Rate the 22/23 season

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
I understand your sentiment, but following this logic we've had a 6/10 season now, but 7.5/10 if our Milanese overlords beat the fraud in a couple of days.
Correct. No trebble and we're back to 7/10 (we still lost the first Manchester derby cup final).

cyberman

8/10.
Only lower if you thought we would be top 3 and should win two cups at the start of the season.

Eric_the_Red99

I’d say 7 is fair in terms of where we’ve been in recent years. But probably 5.5/6 in terms of where we should be, given our resources and the fact we’ve been ‘rebuilding’ for a decade now. (On that basis I’d rate most of our post Fergie seasons well below 5)

Today’s result doesn’t change anything really - losing to the cheating plastics is neither here nor there. But a league cup win doesn’t make up for being miles behind Arsenal in the league and not even getting to the final of the Europa League.

I’m hopeful that we can improve on this next season though. But that hope could be dashed by our summer transfer window.

MoskvaRed

8/10.

I thought it would take us longer to be finishing top 4 and winning domestic trophies. Even today was more frustration than humiliation, despite the gulf in quality between the two squads. Also bear in mind the ridiculous number of games we have played with a threadbare squad.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Given the level of adversity in where we were last year, and the Ronaldo situation, 8/10.

The club and Ten Hag need to follow up ruthlessly in the transfer market for it to mean anything, though. If we're back in August watching De Gea lump the ball to the opposition all game again, or there's any notion of relying on Martial to stay fit to even be our second choice striker, it's all basically been for nothing.

Chairman Steve

I’d say 8/10 too considering all the shit that’s happened this year off the pitch, like our star striker getting himself sacked and the ownership situation. Crucial injuries and absentees fecked us at certain points of the season too.

Peaked at the end of February when in one week we knocked Barcelona out of Europe and won the League Cup.

city-puma

6.5/10.
Still disappointed overall. But, we have to consider all shit situations ETH has to clean up and overcome, it’s a good season. To continue development, it’s not something fully under his control. Glazers must go and do it quickly!

Walters_19_MuFc

I'm going with the general consensus of 7. First and foremost, the culture has changed. There's one boss and his name is ten Hag. There's a togetherness, and I now enjoy watching the team. On the whole, they've worked hard and they've reaped the benefits of that.

In regards to achievements this season, third in the league, a trophy, final of the FA Cup and a good run in the Europa.

Think what let us down was:

- A bad start to the season
- Lack of goals
- Poor away record

I don't think we'll have such a poor start to the season again under ten Hag. I think he was maybe a bit naive about the EPL and has since found a way of winning games in a number of ways.

Lack of goals will hopefully be addressed with a striker signing.

Poor away record is the one we really need to improve on. Whether that's solidifying the team a bit more or, as ten Hag quite clearly pointed out, being better in the first phase, keeping the ball, and just being harder to beat. Get more energy into the side, and get a goalscorer who, in those tight games, can score a goal out of nowhere.

If we improve on all of those, then I think we'll give it a right go next season.

All in all, despite the result today, I'm happy with our season. We've showed progress, and ultimately, that would have been the target for ten Hag.

Kopral Jono

9/10.

It would have been a perfect ten if we had beaten City tonight, I'm not kidding. For the entire year we either had CR37, a crock or a Besiktas reject leading the line for us and still we managed to win our first silverware in six years, finish third and reach the Cup final. And has anyone forgot how diabolically bad we were last season?

fallengt

7/10. Okay-ish. eet the expectation.
City going to win treble and it's a shame that United could've stopped it but we all know this wasn't going to happen. Club has too many weak minded players for the task
Next transfer windows will be crucial for anyone involve and be the pointer to whenever ETH's the one.

ArbeitervonWien

We overachieved. I was expecting a big leap forward in terms of our style of play i.e. finally playing lege artis, instead of kick and pray as we did under Solskjær or whatever we did under Rangnick.

I hoped for a top-4-finish and I dreamed of a cup win. So I got all I expected, hoped and dreamed of (even if it was just that little league cup)!

Unless we get bought by the Quataris and become a fecking plastic club like City, I am really excited about the next season.

Blood Mage

Solid 7/10. From the Liverpool victory to the Carabao Cup final we were fantastic. Shame about the drop-off after that.

8/10 for me.
Much much better in the league
Learning how to break down a low block despite not having a proper striker all season
How he has dealt with Ronaldo and Maguire has been textbook.
We have played over 60 matches this year with a world cup stuck in the middle and a very thin squad.
All the summer signings have looked good in patches at least and Licha and Casemiro have been monsters.
A trophy and a comfortable top four have been delivered, with a deeper squad and more quality we would have been very close to the Europa League as well.
Today we played some nice neat football, we are slowly but surely moving away from sitting deep and counter attacking in big matches.
With another decent transfer window, a new striker, midfielder and goalkeeper we will be better again next season
I would expect north of eighty points next season
In ETH I trust

Oranges038

It's been better than expected. Aside from a couple of embarrassing defeats the overall performances have been good. The last couple of months have really highlighted the lack of strength in depth.

It's also been a good season to show many players in this squad, no matter who the coach is, they just aren't good enough and need to go.

Overall 7.5 out of ten.

Revan

Assumptionman
7 or 7.5 out of 10. Which is as good, if not better, than we could have expected, and I would have taken this season last summer.

Third place with 75 points (which always gives UCL football) was very good. Winning the Mickey Mouse Cup was also nice, considering that we do not win much nowadays.

The football was bad for most part, and I think the signings were at best, underwhelming (considering the money spent). The tactics were weird at times, and we got humiliated several times, but it is a process.

We need several good signings, and hopefully with fewer matches, there is more coaching, for next season. Considering that the baseline of this season has been quite low, we should expect to do quite a bit better next season.

Todd

My expectations were to stay in the mix for 4th and make a decent showing in the cups. So third place winning a cup and ending up a beaten finalist in another is a very good season that definitely exceeds expectations.

7/5/10

If we'd made a better decision in the January window as far as bringing in a striker, this could've been a 9/10 season.

horse_pills

I think people forget how completely diabolical we were at the end of last season. We were an absolute mess, and ended up 35 points off the top of the league, finishing 6th after getting hammered 4-0 by Brighton and losing our last game to Crystal Palace - all whilst Ralph Rangnick had given up and was laying into anyone and everyone.
ETH was being advised against even taking us on, we were in such a shambles.
Easy 8 out of 10 for me after the complete state we were in just 12 months ago.

Skills

Snitch
Hard to say tbh. Can't argue against the results - but as a fan of the club, would I ever fondly remember this as a standalone season? The answer for me is a fairly comfortable no.

Now if ETH actually does something of note next season, then you could say yeah it was just part of the journey. But we've heard the same story for the lot that came before him.

MoskvaRed

There seems to be some discrepancies among the responses - Are we judging this in the context of what ETH inherited or by where United have been in the past and aspire to be again? I assumed it was the former.

Jev

7.5 out of 10. It was really important to end the season on a high note, not just in terms of getting top four but also some good performances to give us some optimism going into the next season. Looked like it might derail a month ago.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
6.5/10 but ETH management I rate as 8.5/10

frostbite

7/10

Positives: Cup, home games.

Negatives: away games, Wout (too many minutes), lack of passion in important games (FA final, Sevilla).

Sweet Square

7/10

Didn’t expect a trophy or to get top 4 so easily but our away form was awful and we played some very shite football at times.

Still very much in rebuild mode.

casmucm

8/10 would have snapped your hand off for top 3 and a trophy at the season start. Desperately need a new goal keeper and a striker to move forward.

siw2007

7/10

We achieved our minimum target of top 4. Finished 3rd which is even better and we got a trophy, reached a 2nd final.

It’s a good season for the club. Just need to lock on now and not sink back to 6th.

ShinjiNinja26

It’s been a decent season overall. I think we’d all have snapped someone’s hand off for top 4 and a cup of some description at the start of the season. What’s certain for me is ETH is the real deal and if we get new ownership and he gets proper backing I’ve no doubts we’ll return to winning ways in terms of trophies before long.

Red Star One

There seems to be some discrepancies among the responses - Are we judging this in the context of what ETH inherited or by where United have been in the past and aspire to be again? I assumed it was the former.
I think the former. It’s impossible to judge against the ambition and where we’ve been 20 years ago. But it’s important to take the money spent by ETH already in the account and think how much of that is an investment for the future.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Trusting Ronaldo at the beginning was bad enough, but then again we managed to loan even worse... Heskey could do better. Add to that overrated transfer window in which we thought Eriksen is still proper Premier League player. Ten Hag wasn't backed enough and this could be case for another summer.

Title race chance didn't improved at all, plus at times passing rate under pressure felt almost worse than before. On top of that Arsenal managed to gain massive progress in the league, while our goal difference turned into something shocking, way below current top 6 standard.

6/10 is max I can give and it's not a negative rating at all. It's actually high considering we're at the end of the season and Glazers are still here. It's just this heroic fight for top 4 is getting bit cringe for supposed big club standards, especially after spending tons and still far off from any cohesive team status. Don't even get me started on Mickey Mouse cup being any indication of football progress in terms of ambitions. It's just not.

Reddevildans

Made a comment about our season being 6/10 a month or so ago but I'd now rate it 7/10 simply because of a third place finish and ucl qualification guaranteed.

Ten hag is the best manager we've had so far since ferguson. He's done very well since the debacle at the start of the season. Improved our players and our quality of football is slightly better. He's been severely handicapped by a lack of a reliable number 9, injuries to key players and lack of squad depth. In that sense he's done incredible.

I'm still very cautious. We've had these type of seasons after a disappointing season and a manager sacked before. We've finished in ucl spots and won a cup before. The question remains can he overcome pep in a season (lets be honest it's a monumental hurdle to do that) and can he get the signings right. So far our signings have been average with martinez being the best. Eriksen has petered off. Anthony is poor. Malacia is nothing special. I worry about casamiero on a long term basis even next season.

Then there's the football. We simply need more control against the majority of sides. That starts with control in midfield. We're still relying on moments and giving the opposition too many chances. I hope he gets it right. Big summer ahead.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
I think we’d have won against anyone other than City today. They stole trophies and history off Liverpool and we cheered. Today they did it to us.

It’s been a good season with some obvious moments that will for haunt us forever and must never happen again.

El Zoido

We need good recruitment in the summer, and 4-5 top players need to come in. Not playing Thursday night will help (assuming we don’t bomb the CL group stage and end up back in EL), but it’ll probably serve the squad well to not go deep in every competition again.

Livewire1974

If it moves, report it.
Start of season objective was top 4 finish and maybe winning a cup.

We finished 3rd, got a cup and beaten in another final, we beat Barcelona and went far in Europe only to be knocked out by the eventual winners.

It's a 10/10.

How we push on is what matters now.

Von Mistelroum

I would agree with 7/10 maybe 6/10 though I dunno, as we've had some terrible displays and real humiliations this season. It's very difficult for EtH to get much out of some of our deadwood though, there's so many of them too so he's definitely got my trust going forward.

Signings: Martinez 9/10. Casemiro 8.5/10. Antony 2/10, Malacia 6/10.

Loans: Weghorst 1/10 (he gets 1 for shithousery in the cup final). Sabitzer 5/10 (there's a good player in there but he needed a run of games with Case).