Rate the 22/23 season

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Relative to my expectations pre-season, 8/10. Though obviously if we were where we should be it would be less than that.

Thought it was more likely than not we'd finish outside the top four but we instead finished third. We also won a trophy and got to the final of another, beaten by a team you'd expect to beat us.

Against that, there were some heavy losses, going out of the Europa League as we did was disappointing and I would have liked a bit more progress in style of play. But in the context of all the positive and in a WC-impacted season, those are relatively minor issues.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
We’re a million miles from where we were which is a huge positive. The team needs to step it up a level next season with investment in the squad otherwise I think we’ll go backwards with motivation.

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
8/10
3rd -1
Squad Quality -2
Bad Result -2
Home +1
Cup Win +3
Cup Loss -1
CL Qualification +1
Player Development +1

A very good season overall. Expected better teams ended the season trophy less. A trophy is always good one especially when combine with another final + CL.

Tyrion

8/10. People will easily forget just how shit we were prior to this season….if we’d been offered this before the season everyone would have been delighted
Agreed. 8/10

At the start people thought we'd be midtable and near the end some said we'd be 6th.

We won our first trophy in a few years, got into the top 4 and got rid of several of our problems (Ronaldo, Maguire).

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
8/10 relative to expectations (which is what matters when judging the manager and team's performance)

6.5/10 in absolute terms (i.e., compared to what the perfect season for a club of our stature should look like)

Trex

I think ETH maxed out the quality at his disposal, I know we're united and have high standard but considering the current group its a 9/10. Would have been a 10/10 if we had managed to win today.

Castia

We don't say such stuff about Mr Frederico Rodrigues de Paula Santos in my thread :nono:

Our biggest issue in the midfield last months has been Eriksen. I like the lad but he was nowhere near the level required to start for United at this stage of his career. Massive improvement needed there.
I agree but you sometimes see the quality in Eriksen. Fred for the vast majority of his time here has been absolutely terrible he’s a mistake waiting to happen

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
7/10
Season before 3/10

That being said, I'd rate ETH's performance higher than 7/10, but the club could have supported him in January when we were looking good. And some players have not helped themselves.

Red Star One

I agree but you sometimes see the quality in Eriksen. Fred for the vast majority of his time here has been absolutely terrible he’s a mistake waiting to happen
I never had doubts about quality in Eriksen, it’s just that for me first step in improving our team is having more energy and resilience in the midfield. And he wasn’t all that

Tarrou

9/10

from shambles to improving players, galvanised squad, trophy winners and top four

wangyu

6/10

- quality of football not good enough
- no real title challenge
- disappointing European campaign

+ a trophy
+ a final
+ 3rd place

Most other seasons post Fergie have been below 5 to give some perspective

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
Our away record. That 7-0 drubbing and Sevila make it a 7/10 season. Much improved from previous seasons but still a long way to go. Right man is at the helm which makes all the difference.

justsomebloke

If it wasn't for the fact City are going to emulate this club's greatest achievement, it'd be a solid 7.5/10 from me.

After that shit performance in a crucial game for this club's history and legacy, it's a 6/10. As unfair as that sounds, you cannot take context away from football and sport in general.

Had we won, it would have been a 9/10.
That wasn't a shit performance, it was a good performance. Good enough to give us a real chance to win it, which is all you can ask in a final against a team that has recently demolished and outclassed Bayern and Real Madrid.

7/10 hits the spot for me.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
6/10

Positives
A trophy won, a feeling that the players actually want to play for the club again, Lisandro Martinez full stop, some great games (Barcelona tie was amazing) and some great goals. Dealt well with the Ronaldo situation too. I believe in what ETH says and accept it will take a while to fully become his team and his playing style, even if it always feels like other clubs just crack on with a new manager.

Negatives
The 7-0, being miles off City, the 7--0, too many games where we're 'moments FC' and we don't appear to be doing anything you'd think an ETH team would do, the 7-0, losing the FA Cup final, thin squad, the creeping feeling of doubt at times during the season, the 7-0. ETH needs to be better with changing the game and reacting and he needs to blood some more youth in rather than running the first XI into the ground. The formation that simply doesn't help our midfielders (whether they're the required quality or not) that means we're so naive away from home. Oh and the 7-0.

Canucantona20

8.5/10

Considering the World Cup break, Ronaldo, Greenwood situations. The way he managed that and letting Sancho have a break, was brilliant. He has a great balance of man management and has a great tactical mind too.

If you asked me in the beginning of the season that we would makethe FA Cup final, win the League cup and coke top 4, I would call that a great season.

Also, he didn’t have a consistent striker for the entire season. Casimero and Erikson was out for a large bit of the season. Losing both center backs towards the end of the season hurt too. All these were out of his control.

I’m glad he his our manager and if we have a successful transfer window, I think we can compete for the league next year.

GueRed

7/10

Positives. Top Four (which I predicted) Bonus a League Cup. Great Home form. ten Hag getting the players playing like a team again. Casemiro and Martinez. Old Rashford back.

Negatives. Away form. Humiliation against City and Liverpool. Losing another cup final. We're still some way off from winning a league title.