Rate the season

Smores

6/10 for me.

We won nothing did terrible in Europe and basically finished slightly above those who had terrible seasons. Have we made progress? Maybe but it's not a lot, onto next season.

lysglimt

Scout
Strong 7. In my opinion we finished higher than what we could realistically expect - and considering we got off to that awful start - it was really strong to finish 2nd.

+
2nd in the league
The away Form
Cavani
Shaw
Maguire
Bruno
Greenwoods last 2 months
Garners form at Forest
Watching so many of our youngsters perform well both for the reserves and in the first-team

-
Losing the Final
The performance against Liverpool
Our home form
Martial
Our squad

Ledom

Said at the start that top 4 was progressive, puts in a good place. Top 2 seemingly doesn't impress some, yes it sucked to lose the EL but I don't want to be in the competition in the first place, so it wouldn't have garnered much enthusiasm from me if we had won it.

7/10 honestly, we over achieved with the squad and there is at least in my opinion a clear answer to where we can improve our squad and game.

lysglimt

Scout
I'd give it a 4 or a 5. Personally cant believe are thinking of this as a 7 season.

It's been a forgetful season.
And I can't believe you can think of this as a 4 season. If we had ended 6th - then I would agree with you. But at the end of the day we were second best - and that is more than most people would have expected before the season.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
It's a 7, maybe 7.5 overall. Comfortable top 4 finish, good campaigns in FA Cup and Europa League and a bit silly exit in CL but still with very good games against PSG and Leipzig to start which showed we can compete there as well.

If it weren't for the Leipzig game and the bad period around January which got us out of title race sooner than I would have wanted (did not expect to win it anyway), it would have been a 9. Fine margins.

World Game

League
10 - Champions
9 - 2nd
8 - 3rd
7 - 4th

CL
10 - Champions
9 - Runner up
8 - Semis
7 - Quarters
6 - Ro16
5 - Knocked out in groups and win EL
4 - Knocked out in groups and runner up EL

FA Cup (half weighting)

5 - Champions
4 - Runner up
3 - Semis
2 - Quarters
1 - ...

League Cup (half weighting)
5 - Champions
4 - Runner up
3 - Semis
2 - Quarters
1 - ...

Total = 18/30 which is 6/10.

eire-red

There were more positives this season than past ones for sure. I look at this squad, and some of our performances and it's really fine margins. We're not quite the complete package just yet, but not as far away as it might seem.

Positives for me we're seeing us play genuine progressive, attacking and entertaining football for large parts of the season. All the comebacks, goals scored, and youth coming through are huge pluses for me.

Greenwood for me is a real positive story, and just from the few minutes I've seen, I think Amad and Hannibal have shown enough to potentially make a breakthrough.

While I'm deflated, I've never had more expectation from the team than off the back of this season. Ole has finally settled on a style, a relatively settled starting line up, and has players he trusts.

In terms of actual results, it's a 6.5/10 for me. But looking at the season as a whole, it could have been a different story had we not bottled it at crucial times. I think this season was a real learning curve for this squad, and I'm excited for next season.

Contrast to our third season under Jose, everyone was expecting the blow up that was to come. With Ole, it all seems very settled in the camp.

drunkmonkmeth

Supports
Toronto FC!
I was going to give it a 6/10 but 5/10 is more fitting.

The only positive this season is placing 2nd. It wasnt because we are good its because everyone else was bad. This season has had many embarassing performances and moments. Europa league final is fresh but the way we dropped out of the fa cup. 6-1 to spurs at home. 4-2 to liverpool at home. Losing to some Turkish side i dont remember the name of and conceding a goal with zero players in our own half. Then goin on to drop out of the chl when we had the advantage. The sheer smount of set piece goals weve conceded...

Ive actuslly gone and convinced myself that 5/10 is generous. 4/10 is what we deserve. This club is about winning trophies.

rron10

Supports
Sir Alex
I was going to give it a 6/10 but 5/10 is more fitting.

The only positive this season is placing 2nd. It wasnt because we are good its because everyone else was bad. This season has had many embarassing performances and moments. Europa league final is fresh but the way we dropped out of the fa cup. 6-1 to spurs at home. 4-2 to liverpool at home. Losing to some Turkish side i dont remember the name of and conceding a goal with zero players in our own half. Then goin on to drop out of the chl when we had the advantage. The sheer smount of set piece goals weve conceded...

Ive actuslly gone and convinced myself that 5/10 is generous. 4/10 is what we deserve. This club is about winning trophies.
Surely there’s also the defeat at home against Sheffield which was depressing but there were also very good moments that have to be remembered:

Win against Spurs away
Win against Soton 9 0
Leeds at home 6 2
Leipzig and Psg in CL, counted for nothing but still
Liverpool in the FA cup
Win at Etihad
Everton away 3 1

buckooo1978

In the context of a transfer window where we barely strengthened I give the season

7/10
lots to be positive about and progress is undeniable

because of the end though it feels like a 5/10 which is a shame

my worry is this is as good as it gets due to a dual failing in lack of Glazer investment and the poor management of the team/club at times which might ultimately stop us developing what is required to win trophies

we look a solid top 4 team

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
5.5/10.

Some signs of progress finishing 2nd but for me there were far too many disappointments that ultimately overshadowed the season.

- Loss v Leipzig and finishing 3rd in the CL group stage especially after the start we made

- limp title challenge

- And ofcourse, the coup de grace, the pathetic EL final performance.

CoopersDream

I think a 7/10 is fair. A bit dissapointing in CL, especially after the start we got and then a good EL run until the final. League campaign was strong, albeit faltered at key moments. Domestic again was pretty decent. Would have been an 8/10 if we won the final.

I will say that this is based on results only, if we factor in performance, I'd probably reduce it to a 6/10 as we have been really poor at times even when we won.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
6/10
since SAF retired my interest in United/Football has been waning season upon season. I really wish I had the positivity of some on here thinking it's the best we've played in a decade. Dull as feckin dishwater as a whole for me but each to their own.
It's a progress mate. Steady progress. In a 6 years' time United will be UCL dark horse.

Superunknown

I'd go for a 6/10, maybe pushing it to a 6.5/10.
I honestly think that the league position flatters us a little. So many inconsistent performances, especially at home. Shaw impressed me this season, but for every one player that impressed, there was one who underperformed. It didn't truly feel to me like a distinctive, clear progress from the season before.

The Summer window was a great time to seriously invest and push on. Cavani was a great signing, Amad is one for the future, and Telles did well, but...it could have been so much more. We now need to go into this window looking to seriously upgrade/improve the squad just to maintain second, in my opinion.

When it clicked, we looked like a seriously good team. Then, in those games where it didn't (which there were many), it showed that we are still a long way off challenging.

RedDevilzFox

6/10 seems about right. Nothing to celebrate but not a disaster either. Secured top 4 so CL money keeps rolling in for glazers although that's meaningless if we can't even make QF.

phenry

We need a poll. I'm going with a 7 based on overall improvements

humdinger

We finished second, primarily due to Liverpool's injuries, and they still nearly caught us. Everything else was quite shit. 5 out of 10.

McTerminator

We’ve achieved a top 4 place and a losers medal in the Europa. 6/10

Any manager with this team could have done just as well!
Whatever you say Mr Ince... it’s like LVG and Moyes (with more money spent and/or better squads) never happened.

daveskimufc

The football is just poor, so poor.
The frustrating thing is the expectation, hope and belief.

rashford has been poor the 2nd half of the season, but look how good he was in the first half. Bruno petered out, just knackered. Fred and mct can’t move the ball forward and why can we find an effective partner for maguire.
6/10

Doracle

For those rating 4 or 5, are you rating based on our actual squad and realistic expectations at the start of the season or ignoring that and just basing it on what a “Manchester United season” should be?

Noodle

Supports
Chelsea
League
10 - Champions
9 - 2nd
8 - 3rd
7 - 4th

CL
10 - Champions
9 - Runner up
8 - Semis
7 - Quarters
6 - Ro16
5 - Knocked out in groups and win EL
4 - Knocked out in groups and runner up EL

FA Cup (half weighting)
5 - Champions
4 - Runner up
3 - Semis
2 - Quarters
1 - ...

League Cup (half weighting)
5 - Champions
4 - Runner up
3 - Semis
2 - Quarters
1 - ...

Total = 18/30 which is 6/10.
I like how logical this is

Maticmaker

A bit of an 'up and down'season for me, overall a 6/10.

I was surprised we finished second, but looking at final results had we picked up more points at home, we just might have given City a few nerves on the run in for PL.
Some good wins against the 'old enemy' in City and Leeds, but dismal showing against Spurs and Liverpool.
Cavani shows our lads how to play at CF, glad he is staying another season.
Managed to blood a few youngsters some of whom may well go all the way.
Realise how important Maguire has become to our overall performances.
Worries about consistency; its good that we seem able to play our way back, most of the time, but worry why we so often go behind in the first place; at times it looks like someone somewhere throws a switch and we go all 'wobbly-leg' for a while?
We do have some 'match winning' players, although beginning to worry that they are all in the 'Berbatov mould', i.e. they can turn it on when there is no pressure, but not in 'big games' like semis and finals.... ?
Ole I think is also great at inching us forward, there have been improvements, but just like some of his players, wondering if he is not a 'big game manager'? Still if Pep can feck up his tactics, Ole can be forgiven.... but no more Ole, next final we win OK?

Last edited:

NFM

2nd in league, finalist in one of the two European cup competitions; good solid season, one penalty kick from very good.
If 3 good additions made in the transfer season, United could be serious challengers, given the depth of resources of our competitors that is all anyone can hope for.