again, we need to be buying first team players and shifting the shite in our first team to the bench as our squad players; instead of buying players as back-ups to them.

The two youth team players: Our first team is shit. Why are we blowing some of our transfer funds that could be used to reinforce our first team, (that so desperately needs it), on a couple of unproven kids?

I hate to be so pessimistic, as I am typically full of optimism every year, but I'm fecking fuming at our club. 42 years I've been supporting United, and this is the worst I've felt in regards to our lack of ambition and seeming acceptance of mediocrity. Seems to me that our board saw us finish 3rd last year, (a massive overachievement), and thought to themselves: "Nice one, this team got us the champions league, that'll do us," and thought that we could simply do it again with what we had. feck winning the League again or the Champions League - that's not our ambition anymore, as the investment required is more than the clubs winning to spend. We all need to temper our expectations and not blame Ole here, as the card's he has been dealt are fecking atrocious.

AneRu

Overall very underwhelming , we badly needed a quality pacy CB and a RW ready to step from day one , we got neither. These should have been our top two targets.

People are really overrating our current first 11 on a mini run they went on last year that they had not produced before or have since.

We have picked up a few players with potential who may or may not make it at the top level.

We have become the next season club , where everything we do is geared towards next season. No matter what year it is is we are always looking at next season but next season always turns out similar to the last 8 under achieving seasons.
I think that's a bit harsh and overly pessimistic. That little run lasted from the end of January to around three games before the end of the season. We now have depth and competition but obviously it hurts to miss out on Sancho.

Greenwood is our starter on the RW and has the potential to be just as good as Sancho albeit with a different style.

The other issues that we have seen in the team could just be a result of lacking a proper preseason and maybe a matter of just tinkering with the system a bit. I think we should use either Fred or McTominay in place of Pogba against top ten sides and suddenly that team becomes difficult to play against.

ChorltonReds

2/10 (with the caveat of revisiting it in 5 years if Diallo is the real thing) and here's why -

VDB - good player good signing BUT the one outfield position we were ok (see Bruno/Pogba), so what's the thinking, where's the plan?
Cavani - okay signing if this was 2015. Injured and touted around Europe. Smacks of desperation. (I will be delighted if this is thrown back in my face).
Telles - 27 year old Brazilian with one cap. This country caps bare players for commercial reasons. Done ok scoring pens in the Portuguese league. Ok player and signing - again I hope to be proved wrong.
Diallo - don't lie you hadn't heard of him in May. But who knows could prove to be Ronaldoesque.
Pellestri - see Diallo.

Sold - Sanchez and Smalling.
Still on United's wage - Jones, Romero, Perreria, Rojo, Dalot, Grant, Lingard, Mata etc.

Sancho - free run at an amazing player but screwed up due to arrogance and incompetence. Next summer Madrid, Liverpool et al will also be in. Will we even be in the Champions League to compete with that?

GK - 4 on the books taking £600k per week wages.

Centre backs - many on the books and none of them good enough to lace the boots of Bruce let alone Vidic or Ferdinand. But no serious attempt for Koulibaly or Upamecano.

Plus - the actual further embarrassment of all the above and how the people running the club make us even more of a laughing stock.

And so on and so on and so on.